Why are roatan taxi rates so high ?

overthehillcruiser

We have been 4 times and have always done a private tour even though we do not really need one. We are going in March again so I sent a couple of e mails out just to see what transportation would be from Mahogany bay to Turquoise Bay resort and back for DW and I..Juan Carlos answered back $70 . I said I would think about it. He sent another offer of $60, best he could do. I don't think it is very far at all, maybe 15 minutes. Guest 2000, if you are out there, what is my best option ? Anyone else had success just negotiating a cab ? Thanks for any help..

Good Morning,

I believe the taxi rates are high due to the price of petrol and the roads/drivers/weather being very hard on the cars. My guess would be maintenance is costly.

As far as less expensive options.. Turquoise Bay has a beach day option at $25pp.

http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

Another option is to walk out to the main road and take your chances...Spanish would be helpful. :0)

Edited by Guest 2000

Thanks guest. I am trying to find out from Turquoise Bay if they have to fill a bus first or if we would have to be off the ship at a certain time. So far no response, but the price seems fine..Also, I do speak pretty good spanish.

Good Morning,

I believe the taxi rates are high due to the price of petrol and the roads/drivers/weather being very hard on the cars. My guess would be maintenance is costly.

As far as less expensive options.. Turquoise Bay has a beach day option at $25pp.

Another option is to walk out to the main road and take your chances...Spanish would be helpful. :0)

Edited by overthehillcruiser

Ahhh well, if your Spanish is workable.....toss a bit of adventure in your holiday and walk out to the main road. Confirming price with return would be high on my list. Locating a taxi to come back may be a challenge and the price may not be to your liking.

If I remember correctly, Turquoise Bay is some distance east of French Harbor.

Thanks again. I just got a reply back from Rony and he quoted $30 each round trip..As Turquoise Bay has no entrance fee I may go with this as opposed to to the TB beach deal for $25 PP..

Ahhh well, if your Spanish is workable.....toss a bit of adventure in your holiday and walk out to the main road. Confirming price with return would be high on my list. Locating a taxi to come back may be a challenge and the price may not be to your liking.

If I remember correctly, Turquoise Bay is some distance east of French Harbor.

Good Morning,

The roads are rough and gas is high and tourism is the main revenue. We're actually fine with $40pp as a couple with a driver at our disposal for the day. That doesn't happen anywhere else we've been. And with friends it will be $25pp - we paid that for a private tour on other islands several years ago.

Such a gorgeous island and a driver for the day - what a great day!

We haven't been to TB but I'll look at that too as we plan to see more this visit before returning for a longer visit. Unfortunately we will have to sacrifice someplace else but Roatan is beautiful.

• 2 months later...
Good Morning,

I know it has been awhile since this post started but we recently booked a cruise for this coming April (2014) and will be stopping in Roatan. We were just on a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan and in a few ports, just grabbed a taxi to the beach and the costs were about $10.00 each time. I'm finding that is not the case with Roatan. While researching, I saw your post about the Turquoie Bay Resort and link and this looks like an option for us. I checked out their website and saw that they will pick you up at the cruise center. The hours our ship is in port are 8AM - 3PM, meaning we will have to be back on board by 2:30PM. I was curious if they take you back to the ship whenever you would like or do they have their own set schedule. Thanks!

Hi. As far as I can gather they do take you when you want to go. Another poster has been there, done that , but hard to locate the post with the search function down. I can post a review when we return. We will be there Mar 19 and return to Galveston on Mar 23..

I know it has been awhile since this post started but we recently booked a cruise for this coming April (2014) and will be stopping in Roatan. We were just on a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan and in a few ports, just grabbed a taxi to the beach and the costs were about $10.00 each time. I'm finding that is not the case with Roatan. While researching, I saw your post about the Turquoie Bay Resort and link and this looks like an option for us. I checked out their website and saw that they will pick you up at the cruise center. The hours our ship is in port are 8AM - 3PM, meaning we will have to be back on board by 2:30PM. I was curious if they take you back to the ship whenever you would like or do they have their own set schedule. Thanks!

Hi. As far as I can gather they do take you when you want to go. Another poster has been there, done that , but hard to locate the post with the search function down. I can post a review when we return. We will be there Mar 19 and return to Galveston on Mar 23..

Thank you! Yes, I'd love a review when you return. We are trying to do this trip within a budget but I really don't want to spend the day at the cruise center's man made beach and are looking at different options. I spent a few hours yesterday going through pages upon pages of posts to the point I couldn't look at the computer screen anymore...I am really missing the search feature right now.

Will do. As a follow up, Kimberly at Turquoise Bay is very good about replying to an e mail...I think TB is one of those overlooked areas just to go and relax. It is popular as a dive center, so it is much more peaceful than West Bay beach area I think. We will see..You can e mail her at info@turquoisebayresort.com

Thank you! Yes, I'd love a review when you return. We are trying to do this trip within a budget but I really don't want to spend the day at the cruise center's man made beach and are looking at different options. I spent a few hours yesterday going through pages upon pages of posts to the point I couldn't look at the computer screen anymore...I am really missing the search feature right now.

Will do. As a follow up, Kimberly at Turquoise Bay is very good about replying to an e mail...I think TB is one of those overlooked areas just to go and relax. It is popular as a dive center, so it is much more peaceful than West Bay beach area I think. We will see..You can e mail her at info@turquoisebayresort.com

Thank you for the contact information for Kimberly since we are seriously considering spending our day here. I saw the pictures on their website and it looked very nice.

If you would like another quote, below is the licensed taxi driver I always use when I am in Roatan. Julio - jubohi502@yahoo.com

Roatan taxi drivers are known for elastic prices. They will increase them for cruise shippers, different times of the day, and based on your appearance if you ask on the street. Don't be afraid to haggle, as they will likely take you for much less than the original quote.

If you would like another quote, below is the licensed taxi driver I always use when I am in Roatan. Julio - jubohi502@yahoo.com

Roatan taxi drivers are known for elastic prices. They will increase them for cruise shippers, different times of the day, and based on your appearance if you ask on the street. Don't be afraid to haggle, as they will likely take you for much less than the original quote.

Thank you! We are still debating but I'm currently trying to twist DH's arm into going somewhere other than staying at the Mahogany Bay cruise center/man made beach. According to a popular ship/port schedule site, we will be one of two ships in Mahogany Bay that day.

I e mailed him and he answered right back with a bid of $60 round trip from Mahogany to Turquoise Bay and back for the two of us. I answered back that TB would transport us for $50 and he emailed back that he would match that and said, why not give me the business that TB did not need the money...What I do not understand about the cab rates compared to say, Cozumel, as it would be about half, and the economy is similar..We can get a whole island tour in Roatan for $80, so why so high for just a cab ride ?Thanks for the contact info though.

On a cruise ship day, the trip from Mahogany to Turquoise bay can take 30 minutes or more. So basically, an independent cabbie has his taxi out of service for at least an hour round trip which helps explain high taxi rates. Gas is very expensive as well. The best value IMO is to book a private car and driver for the entire day. These drivers can take you anywhere, provide great tours of the Island, will stay and watch over your belongings while you swim or snorkel, recommend places to eat that are off the beaten path and can make your day truly special.

Thanks again. I just got a reply back from Rony and he quoted $30 each round trip..As Turquoise Bay has no entrance fee I may go with this as opposed to to the TB beach deal for $25 PP..

Hello! Can you please tell me where you found out that Turquoise Bay has no entrance fee? I want to make sure that we can go there even if we don't use their transportation...

Thank you!

Stacey.

Subscribing so that I hopefully catch your review when you return (and hopefully you'll share some pictures). I like looking at the pictures you post to different places. They give me ideas and I'm always up for something new in port. :)

Hi. I got the no entrance fee info from Kimberly from the resort. No fee whether you use there transportation or your own..

Hello! Can you please tell me where you found out that Turquoise Bay has no entrance fee? I want to make sure that we can go there even if we don't use their transportation...

Thank you!

Stacey.

Hi. Will definitely post some photos. Still planning on going there for sure, unless, Lord forbid, we can't dock at Mahogany. I wish we were on Royal again, never a problem @ Coxen. We return to Galveston on the 23 rd, so should be able to get a review up my Monday or Tuesday..

Subscribing so that I hopefully catch your review when you return (and hopefully you'll share some pictures). I like looking at the pictures you post to different places. They give me ideas and I'm always up for something new in port. :)

Hi. I got the no entrance fee info from Kimberly from the resort. No fee whether you use there transportation or your own..

Thank you! Do you know if they charge extra for a chair or anything else if there is no entrance fee?

I emailed them twice and have not heard back...do I just keep trying?

Thank you! Do you know if they charge extra for a chair or anything else if there is no entrance fee?

I emailed them twice and have not heard back...do I just keep trying?

No charge for anything when we visited although I am sure they appreciate you buying a drink and/or food. Small beach bar on the beach. As has been said the resort is primarily for divers but they offer snorkeling excursions and kayaks for rent. The guys from our group had arranged a fishing trip.

I noticed from your other thread you plan to meet friends there, just FYI - the resort is quite a distance from the ports, (nearer to Mahogany Bay) - not sure where your friends are staying but TB is probably twice as far from West End or West Bay area - not too bad if they are staying at Club Natalie or Parrot Tree Plantation area.

if you have any other questions I will try and answer.

Hello Clegs. Yeah when I emailed them I told them we wanted to have food and drink, and asked if there was an entrance fee or chair charge, she said no..We were going to get our own transportation but settled on letting them p/u and deliver us back, so I hope it all works out..She also said we could just pay the trans fee when we get there.

No charge for anything when we visited although I am sure they appreciate you buying a drink and/or food. Small beach bar on the beach. As has been said the resort is primarily for divers but they offer snorkeling excursions and kayaks for rent. The guys from our group had arranged a fishing trip.

I noticed from your other thread you plan to meet friends there, just FYI - the resort is quite a distance from the ports, (nearer to Mahogany Bay) - not sure where your friends are staying but TB is probably twice as far from West End or West Bay area - not too bad if they are staying at Club Natalie or Parrot Tree Plantation area.

if you have any other questions I will try and answer.