Viking Star Deluxe Veranda categories?

jkerr

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between the DV1-DV6 categories. I see a pricing difference of about $1000. from

top to bottom. Is the pricing difference based on cabin location on the ship?

Thanks

Don't forget that the cabin size and amenities for the deluxe veranda and the basic veranda are virtually the same.

The main difference would appear to be the ability to make an advance reservation in each of the two speciality restaurants plus the ability to book excursions slightly earlier. Also the mini-fridge is restocked with soft drinks in the DV cabins but not in the standard V cabins. A coffee machine, use of binoculars and a cashmere blanket make up the other differences as per the Viking website.

It is no surprise the the basic Veranda cabins sell out first.

Neil

Don't forget that the cabin size and amenities for the deluxe veranda and the basic veranda are virtually the same.

The main difference would appear to be the ability to make an advance reservation in each of the two speciality restaurants plus the ability to book excursions slightly earlier. Also the mini-fridge is restocked with soft drinks in the DV cabins but not in the standard V cabins. A coffee machine, use of binoculars and a cashmere blanket make up the other differences as per the Viking website.

It is no surprise the the basic Veranda cabins sell out first.

Neil

Yes, thanks for the response Neil. But once you decide you want deluxe veranda and those amenities, then there is a price range of $1000.00 within the Deluxe Veranda category. My guess is that the higher decks command a higher price?

Its not just the higher the decks but where they are on each deck. Central is generally more expensive than at the front or back. The website has good colour coding which shows where each of the DV1-DV6 cabins are located to help make the decision.

I personally like a cabin with other cabins above and below wherever possible to limit any risk of noise from restaurants, theatres etc.

Neil

But the price difference basically is location. The idea is that the view is better the higher up you go. Another tip, avoid cabins next to exit doors, even though they may be the same price. We were next to a heavy exterior door and it constantly banged. It was the same price as others on our floor. Also, if you tend to get queasy in rough seas, if possible don't choose cabins in the front of the ship - it tends to rock more in heavy seas. Supposedly the middle of the ship is the most stable, but I find the rear of the ship was just as stable on the Star. But once you've settled on the DV category the price difference is purely location.

Yes, as others already mentioned, some people prefer mid-ship because it's more stable than the front and aft. Maybe that really doesn't matter on Star, as I noticed very, very little motion on her, even when I was up front on 8 and she was humming along at close to top speed. However, cruise lines charge more for mid-section cabins, and even more for cabins higher up, and Viking is no exception. We've never really found room location to matter much, except on our 2 Celebrity cruises, where we were once next to a service area with doors banging shut all day and part of the night. At least we got good at tuning it out after a day or so. I don't think Viking has any of those, which is a good thing.

If you're particular, you might want to choose a room that's not too far up front on 3 as a few people reported hearing noise from the theater certain times. Also, the laundry room was popular, so if there are rooms across from them (I forget) those might not be ideal. (On 3 it was right before the Atrium; not sure if there was a room across from that). If you're super particular or have mobility issues, I'd probably think about where you'll eat breakfast and dinner the most and whether you'd prefer to be close to those venues. Where you get off the ship is pretty central, so that doesn't make much difference in the equation. Nor does side of ship, as you won't see all that much of interest an hour or so after the ship leaves each port.

We were in a DV4 cabin right between the elevators and above one of the lifeboats. This was a very stable location. Even on a night when others reported a lot of motion, we felt very little. Our friends were on the same deck right across from the laundry room. They were a little concerned at first but said they could not hear anything - either machines running or people coming and going.

We were upgraded from a DV6 to a DV2 prior to embarkation, and the only difference I could tell from the materials we received was that we were center, deck 7 instead of near the rear, deck 3. After living on the ship, I am very happy we were moved from deck 3 to 7, just based on noise level and view.

It really is all about position.

The height of the deck and how central on a specific deck.

I recently sailed in a Deluxe Veranda Stateroom on Deck 4. Category DV4 Stateroom 4045...

22865267814_1b63cec0c8_z.jpg

Here is a photograph taken while visiting Ajaccio. It well illustrates the stateroom positions and what is likely to have a minimal obstruction...

23639856643_6ef3b4e664_z.jpg

I say minimal because the only obstruction to a perfect view that I can make out would be from those staterooms on Deck 4 directly above the tenders, illustrated here as we arrived in Toulon...

24158513562_c544f421ac_z.jpg

By minimal I mean that the occupiers 'line of site' would probably not allow them to see the 'gangway' when rigged.

Really no big deal at all.

You can read about the rest of my cruise on Viking star through this link to my cruise blog...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

Edited by Solent Richard

You can read about the rest of my cruise on Viking star through this link to my cruise blog...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

I just wanted to say thank you for a wonderful blog! I just spent some time reading through your Viking Star review, and then a few others, as well. Great photos and I appreciate the time you took! We have never been outside the mainstream lines and I'm strongly considering an 11-day Caribbean itinerary on the Star...your photos "sold" me even further!

What a great blog... thanks so much! I was just flipping through a mailer the other day and thought the West Indies cruise looked good, and your information helps tremendously.

I was told the difference is location on the three Viking ocean ships. A deluxe cabin at midship on a certain deck is $200 more per person than the same size cabin on same deck at extreme aft of ship. Location-location. Unless you do a suite, veranda and deluxe veranda are the same size.

Edited by seveneleven

• 2 months later...

I recently sailed in a Deluxe Veranda Stateroom on Deck 4. Category DV4 Stateroom 4045...

Here is a photograph taken while visiting Ajaccio. It well illustrates the stateroom positions and what is likely to have a minimal obstruction...

I say minimal because the only obstruction to a perfect view that I can make out would be from those staterooms on Deck 4 directly above the tenders, illustrated here as we arrived in Toulon...

By minimal I mean that the occupiers 'line of site' would probably not allow them to see the 'gangway' when rigged.

Great information. Thank you. Because of your post I think we made up our minds that it will be Viking Oceans for our Homeland cruise. We love their River cruises so I'm sure we will love the Ocean cruises. Thanks again for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for photo, we're going to be in 4058 so I was curious at how people enjoyed the room