Question about government tax

cruisue

We've taken several cruises and the price added on for govenment tax varied from cruise to cruise. Does anyone know what this is based on? We have paid from only $4.75 on Norwegian to $53.22 on Holland.

Each port charges a fee to the cruiseline for docking/visiting. I imagine the rates should be similar for cruiseline to cruiseline at the same port, although ship size may enter the formula.

I know the Coral and Island Princess pay the highest "toll" for their Panama Canal trips (like $225K each trip) of any ship that enters the canal (passenger or freight) due to their sizes.

• 12 years later...
We've taken several cruises and the price added on for govenment tax varied from cruise to cruise. Does anyone know what this is based on? We have paid from only $4.75 on Norwegian to $53.22 on Holland.

Keep the invoice and next time you are working in that country lodge a tax return :rolleyes:

Trouble

It could depend on a number of things - ports of call, size of ship, number of passengers, length of stay in port, season, etc. But it is not something assessed or controlled by the cruise lines and is entirely based on the local government at the individual ports of call.

The last two posts are quoting the OP's question, asked twelve YEARS ago!! :eek:

Where on earth do folks find these ancient threads?? :confused:

Probably doing what others suggest almost daily, using the search function.

only six or (sex) for our Allblack friends , reply to some thing so important , death and taxes . If it was about Diamond Club or To Tip Or Not Too ,wow it's not a sale but we got your money there would be more input:rolleyes:

trouble

only six or (sex) for our Allblack friends , reply to some thing so important , death and taxes . If it was about Diamond Club or To Tip Or Not Too ,wow it's not a sale but we got your money there would be more input

trouble

Excellent point but for most of us Yanks you ought to explain the "Allblacks" bit because some won't understand the reference and might misconstrue it as dare I say, "racial". Not much Rugby following up here.

Edited by Sequim88

only six or (sex) for our Allblack friends , reply to some thing so important , death and taxes . If it was about Diamond Club or To Tip Or Not Too ,wow it's not a sale but we got your money there would be more input:rolleyes:

trouble

Excellent point but for most of us Yanks you ought to explain the "Allblacks" bit because some won't understand the reference and might misconstrue it as dare I say, "racial". Not much Rugby following up here.

The reference to the All-Blacks (New Zealand Rugby team) was the only part of the post that I understood :D

JB :)

Ah, yes - rugby metaphors: that's what we need to clarify positions concerning cruising.

NBT, why are you always so critical of rugby. It's a fine sport that keeps kids off the streets.. If you have had a nasty run in with rugby players in the past then I apologize.. happy cruising