Would you ever cruise the same river twice?

editor@cruisecritic

Have you ever cruised on the same river twice (Danube, Rhine, Rhone, Main etc.)? If so, why did you go back? If not why wouldn't you go back....

I was wondering because I was lucky enough to sail the Danube three times on three different river cruise lines and each time was a blast. I'd go again in a heartbeat, as well....

Anyway, please feel free to chime in here.

Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

We have traveled parts of the Rhine for a second time. Our first cruise went from Amsterdam to Budapest. The second cruise went from Amsterdam to Paris. Next week we re-doing part of the Danube with the cruise from Vienna to the Black Sea.

Can't wait to see Vienna and Budapest again!

We have sailed the Amazon twice. The first time was the upper Amazon in Peru. As I recall we were about 2500 miles from the Atlantic,and sailed from Iquitos.

The second was on the Pacific Princess from Fort Lauderdale and we went about 1200 miles up river to Manaus and back.

Both were wonderful

Definitely a "yes"!!

I´ve done the Upper Mississippi river from St. Louis to St. Paul three times (o.k., on three different ships). The cruise is different each time and the landscape is changing.

That´s the same with the Danube or Rhine rivers. You can do a spring cruise, a fall foliage cruise or a Christmas market cruise... same river, even same ship, but all cruises will be different.

steamboats

We have sailed the same rivers on several occasions and would so again, as it more than just the river that makes the cruise.

We love the Christmas markets and visit by river boat when we take my mother, as is so much easier both for her and for us. She can rest when needed and enjoy the views from the aft lounge and we can stay out without worrying that she is stuck in a hotel by herself.

While we enjoyed the Moselle, we did not like the ports very much so would not repeat that river. However, it was our favorite of the river cruises we have taken as we loved AMA and totally enjoyed the wine themed cruise. We will cruise AMA again on a different route.

On our upcoming Uniworld Rhine cruise, at a couple of the stops there are alternate tours offered, so I think they do have repeat business and therefore give passengers a few more options. We are doing a Rhine river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam, and previously did one on the Main, Rhine and Moselle Rivers from Trier to Nuremberg. The only part of the itinerary that will be the same is one day on the Rhine, and that's the day two tours are offered.

The Danube was our first cruise which ended in Vienna and we are definitely planning to do it again this year, which starts in Budapest. The first time, I had bronchitis and could not really enjoy myself but still had a good time. The Danube is a beautiful river to cruise on.

Steamboats, that is so true!

Will you be trying out the Mississippi again this year?

Carolyn

Definitely a "yes"!!

I´ve done the Upper Mississippi river from St. Louis to St. Paul three times (o.k., on three different ships). The cruise is different each time and the landscape is changing.

That´s the same with the Danube or Rhine rivers. You can do a spring cruise, a fall foliage cruise or a Christmas market cruise... same river, even same ship, but all cruises will be different.

steamboats

I am taking the "Tulips and Windmills" cruise with Viking for the second time in March, 2013.

This time we are going to a few different ports so we will see some new places.

The last time I was on the Viking Spirit and this time will be on the Viking Odin.

We recently cruised from Budapest to Nuremburg on the Danube and would not hesitate to travel that route again. Just loved all the port stops along the way. Next trip we hope to make it longer and do Budapest to Amsterdam.

Previously cruised the Rhine and Mosele Rivers which were beautiful but enjoyed the ports of the Danube cruise much better.

Great topic!

For those who have replied who did not already include this:

Could add why you chose to sail the same river twice?

(instead of experiencing a completely different exotic river that you have never traveled)

example:

- Because the town of _____ along the ____ river was so interesting / fun I wanted to see it again

- Because I've been on all the rivers I care about already and now I'm re-doing my faves. This one is my favorite because ______

- Because I love the cruise line ___ for the guides they select on their excursions

- Because ____ is my favorite ship and this was the itinerary available

- Because that was best itinerary on the only date I'm available

- Because I am wealthy and don't need to painstakingly budget my vacation time since I'll have the time and $$ to see everything I could ever want to see, and this was the whim of the hour :D . It probably became my whim because ______

etc...

In the preliminary stage of researching a river cruise for October, 2013. Have never done a river cruise before (have done 4 transatlantics and a number of European cruises) We are thinking of Amsterdam - Basel as a "good introduction." Any thoughts? Have also considered Trier - Nuremburg and Danube cruises. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mary

In the preliminary stage of researching a river cruise for October, 2013. Have never done a river cruise before (have done 4 transatlantics and a number of European cruises) We are thinking of Amsterdam - Basel as a "good introduction." Any thoughts? Have also considered Trier - Nuremburg and Danube cruises. Would appreciate any feedback.

Mary

You'd probably have better luck if you started a new thread with your question.

Mary

I agree, start a new thread. I've also been looking at that itinerary, although the Danube, Nuremberg - Budapest is probably more likely.

- Because of the scenery along the route was so interesting / fun I wanted to see it again

- Because we enjoyed it

- Because I liked the cruise line (AMA)

- Because this was the itinerary available for dates we could make

- Because I am not wealthy and do plan well ahead and am limited to when I can travel. I save and don't do large ship cruising, only rivers and small ships. :)

Budapest to Amsterdam (can't stand Amsterdam but it has a train direct to Paris) and is close by the ship.

Archived