Dan, those who've done BOTH Crystal & Regent

JunPOA

I'ved been on all the luxury lines, and here is what I suggest..

If you want a larger ship with refined service, choose Crystal (semi-inclusive). If you want a laid back luxury experience, choose Regent (all-inclusive). If you want a smaller ship experience with fine service and nice balconies, choose Silversea (all-inclusive). If you want a large yacht-like experience with the finest food and service on the seas, choose Seabourn (all-inclusive). If you want to cruise in the finest style on true yachts with wonderful service and food, choose SeaDream. Keep in mind, Seadream and Seabourn can call on ports large ships simply can't.

I hope this helps!

Host Dan

Hi Dan, Came across your quote as we too are celebrating a delayed 30th weeding anniversary and ISO a Med. cruise Fall 2009. Based on your info above - it seems some of Regent meets our needs e.g. "laid back" while some of Crystal is a beter fit e.g does not need to be alcohol inclusive.The only draw-backs on Crystals (from what I've read) are that gratuities are extra (less important), more important is the issues of required formal attire for evenings:eek: . The last thing my husband is going to want to do on vacation is put on a suit FORGET about a Tux. He feels its his vacation which translates into vacation from proper formal /business attire. I feel similarly although not with as much passion. We don't really drink - so the appeal of inclusive alcohol is NOT an enticement. Here's the dilemma - when I do the Math based on cost pp/day cruise only for a Balcony cabin.

Regent=638/day

Crystal=537/day

HAL= 486/day (I know NOT considered in the luxury category but one we are considering)

I was surprise actually that HAL's pricing was so close to Crytal's considering they are NOT in the same level of luxury category.

Is it possible for someone to still ennjoy and feel comfortable on a Crystal cruise - if we have to be quarantined to our cabin/balcony after 6pm in the evening because we boycott dressing up on formal evenings). We do tend to spend ALL day in port (1st ports, 2nd price, 3rd pampering/customer service ) drive our selection) drive our With high activity excursions in port, once we return to ship - its pretty much eat then sleep.:o

We're usualy too exhaused to be interested in the evening entertainment/shows but for sea days the Crystal lecture /enrnichment series could be appealing.

We both work long hours - so its not that we're antisocial - but we want to be able to focus on enjoying each other's company (its our anniversary) rather than mingling with other pasengers - NOT intended to sound snobby:)

Any suggestions?

PS In case you cannot already infer - we don't need BINGO !:D

leah, RN

Even though you are leaning towards Crystal, I'd think you would be much better suited for Regent. Crystal attracts a more elegant (formal), well-traveled, and sometimes more of an older generation cruiser, wheras Regent is more country club casual of a feel. If your husband chose not to wear a suit in the evening (when required) you may get some very uncomfortable stares.

Its your 30th anniversary. 2 things- A. You are probably in your 50's? If so, you will be among more of your own demographic. B. Regent is $100 more per day, so what? This is a special anniversary for you guys, treat yourself! (I bet you deserve it!)

On the flip side, if you decide to go on Crystal, don't sweat the tipping issue, a large amount of TA's pay it on your behalf in advance.

HAL??? Heres my take on HAL (Have sailed 5 or 6 times with them).. You can get a beautiful suite on the ship, but once you open the door, you are among the masses. Its not worth it, if you are looking for a true once in a lifetime cruise.

Unless you have to, don't let the difference in money sway your decision. You only live once you know. (Or maybe more than once, but will only REMEMBER this one, this time! LOL)

Host Dan

PS Did you look into SeaDream Yacht Club???

Host Dan

PS Did you look into SeaDream Yacht Club???

Thanks Dan - sounds like good advice-can't be bothered with "uncomfortable stares".:rolleyes:

I thnk the laid back atmosphere of the PG '03 (our 25th) was what sold DH on cruising period - there's nothing more romantic than renewing your vows on the PG Polynesian style.

No I had not considered Sea Dream- I didn't think they had balconies - do they?

Once - you've moved up to balconies, PHs & OSs - there's no turning back. We love the luxury and privacy of sitting on our own balcony (spoiled).:o

I agree with Dan on this. To be honest, I'm quite surprised by the price difference between Regent and Crystal. I didn't know Regent had gone so high above Crystal in their pricing. My two experiences on Regent weren't all that great, hence my choices in the luxury market are Seabourn and Crystal.

To the OP, yes, Crystal is probably the most formal of all the cruise lines out there. And yes, you probably would feel very uncomfortable with your DH not wearing a suit and you a formal outfit. And that's really rather sad because the dining experience on Crystal is sublime and their service is beyond what you'd get elsewhere. There's a reason why Crystal has been awarded the top prizes in the most popular travel publications. Regent also has formal nights, so unless you go with Sea Dream, you're still going to find the formal dress codes, even on HAL. While I know that your DH is adamantly against the dressing up, could you perhaps persuade him into a sport jacket, tie and dress slacks? Just for dinner? You said you weren't interested in the evening entertainment, so this would just be for a couple of hours on two nights. Then, you could retire to your cabin or just sit out on deck and enjoy each other's company. I would hate for you to miss out on what could be a wonderful dining experience on Crystal.

And again, I agree with Dan when he says that once you're out of your cabin on HAL, it's still nothing more than a mass market experience. For your wonderful anniversary, you deserve much more.

Hi Kitty - Great perspective - that's whats so great about 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions etc! It allows me to see another perspective and think outside of my own box.:o RE: Crystal - If it were only for 2 nights - I think I could coerce or manipulate him into dress slacks and a sports coat - as long as we we don't risk those "looks".:rolleyes: Heart of my hearts I know I really would prefer Regent - I've heard raves about their spaciious cabins BUT is it worth the extra $100pp/day for a 10 day cruise-that's an extra 2,000.00 (I think). We have 2 daughters starting grad school in Sept. '08 so - we have to start watching the purse more carefully - every dollar counts these days.

Dan-This is not meant to minimize the importance of "what $ value" we place on our anniversary - just trying to stay practical & grounded.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 14593515" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2>Dan-This is not meant to minimize the importance of "what $ value" we place on our anniversary - just trying to stay practical & grounded.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 05:38 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fair Enough! You are right, SeaDream Yachts are quite small and can't offer the larger suites and the balconies..

As dar as the extra $2000... Aren't you and your husband getting $1200 back in tax rebates this year? You would be going on your dream cruise AND stimulating the economy... You would be doing your country proud!! LOL :eek: :D

Host Dan

Most (working) folks that can afford a luxury cruise won't be getting a "rebate" :eek: It phases out quite quickly with income:

Phase Out: The stimulus payment –– both the basic component and the additional funds for qualifying children –– begins to phase out for individuals with adjusted gross incomes (AGI) over $75,000 and married couples who file a joint return with AGI over $150,000. The combined payment is reduced by 5 percent of the income above the AGI thresholds.

Here are two examples of how the phase out works:

• An individual with AGI of $80,000 and federal income tax liability in excess of $600 would qualify for a basic rebate of $600. Because this individual’s AGI exceeds $75,000, however, her rebate is reduced by $250 (the credit is reduced by multiplying the amount of AGI over $75,000 by 5%). The taxpayer receives an economic stimulus payment of $350.
  • A married couple with two children, AGI of $160,000 and federal income tax liability before the child tax credit exceeding $1,200 qualifies for a basic rebate of $1,200 and an additional qualifying child credit of $600 for a total rebate of $1,800. But because the couple’s AGI exceeds $150,000, their rebate is reduced by $500 (the amount of AGI over $150,000 multiplied by 5%). The couple receives an economic stimulus payment of $1,300.

Use the Economic Stimulus Payment Calculator to determine your eligibility and estimate the amount of your payment.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 14593515" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2>Dan-This is not meant to minimize the importance of "what $ value" we place on our anniversary - just trying to stay practical & grounded.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 05:38 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fair Enough! You are right, SeaDream Yachts are quite small and can't offer the larger suites and the balconies..

As dar as the extra $2000... Aren't you and your husband getting $1200 back in tax rebates this year? You would be going on your dream cruise AND stimulating the economy... You would be doing your country proud!! LOL :eek: :D

Host Dan

(LOL) !:rolleyes: Tax Rebates - what's that -Oh that we wish- uhm that's a BIG NO - we're getting nothing. You can draw your own conclusions from that (LOL).:p Gee- we can spend the $2000 in saving on a few filll-ups - ya think?:rolleyes:

BTW Dan - "What's for dinner tonight?"

Thanks for the link to the Economic Stimulus Payment Calculator. I got some good news (but I won't say whether the good news was I'm getting a rebate or that I'm making enough that I'm not eligible for one ;) ). I agree that people do dress up on Crystal (at night; day time clothes are very casual); one would probably feel uncomfortable by dressing too casually. (However, one cruiser did wear tie-dyed sweat pants and shirt on formal night--I assumed he had lost his luggage, but others were not so sure. He seemed perfectly comfortable and it was fine with me.)

• 4 weeks later...

we tend to be laid back and casual. No problem about owning the clothes--and my husband was in politics so we have lots of tuxedos. However, we too feel more comfortable casual. Here is what we do at Crystal--we eat at the alternate diningroom. It is informal--up on one of the upper decks. They have about 5 choices. We love the staff and we don't have to go down in the "jungle". We can eat when we want to eat. They customarily close that diningroom the night before debarkation, so we eat in the regular dining room that night. We have never had "odd looks" or maybe we just have not noticed them.

We did cruise Regent. Personally I think I was put off because I am allergic to Star Gazers and they had them all over the ship, so I lived in hell for about 12 days! A personal thing. But we had the large suite and it had a shower like a rocketship--round, in the middle of the bathroom. It leaked and my husband didn't fit in it! I think those two things put me off.

We are not big drinkers, so the cost of drinks wasn't an issue and as per one of the other posters, the TA paid the tips.

Personally I felt the crew was more friendly in Crystal. The head waiter even called to ask where we were when we didn't show up in the main diningroom. That was a nice touch.

I guess my pick is Crystal. Sometimes, though, you have to go with the itinerary.

Host Dan,

With your permission, I would like to use the term "country club casual," that phrase says a lot and would save me a whole paragraph.:D

By the way, great description of the difference of the two lines.

• 2 months later...
....a Star Gazer?

LOL that's a great question - maybe the poster will reply or we can start a new thread hoping someone else is familiar with the term.:D

I'm speculating & guessing - maybe a "stargazer" is a - dare I say the word, "smoker" one who puffs and inhales while gazing up at the stars.

Wadya think?

leah, RN:D

Those are Star Gazer Lilies. I'm allergic to those also, and if they are in a flower arrangement, my allergies go insane.

FYI, the casual dining area on Crystal, Tastes or Trident, is NOT open on formal nights, and the other two alternate restaurants on Crystal, Prego and Silk Road follow the dress codes of the main dining room. If you wish to dine casually on formal nights your choice is room service, but the public rooms on Crystal also strongly suggest staying in the code of the evening for the entire evening. You will not find your fellow passengers changing to casual clothes after dinner, unless they plan on sitting out on deck and forgoing the evening entertainment.

Those are Star Gazer Lilies. I'm allergic to those also, and if they are in a flower arrangement, my allergies go insane.quote]

kitty9 -so funny - :o I should've got that - it would've helped if poster had put lilies after star gazer - I LUV star gazer lilies but admit they do have quite a potent fragrance. DH is allergic to the large yellow &/or orange lilies - and hates the smell of stargazers too.

leah, RN

• 1 month later...
Those are Star Gazer Lilies. I'm allergic to those also, and if they are in a flower arrangement, my allergies go insane.quote]

kitty9 -so funny - :o I should've got that - it would've helped if poster had put lilies after star gazer - I LUV star gazer lilies but admit they do have quite a potent fragrance. DH is allergic to the large yellow &/or orange lilies - and hates the smell of stargazers too.

leah, RN

JunPOA....I truly liked YOUR definition of star gazer better than Kitty's. :p

• 3 months later...

JunPOA:

Oceania Cruises will have a couple of ships in the Med in the Fall. They are intimate, elegant ships (ex Renaissance) with a "Country Casual" Dress Code, as opposed to "Formal" and "Casual" nights. They attract a wide age-range, but do not cater for children. In my experience, their food is better than Crystal. They carry some staterooms with teak verandahs.

JunPOA....I truly liked YOUR definition of star gazer better than Kitty's. :p

Glad you enjoyed it - the funny thing is I guess I was really and truely either naive or just plain "dumb", as I said I had never heard star gazer used alone without the "lily" part. Can you just envision what I had envisioned a stargazer to be before it was qualified?! Thought it was some new trendy word.:p

JunPOA:

Oceania Cruises will have a couple of ships in the Med in the Fall. They are intimate, elegant ships (ex Renaissance) with a "Country Casual" Dress Code, as opposed to "Formal" and "Casual" nights. They attract a wide age-range, but do not cater for children. In my experience, their food is better than Crystal. They carry some staterooms with teak verandahs.

Ancient...thanks for the recommendation. Oceana was my 2nd runner - up before I finally decided on a Seabourne B2B this Fall - Odyssey SEPT 26th followed by Spirit Oct. 3rd we are SB newbies so we'll see how it goes! Bang for $$ Oceana is probbaly the better deal though - just speculating.

Thanks again!

leah

• 3 weeks later...
Personally I think I was put off because I am allergic to Star Gazers and they had them all over the ship, so I lived in hell for about 12 days!

Leah, I hope you have a wonderful anniversary cruise. DH and I just celebrated our 25th on Celebrity and it was not all that we had hoped. We've booked on Oceania for next year and sincerely hope to be able to try the other luxury lines...eventually, when we're done paying darling son's college tuition.

Re: the quote above...ummm, I didn't get lilies either...or smokers. I figured Caroldoll and her husband were famous and people were staring at them the whole time. *Laughing*

Hi flufflies Congrats on your 25th!:)

Are you also looking at the Med. as your destination?

BTW - you may want to check out Seabourne's rates - they really have become more affordable AND I've read on multiple sites that they are rolling out yet another price reduction on FEB 9th - check out SB's website this week or sign up for the email announcements. I love the intimacy of smaller ships and tobe on a new small ship (yacht) is even more tempting! Can't wait to see photos of the new Odyssey. The other appppealing thing (IMHO) is that SB's dress policies is now becoming more casual in attire that's always a good thing for us!

Congrats again on your anniversary!

leah, RN

• 2 months later...

For anyone considering a future cruise on Crystal but is put off thinking all the nights are formal.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but check the Crystal website for your possible cruise and see how many sea days and port days there are. That is how they determine formal nights or casual nights. For example, our 12 night cruise in August has two formal nights, one informal night, and nine casual nights. If you cannot tell, post on the Crystal board of cruise critic and perhaps someone is on your cruise and knows or contact the on board guest services office in LA at 1-800-446-6620.

For anyone considering a future cruise on Crystal but is put off thinking all the nights are formal.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but check the Crystal website for your possible cruise and see how many sea days and port days there are. That is how they determine formal nights or casual nights. For example, our 12 night cruise in August has two formal nights, one informal night, and nine casual nights. If you cannot tell, post on the Crystal board of cruise critic and perhaps someone is on your cruise and knows or contact the on board guest services office in LA at 1-800-446-6620.

We would really love to do the Los Angeles to Sydney itinerary, followed by the Sydney to Auckland leg, but I gather from what you say (and what I would guess) that the first leg, being made up of nearly all sea days, will have mostly formal and informal nights, and we would prefer somewhat fewer of them. My husband has to wear a tie every day for business (no early retirement or golden handshake for him) and would not like to wear formal wear as frequently as I suspect might be required on a cruise with many sea days. Frankly, neither would I.

Maybe someone who has done a crossing on Crystal could weigh in with their best guess of how many of the at sea nights are formal, how many of the at sea nights are informal and how many of the at sea nights are elegant casual.

We want to avoid buffets and in-stateroom dining unless we are actually booked into a suite with butler service, which in our case means not before we have earned our birthday certificates! :) :D :)

We would really love to do the Los Angeles to Sydney itinerary, followed by the Sydney to Auckland leg, but I gather from what you say (and what I would guess) that the first leg, being made up of nearly all sea days, will have mostly formal and informal nights, and we would prefer somewhat fewer of them. My husband has to wear a tie every day for business (no early retirement or golden handshake for him) and would not like to wear formal wear as frequently as I suspect might be required on a cruise with many sea days. Frankly, neither would I.

Maybe someone who has done a crossing on Crystal could weigh in with their best guess of how many of the at sea nights are formal, how many of the at sea nights are informal and how many of the at sea nights are elegant casual.

We want to avoid buffets and in-stateroom dining unless we are actually booked into a suite with butler service, which in our case means not before we have earned our birthday certificates! :) :D :)

Actually, our recent crossing had quite a few casual nights.

We just recently took the crossing on the Symphony from Los Angeles to Hong Kong. Seventeen days with only one stop in Honolulu. Breakout was 4 formals, 3 informals and 10 casual nights.

I think it is reasonable to expect that the Los Angleles to Sydney voyage would have a similar split of formal/informal/casual as we had on our cruise as they are the same length and have a very similar split of sea vs. port days. I realize that the Sydney cruise has one more port day.

I would suspect that the Sydney to Auckland would have six to seven casual nights with the remaining evenings being formal/informal nights.

If the recommended reconfiguration of the Lido Deck is approved for this Fall's Dry Dock of the Symphony it is anticipated that similar to what is available on the Serenity that there would be a casual dining venue on this deck for evening dining. If so, it would not be used on Formal nights but it would provide an additional option for many of the other evenings, such as on most Informal nights.

Keith

Actually, our recent crossing had quite a few casual nights.

We just recently took the crossing on the Symphony from Los Angeles to Hong Kong. Seventeen days with only one stop in Honolulu. Breakout was 4 formals, 3 informals and 10 casual nights.

I think it is reasonable to expect that the Los Angleles to Sydney voyage would have a similar split of formal/informal/casual as we had on our cruise as they are the same length and have a very similar split of sea vs. port days. I realize that the Sydney cruise has one more port day.

I would suspect that the Sydney to Auckland would have six to seven casual nights with the remaining evenings being formal/informal nights.

If the recommended reconfiguration of the Lido Deck is approved for this Fall's Dry Dock of the Symphony it is anticipated that similar to what is available on the Serenity that there would be a casual dining venue on this deck for evening dining. If so, it would not be used on Formal nights but it would provide an additional option for many of the other evenings, such as on most Informal nights.

Keith

Sounds good, Keith. My husband will be pleased at the breakdown, and I am, too. It will help that for the informal nights if he chooses not to don a tie that Tastes (or similar) will be an option. We both love dining outdoors.

Do you think that the more southerly route of Los Angeles to Sydney will differ much in weather, wind, seas from what you experienced going to Hong Kong this year?

If you were to book a cabin for the Los Angeles to Sydney itinerary (yeah, I know you will be otherwise occupied, lucky dog :)), which would you choose, port or starboard, and why?

Archived