Carnival's new "trick" to reduce chair-saving

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:13 PM.
#1
1,243 Posts
Joined May 2001
My wife and I just returned from cruising on Carnival’s Victory from June 12-19, 2005. On this cruise we noticed the following: The large blue beach towels are still provided by the cruise line for use on the beach and pools. These towels are still collected by the room stewards in the evening, but instead of replacing them that evening with clean towels, they now do not replace them until the following morning after 8am.

Although this can be annoying if you are planning on getting off the ship early (such as going to the beach in the morning), we assumed that the purpose of this change is to reduce the amount of chair-saving by the pools.

We did notice that the available chairs on the first sea-day was much lower than on subsequent sea days.

I am not sure whether this is the intended reason for this apparent change (we never noticed this before) or whether it is limited to the Victory, but we just wanted to share this with everyone.
#2
Dighton, MA USA
1,328 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
The chair hogs will always find something else to put on the chairs to mark their spot
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - Western 8/99
NCL Majesty Bermuda 5/02
NCL Majesty Bermuda 8/04
CCL Glory - Eastern 7/05
#3
Strollin' down the avenue that's known as A1A, FL
11,632 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by basketballmom
The chair hogs will always find something else to put on the chairs to mark their spot
Something else that won't cost them $22 a pop when the towel goes missing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#curmudgeonoftheseas
----
First Cruise: TSS Carnivale - March 1983
123 nights at sea and counting...
Next Up: Norwegian Getaway 12/10/2017

Carnivale, Festivale, Paradise (x2), Triumph, Miracle, Destiny, Fascination, Valor, Glory, Conquest, Liberty (x3), Sunshine



Skyward (x2)



Costa Riviera


Yankee Trader


Oceanic


Song of Norway


Star Princess


#4
Phila, PA
113 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
I take it from this post that chairs are saved/people are at the pool before 8 AM? Yikes! I hope to still be asleep at that time, or at most, enjoying a cup of java on balcony to help me wake up! I plan on bringing our own beach towels as I don't want to pay $22 for Carnivals in the event I run to the bathroom and someone deems I was gone too long. Seems there is no conistent opinon on "how long is too long". I read on one thread that a woman was assisting her child close by and returned to her chair within a minute or two and her chair was taken. I'm on vacation and don't want to deal with that kind of stress. It is my understanding that there are plenty of chairs, perhaps just not at the perfect location. I don't care where I sit as long as I have the sun and an attentive bartender nearby!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8/14 Miracle<BR>
#5
13 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We were on the Fantasy week of 6/5 and didn't run into the chair hogs. Maybe because there were lots of children who weren't interested in sitting in a chair for too long. Or we were only at sea for a full day other two days we were in port,by that day maybe people had enough of the sun.
Also went to all the pools on board there were three always able to get a seat. There was always waiters/waitresses walking around selling drinks so no need to be near the bar.
Very stress free vacation.
Hope you enjoy your vacation.
#6
Wilmington,De,USA
23,173 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Carnival should issue you a chair embosed with your name at embarkation. The crew will be more than happy to lug it around for you.

Post it notes informing whose chair, and cabin number and expected time of reclaiming said chair

Cruise lines should have a chair for each passenger

Chair rental

Bring your own chair.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next
Grandeur of the Seas Nov 28, 2016

Cruising Bermuda Triangle (fun)
Wait for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BDCn0L7TwM

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001
Golden Princess Dec 7 2002
Coral Princess Dec 9 2003
Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004
Carnival Paradise 4 April 2005
Carnival Triumph 30 July 2005
Norwegian Dawn 11 Dec 2005
Carnival Destiny 18 June 2006
NCL Spirit 10 Dec 2006
Carnival Miracle 10 Oct 2007
Diamond Princess 17 May 2008
Explorer of the Sea 12 Dec 2008
NCL Jewel Oct 10, 2009
Celebrity Mercury 29 Oct 2010
Celebrity Silhouette 6 Nov 2011
Carnival Pride May 13, 2013,
RCCL "Mariner" Oct 20, 2012
Golden Princess April 10, 2013
Emerald Princess Oct 26 2013
Quantum of the Sea Dec 12, 2014
Grandeur of the Seas Nov 29, 2015
Norwegian Gem Apr 11, 2016

[email protected]
#7
Leander, TX
6,521 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by snorkelman

Although this can be annoying if you are planning on getting off the ship early (such as going to the beach in the morning), we assumed that the purpose of this change is to reduce the amount of chair-saving by the pools.
I've no idea if this is an attempt to cut back the chair hogs. It has always been my understanding that if you needed a beach towel for an early trip to the beach you could get it from your room steward.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S/V Fantome May 1989
In October of '98 the Fantome was lost at sea with a crew of 31.
Elation Sept 2001
Voyager of the Seas May 2002
Celebration July 2002
Jubilee Sept 2002
Destiny June 2003
Jubilee Sept 2003
College Tuitions 2004-2008
Ecstacy March 2008
Conquest Sept 2009
Ecstacy Feb 2010

Conquest Sept 2010
Celebrity Reflection July 2013
Oceania Marina 2014
Triumph Nov 2014
Freedom B2B June 2016
Freedom Feb 2017



Time and Tide Waits For No Man
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 02/18/2017 aboard the Carnival Freedom! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 05/27/2017 aboard the Carnival Splendor! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.



#8
Minnesota
1,909 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by derf5585
Carnival should issue you a chair embosed with your name at embarkation. The crew will be more than happy to lug it around for you.

Post it notes informing whose chair, and cabin number and expected time of reclaiming said chair

Cruise lines should have a chair for each passenger

Chair rental

Bring your own chair.
http://chairrentaldenver.com/rentalprices/#chairs
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8/28/05 Miracle The Honeymoon Cruise

"Lips that touch liquor shall never touch mine"

"Ohhhhh sixteen chests on a dead men's rum,
yo ho ho and a bottle of de chest.."
(Chief Ins J. Clouseau)

L.O.O.D. Member
ETDC Member
#9
Richmond, VA
2,262 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by derf5585
Carnival should issue you a chair embosed with your name at embarkation. The crew will be more than happy to lug it around for you.

Post it notes informing whose chair, and cabin number and expected time of reclaiming said chair

Cruise lines should have a chair for each passenger

Chair rental

Bring your own chair.
that was a hilarious mental picture! Maybe carnival should start charging a dollar per hour for chairs in the prime spots!! (2 dollars an hour on the topless deck )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paradise 1/03 - W. Carib
Paradise 1/04 - E. Carib
Triumph 12/04 - E. Carib
Pride 5/05 - HM to Mex. Riv
Star Princess 1/06 - W. Carib
RC Empress OTS 9/06 - Bermuda
Aruba (land vacation) 5/07


http://community.webshots.com/user/newmrsgriffin Empress of the Seas, Star Princess, and Carnival Pride shots!
#11
Richmond, VA
2,262 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by Zeke3
I take it from this post that chairs are saved/people are at the pool before 8 AM? Yikes! I hope to still be asleep at that time, or at most, enjoying a cup of java on balcony to help me wake up! I plan on bringing our own beach towels as I don't want to pay $22 for Carnivals in the event I run to the bathroom and someone deems I was gone too long. Seems there is no conistent opinon on "how long is too long". I read on one thread that a woman was assisting her child close by and returned to her chair within a minute or two and her chair was taken. I'm on vacation and don't want to deal with that kind of stress. It is my understanding that there are plenty of chairs, perhaps just not at the perfect location. I don't care where I sit as long as I have the sun and an attentive bartender nearby!
Yes, the wife has to get up at 7am to get us a chair. The crazy thing is, most are already taken! People are nuts. I used to yell at her, but now it's "eat or be eaten"...so, when it comes down to it - i'd rather just have a chair. (but to our defense we are out there by 830ish and use them 89 percent of the day)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paradise 1/03 - W. Carib
Paradise 1/04 - E. Carib
Triumph 12/04 - E. Carib
Pride 5/05 - HM to Mex. Riv
Star Princess 1/06 - W. Carib
RC Empress OTS 9/06 - Bermuda
Aruba (land vacation) 5/07


http://community.webshots.com/user/newmrsgriffin Empress of the Seas, Star Princess, and Carnival Pride shots!
#12
Katy, Texas USA
3,638 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
It was this way in October of 2004..... Our room steward always had our's ready and waiting for us. On several nights, they were there after dinner. On 2 mornings we just paged him and asked for them for our early excursions. I prefer it this way personally, then I don't have to search for towels when I'm not going to the pool.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Proud Member of the ETDC since 2006

Carnival Destiny 10/04 (Southern Caribbean)
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=96066 (My Review)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/(My Pictures)
Carnival Victory 10/02 (Eastern Caribbean)
Celebrity Mercury 9/98 (Alaska)
Carnival Destiny 9/97 (Western Caribbean)
#13
Richmond, VA
2,262 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by Sharris9888
What are chair hogs?
Little greedy animals that sneak on the ship in places like Miami and San Juan...u normally only see them at their worst early in the morning. They like to run around, hide your stuff, knock stuff over, cause general chaos. Whatever you do, dont EVER corner a ChairHog.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paradise 1/03 - W. Carib
Paradise 1/04 - E. Carib
Triumph 12/04 - E. Carib
Pride 5/05 - HM to Mex. Riv
Star Princess 1/06 - W. Carib
RC Empress OTS 9/06 - Bermuda
Aruba (land vacation) 5/07


http://community.webshots.com/user/newmrsgriffin Empress of the Seas, Star Princess, and Carnival Pride shots!
#14
Ithaca, NY
1,108 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I think the cruiselines should place timers on all the chairs so that people know what is happening with the chair. The timers should have a 30 minute maximum which is enough time to get lunch, or go into the pool/hottub. After that, the chair is fair game for towel removal.
#15
Deer Park, Texas, USA
1,212 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
We were on the Conquest and there were a row of chairs with something on every other chair. I sat on one with nothing. It wasn't 5 minutes before this girl came up and said that I was in her friend's chair. I told her it was empty. She said it didn't matter because they had a whole group there. I said too bad, it was empty. I stuck it out for about an hour reading my book just to irritate them and then I left to take a shower. People get so beligerant.

Linda

Liberty 9/18/05
Conquest 5/06
Glory 6/04
Conquest 6/03
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Freedom 01/19/2019 Panama
Carnival Breeze 02/12/2017
Carnival Vista TA 10/21/16
Carnival Breeze 08/07/2016
Carnival Triumph 01/08/2015
Carnival Magic 1/19/2014
Legend 9/13/2013 British Isles
Breeze 11/6/2012 Trans Atlantic
Magic 11/27/2011 Carribean
Magic 5/1/2011 Mediterranean
Conquest 6/5/10 Carribean
Spirit 7/15/09 Alaska
Splendor 2/17/09 South America
Splendor 8/30/08 Baltics
Freedom 4/19/07 Mediterranean
Conquest 5/7/06 Carribean
Liberty 9/18/05 Mediterranean
Glory 6/12/04
Conquest 6/20/03

Any day at sea is a great day!


#16
727 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by Sharris9888
What are chair hogs?
Someone who gets up at 6 am and puts stuff (magazine, shoe, towel) on chairs to "save" them til later. Then they disappear for hours and there are no charis for those who want to use them.
#17
Wilmington,De,USA
23,173 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
The opposite of a Chair Hog is a Chair Hawk

Can a person who keeps kosher be a chair hog?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next
Grandeur of the Seas Nov 28, 2016

Cruising Bermuda Triangle (fun)
Wait for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BDCn0L7TwM

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001
Golden Princess Dec 7 2002
Coral Princess Dec 9 2003
Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004
Carnival Paradise 4 April 2005
Carnival Triumph 30 July 2005
Norwegian Dawn 11 Dec 2005
Carnival Destiny 18 June 2006
NCL Spirit 10 Dec 2006
Carnival Miracle 10 Oct 2007
Diamond Princess 17 May 2008
Explorer of the Sea 12 Dec 2008
NCL Jewel Oct 10, 2009
Celebrity Mercury 29 Oct 2010
Celebrity Silhouette 6 Nov 2011
Carnival Pride May 13, 2013,
RCCL "Mariner" Oct 20, 2012
Golden Princess April 10, 2013
Emerald Princess Oct 26 2013
Quantum of the Sea Dec 12, 2014
Grandeur of the Seas Nov 29, 2015
Norwegian Gem Apr 11, 2016

[email protected]
#18
1,765 Posts
Joined Apr 2005

I stuck it out for about an hour reading my book just to irritate them and then I left to take a shower. People get so beligerant.


You didn't leave your book there to 'save' the chair for your return later?
#19
603 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by snorkelman
My wife and I just returned from cruising on Carnival’s Victory from June 12-19, 2005. On this cruise we noticed the following: The large blue beach towels are still provided by the cruise line for use on the beach and pools. These towels are still collected by the room stewards in the evening, but instead of replacing them that evening with clean towels, they now do not replace them until the following morning after 8am.

Although this can be annoying if you are planning on getting off the ship early (such as going to the beach in the morning), we assumed that the purpose of this change is to reduce the amount of chair-saving by the pools.

We did notice that the available chairs on the first sea-day was much lower than on subsequent sea days.

I am not sure whether this is the intended reason for this apparent change (we never noticed this before) or whether it is limited to the Victory, but we just wanted to share this with everyone.
I have my doubts that it was planned to deter "C hogs"

we had to ask daily for our carnival beach towels. you may have just been getting poor service! they should be replaced nightly for the next day!
#20
394 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
We have taken items off the chairs that "chair hogs" have left on them and placed them on the deck below the chair and used the chair many times. The folks come to the pool several hours later and they are MAD!! YOU HAVE MY CHAIR!!! Why get so mad? They have to know that their behavior is wrong, right? There are signs everywhere. Why cause a confrontation on your vacation, it' not worth the trouble. Anyway, normally by the time they show I'm ready to go eat or something, so they are mad for nothing.

But, why don't the cruiselines have pool security officers or someone to enforce the rules of the pool deck. They could monitor chairs and pick up the items left and put them in a lost and found box or something...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sails!!!

Steph

CCL Celebration (7 day) 08/01/99
CCL Inspiration (7 Day) 06/23/01
RCL Splendour of the Seas (10 Day) 01/02/03
CCL Jubliee (4 Day) 05/03
RCL Adventure of the Seas (10 Day) 05/10/04
CCL Conquest (7 Day) 07/17/05
CCL Fantasy (5 Day) 04/30/07
Emerald Princess (10 day) 01/15/08