sandals in Europe

I know about the dress code in churches as far as pants for men and no sleeveless tops or capris for women, but what about sandals? I'm trying to think of what to bring and I typically bring about 18 pairs of shoes for a 10 night cruise and I really need to cut down.

Not flip-flops, nice sandals.

Thanks for any answers

all I can is bring comforable walking shoes and leave the nice sandals for at night on the ship. You are going to be walking over uneven surfaces, in dirt asnd sand.....I am not a sneaker person and yet wore sneakers for most of the excursions .....no one cares what you look like comfort counts

I've never had a problem going into any churches, Vatican etc. wearing sandals. I have seen women stopped for wearing shorts or tank tops, but not for any footwear. However, I will second Jezzdog's suggestion -- if you are on a long shore excursion, you will definitely want to wear comfortable walking shoes. Your feet will thank you!

LeeAnne

Thanks for all your answers. I agree about the comfortable shoes, it's just that I will proably be wearing some sort of short sleeve sundresses (for lack of a better word) and sneakers just won't look good, so I now know I can wear flat sandals.

• 2 weeks later...

Lorraine,

I am with you on the shoe thing! Always have to bring tons of shoes. But last time we did the Med I learned my lesson. Compromise and do a modified old lady shoe. Saw too many broken ankles when we were there- can't do Pompeii in a flat sandal.

I just bought these below- they are not what I would buy generally, but they really do the trick- very comfortable and feel like I am well supported. Yeah, a little old lady but

they are alright and look great with capris. (I got them in the "natural".)

The best part is that for a 14 day cruise including these I will only bring TWO daytime-wear pairs of shoes- and maybe four for evening. My husband is astounded- he says the day remains to be seen....oh well!

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2782391&cm_ven=yahoo&cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=shoes:women:sandals&cm_ite=softspots_'tela'_slingback:s06665&dt=02-06-05

Lorraine!!!Yikes!!! 18 pairs of shoes!!!

I bring one pair of walking shoes, one pair of sandals and a pair for evening, all in neutral colours. At home I have every colour of the rainbow but I can't fathom bringing more than the minimum on a cruise. Where would I put all my shopping goodies:)

Because shoes take up so much room, and there is a weight limit on luggage, I pack one pair of Clark neutral sandals for daytime wear, and one pair of black heels for evening wear. I found these two colors go with everything and has worked well on our last 7 cruises. Have a great cruise.

**Make sure to break shoes in before traveling. I forgot to do this on one trip and would up with a purse full of bandaids.

Lorraine,

I am with you on the shoe thing! Always have to bring tons of shoes. But last time we did the Med I learned my lesson. Compromise and do a modified old lady shoe. Saw too many broken ankles when we were there- can't do Pompeii in a flat sandal.

I just bought these below- they are not what I would buy generally, but they really do the trick- very comfortable and feel like I am well supported. Yeah, a little old lady but

they are alright and look great with capris. (I got them in the "natural".)

The best part is that for a 14 day cruise including these I will only bring TWO daytime-wear pairs of shoes- and maybe four for evening. My husband is astounded- he says the day remains to be seen....oh well!

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2782391&cm_ven=yahoo&cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=shoes:women:sandals&cm_ite=softspots_'tela'_slingback:s06665&dt=02-06-05

By the way MY touring sandals aren't much better than yours...BUT my feet don't hurt!

Absolutely you can wear capris in the churches. They cover your knees, so they are really just short slacks. I wore capris all over Italy, including in the churches. So have no fear, wear them if you'd like! :)

By the way, when I've been in Italy in the heat of the summer, I've worn no-sleeve tops and simply brought a lovely shawl to tie around my neck and cover my shoulders when I went into churches.

LeeAnne

We were in Europe last July and everyone was wearing capris! I saw them deny access to one church for shorts and tank tops in Florence. They gave them paper gowns to put on.

My feet hurt the whole time because of the amount of walking. I took Reeboks and sandals and alternated during the day. Many were wearing sandals, but Mephistos, Birkenstocks, etc. which have good support and are comfortable.

I just feel the need to throw in a European point of view. Or lets say a humble request:

It would be so much appreciated if tourists, may they be American or European or what ever, would not always walk around in sneakers, Birkenstocks, shorts, t-shirts and so on. Just take a look how e.g. native Roman ladies and gentlemen dress when they are in the city.

A classy town looks so much better if people play their part.

Of course hiking or visiting Pompeji or similiar is something different.

Agree with you 3 dogmom.

I'm scratching my head about the 'Roman lady'.

Does this mean a toga?

I LOVE your response. I try to be neat and appropriate, however Roman ladies didn't treck all over in 100 degree heat. I usually wear a denim skirt or kakhi shirt if it is very hot, never shorts. If I am going to a church a short sleeved polo, or I carry a scarf to throw over my shoulders.

Ouch, my feet hurt already just thinking about all the walking I will be doing.

Even the sneakers and shoes that NEVER hurt at home bother my feet when I am walking for hours and hours.

I have already started looking for very comfortable new shoes that I will have all broken in by Septeber when we hit the Med on the Galaxy. Don't know what a Roman wears, but I probably won't be too much of a fashion plate and will definately look like a tourist. The camera will give me away too, I take a lot of pictures.

Archived