Summit - some buffet items

sue58

There has been so much talk about the new style of serving food at the buffet on the Summit I thought I would post some pictures from my June 1 cruise so you can see the individual bowls, tins and baskets.

Baked potato, calamari, green beans, coconut chicken, panini sandwiches, beef, tomato & olive salad. The calamari and coconut chicken were excellent.

IMG_0614.jpg.2e7d44851d1ea08732d4fe9ffc289160.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg.6229006f3ae4c546e3de4cabb4d8cfd6.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg.2d5940cb5055180011a43224bb20104d.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg.25469f5bce4388b3f4696361818c34c5.jpg

There has been so much talk about the new style of serving food at the buffet on the Summit I thought I would post some pictures from my June 1 cruise so you can see the individual bowls, tins and baskets.

Baked potato, calamari, green beans, coconut chicken, panini sandwiches, beef, tomato & olive salad. The calamari and coconut chicken were excellent.

Thanks for posting the pics! They are rather large portions for lunch, eh?

Edited by 20pluscruises

Here is the chocolate fountain that was set up at the buffet one day as well as the fancy desserts on sticks that you usually found at the Brunch.

Sorry for the small pictures, don't know how to make them larger but you can click on them.

IMG_0783.jpg.3ce5292a04a0cb7074825a07b0a084db.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg.8cc0693bb74b23360e4cfd9cff3132f4.jpg

Here is the chocolate fountain that was set up at the buffet one day as well as the fancy desserts on sticks that you usually found at the Brunch.

Sorry for the small pictures, don't know how to make them larger but you can click on them.

I do like peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate on a stick.

Thanks for posting… I am happy to see there not combining foods in one dish anymore. On our cruise they had a pre plated meal made of a meat, potato or rice, and a veggie.. I was not a fan of the buffet but it is nice to see that Celebrity is improving on the concept.. They'll get it right...

You made my day - a baked potato for lunch is heaven for me!

I had forgotten about the new baked potato bar.

As to portion size, Wendy's serves a 3 pack of chicken tenders, here the coconut chicken is only 2 - so I will need seconds!. the roast beef is 5 or 6 small slivers, not near enough for me to even call it a roast beef sandwich if I put it on bread! Panini sandwich with coleslaw, I need to still add some fries or a baked potato...AND go back for a slice or 2 of pizza.

Were the 1st set of pictures lunch or dinner? Calamari is new either meal.

Mary Lou

I think everything in the first post except the sandwiches were at dinner. There were a few new additions to the buffet that I was very impressed with.

I especially liked the special breads in baskets. They wrapped two slices in paper and labeled the wrapping. Often I grabbed a packet to get toasted at breakfast, really liked the sunflower and the olive breads.

Other replies:

I didn't think the portions were too big. I guess it depends on how big of a breakfast you had (if any) and how many different things you want at each meal.

It was more likely that the breakfast tins held a combination of items - like the English b'fast tin had baked beans, tomato and Canadian bacon slice, etc. The Indian selections usually had the meat in sauce in the bottom of the tin with a scoop of rice on top.

I didn't run into any food in the buffet that was cold. Not everything was piping hot but everything I had that was supposed to be hot was at least warm.

I think everything in the first post except the sandwiches were at dinner. There were a few new additions to the buffet that I was very impressed with.

I especially liked the special breads in baskets. They wrapped two slices in paper and labeled the wrapping. Often I grabbed a packet to get toasted at breakfast, really liked the sunflower and the olive breads.

Other replies:

I didn't think the portions were too big. I guess it depends on how big of a breakfast you had (if any) and how many different things you want at each meal.

It was more likely that the breakfast tins held a combination of items - like the English b'fast tin had baked beans, tomato and Canadian bacon slice, etc. The Indian selections usually had the meat in sauce in the bottom of the tin with a scoop of rice on top.

I didn't run into any food in the buffet that was cold. Not everything was piping hot but everything I had that was supposed to be hot was at least warm.

Thanks! The size may look larger in the picture than it actually is. oops...didn't realize this was dinner.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Thanks! The size may look larger in the picture than it actually is. oops...didn't realize this was dinner.

Yes, it's hard to judge the size - too bad I didn't have a fork or spoon in the picture to give some perspective.......but they could have been abnormally large or small utensils.:D

Yes, it's hard to judge the size - too bad I didn't have a fork or spoon in the picture to give some perspective.......but they could have been abnormally large or small utensils.:D

That made me LOL! hahahaha

You should have set them on the huge wood rocking chair before you snapped the picture...really get everyone going. :)

Edited by 20pluscruises

Perhaps this is being done for hygenic reasons or maybe even thought to be to cut down on waste?

It's an attractive presentation and interesting idea, but imagining myself there, I'd only have a few of the string beans, a pc or 2 of that meat and, like a poster on another thread said, a couple pcs of pineapple or cantaloupe without having to take a whole fruit bowl. So personally I think I would be contributing to a lot of waste by having to take all those whole portions.

Also wondering how things like fried calamari would stay hot if they're not snatched right up.;)

Seems like the OP had a good experience with it though others have commented on food not being hot.

Guess I'll see for myself on the Equinox TA!

Guess I'll see for myself on the Equinox TA!

For now, this is just on the Summit unless recent cruisers on other ships have chimed in. They are doing many "experiments" on Summit this summer, presumably with intention on rolling out the "best of the best" to the other ships at some time in the future.

Chocolate fountain in the buffet will have my mother in heaven! She loves those things. :)

I think the portions are a little too large. I kinda liked the idea of a plated meal on the buffet. But I'll just share things this way. Might be nice to have more of a family-style meal.

Might be nice to have more of a family-style meal.

I hadn't thought of dining in this fashion, shared meals. It is a popular concept in my area that is gaining ground, perhaps this is part of the plan to entice "family" dining and interaction...? Tapas style dining is popular too, so these portion lend themselves to sharing I suppose, you can get many of the portions and share, or 1 portion and eat for yourself.

interesting....

Thqnks for posting the pics

We'd give it a try but only if food is freshly cooked and served....warm panini is not appealing...

hard to tell about presentation but the little baskets seem silly.....rather have food on a plate.than carry a basket

also surprised about the choc fountain ...being phased out around here as being germy but agree that potato bars, baked and mashed sound good.. and are not only popular but healthy...

if we must do the buffet at lunch, dh prefers the fresh made to order sandwhich service and I like to put together my own salad....

as long as their are choices....and thetes akways the Bistro and Porch on S class..,

I was also on the Summit and found I liked the little baskets. It made it easier to grab and go and much cleaner. I was outside waiting for a turkey burger to be cooked and heard several times celebrity staff telling cruisers that they would make them a new item because the other was being discarded because it got cold. Because I was on vacation and decided to take a nap instead of dressing up for formal night we went to the buffet and watch a wonderful sunset. We were also interviewed by someone who wanted to know how we liked the new system. I also saw him interviewing other cruisers throughout the cruise. So yes, Celebrity is listening and taking notes.