Car? Train? Bus? Montreal to Quebec?

napunani

Our research has determined costly flights from San Antonio to Quebec, with more moderate cost flights into Montreal. We are seeking your feedback on transportation from Montreal to Quebec on 10/22/16 (Saturday). PRINCESS ship sails Sunday 10/23/16, so we would have the entire day of 10/22 to travel between the two cities. We are interested in feedback from those who have utilized a rental car, bus and train.

Thanks for your feedback!

I have used the train (Via Rail), and I liked my ride. Many cruisers also use the bus (Orléans Express) or rent a car. The trains do not run as frequently as the buses and are sometimes late (because merchandise trains have priority on the rail). My train was only a few minutes late.

More info. and testimonials on this "old" link:

"Montréal to Québec" :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076376

Link for the train: http://www.viarail.ca/en/home

Link for the bus: https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Our research has determined costly flights from San Antonio to Quebec, with more moderate cost flights into Montreal.

Welcome to my world... :)

As stated, all are possible and all have their advantages. I actually researched all 3 options a few years ago as we flew out of YUL on BA for our Med cruise.

-In terms of simplicity, the Orléans Express bus from YUL to Québec's Gare du Palais bus station (same building as the train station - this will show up as 'Quebec downtown' in their menu) is hard to beat. However, as the bus stops a couple of times en route, it makes the journey significantly longer than driving (the schedule says 4:15, whereas it doesn't take me more than 3 hours to drive it myself). Expect to pay around CA$65+tax

-The train is a great option... from downtown Montreal. In my research, I really couldn't find an easy way to make it work to YUL - if you can find a way, go for it.

-The car rental option will provide you with the most flexibility - and ultimately, will most likely be your cheapest option. There's a Hertz just up the hill from Gare du Palais.

Arriving at Gare du Palais actually puts you much closer to the cruise port than flying in does - it's walkable in a pinch, or a short taxi or city bus ride.

A few times per week, you can take the train to Québec city from the YUL airport via a shuttle to the Dorval train station (Via Connect). From what I see, there is no such train on Oct. 22nd but there is one on Oct. 21st. More specific shuttle info. on this link:

https://reservia.viarail.ca/search/tripresult.aspx?t=D&from=bc

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Personally I wouldn't take the bus if it was free, although the "747" bus from the airport to the railway station is tolerable and a good deal at $10.

Unfortunately on Saturdays the train service from Montreal to Quebec is reduced to just three a day. If the times can work for you I recommend you consider Business Class which can cost as little as (Can.)$99 plus sales tax. Most of the trains on this run have the new Business seating, i.e. the traditional "2+1" and are very comfortable.

There is a Business Class lounge in Montreal's Central Station. The on-board service offers a hot meal and drinks, including a cocktail and wine.

If you take the 13:00 departure from Montreal you will be on what is called a Renaissance train. Even coach (economy) passengers get the first class "2 +1" seating which is far roomier than any bus I have been on.

I will be taking VIA Rail from Toronto to Quebec (with a change in Montreal) for the Queen Mary 2 voyage in October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How does ViaRail work with luggage?

I see the website refers to carry on luggage. Does that mean we take our large luggage on the train car with us?

It means ViaRail will accommodate a carry on luggage size piece and DO NOT guaranty you can bring other regular size luggage...yes I know...stupid, right ???

They do not have a dedicated luggage cart and it is stupid IMO...

I have read plenty of reviews here on CC about cruisers who took ViaRail from Montreal to Quebec or vice versa with a couple of full size luggage and never had a problem boarding the train...but there is a slim possibility you could have a problem...

How does ViaRail work with luggage?

I see the website refers to carry on luggage. Does that mean we take our large luggage on the train car with us?

Some trains to Québec City have a checked luggage car some don't. Once you find the day you want to travel on the website, click on the "+" sign beside the train number. If you see a suitcase logo it means there is checked baggage service.

My train did not have a checked luggage service so I took it with me. There was enough space for my suitcase in front of the passenger car.

More info. on allowances here:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/baggage

If you are not comfortable using the website, there is a toll-free Via number for the USA. 1 888 842-7245. They will help you out.

• 4 weeks later...

this may not help you at this late date, but maybe for others planning in the future. We flew Southwest from Nashville to NYC to catch the Princess ship that went from NYC to Quebec City. After the cruise we took a quick cab ride to the Via Rail train station and took it to Montreal. Love the ViaRail…clean and comfortable. We stayed overnight in Montreal for a short day/evening of sightseeing and then caught Amtrak from Montreal to Albany, NY where we flew Southwest back home. I know SWA serves San Antonio so you might want to check this out. We each had one large piece of luggage and one carry-on. Luggage was checked when on ViaRail and just stored in the front of our car on Amtrak. Lovely scenery and no problems at all. Quite easy. Love that SWA allows you one way for same price as a 2 way.

We are doing something similar so was happy to see that you enjoyed the train ride from Quebec City to Montreal. We are flying from San Francisco to NYC then taking our first cruise which is from NYC to Quebec City on Crystal. After 3 nights in Quebec City we're on Via Rail Canada to Montreal for 2 nights then Montreal to NYC. Am interested in the Montreal to NYC segment.:)

A rental car would probably cost about $150 - and give you the best time flexibility - Quebec would be my suggestion for spending as much of your pre-cruise as possible. Rail would be about $85 per person - comfortable, but slower than driving - and only three trains on Saturday - also have heard of problems bringing luggage.

We are doing something similar so was happy to see that you enjoyed the train ride from Quebec City to Montreal. We are flying from San Francisco to NYC then taking our first cruise which is from NYC to Quebec City on Crystal. After 3 nights in Quebec City we're on Via Rail Canada to Montreal for 2 nights then Montreal to NYC. Am interested in the Montreal to NYC segment.:)

Via/Amtrak runs daily about 8:30 AM getting to NY about 10:00 PM - comfortable coach seats, I think about $80 fare. No checked luggage, so you have to haul everything on yourself, but there is ample storage at the end of each car as well as overhead racks. It is a scenic ride most of the way. It's too bad they didn't keep the overnight sleeping car trains - there used to be two different routes, one down the Hudson Valley and the other through Vermont, Mass and Ct - continuing down to Washington DC.- but that was years ago.

Previous poster gave a lot of good info.

Between Montréal and NYC the quickest way (besides flying), if you don't mind driving, is a one-way rental car. The drive is about 6 1/2 hours. To avoid a long wait at the border, choose where you are crossing carefully. Bring a GPS, as road signs in Québec are in French. Many Americans do this every year without a problem, especially families.

The Amtrak train ride from Montréal is scenic but long, around 11 hours. There is only one train a day which leaves at 10:20 AM. You get into Penn Station (NYC) at 8:50 PM.

Lastly, Greyhound has multiple buses which go from Montréal to New York. The night one takes about 7 hours not counting time at the border crossing.

Of course you can always fly, but the last time I did that, it cost me over $ 200 CAD... for one person...

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

We chose to take the Orleans Express bus from Quebec City to Montreal after finding that the trains that fit our schedule didn't have a baggage car. We had been on a 10-day cruise with two days in NYC, and we had large suitcases and camera bags. We just didn't want to schlep the bags onto the train.

We had a great trip on the Orleans Express. My 6'3" husband, who absolutely hates the crowded feel of buses, was perfectly happy with our trip, and we would make the same choice again if we needed to travel between Montreal and Quebec City.

• 1 month later...

The OP found a solution that works; but if the question arises again, it might be helpful to know that the Princess offers both a hotel/transfer package or simply a transfer from the airport in Montreal on embarkation day.

The cost for the transfer alone is $64 pp and leaves for Quebec at 10AM.

• 2 months later...

After checking for a Via train ticket (all full), I took the Orléans Express bus last month to travel from Montréal to Québec City and back. Very pleasant experience both times. Lots of leg space and decent free Wi-Fi. I think everybody was considerate and did not use things with too much band-width. There were electric plugs to avoid emptying laptop batteries. The bus was clean (even the washroom in the back which I usually avoid).

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser