Just back from the Adventure of the Seas

pjcoach

Just returned from the AOS with my family and we had a great time. We stopped in St. Thomas (went to Honeymoon Beach on St. John), St Kitts (Nature Kayak and Snorkel), Aruba (horseback riding and Eagle Beach) and Curacao (spent day at Blue Bay Resort). I posted what we did in more detail on each of those boards if you would like further info.

Overall impressions:

The crew was very friendly and helpful.

Richard Spacey (cruise director) was very good.

Overall entertainment was ok. I've had better on previous cruises.

The ship seemed very clean.

The food was good, no better or worse than other cruise lines I have been on. Never a problem finding something to eat, although I felt that the variety of food was a little lacking during lunch time compared to other cruise lines I have been on.

This was the first time I have been on RCCL since 1994. I have been on 4 cruises in between then and now. I felt a little like RCCL was nickel and diming some things. For example, the ice cream station was only open from 12n - 6pm, but Ben and Jerry's seemed to be open all the time. They charged for expresso or capuchino at dinner. Never experienced this before. Just little things, but they were noticeable.

We had a family ocv stateroom (#7500). We normally have 2 cabins that connect. I would not book this stateroom for my family again. It seemed a little cramped compared to the 2 connecting cabins and we definitely missed the extra bathroom. It was not as big as I thought it would be.

Overall, we had a great time. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

We didn't try to get off once we were on board, I'm sure you can, but it may take a decent amount of time to get back on. If I remember correctly, there was an announcement made by the captain that they wanted everyone on board by 5:30pm. I guess you can ask when checking in.

When we did the AOS many passengers got to the ship, dropped their stuff and took off to see OSJ. You had to be onboard by 5:30pm and that all important muster drill at 6pm.

The dock is across the harbor from OSJ and since we had been there and done that we stayed put on board. Actually it should not take a lot of time reboard, you should be able to head straight to the gangway and not have to get mixed in with the passengers boarding for the first time.

We too just returned from the AOS February 19 sailing. Had a completely different experience than pjcruising. I have never posted a negative response on CruiseCritic, but our experience was over-the-top.

1) A rotten garbage/sewage smell permeated the exterior of the ship for the first 3 days--so badly that we could not enjoy our balcony on Deck 9. It cleared on Day 3 but returned on Day 6. Others noticed and also complained--I am surprised, pjcruiser, that you did not smell this?

On Day 6 the men's bathrooms on Deck 4 clogged and set off sewage smells on this Deck.

2) Our cabin--a Junior Suite on Deck 9--had such a terrible mildew smell that we could not be in it for long without opening the balcony doors--and getting the garbage smell. I voiced my concerns 3 times at Guest Relations (who, by the way, were very nice) and had our carpet steam cleaned twice, but no change. Guest Relations told me that several other cabins had the same predicament.

3) Our bathroom showed definite signs of age--rust, stained tub, cigarette burn marks on counter.

4) It took 5 tries before charges placed on my bill by mistake were cleared.

We have always said that we have never met a cruise we did not like, but there is always a first (and we have been on 35 cruises). RCI did give us a 25% credit on a future cruise, but it will certainly NOT be on Adventure of the Seas until she goes into dry dock for refurbishment.

To end on a positive note--the food was wonderful; the crew was kind; the walk-in closet in the Junior Suite was great.

I did encounter some sewage smells in various parts of the ship during our cruise, thankfully not in or near our cabin. However, my time in those locations was short lived so it didn't really affect me or my family. Sorry to hear that you had prolonged exposure.

My cabin, although smaller than what I had expected was in good shape, and I felt the ship overall was very clean and in good shape. In particular, I felt the bathroom on deck 11 (near the pool) was in great shape. During other cruises I've noticed that those bathrooms seem to be not so clean.

We were on the Feb 5th cruise and had a balcony on the 9th deck--no smell of sewage whatsoever. The food taste/quality over the last 3-4 years has improved. Enjoyed the pasta everynight as an appetizer, and loved the Tutti salad bar in the MDR when at sea. The entertainment was sub-par compared with prior cruises. The first time that I can recollect, there were no comedians nor any magicians. The only act that we enjoyed was the Four Seasons inpersinations--they were pretty good. This was our 6th AOS cruise.

We too just returned from the AOS February 19 sailing. Had a completely different experience than pjcruising. I have never posted a negative response on CruiseCritic, but our experience was over-the-top.

1) A rotten garbage/sewage smell permeated the exterior of the ship for the first 3 days--so badly that we could not enjoy our balcony on Deck 9. It cleared on Day 3 but returned on Day 6. Others noticed and also complained--I am surprised, pjcruiser, that you did not smell this?

On Day 6 the men's bathrooms on Deck 4 clogged and set off sewage smells on this Deck.

2) Our cabin--a Junior Suite on Deck 9--had such a terrible mildew smell that we could not be in it for long without opening the balcony doors--and getting the garbage smell. I voiced my concerns 3 times at Guest Relations (who, by the way, were very nice) and had our carpet steam cleaned twice, but no change. Guest Relations told me that several other cabins had the same predicament.

3) Our bathroom showed definite signs of age--rust, stained tub, cigarette burn marks on counter.

4) It took 5 tries before charges placed on my bill by mistake were cleared.

We have always said that we have never met a cruise we did not like, but there is always a first (and we have been on 35 cruises). RCI did give us a 25% credit on a future cruise, but it will certainly NOT be on Adventure of the Seas until she goes into dry dock for refurbishment.

To end on a positive note--the food was wonderful; the crew was kind; the walk-in closet in the Junior Suite was great.

BZV,

Do you recal the stateroom # you had. We will be on deck 9 in a Jr suite in April

We were on Adventure 2-12-12 in JS 9572. We did not have any smells anywhere on the ship. Our stateroom had new carpet and new furniture and was in excellent shape. Our week we had two productions shows, a show with a comedian, the welcome aboard show had we had a juggler, like none we have ever seen we also had the Frankie Valli show and one night there was a oldies show with Bozzer from ShaNaNa (sp). Our cruise was beyond our expectations.

We were also on the same sailing - we were on deck 10. We sailed on this ship a few years ago, and I was concerned by the recent negative reviews. But I thought our fellow passengers were great, and even though it was school vacation week, the kids were all well behaved (including mine!). The ship looked to be in good shape and the service was very good. The food is good, the menu is the same as I remember from the Explorer of the Seas - they could change things up a bit.

Luckily we didn't smell anything bad, but I do know that other posters have commented on a smell as well. `

The worst part was dealing with the San Juan airport after the cruise. We have gone out of this airport 3 time before, but never had to have our luggage scanned by the US Dept of Agriculture. Pure mayham!

We were also on the same sailing - we were on deck 10. We sailed on this ship a few years ago, and I was concerned by the recent negative reviews. But I thought our fellow passengers were great, and even though it was school vacation week, the kids were all well behaved (including mine!). The ship looked to be in good shape and the service was very good. The food is good, the menu is the same as I remember from the Explorer of the Seas - they could change things up a bit.

Luckily we didn't smell anything bad, but I do know that other posters have commented on a smell as well. `

The worst part was dealing with the San Juan airport after the cruise. We have gone out of this airport 3 time before, but never had to have our luggage scanned by the US Dept of Agriculture. Pure mayham!

Agreed, SJU is a mess

I think we must have been on different ships! We were on Feb 5 and 12th sailings and in my 26 cruises this was the best we ever experienced. We were on deck 8...Hi LOREY!!!!! sorry had to do a shout to her! Our table mates were on aft deck 9 and aft deck 10 and never heard them say anything about smell other than the when fueling.

I have been on the Explorer when I have smelled a septic backup and it has been because someone "accidentally" put something in the toilet that shouldn't have. Even on our Allure trip in December the kids next door "accidentally" put too much toilet paper in toilet and caused issues for many cabins with no apology from parents.....who thought their children were cute. Guess you are lucky you got a discount for a future cruise.

the higher end coffee drinks have been charged for since I have been cruising in 2006. Only free in the concierge lounge when you are suite guest or diamond plus or pinnacle.

Our weeks were amazing. Yes the ship needs a little TLC in places but unless fresh out of dry dock all are a little worn. You wouldn't believe the worn spots already on the allure. A lot of abuse from guests. Amazing what happens when people go on vacation the things they do! that they don't do at home. Just saying.

We cancelled our Allure and Independence sailings for another b2b on the Adventure!!! Can't wait and our cruising buddies are coming with us!

Did this JS have a coffee pot?

We were on Adventure 2-12-12 in JS 9572. We did not have any smells anywhere on the ship. Our stateroom had new carpet and new furniture and was in excellent shape. Our week we had two productions shows, a show with a comedian, the welcome aboard show had we had a juggler, like none we have ever seen we also had the Frankie Valli show and one night there was a oldies show with Bozzer from ShaNaNa (sp). Our cruise was beyond our expectations.

I don't recall there being any happy hour of bogo specials in any of the bars or lounges.

Lobster was served on Friday night (the second formal night). They gave one small lobster tail along with shrimp. I believe it was called the "Fisherman's Platter" or something like that. If you realy like lobster, I would suggest ordering two since the tails are not that big. I ordered a steak, my wife ordered something else and then we split the "Fisherman's Platter", with me taking the lobster tail and her taking the shrimp.

Embarkation was fine. I went in with the expectation that it would take awhile, so I was prepared. We got to the pier at somewhere between 12:30pm and 1pm, waited on the line to check our luggage which took about 10-15 minutes. Then got on the other line, which did not move for probably 20 minutes. Once we started moving, we were on the ship in about 30 minutes. So overall it took us about an hour, which I thought was fine. However, it did seem that a lot of perople arrived after we did and the lines started getting pretty long behind us. SO, if possible, I would get there sooner rather later.

The band at the pool played reggae and caribbean styled music, and in the public spaces and lounges there was a good mix, including latin.

Lucky you. I've been flying out of SJU for over 10 years and have had to have my luggage scanned alon,g with everyone, else every time I flew. They also did it in Honolulu. I didn't think the airlines accept luggage without the sticker on it.

pjcoach- I thought I heard that Richard Spacey was leaving and another CD was onboard. Do you know if/when this is happening?

bzv143- would you mind sharing which cabin you had and if there were particular areas that seemed to have that smell? From the few posts I've read already it almost sounds like maybe it was confined to the aft-rear area. I know when we were on Rhapsody in 2010 that same situation occurred, also mostly confined to aft-rear. I wonder if it's something to do with the designs of the ship that when there are problems, that's where they show up.

Thanx,

Erika

Archived