Below Decks / Engineering tours while @sea? Do they do this?

SeaDog70s

Like so many other guys (and gals), I am ex-USNavy, and would like to have an opportunity to see the below-decks engineering spaces and operations. Is this something that is offered, or could be arranged?

We will be first time cruisers in summer '15 on an Alaska cruise.

Like so many other guys (and gals), I am ex-USNavy, and would like to have an opportunity to see the below-decks engineering spaces and operations. Is this something that is offered, or could be arranged?

The Vista/Signature Class ships offer this (but not always), the cost is $150 but includes drinks/eats/photo and some other items. They (due to security concerns/safety issues) can't take you into the actual engine spaces but you will (and this can vary as well) see control room, bridge, environmental, laundry, kitchens/prep and various storage, crew spaces, theater (back stage) and more. Lasts 3+ hours. Check with the Front Desk as soon as you get aboard as this can sell out quickly 8-10 persons per tour (?). There are times however that it may be cancelled due to lack of sufficient interest, YMMV.

Edited by maxout

I didn't know it was probably offered on my cruise, will check better next time... Must be even more interesting than the kitchen tour I did have!

As a navy chef I even appreciated that tour :)

One year on the Eurodam we got a behind the scenes tour but mostly related to culinary related areas and that was very worth while. I still want to do the big tour.

Edited by Boytjie

As a navy chef I even appreciated that tour :)

One year on the Eurodam we got a behind the scenes tour but mostly related to culinary related areas and that was very worth while. I still want to do the big tour.

Highly recommended :D

Can't speak for HAL, sorry, but we did the Really Big Tour on QM2 a year ago, and it was excellent. Especially impressed by the medical facilities. If you can do it, Do It. Find out immediately (TA should know), and book as soon as you board--or better, get concierge or butler to do it for you. Probably only one tour per cruise and size is very limited.

Just got off the Prinsendam and this was a question posed to the Captain at a "Good Morning Prinsendam" session. The Captain stated that they no longer do tours of the bridge or engine room due to security concerns. There was a tour of the kitchen during our voyage but that was it.

Just got off the Prinsendam and this was a question posed to the Captain at a "Good Morning Prinsendam" session. The Captain stated that they no longer do tours of the bridge or engine room due to security concerns. There was a tour of the kitchen during our voyage but that was it.

Yes, only on the Vista/Signatures do they do the more extensive behind the scenes tours. Prinsendam would not be included in that.

Edited by maxout

If a tour is available, it will be on a Vista or Signature Class vessel. It really does depend upon the Master as to whether it is offered or not.

But, my most recent information is that the tour, if it is available, is only offered when the ship is in port. And, often, even then, is divided into two parts for two different port days.

The most comprehensive tour that I have enjoyed was on the Nieuw Amsterdam during her first season in the Caribbean. After visiting the Engine Control Room, the Chief Officer said: "Let us now go down into the Engine Room." I could not believe what I was hearing! But, we did and it was a wonderful experience!

I have never appreciated those on this Message Board who stated that I either did not know where I was or that I was lying about my experience.

Maybe being a former Navy person, if you are able to contact an Officer from the Engineering Department once you are onboard, you may be able to obtain a personal tour. Good luck!

We did a behind the scenes tour on our Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam in September. The cost was $150 and it was well worth it.

It was done in two parts, the first while we were in port. We toured the bridge, the engine control room and we actually were given a tour of the engine room as well (they don't normally but they did as an extra since the head engineer wasn't available).

The second part was the next day which was a sea day. We toured behind the scenes of the main stage, the decks where the staff sleep, one of the main dining room galleys, the pinnacle grill galley, the stores areas (the liquor store room was a highlight), the bakery, the laundry, the loading areas and some that I'm sure I have forgotten. The tour was limited to 12 people.

We had a drink and snacks provided after and were given some souvenirs.

Edited by kdkstormy

If a tour is available, it will be on a Vista or Signature Class vessel. It really does depend upon the Master as to whether it is offered or not.

But, my most recent information is that the tour, if it is available, is only offered when the ship is in port. And, often, even then, is divided into two parts for two different port days.

The most comprehensive tour that I have enjoyed was on the Nieuw Amsterdam during her first season in the Caribbean. After visiting the Engine Control Room, the Chief Officer said: "Let us now go down into the Engine Room." I could not believe what I was hearing! But, we did and it was a wonderful experience!

I have never appreciated those on this Message Board who stated that I either did not know where I was or that I was lying about my experience.

Maybe being a former Navy person, if you are able to contact an Officer from the Engineering Department once you are onboard, you may be able to obtain a personal tour. Good luck!

You were Not lying. I know for sure my DH was in at least 3 Engine Rooms. Did they give you ear plugs before you entered? :D

We did a behind the scenes tour on our Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam in September. The cost was $150 and it was well worth it.

It was done in two parts, the first while we were in port. We toured the bridge, the engine control room and we actually were given a tour of the engine room as well (they don't normally but they did as an extra since the head engineer wasn't available).

The second part was the next day which was a sea day. We toured behind the scenes of the main stage, the decks where the staff sleep, one of the main dining room galleys, the pinnacle grill galley, the stores areas (the liquor store room was a highlight), the bakery, the laundry, the loading areas and some that I'm sure I have forgotten. The tour was limited to 12 people.

We had a drink and snacks provided after and were given some souvenirs.

This description was exactly what I experienced on the Noordam in April 2013. It was well worth the $150

You were Not lying. I know for sure my DH was in at least 3 Engine Rooms. Did they give you ear plugs before you entered? :D

No ear plugs were given to us, but in the brief time in the Engine Room area, none were really needed. If one worked there for 8+ hours a day, then, yes, they would most certainly be required.

Being able to visit this area is something that I will never, ever forget! I am so grateful that the Chief Engineer considered that the questions my group and me were asking were worthy of allowing us to make the trek down to the Engine Room area.

No ear plugs were given to us, but in the brief time in the Engine Room area, none were really needed. If one worked there for 8+ hours a day, then, yes, they would most certainly be required.

Being able to visit this area is something that I will never, ever forget! I am so grateful that the Chief Engineer considered that the questions my group and me were asking were worthy of allowing us to make the trek down to the Engine Room area.

I'm sure you know those are rare invitations. :) Chief was very kind to show your his engines. :)

Nice! Someone obviously knew how much you would appreciate the tour.:)

Nice! Someone obviously knew how much you would appreciate the tour.:)

I was fortunate. I had several technical questions that I had acquired after reading several sources so that I think the Chief Engineer realized that I had some understanding of his domain, more than the usual cruise guest. Most of the other people in our group also showed the same level of being informed other than the usual: How many mpg does the ship get?

A different Chief Engineer? A different group? Who knows what would have happened. I do realize that this was a very special experience.

• 4 months later...

My DW and I just did a "Behind the Scenes" tour on the Eurodam. Sounds similar to what was described above. Everything on the sea day except for the bridge, engine control room, and yes, the deep descent via steep metal stairways down into the engine room. Yes, ear plugs were supplied.

Cost was $150 pp and for our money, it was the best value for any tour that HAL offers. They limited the tour to 14 people so as was said earlier, book when you board!

Presents included an "official" model of the Eurodam (you have to find room in your luggage to carry it home!), flashing drink glass (the ones they had for the dessert extravaganza before they cancelled it), a travel mug, and a copy of Susan Scott's book describing all the things you just saw on the tour.

Don't miss it!

My DH and I are in that Noordam book. :) I'm 'assuming' it is Cruise Q's by ?

It is a very clever way she set it up with the ring binder and all the chapters in packets. I think Captain's wife did a wonderful job on it.

There was a time it was available on line but I don't think that site is still active.

Edited by sail7seas

Welcome to CC and HAL's Oosterdam.

I took this tour and it included the Engine Room.

img_0720.jpg

Since this tour is often cancelled due to lack of promotion, convince your friends to take this tour with you and sign-in at the Front Desk as soon as you board the ship (Deck One, forward, in the Atrium). While you are at the Front Desk have a hole punched in your room card so that you can wear it on a lanyard.

Here is a link to the rest of my photographs of the Oosterdam Behind The Scenes Tour. Feel free to ask any of your hosts even the most technical questions.

It is a very clever way she set it up with the ring binder and all the chapters in packets.

This is the second edition. Softcover, but bound and not in a ring binder. I think I heard it was for sale in the ship's shops....

This is the second edition. Softcover, but bound and not in a ring binder. I think I heard it was for sale in the ship's shops....

Thanks for the update. Last time I spoke about it with Mrs. Scott, they were talking about making it available on all the ships.

I just went to the website and it seems to be active.

Here is a link: http://www.cruiseqs.com/

Edited by sail7seas

It is a very clever way she set it up with the ring binder and all the chapters in packets. I think Captain's wife did a wonderful job on it.

There was a time it was available on line but I don't think that site is still active.

:D :D I didn''t mean to write the question mark that seems to indicate I don't know who wrote the book. It's author is Susan Scott, wife of Captain John Scott. I just noticed I neglected to enter her name in my original post.