Afternoon Tea in London

drdaddy

There are so many wonderful places to have afternoon tea in London. The reviews all sound so wonderful but they do sound a bit like advertisements. But we need to do this once pre cruise (The DW wants to do this twice in 4 days! I don't think so). We are considering OXO tower because it also has savory bits besides the tea. That would be an early dinner. Has anyone been to this one? The Orangery sounds lovely. Dean Street Townhouse is impossible to get in to without reservation.

Any definite thoughts about which one to do?

We booked our tea at the Orangery a few years ago and it was absolutely lovely. Cannot remember the cost but, like you, wanted to experience a real afternoon tea. We prebooked it on line. The gardens were also pretty to walk around in before or after tea. We've also loved having a cream tea and I am counting the days until I can order one again! We will be in England in May and I'm watching my weight now so that I can have a few while we're abroad!:D

Enjoy!

Barb

I had lunch at the Orangery last October and wish I had done their afternoon tea instead. It looked lovely.

We had afternoon tea at the Ritz, I don't think it was worth the price and wouldn't recommend it. I'll be back in London in May and looking for another place for tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Afternoon Tea is my favourite hobby!

I would highly recommend Claridges for afternoon tea - if you want a formal experience, you will have to book well in advance.

The Chesterfield is also another one of my favourites - obviously both totally unlimited so enjoy!

So many choices. The Orangery sounded wonderful. The Ritz is supposed to be way formal. We are headed for a cruise after London and those bags will not be opened until on board. And there is only a Tux and bow ties!

I just recently heard about a bus that drives around town and you have tea on it! That has gotten some nice reviews.

We did Harrods a few years ago and the food was excellent but it was late and the service was rushed.

We had afternoon tea at the Ritz, I don't think it was worth the price and wouldn't recommend it.

Isn't that true for most afternoon teas in London- that they're very expensive and therefore not worth the price you paid?

I was looking at afternoon tea cause that seems like a touristy London experience and I thought I was misreading the prices. I thought it couldn't be that expensive- that must be the price for tea for two or something.

For some of those prices, you could get order lunch or dinner at a really nice restaurant.

I agree but what you are really doing is enjoying the "experience".

We are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary on May 20 but will be traveling to Southampton for the second of our three cruises so will be having Afternoon Tea in London on the 19th. Place not determined yet.

For some of those prices, you could get order lunch or dinner at a really nice restaurant.
Rather randomly, the other evening I was reading a piece written by an American travel blogger who's a member of the college I went to. In a sidebar, she highly recommended afternoon tea at sketch.

As this is a real foodie's place, that might fit both halves of the (inevitably substantial) bill.

Isn't that true for most afternoon teas in London- that they're very expensive and therefore not worth the price you paid?

With the Ritz, I was okay with paying the price, expecting to have excellent service and food. We didn't receive that so that's why it wasn't worth the price to me. I've had afternoon tea here in Toronto that far surpassed the Ritz.

Why is afternoon tea so expensive?

Its just some water, tea leaves, and some snacks, right? Do they still use teabags for afternoon tea?

If you replaced the tea with coffee, there's no way you could get away with charging so much.

It isn't just tea and snacks... You are paying for an experience: Elegant tables, attentive staff and beautifully presented food.

FORTNUM'S SAVOURY AFTERNOON TEA SAMPLE MENU

Finger sandwiches

Coronation Chicken

Fortnum's Smoked Salmon

Cucumber with Mint & Cream Cheese

Monarch glazed ham with marmalade dressing

Rare Breed Hen's Egg Mayonnaise with English Cress

Fortnum's savoury scones

Stilton Scone with Port Jelly

Mustard Scone with Ham & Egg Mayonnaise

Afternoon Tea savouries

Oeufs Drumkilbo

Wild Mushroom Puff with Truffle

Smoked Salmon Blini with Caviar

Game Terrine with Quince

Parfait of Goose Foie Gras Eclair with Muscat Glaze

Afternoon Tea Cakes

Selection from the Cake Carriage

£46.00 per person with Fortnum's Famous Blends

£50.00 per person with Rare Tea

Its just some water, tea leaves, and some snacks, right? Do they still use teabags for afternoon tea?

If you replaced the tea with coffee, there's no way you could get away with charging so much.

Plus there's 20%vat (value added tax) included.:)

It isn't just tea and snacks... You are paying for an experience: Elegant tables, attentive staff and beautifully presented food.
Plus the ubiquitous question of supply and demand. So long as people clamour for the afternoon tea "experience" and are prepared not only to pay lots of money but to suffer the inconveniences (how many sittings an afternoon does the Ritz now do?), the price will reflect that demand.

As dana r. observed, for the price of that Fortnum's afternoon tea, I could get a good dinner in a Michelin-starred restaurant.

As dana r. observed, for the price of that Fortnum's afternoon tea, I could get a good dinner in a Michelin-starred restaurant.

So true! And even better these wonderful restaurants also have very affordable lunches.

What makes 19 th century Afternoon Tea such a must do thing in London for the American tourist?

I was looking at afternoon tea cause that seems like a touristy London experience and I thought I was misreading the prices. I thought it couldn't be that expensive- that must be the price for tea for two or something.

EVERYTHING in London is expensive. The experience is sublime. Our last tea in London was in early March, and it seemed that the majority of the people there were locals. It was filling enough that we didn't need dinner, taking that into account it was certainly not all that expensive in the big picture.

Um, no.

First of all, they use loose tea properly prepared in a pot. You typically get to choose from 20 or more teas.

The "snacks" are more than "snacks." You'll typically start with some finger sandwiches. With what you'll be served it would be the equivalent of 1 1/2 or two regular sandwiches. Then you'll get scones with clotted cream and jam on the side--and they are very gracious if you request a second! After that will be pastries and cakes. You'll be in a suigar coma by the time they finish bringing them to you. The pot will be refilled, and you're welcome to try a different type of tea the second time around. I've never left a proper tea without wanting to simply roll myself out the door.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the folks that prefer NOT to experience afternoon tea in London are the same ones who cruise with a small carry on bag and on formal nights, frequent the MDR in a clean Tee shirt.

Understood that there are less expensive meals even in London. But let's not give up all elegance. At least not yet.