Pokemon found on Carnival Sunshine

mibarron

Hello lovelies! (In my best Emma voice [emoji4])

I'm currently on the Sunshine, heading back to NY on Wednesday. Sad, sad times indeed. [emoji24]. Anyway, as promised I decided to check to see if Pokemon could be found on the sunshine. Now, before the naysayers jump on here saying how that's not what vacationing is about, blah, blah, blah...I wanted to tell those who wanted to know, that yes, you can catch Pokemon on board...but there is a catch...

My kids and I play Pokemon go. ((Level 25 right here - whoop, whoop)) We got the value plan Internet package. We probably should have gotten the premium package, but it was more money than I would have like to spend.

On the lido deck, during a sea day (today - heading back to NY), we grabbed lunch and decided to try the app. Yes, we are seated, so there's no wandering around and knocking people overboard. After a long minute, the app finally opens...and nothing pops up. Zip, zero, nada. So we use an incense. Because the ship is moving 14-17 knots, there is no need to move around. They all came to us. Ponytas, jiggly puff, growlith, magicarp, etc, even pigdeys and weeddles in case you missed them from home. Here's the catch: you have to catch them quickly or they run away, since the ship is moving very quickly. So, if you want catch Pokemon, you'll have to use an incense and get a good internet package. Also, because we used the value plan, our wifi kept freezing up, which was annoying at times. If you feel like splurging, and get easily annoyed like me, you might want to consider the premium package.

Margaritaville in grand Turk, we caught tons on Pokemon too. The password for the free wifi is flipflop. We used a lure, as we were next to a poke stop by the pool. No wandering around here either. "Used a lure."

Hope this helps and it works for you if you decide to try it out.

PS: you won't hatch any eggs. The ship is moving too fast for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First, good for you for doing YOUR vacation, your way. Second, I didn't understand a word of what you said, except that you caught Pokemon. My 14 year old son, however, is now ecstatic with joy. He is hoping to catch some rare exotic Pokemon when we sail in November, so thanks for giving him hope!

Edited by flyersfan1129

Sweet! (Level 22 mom here, minor whoop). I'm not going for a long time but it's good to know. Wow, it would be a lot of fun to play on a ship. They're all escaping fast after that last update and after reaching level 20 and I can see that it would be even worse when you're going 20 knots. Still... Good to know! Happy catching!

I also don't understand one word of what you said, except that I know what a Pokemon is, but I wanted to say, good for you! My husband and I also get the value plan so that we can keep up with The Simpsons Tapped Out (also an app game) while on vacation. It's what we do for fun, and I get sick of all the people who try to make themselves seem so much better than everyone else because they "totally unplug" while on a cruise. To each his/her own.

Thanks!! Ok, this is a dumb question but can you use the app while in airplane mode to avoid international charges?

Correct, you put it in airplane mode, but then turn on the wifi. The wifi doesn't used data, which is what will cost you roaming charges if you don't turn it off.

I also don't understand one word of what you said, except that I know what a Pokemon is, but I wanted to say, good for you! My husband and I also get the value plan so that we can keep up with The Simpsons Tapped Out (also an app game) while on vacation. It's what we do for fun, and I get sick of all the people who try to make themselves seem so much better than everyone else because they "totally unplug" while on a cruise. To each his/her own.

Correct, you put it in airplane mode, but then turn on the wifi. The wifi doesn't used data, which is what will cost you roaming charges if you don't turn it off.

Thank you! I never was quite sure how that worked. Seriously, how good is being "unplugged" if you are judging everyone else on how they should spend their vacation?? Why does anyone care? Hey, I'm 54 and play this with my boys 21, 22 and 29 and we have a blast. It's a great way to connect with them :).

Thanks!! Ok, this is a dumb question but can you use the app while in airplane mode to avoid international charges?

Yes, you have to put your phone on airplane mode and connect to the ships wifi...of course, you have to pay for the Internet package.

Thank you! I've been insanely curious about whether the incense world work.

Interesting that it's in the cruise ports.

Ignore the haters.

Haters gonna hate! [emoji12]. I didn't try it in Nassau, but I would imagine that it works there too.

Good to hear that Pokémon Go could work on board ship via an incense . There was a big roll out for Pokémon Go in Central and South American countries and a number of Caribbean islands. Didn't see Turks Caicos listed but sounds like it is. If you would reach out to the GT board I believe there's a thread asking the question. You can share with the OP your experiences in GT using a lure.

And from what you said about on the ship, it's probably best to sit and snag versus running over toddlers, grannies, and sots on the Lido:D:rolleyes:

Good to hear that Pokémon Go could work on board ship via an incense . There was a big roll out for Pokémon Go in Central and South American countries and a number of Caribbean islands. Didn't see Turks Caicos listed but sounds like it is. If you would reach out to the GT board I believe there's a thread asking the question. You can share with the OP your experiences in GT using a lure.

And from what you said about on the ship, it's probably best to sit and snag versus running over toddlers, grannies, and sots on the Lido:D:rolleyes:

Good idea! I'll see if I can find the thread for GT. Thanks!

Thank you! I never was quite sure how that worked. Seriously, how good is being "unplugged" if you are judging everyone else on how they should spend their vacation?? Why does anyone care? Hey, I'm 54 and play this with my boys 21, 22 and 29 and we have a blast. It's a great way to connect with them :).

I'm 53 and I play with my 32, 26, 24, 22 and 18 year old boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good information! I promised my young son, who isn't going on the cruise with us, that I would look for Pokemon in Europe (we'll be on the Vista next week). He gets so excited when we catch a new type. I have the premium internet package, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to use up data!

It is a fun way to play a game with your kiddos. My son, who is in the third grade, loves it. And I love to see him joyful and happy. Sometimes we stop at local parks just to look around for new Pokemon. A good way to hit the trails and get some exercise while we hatch eggs being incubated.

Edited by njsmom

Guess if my now adult son wishes to play during his Christmas vacation cruise, he will have to pay for his internet, now won't he?:p

That's what I told my kids for our next cruise. You want the premium wifi package for better Pokemon connection, start saving up!! [emoji12]

My son's face just lit up when i told him people are catching pokes on the ship. Thanks for the information!!

And that is the only thing that matters. My youngest is 26 now but my favorite thing in the world is still just making her smile or laugh. :)

Can confirm that you can catch Pokemon while on a cruise. Just returned from the Breeze. Turned on airplane mode and paid for ship wifi. Caught Pokemon in Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. Cozumel has tons of Pokestops and a couple of gyms.

My son's face just lit up when i told him people are catching pokes on the ship. Thanks for the information!!

And THIS is why I wanted to let everyone know about it. My kids and I have fun hanging out and catching Pokemon together. They were happy (so was I) that you can catch it too. [emoji1]

My sons are 20 and 23 now and we've been gaming together since they were toddlers. We started out with Mario Cart and Zelda, played WoW for years (still do) and are now playing Pokemon as well. My oldest and I have traveled to Anaheim for Blizzcon twice now. It's a cherished experience for us both.

They're both fully functional, awesome young men and we have a great relationship. Play with your kids! Do what you love!

You're right..haters gonna hate. Let em. It's really none of their business.

My sons are 20 and 23 now and we've been gaming together since they were toddlers. We started out with Mario Cart and Zelda, played WoW for years (still do) and are now playing Pokemon as well. My oldest and I have traveled to Anaheim for Blizzcon twice now. It's a cherished experience for us both.

They're both fully functional, awesome young men and we have a great relationship. Play with your kids! Do what you love!

You're right..haters gonna hate. Let em. It's really none of their business.

LOVE!!!!!!! So true :)