Man overboard on the Glory

pamrose228

On the Glory now. Five overhead pages for a passenger this morning - three in the public areas then two in the cabins. Captain confirmed through video review someone went overboard. Disney Fantasy just passed closer to us.

How does one go overboard on a ship unless copious amounts of alcohol are involved? Well, it's one of the Spring break weeks, so no surprise.

Sorry if I do not sound sympathetic. This just messes up everyone's cruise. :(

How does one go overboard on a ship unless copious amounts of alcohol are involved? Well, it's one of the Spring break weeks, so no surprise.

Uh yeah, especially the kid who is most likely dead. This is just terrible. I sincerely hope they find this poor kid, but I'm afraid it's not that likely.

There are many reasons why people go overboard such as suicide, depression, mental disabilities, the challenge to see if they can do it or the eagerness of doing it for the rush (same as people that go on those wild coaster rides), thrown overboard by another person, plain stupidity of doing things that can make them more prone to falling off as well as alcohol related.

Edited by lyndamr

You assume drinking was involved, no one knows that, nor do we know the circumstances around it. On one of our cruises several years back, an elderly couple locked their cabin doors and proceeded to jump overboard together. Apparently one of them was in bad health and the other one could not live without, so they chose to end it together. On another cruise, a woman was despondent about losing her spouse - a year to the day she jumped overboard. So, alcohol is not ALWAYS involved. Some people just can't handle life any more.

Of course, murder / suicide are options, and this has occurred in the past. However, being Spring break week, I have my suspicions. It will be what it will be. Yeah, your chances of surviving such a fall can be pretty slim. If it is murder, that's a different story. Suicide; then do it so you do not affect so many others. Foolishness; you got what you deserved. Sorry.

You assume drinking was involved, no one knows that, nor do we know the circumstances around it. On one of our cruises several years back, an elderly couple locked their cabin doors and proceeded to jump overboard together. Apparently one of them was in bad health and the other one could not live without, so they chose to end it together. On another cruise, a woman was despondent about losing her spouse - a year to the day she jumped overboard. So, alcohol is not ALWAYS involved. Some people just can't handle life any more.

On the Paradise, January 2009? We were trying to embark when they discovered the ship wasn't cleared. Had to wait in the Dome (no chairs, only concrete) til 6

6 months later we were again at the Dome. A gal said they found one of them a while later.

This seems to be a common occurrence on cruise ships these days. It's such a tragic thing for everyone involved.

Don't think it's common. Except for the above incident we've never encountered it (40+cruises on 4 lines)

Do think it's being reported more often. If we weren't on CC we wouldn't know anything about it.

Horrible to happen at anytime, in any way.

Edited by SadieN

Captain just made an announcement. Half Moon Cay is cancelled. We are still two hours away from the site where the passenger went overboard where we'll likely meet the Coast Guard. It's likely the Glory will be released from the search at that time and we'll continue on our itinerary.

My thoughts go out to the family and friends of the passenger.

Just thinking out loud. The fact it was discovered hours later is odd?

What I am saying it was suicide or a lonely drunken accident?

Could we count out murder if the Captain says he saw the video and didn't say anything else?

Whatever happens, my thoughts and prayers are with this guys family and friends. Also feel sorry for fellow cruisers during this distressing event for various reasons.

Edited by Velvetwater

Just thinking out loud. The fact it was discovered hours later is odd?

What I am saying it was suicide or a lonely drunken accident?

Could we count out murder if the Captain says he saw the video and didn't say anything else?

Whatever happens, my thoughts and prayers are with this guys family and friends. Also feel sorry for fellow cruisers during this distressing event for various reasons.

Who said that the Captain was aware of it when it happened?

MisterMom (hi! love your reviews!) states that it was confirmed through video review, meaning they went back and looked at tapes. The fact that it was reported hours later isn't surprising to me - it was probably reported early this morning when they realized he had not returned to the cabin and was "missing".

Regardless, prayers to the family and to those on the ship. Sad that you are missing HMC, but quite understandable given the circumstances. Hope all on the ship are as understanding as well.

The fact that it was hours later is shocking to me. This past New Years cruise on the Fantasy, we did the Behind the Scene tour. When were on the bridge they told us there were camera all the way around the ship that could detect something going overboard and would send an alarm to the bridge. I would assume the Glory (and all their ships) would have this technology???

Truly a tragedy no matter what the circumstances are and the last thing I would be thinking about is how it is ruining my cruise!!!

Who said that the Captain was aware of it when it happened?

I mean in the sense that no-one (inc Captain from video review) mentioned another person on the ship pushing/accidentally him off. We can say either he did not mention anyone else because details are not released yet or that he went overboard with no-one around.

If that makes sense.

I would hope the Captain and senior staff would have acted as promptly as they could but it is a highly stressful situation.

Edited by Velvetwater