Sewer Smell - Causes and Fixes?

lelder1

Hi all, I will be heading out on the Magic in April and see a lot of reviews talking about a bad sewer smell in the OV rooms (which we booked) and other cabins. On a prior Carnival cruise we also experienced this smell toward the end of the cruise. Does anyone know what causes this? Is there some way to prevent the smell from entering your cabin?

We've sailed over 50+cruises and have rarely smelled sewer odors. If you have high seas the water can run out of the bathroom trap. Pouring water down both the sink and shower drains usually clears the smell up.

Hi all, I will be heading out on the Magic in April and see a lot of reviews talking about a bad sewer smell in the OV rooms (which we booked) and other cabins.

I believe this issue is more prominent on Cove Balconies rather than in staterooms themselves. As previously stated pouring water down drains can clear sewage smells.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/url

The most common cause of sewer smells in cabins is the bathroom floor drain (not the shower), that typically hides under the toilet, or is a trough drain at the door. These drains see little water into them, so the dry air from the AC tends to dry out the water in the trap, and odors back up. A glass of water down these drains will normally do more than pouring it down the sink or shower.

Ships plumbing is different than your home plumbing.....all sorts of things can "screw it up"...and sewer smells are common on ships....sometimes, they come and go...sometimes they are only in one area....then it moves....

Yes...definitely keep water in those drains! The motion of the ocean can shift the water so sewer gas can escape. Also, don't flush ANYTHING but the provided toilet paper. Don't put tampons, or wet wipes into the toilet....or diapers...or whatever else people might flush at home....

Ships plumbing is different than your home plumbing.....all sorts of things can "screw it up"...and sewer smells are common on ships....sometimes, they come and go...sometimes they are only in one area....then it moves....

Yes...definitely keep water in those drains! The motion of the ocean can shift the water so sewer gas can escape. Also, don't flush ANYTHING but the provided toilet paper. Don't put tampons, or wet wipes into the toilet....or diapers...or whatever else people might flush at home....

The problem with your suggestions regarding flushing things down the toilet, is that it is completely off topic (as usual). The black water system for the toilets is completely separated from the gray water system for the sinks, showers, galleys, laundries, and deck drains, unlike your home septic piping where it is all common. Finally, and I know you never return to a thread after a drive by, but there is nothing special about the toilet paper on the ship, other than it is as cheap as possible. I have worked for 42 years with vacuum toilet systems, used almost the entire range of toilet paper available, and never had a problem caused by "incorrect" toilet paper.

The problem with your suggestions regarding flushing things down the toilet, is that it is completely off topic (as usual). The black water system for the toilets is completely separated from the gray water system for the sinks, showers, galleys, laundries, and deck drains, unlike your home septic piping where it is all common. Finally, and I know you never return to a thread after a drive by, but there is nothing special about the toilet paper on the ship, other than it is as cheap as possible. I have worked for 42 years with vacuum toilet systems, used almost the entire range of toilet paper available, and never had a problem caused by "incorrect" toilet paper.

You might as well have told the nearest wall all of that. Doubt she will read it and I will bet you 100 dollars she wont reply ;):p

In addition to the notes about the drains, call guest services and report it if you have a sudden bad smell. We started smelling a sewer smell on the second day of our Disney cruise, the service actually ended up being one of the nicer points of the cruise. A worker was there within a half hour to address the issue. There was a problem that he worked on for a half hour or so to correct. We were visited by an officer and supervisor later to verify that the worker had fixed the problem and there was no additional issue. I'm sure not every experience is so good, but if you have a problem, report it and try to have it fixed.

Most of the time the smell is from the bathroom trap, or possible a leak on the deck, which we've experienced. We put water down the trap which fixes the problem most times. We also place Glade Twist Solid Air Freshner's, or another room deodorizer thats easily transportable to place in the bathroom and bedroom, which takes care of any smells.

465989444_cleanlinensolidairfreshener.jpg.242eab4f81676e59ac036e297c8922df.jpg

renuzit-fresh-accents-air-freshener.jpg.1b5bafda4db3c7012f64629daea34869.jpg

Finally, and I know you never return to a thread after a drive by, but there is nothing special about the toilet paper on the ship, other than it is as cheap as possible. I have worked for 42 years with vacuum toilet systems, used almost the entire range of toilet paper available, and never had a problem caused by "incorrect" toilet paper.

I wish I could make this a sticky on every cruiseline board. I am soooooo sick of hearing about how "special" the cheap ass cruise toilet paper is. As someone who is allergic to most toilet tissue - and brings my own everywhere I go - I get so frustrated with this particular internet misinformation that just won't die. ugh!