Grrandeur Sailing into Blizzard?

Would love to hear from passengers currently on the Grandeur of the Seas... Today (Wed. 1/3/18) there was a huge winter storm going up the Eastern coast of the USA, and according to VesselFinder dot com, the ship sailed out of Baltimore right into the storm... and is currently just off Virginia Beach, right where the worst of the weather is. There are blizzard warnings and winter storm warnings about heavy snow and high winds, all the way up the coast from Norfolk, the Northern Neck, etc.

A few days ago, a passenger on the Grandeur posted in an on-line weather forum that GoS was in 20-foot seas and that unfortunately many of the passengers weren't feeling too well. :(

She’s currently sailing into Charleston harbor so she must have made it through okay. I was on board her a few years ago when we hit those type of seas on the way back to Baltimore. It was a little tough walking through the Solarium and Windjammer but she made it through fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would love to hear from passengers currently on the Grandeur of the Seas... Today (Wed. 1/3/18) there was a huge winter storm going up the Eastern coast of the USA, and according to VesselFinder dot com, the ship sailed out of Baltimore right into the storm... and is currently just off Virginia Beach, right where the worst of the weather is. There are blizzard warnings and winter storm warnings about heavy snow and high winds, all the way up the coast from Norfolk, the Northern Neck, etc.

A few days ago, a passenger on the Grandeur posted in an on-line weather forum that GoS was in 20-foot seas and that unfortunately many of the passengers weren't feeling too well. :(

Grandeur left Baltimore on Tuesday I believe, just ahead of the Port of Baltimore closing yesterday. As another person noted, they are in Charleston now. On the Grandeur of the Seas Fan page on Facebook, one passenger is a meteorologist and he has relayed stories and a video showing the sea off his aft balcony. It didn't look too bad, but they were expecting the worst of it at dinner, which was the first formal night! I think they did say a few people were sick at dinner. We sail on her next week, so hoping the storms have blown through entirely by then!

I am on Grandeur now. Conditions were not too bad yesterday — rocky but I have certainly been in worse. We had to be careful while walking but I didn’t see too many people struggling. Barf bags were NOT out.

Got into Charleston about 2 hours late. The city had five inches of snow and it is 28 degrees. All tours have been cancelled. Capt began his talk this morning with “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!” Cautioned people about slippery conditions if going outside.

I will have internet until around 2:30 when we leave—if you have any questions. Katherine

I am on Grandeur now. Conditions were not too bad yesterday — rocky but I have certainly been in worse. We had to be careful while walking but I didn’t see too many people struggling. Barf bags were NOT out.

Got into Charleston about 2 hours late. The city had five inches of snow and it is 28 degrees. All tours have been cancelled. Capt began his talk this morning with “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!” Cautioned people about slippery conditions if going outside.

I will have internet until around 2:30 when we leave—if you have any questions. Katherine

Thanks for the reminder of why we cruise from Florida and San Juan:p

Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise :)

We live in the Charleston area and cannot imagine arriving here today on a ship. Most everything downtown where the ship docks is closed including restaurants, museums and retail stores. School are closed, a lot of our bridges are closed, I am working from home today as roads are a mess. Walking around will be beautiful if you are prepared to be walking in the cold, snow and slush.

Thanks for the reminder of why we cruise from Florida and San Juan:p

Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise :)

We are driving down to Florida tomorrow for Oasis sailing Sunday. Thought we were heading to warm weather, NOT. Looks like we will be wearing our heavy coats to get on ship. :eek: I was kidding my son who has always said sail out of Florida, you start out warm. Not this time. At least we will be on a ship going to warmer weather.

We are driving down to Florida tomorrow for Oasis sailing Sunday. Thought we were heading to warm weather, NOT. Looks like we will be wearing our heavy coats to get on ship. :eek: I was kidding my son who has always said sail out of Florida, you start out warm. Not this time. At least we will be on a ship going to warmer weather.

By the time you sail on Sunday, it'll be back up to 70 degrees here in FL. But it's chilly now! Travel safe!

We too are on the Grandeur, our cold weather cruise ship. Not much to add to Lady Hudson’s post other than we are still enjoying ourselves.

The 2 port workers tried to remove 5 inches of snow from the pier using one shovel and a push broom. They gave up after clearing 20 or so feet of snow so folks slipped and slid while walking to a closed town. We didn’t bother, walking the pool deck was cold and windy enough. Maybe it will be warm in the Bahamas. ;p

We're also on Grandeur - we got off to go to the grocery store because I ran out of hair spray and they didn't have any on the ship. Wasn't that awful walking around and the city did look beautiful with a cover of white.

Last night it was rocky enough that I had a bit of trouble sleeping, but it wasn't horrible.