Sprint users and cruising the Caribbean, some advice needed..........

LongHill44

We have Sprint, we plan on at least getting the social wi-fi plan on our ship when we cruise to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

What have you requested from Sprint to ensure you either don't get killed with a nasty bill or pay extra to be allowed to use your phone more freely for calls, texts and internet?

Is there anything that Spring can offer that will overcome the poor wi-fi service the Carnival ships are known for?

We want to use our phones to post on social media and text those at home.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

There is nothing Sprint can help you with for phone calls, texting, nor data while on board. Like all carriers they are held hostage to the satellite roaming rates WMS (aka CellularAtSea the only "cellular" carrier out at sea) charges. Last time I looked (Dec30th'17) the per minute charge for satellite use was $0.50/ outgoing text, $0.05/ incoming text, $2.49/ minute for voice, and data charges at $20 per any portion of a MG per session. These fees are on top of any usage and/or roaming charges as dictated by you current contract.

As for in port, except HMC (no towers), Spirit might have vacation or travel agreement with the companies that service these islands and include an international bundle to match you current service. You would need to speak directly with customer service rep about these temporary contracts, making sure you stress that you are on a cruise and will only be in these ports for 1 day.

Be sure to put your phone into airplane mode and then turn on the wifi IF you are buying the plan from Carnival otherwise you will have a huge bill.

Not sure where you are going but some ports have free wifi available. BE SURE TO STAY IN AIRPLANE MODE.

Have a safe trip.

Do just what jay49307 suggest. KEEP THAT PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE! You will be hit with an awfully high bill if you don’t! You can purchase the ships WiFi plan and use your phone only for that, and taking photos. Personally, I just totally unplug when on a cruise, and use my phone only to take pics. The world will be waiting for me when I return home. Not to mention a warning worth stating: when you post vacation pics while away, you leave your home vulnerable to robbery. And never post that you are heading out on a vacation before leaving, either. I never post any vacation pics until I return home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Switch carriers or wait until a possible merge, LOL. T-Mobile has great affordable service plans that include 140+ countries with data/texting included. It works just fine from HMC as they do have cell service.

Switch carriers or wait until a possible merge, LOL. T-Mobile has great affordable service plans that include 140+ countries with data/texting included. It works just fine from HMC as they do have cell service.

But you still can’t use it on the ship, because all plans will bounce off their satellite and run up,your charges. You will only be able to use it on the islands.

We have Sprint, we plan on at least getting the social wi-fi plan on our ship when we cruise to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

What have you requested from Sprint to ensure you either don't get killed with a nasty bill or pay extra to be allowed to use your phone more freely for calls, texts and internet?

Is there anything that Spring can offer that will overcome the poor wi-fi service the Carnival ships are known for?

We want to use our phones to post on social media and text those at home.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Haven’t you asked about this before (like 2 different threads).

As there are no cell towers in the ocean, using your cell phone at sea will result in an excessive bill waiting for you when you return home.

Sprint can explain to you if they have any international packages that will cover the ports you are visiting.

As explained previously and again in this thread, put your phones in Airplane Mode or remove the SIM cards to guarantee no big charges while sailing.

Haven’t you asked about this before (like 2 different threads).

As there are no cell towers in the ocean, using your cell phone at sea will result in an excessive bill waiting for you when you return home.

Sprint can explain to you if they have any international packages that will cover the ports you are visiting.

As explained previously and again in this thread, put your phones in Airplane Mode or remove the SIM cards to guarantee no big charges while sailing.

Yes I have Lizzy and I plan to ask a few more times before I leave on the cruise. I have received some great ideas and tips from people on all the threads and I was hoping to cacth someone just off a trip.

But thanks for stalking me...……...

Yes I have Lizzy and I plan to ask a few more times before I leave on the cruise. I have received some great ideas and tips from people on all the threads and I was hoping to cacth someone just off a trip.

But thanks for stalking me...……...

Honestly, I don't believe the answers will change regardless of how many times you ask.

Honestly, I don't believe the answers will change regardless of how many times you ask.

It's also inconsiderate to keep asking the same questions just to disregard the answers people take their time to respond to this overly-inquisitive poster. All for the sake of FB too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have Sprint as my cell service provider. You are able to text and use data at no extra charge AT THE PORTS (off the ship) you are visiting. Calls will cost you extra through Sprint. I used my phone at the same ports you’ve mentioned and (although I was concerned) did not incur any extra charges. The data that Sprint provides at no charge is 2G and it is sssssslowwwwwww. If you are trying to post pictures or even text pictures, it takes forever. Try to find free WiFi while in ports. Even then, if there are a lot of people trying to use the WiFi, it too is very slow. Sprint does offer a plan that you can use while in ports (not on the ship). Last summer, when I contacted Sprint, I believe the package for international calling was $25 a week (I may be mistaken as I opted not to get it). Like others have said, keep your phone in airplane mode while on the ship, but once you are on land at the ports, you can take it out of airplane mode.

It's also inconsiderate to keep asking the same questions just to disregard the answers people take their time to respond to this overly-inquisitive poster. All for the sake of FB too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same questions? This is a Carnival message board generated to, ask questions. If you look at the board, there are hundreds of repeated questions, some people are asking the same question in 4-5 threads at the same time.

It's pretty simple, people ask questions, if you don't have an answer to help them or you feel the question is asked too much, don't click on the thread, and clearly, do not respond to the thread without anything to offer for the post that others are reading for help...…

Just for the record, I received more helpful info in this thread than the others...……..

Thank you. WOW:rolleyes:

I have Sprint as my cell service provider. You are able to text and use data at no extra charge AT THE PORTS (off the ship) you are visiting. Calls will cost you extra through Sprint. I used my phone at the same ports you’ve mentioned and (although I was concerned) did not incur any extra charges. The data that Sprint provides at no charge is 2G and it is sssssslowwwwwww. If you are trying to post pictures or even text pictures, it takes forever. Try to find free WiFi while in ports. Even then, if there are a lot of people trying to use the WiFi, it too is very slow. Sprint does offer a plan that you can use while in ports (not on the ship). Last summer, when I contacted Sprint, I believe the package for international calling was $25 a week (I may be mistaken as I opted not to get it). Like others have said, keep your phone in airplane mode while on the ship, but once you are on land at the ports, you can take it out of airplane mode.

Great info.

So when I am in a port where free wifi is offered, do I need to take my phone off of airplane mode or should airplane mode always be on until we return to the States?

Great info.

So when I am in a port where free wifi is offered, do I need to take my phone off of airplane mode or should airplane mode always be on until we return to the States?

You'll get 3g speed in Grand Turk, I got slow reception/connectivity in Hafl Moon Cay, and 3g in Freeport in the past. Was able to text and go on FB during my Pride/NYC sailings. But feel free to ask these same questions in a week or 2.

We sail at lot and alway get the WiFi package. We have Sprint as our provider. When on the ship we put our iPhone in airplane mode and connect to the ships WiFi and after a minute or to we we see sprint WiFi on the screen, we can text and call just like at home. This works with any WiFi connection. You have to turn on this service on your phone. Not all have this capability.

We sail at lot and alway get the WiFi package. We have Sprint as our provider. When on the ship we put our iPhone in airplane mode and connect to the ships WiFi and after a minute or to we we see sprint WiFi on the screen, we can text and call just like at home. This works with any WiFi connection. You have to turn on this service on your phone. Not all have this capability.

So if I am connected to the wifi in airplane mode, I can text and call those at home? Is there an extra charge for this, like 50 cents a text and so on?

We have three iPhone 7's and an iPhone 8

So if I am connected to the wifi in airplane mode, I can text and call those at home? Is there an extra charge for this, like 50 cents a text and so on?

We have three iPhone 7's and an iPhone 8[/

It depends on what is included in your plan from your provider. Our plan is unlimited phone and text. No additional charge.

Which WiFi package are you referring to? The ship’s premium internet package or a different one? And just to confirm, you can make calls from the ship without additional charge when connected to the ship’s WiFi?

Great info.

You can take your phone off airplane mode while in port while you are off the ship. Voice calls are not included in the free roaming. It is just just text and data.

You can take your phone off airplane mode while in port while you are off the ship. Voice calls are not included in the free roaming. It is just just text and data.

When in port where WiFi is free (Diamonds International) we leave the phone in airplane mode and use Sprint WiFi and the calls are free .

We have three iPhone 7's and an iPhone 8[/

It depends on what is included in your plan from your provider. Our plan is unlimited phone and text. No additional charge.

On land, AT&T has the same kind of international calling plans. They do not work at sea

• 1 month later...

Sprint’s website says that with their free InternationalPlan, all incoming and outgoing texts are free and phone calls are .20 cents per minute in the areas they offer. Thisis true when you click on Sprint’s link for areas of service for free texting:

Grand Turks and Caicos(Grand Turk appears to be included in this area)

Freeport, Bahamas

Half Moon Cay/Little San Salvador did not pop up ontheir site as covered under their International Plan, but islands nearby in the Bahamas are.

Sprint has the Carnival Pride itself at $2.50 per call and .50 cents per text.

Wehave unlimited data at home. My big question here is, even though Sprint issaying texting is free through their International Plan at those ports and .50 cents a text on Carnival Pride, will we still be charged to use the ship’s satellite while at sea or at Half Moon Cay since there will be no land cell towers nearby?

How does that work?

And for those who want to say that I had asked thisquestion or hundreds others have asked this question before, this is the firsttime Sprint has confirmed their text is free on the Carnival Pride, HOWEVER, itis not mentioned anywhere if I will be charged to use Carnival’s satellite while at sea.

THANK YOU!

Edited by LongHill44

Went through this before when I had Sprint.

Sprint considers ships "countries" and they are not included in the free global roaming, as you know (just clarifying for others who may read this thread).

There is terrestrial cellular coverage from BTC on Half Moon Cay, you can see the tower from the ship when you tender onto the island. So, you will be able to enjoy free texting and data while on the island!