Personal extension cords now forbidden

mangetakk

We're cuurently on the Millie, traveling Vancouver to Seward. On departure, one bag didn't make it through the Celebrity security. Had to go to security to retreive it and was told that I can no longer bring my own extension cord for my CPAP / phone / computer. They confiscated my cord, said that they would return it on departure, and provided a ship provided cord with a single tap. I understand the fire concerns of an inadequate extension cord. Mine was certainily as good or better than the one the ship provided. The front line security did recognize that my cord was high quality and did make a call to a security supervisor, who would not take the time to look at my cord, and insisted that I use the ship provided cord. So just be aware that personal extension cords and power strips are newly added to the Celebrity forbidden list.

Seriously, I'd love to hear if they are doing this on the other ships, too. We always travel with a power cord - there are never enough outlets in the cabins, especially close to the mirror for a blow dryer.

On our Millie cruise in late Jan 2010 the room steward ask ed us to put it away. seams some young traveler cause a room fire by pluging in to many electrical items

Yea, sure

Like the cabins are not fused.

Tongue in cheek

Maybe it was a ground fault. Ground I meant sead.

We just had a power strip that we carried on board the Eclipse and no one said anything. We were 3 adults, all with laptops, DVD player, cell phones, cameras, etc. I was surprised to see your post. Not one word was said to us about it.

We just had a power strip that we carried on board the Eclipse and no one said anything. We were 3 adults, all with laptops, DVD player, cell phones, cameras, etc. I was surprised to see your post. Not one word was said to us about it.

Here is my list

0. GPS charger

1. laptop

2. still camera

3. toothbrushes (2)

4. video camera

5. fan

6. noise machine

7. PDA

8. cell phones (2)

9. crok pot

10. Alarm clock

11. Chanukkah tree lights

Need about 14 outlets

Have been on many cruises, carry cell phones(try extremely hard never to use them) and camcorder and can certainly understand the need for a cord for a C-Pap machine but other than that I've just never understood why a power strip is needed...have never considered carrying one...but now that I've seen derf5585's list of needs it finally becomes clear....he did however forget his night light and electric razor...so I guess that means he actually needs 16....

Here is my list

0. GPS charger

1. laptop

2. still camera

3. toothbrushes (2)

4. video camera

5. fan

6. noise machine

7. PDA

8. cell phones (2)

9. crok pot

10. Alarm clock

11. Chanukkah tree lights

Need about 14 outlets

We brought everything but #9 on our cruise, (& just 1 charger for toothbrushes) & my lights were for our tiny xmas tree, & no, I'm not kidding:eek:

Crock pot? Why on earth?

Prohibition of extension cords could be a requirement of =X='s insurance provider.

#11 in the list says Chanukkah tree lights, so perhaps the poster is Orthodox and requires Kosher food? Maybe they want to cook their own food for Shabos?

I'm a bit confused. Extension cords = no, but power strips = possibly? I think some of these tiny extension cords where you can plug in three or four things at the end may be a bit unsafe, but a power strip surely is safer than one of those, right?

We usually bring a power strip with six outlets and a separate extension cord for the War Department's nose hose machine. On our December cruise aboard the Millie our butler politely asked us not to use our extension cord. He then got one belonging to the ship which she used for the duration. Ours wasn't confiscated though.

Two years ago we did have a small fire break out in our cabin on the Connie. I had an identical six outlet power strip then with a 2' cord permanently attached. I left a spare battery for my underwater camera charging on the power strip. This small charger was the only thing plugged in. We heard the 'Bravo, Bravo, Bravo and our cabin number' call on a security person's radio where we were waiting to tour the bridge. Hmmm, not good news.

It wasn't clear whether the problem took place in the ship's electrical outlet itself or in the powerstrip. The blue-ish fire suppressant powder was all over both. We did have to change cabins and I did discard the powerstrip. The charger along with the camera battery were both fine. Bear in mind that this powerstrip's cord was 12 gauge, three conducter wire rated for 15 amp service. The wire was as heavy as the ship's extension cord but still something went wrong somewhere.

It will be interesting to see if the no personal extension cord rule does get enforced fleetwide.:eek::eek:

If Celebrity were not permitting power strips and extension cords...wouldn't you think they would list it on their web site? :rolleyes: I just checked and here is their CURRENT listing:

[B]What not to Pack [/b]

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

• *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

• Illegal Drugs & Substances

• Candles & Incense

• Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

• Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

• Skateboards & Surfboards

• Martial Arts Gear

• Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

• Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

• HAM Radios

• Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

• **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

I have to have a special extension cord for my scooter. If they don't allow this, they're going to have one very angry passenger on their hands. Many scooters cannot use just regular extension cords for their chargers. I hope they understand this.

I wonder why, after all these years, they're getting all ferklempt on this issue?

We took a power strip on our last cruise, on the advice of fellow travelers, and put it away as we never needed it. I used the outlet by the mirror to dry my hair, we charged camera batteries as needed (about 4 hours once a week), don't use cell phones nor laptops as we are on vacation--really didn't need more than was provided. I can see needing a cord maybe to reach to a cpap machine, but that's about it.

I did kind of screw up by leaving my electric hot oil turkey kettle at home. . .

Archived