Rental cars in Italy. Why.....

Santyclaws

Hank, do you know if the Tom Tom or Garmin have the ZTL information programmed in, so they won't route you through the "no drive" areas?

Now that is a darn good question for which I have no answer. In fact, it never even occurred to me until I saw your post. The darn thing is that I would normally be looking for ZTL signs (or check a local map in advance) but when I use my Garmin I normally do not even pay attention to most signs. And than there is also the issue of daytime ZTL zones vs nighttime ZTL zones. But, if one is driving from the south (Positano) and drop the car at the Termini you would not enter any ZTL zone. Since Sominex's hotel is in the Piazza Navona area it would indeed be in the major ZTL zone. It is possible to get permission to drive in the ZTL zone, but it means contacting the hotel (usually the concierge) and asking them to make the proper arrangements with the police. For us, this would be more trouble than its worth and we would probably just drop near the Termini.

Hank

That's the EUR location.

Yes, you'd come north on the A1 and take the Roma Sud (Rome South) exit to A90, then exit onto SS 148. It won't be hard.

I'd strongly recommend purchasing the Touring Club Italiano maps for the areas you'll be driving in. Especially in Tuscany you'll need the close in view these maps provide.

From the EUR you can take a taxi (the rental car office can call one for you) into the city. The metro goes to the EUR but I imagine you'll have a fair amount of luggage for that long a trip and, in those circumstances, the metro isn't a wise option.

Thank you this was very helpful...

Som

You could also drop your car in a city in Tuscany that has a direct rail contection to Rome. We use AutoEurope as well. The Hertz office is about three blocks from the Florence train station but you need to be very careful with the zones in Florence. We usually pick up a car there and drive staightaway out of town. We did go in the 'zone' in Assisi in error late last Sept. but have never rec'd a ticket for it. Could be the camera was not functioning or blocked. You need to be careful in Tuscany. There are a number of photo radar traps. You will not know about them until the charges start showing up on your credit card. They have caution signs for these.

Hank

Now that is a darn good question for which I have no answer. In fact, it never even occurred to me until I saw your post. The darn thing is that I would normally be looking for ZTL signs (or check a local map in advance) but when I use my Garmin I normally do not even pay attention to most signs. And than there is also the issue of daytime ZTL zones vs nighttime ZTL zones. But, if one is driving from the south (Positano) and drop the car at the Termini you would not enter any ZTL zone. Since Sominex's hotel is in the Piazza Navona area it would indeed be in the major ZTL zone. It is possible to get permission to drive in the ZTL zone, but it means contacting the hotel (usually the concierge) and asking them to make the proper arrangements with the police. For us, this would be more trouble than its worth and we would probably just drop near the Termini.

Hank, do you know if there are ZTL zone throughout Italy...i.e. Como, Genoa, Tuscany, Sorrento etc? We're going to take a Bus from the Villa to Florence so won't be driving there or Rome as we'll drop the car off beforehand.

Thanks,

SOM

Hank[/quote.

Hank, do you know if there are ZTL zone throughout Italy...i.e. Como, Genoa, Tuscany, Sorrento etc? We're going to take a Bus from the Villa to Florence so won't be driving there or Rome as we'll drop the car off beforehand.

Thanks,

SOM

There is also a ZTL zone in the central part of Florence and a small ZTL in Pisa. In Florence we always stay at the Hotel David which is outside the ZTL area and can be easily accessed by car. Another reason we like this hotel is that they have free parking and the managment is very friendly and runs the place almost like a B&B. Regarding Pisa, we have driven there a couple of times and never found any ZTL signs. We also never got a ticket....but apparently the zone does exist. Here is a link to a good web site that will give you more info than you want to know about driving in Italy.

http://www.bella-toscana.com/traffic_violations_italy.htm

For us, the major problem with driving in Italy is their new-found love of speed cameras. We think the Italians realized they could copy France and England and try to make lots of money with cameras. Over the past few years we have seen those darn cameras multiplying....particularly on the main Autostrade. Some folks have found a nasty surprise on their credit card statements months after returning home when they get charged hundreds of dollars for speeding violations (this is done through the rental car companies).

Hank

There is also a ZTL zone in the central part of Florence and a small ZTL in Pisa. In Florence we always stay at the Hotel David which is outside the ZTL area and can be easily accessed by car. Another reason we like this hotel is that they have free parking and the managment is very friendly and runs the place almost like a B&B. Regarding Pisa, we have driven there a couple of times and never found any ZTL signs. We also never got a ticket....but apparently the zone does exist. Here is a link to a good web site that will give you more info than you want to know about driving in Italy.

http://www.bella-toscana.com/traffic_violations_italy.htm

For us, the major problem with driving in Italy is their new-found love of speed cameras. We think the Italians realized they could copy France and England and try to make lots of money with cameras. Over the past few years we have seen those darn cameras multiplying....particularly on the main Autostrade. Some folks have found a nasty surprise on their credit card statements months after returning home when they get charged hundreds of dollars for speeding violations (this is done through the rental car companies).

Hank

Hi Hank thank you again; this forum is amazing for all the information needed!!!

Jean

In the cities, its the traffic and parking and ZTL zones that can lead to expensive tickets later which is why you want to take public transport. In the countryside its a totally different ball game, a car can be a great asset. We rented a car for driving around Tuscany this last May, picked it up at FCO, dropped it off at P. Roma in Venice. It was great having a car there, gave us a lot of freedom to take our time in some towns, less in others, depending on what we wanted to see and do that day. I would not drive into Florence, Rome, Milan, Bologna or Naples. Driving into Venice was bad enough on a Friday of a three day weekend, the line to get into the parking garages was really bad. If we ever do something similar, we'd drop the car off further out from Venice and take the train the rest of the way into Venice proper.

We saw many interesting driving habits, our joke was that lane lines, stop signs, lights were all just suggestions. We saw very few accidents though. Looking at cars, there are appear to be quite a few fender bender bumps and scrapes, Naples probably had the most beat up cars. For the speed cameras, stay with locals if you can, if you see sudden braking, it means there is likely an active speed camera, they all speed up again as soon as they are past it. There are usually warning signs just in front of the speed cameras, but not always and not always with enough time to slow down and sometimes you se the warning sign but no speed camera box. We also saw some speed boxes that must not have had active cameras since everybody just zoomed past those too. We decided to slow down whenever we did see one, just in case.

• 1 month later...

Aloha:

Our cruise ends in Venice and we would like to do a few days in Rome after the cruise. Is it possible to drive from Venice to Rome? It looks like most of if is highway driving and passes some nice towns on the way. We don't intend on keeping the car in Rome so is there somewhere we could return the car and then taxi it to our hotel? Is it affordable to renta car in Italy or would we be better off taking the train or plane? Thanks much.

• 4 weeks later...
Aloha:

Our cruise ends in Venice and we would like to do a few days in Rome after the cruise. Is it possible to drive from Venice to Rome? It looks like most of if is highway driving and passes some nice towns on the way. We don't intend on keeping the car in Rome so is there somewhere we could return the car and then taxi it to our hotel? Is it affordable to renta car in Italy or would we be better off taking the train or plane? Thanks much.

Our same situation! We will be on the Crown Princess cruise ending May 27, 2010 and want to get back to Rome. I'll appreciate any help on this situation. Are there private drivers who would take us back to Rome and how costly would it be?

Our same situation! We will be on the Crown Princess cruise ending May 27, 2010 and want to get back to Rome. I'll appreciate any help on this situation. Are there private drivers who would take us back to Rome and how costly would it be?

A private car and driver from Venice to Rome would be extremely expensive. Much more reasonable to take the train; you'll still have a chance to see the scenery that way if you don't want to go the rental car route.

It is absolutely possible to drive from Venice to Rome (we have done this a few times) and it can be a wonderful journey since you can explore Tuscany, Umbria, and other regions depending on your route and time. As to cost, if you are renting for 3 or more days you can often get some great deals from the consolidatiors (discounters). We personally recommend checking both Kemwel and Autoeurope (actually sister companies) who usually offer discounted rentals from Hertz and Europcar (often with very low or zero deductables on collision). Keep in mind that gas is expensive and diesel cars are always cheaper for fuel in Europe. Also be aware that Italy is using more and more speed cameras on their main Autostrade (interstate-like roads) so you might want to watch your speed). As to the expense of rentals (I have posted this info previously) on our most recent visit to Italy (this past May) we paid about $615 for an 18 day rental (with zero deductable) which is only $34 a day (and it was from Hertz!). We got that particular rate through Kemwel. Personally, we do recommend using trains if you simply want to go from point A to point B and simply see a few cities. But if you want to truly experience Italy outside the major cities you need a car just like you do in the USA.

Hank

Personally, we do recommend using trains if you simply want to go from point A to point B and simply see a few cities. But if you want to truly experience Italy outside the major cities you need a car just like you do in the USA.

I completely agree with Hank on this. I've done a fair amount of driving in Italy and find it no more difficult than driving somewhere at home that I've never been, except for the added challenge of the signage being in Italian.

Regarding the cost, Hank got a GREAT rental fee there, that's a lot less than the norm, from my experience at least. Also, remember that most cars in Italy have standard transmission and if you require an automatic, that will probably increase the cost.

If the cost isn't prohibitive and you have the time, by all means drive if you want to. You can spend some of your planning time researching interesting places to stop along the way and great restaurants to try.

In May you'll have lots of hours of daylight to work with but, even so, you'll need to plan carefully as it is a fairly long drive (it's more than 300 miles and takes nearly six hours if you drive straight through, don't stop and don't get lost).

Living here - and driving here - I'd agree with what most posters have said. Avoid the big cities such as Naples, Florence, and Rome. Naples is by far the most difficult city we have ever driven in; almost led to a DIVORCE! Florence and Rome have many ZTL's. We live near the Vatican, so we're fortunate NOT to have to deal with the ZTL problem.

If you're coming into town on a Sunday, that's an easy day to drive... unfortunately, most of the Rental Car drop-off's are closed, or close at 1300. Check out your's for more options.

We ride a motorino primarily and although parking is far easier, you do have to be alert to the challenges of driving in Rome. Streets change names every three blocks or so- traffic signals and driving "rules" are optional. My last time in the States my wife had to tell me to quit "driving Italian!" Did not realize I was doing so until folks pulled up to a red light and yelled at me - LOL. Driving in Italy is... different - so prepare yourself.

You will need an IDP (International Driving Permit) to drive in Italy. It is the law. Some rental car vendors will ask. Others do not. But if you are stopped by the police (or have an accident), you'll certainly want one of these. In five years of driving here, I've only been asked twice... but glad I had one. For more info, CLICK HERE!

Get ALL the insurance coverage... Be assertive, be alert, and BE CAREFUL driving in Italy! Good Luck!

You will need an IDP (International Driving Permit) to drive in Italy. It is the law. Some rental car vendors will ask. Others do not. But if you are stopped by the police (or have an accident), you'll certainly want one of these.

Good point. I've never been asked for it by a rental company and I know people who figure if the rental company isn't insisting on it, why bother. Ron's given the reason why you should bother.

In the States, they are extremely easy to get at AAA offices. It costs less than $20 and takes about 15 minutes - then you walk out the door with it. At my local AAA office they even do the photographs (just like a passport photo) so it's one-stop shopping.

• 2 months later...

Hi

We're flying into the Florence airport, renting a car and then driving to a B&B south of Chianti (Castiglion Fiorentino). this will be our base for 3 days of exploring Tuscany before we head to Rome. Just north of Rome, we are staying in another B&B for 2 nights before leaving on a cruise. I need some advice on the transition from Tuscany to Rome.

On our last day of Tuscany touring, we want to go to Orvieto. Would it make sense then to continue driving south to Rome and dropping off the rental car there? We'd then need to take the commuter train back towards the B&B (Montebello Station). Or, if there is a rental car drop off location in Orvieto (which I haven't yet checked on) should we take a train from there to Rome and then back track again to Montebello. (Montebello is supposed to be only a 20 minute commuter train ride from Piazzale Flaminio Station in Rome.)

I'm also having difficulty finding any commuter train schedules/prices that cover this area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

On our last day of Tuscany touring, we want to go to Orvieto. Would it make sense then to continue driving south to Rome and dropping off the rental car there? We'd then need to take the commuter train back towards the B&B (Montebello Station). Or, if there is a rental car drop off location in Orvieto (which I haven't yet checked on) should we take a train from there to Rome and then back track again to Montebello. (Montebello is supposed to be only a 20 minute commuter train ride from Piazzale Flaminio Station in Rome.)

I'm also having difficulty finding any commuter train schedules/prices that cover this area.

Montebello is on the Roma-Viterbo urban railroad. You can see the system map here: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

What are you planning to do while staying in Montebello? It might be hard to do much at all without a car, you're a fair distance from Rome if your intention is to see Rome. If that's the case, why not stay in town?

I suppose you could see about a drop off point for the car in Viterbo and catch the train there.

Thanks for the link to the system map. That's really helpful!

The B&B we've booked near Montebello Station is called Flavor of Italy. They said it's only a 20 minute ride to/from Rome using the commuter train at this station. They'll drive us from the B&B to the station so we can give up our car for those last 2 days.

I'm totally unfamiliar with the area. Where is Viterbo?

thanks again for your help.

• 1 year later...
Equally important as the congestion and parking problems, the ZTL makes it illegal (and therefore, expensive) in many cases. The ZTL zone has been expanded over the past couple of years, so even a place you could drive to as recently as last summer may now be off limits for big portions of the week.

Sometimes a hotel can get a temporary pass for guests but I sure wouldn't count on it - if you're determined to drive in Rome, check first!

Are the ZTL zones clearly marked? We have been thinking about renting a car in Rome and driving from Rome to Munich and back to Rome. We have done a little research and it appears it would be quite expensive driving a car from Rome to Munich and back. With the cost of gas, tolls, and highway taxes and the stress of actually doing it, I would rather take a train or plane. My husband is the one who wants to drive it. I'd love some input from you and others who have driven in Italy and other parts of Europe. Any info is appreciated! :)

Are the ZTL zones clearly marked? We have been thinking about renting a car in Rome and driving from Rome to Munich and back to Rome. We have done a little research and it appears it would be quite expensive driving a car from Rome to Munich and back. With the cost of gas, tolls, and highway taxes and the stress of actually doing it, I would rather take a train or plane. My husband is the one who wants to drive it. I'd love some input from you and others who have driven in Italy and other parts of Europe. Any info is appreciated! :)

They are marked....at the beginning of the zone and only if you know where to look. The signs are not consistant.

You could always get the car at the airports and avoid the downtown area. Rome is a nightmare for traffic. Very slow and congested at best and a parking lot at worst. Most European cities are traffic problems. The cities and town are hundreds of years (or more) old and the roads and streets were built for people and donkey carts. Cars just don't fit well LOL. Cars are also small over there...and mostly standard shift. Automatics cost a lot. Also, your credt card may not cover insurances in Italy and insurance will ocst as much as the daily rental fee. I rented in Italy many times while on business and was some glad the company picked up the tab.

The highways in Europe are first class, no problems driving on them and, while I always recommend a train in Europe, properly planned, the drive would be very nice. Get a GPS with European maps.

They are marked....at the beginning of the zone and only if you know where to look. The signs are not consistant.

You could always get the car at the airports and avoid the downtown area. Rome is a nightmare for traffic. Very slow and congested at best and a parking lot at worst. Most European cities are traffic problems. The cities and town are hundreds of years (or more) old and the roads and streets were built for people and donkey carts. Cars just don't fit well LOL. Cars are also small over there...and mostly standard shift. Automatics cost a lot. Also, your credt card may not cover insurances in Italy and insurance will ocst as much as the daily rental fee. I rented in Italy many times while on business and was some glad the company picked up the tab.

The highways in Europe are first class, no problems driving on them and, while I always recommend a train in Europe, properly planned, the drive would be very nice. Get a GPS with European maps.

Thanks for your help! On one site my husband found it mentioned having to pay highway taxes. Is this done at the toll booths, or where? I can't remember the name of the site. (My husband isn't here now for me to ask him.) But this site gave an estimate of the cost between each of the cities we would be visiting....as to the toll cost, gas cost, and the highway taxes cost. ??

Thanks for your help! On one site my husband found it mentioned having to pay highway taxes. Is this done at the toll booths, or where? I can't remember the name of the site. (My husband isn't here now for me to ask him.) But this site gave an estimate of the cost between each of the cities we would be visiting....as to the toll cost, gas cost, and the highway taxes cost. ??

There are tolls on most Italian highways, the AutoStrada. There will also be tolls through some tunnels when going to Switzerland and Germany. The highway "taxes" will be part of your car rental fees. You could be dinged extra if you want to take the car out of the Country, you had better check that. You should try and get a deisel vehicle, while fues costs the same you will get a lot better mileage (the European diesel vehices are al ot better than the ones here, they are actually very good and you probablyy would not know or feel the difference between them and gas vehicels)

Like in the US, the cost is dependant on how far you drive on the toll road. Gas prices, well, they will vary quite a bit. Again,like inthe US, if you stop at a highway rest stop, the price will be higher. In towns, villages and cities, gas stations are not as visible as they are at home. They may just be a small cutout on the street with one pump and you have to pay attention to find them.

Plan on gas being at least about 6 dollars per gallon (1.50 euros per litre), probably a bit more though.

Here is a site that may give a bit of an idea http://www.travelmath.com/

We recently returned from vacation where we rented a car and drove for the first time in Italy. I posted this info on another thread yesterday, so I have copied it below:

Car Rental:

Auto Europe

http://www.autoeurope.com/

I researched everything online and then when I knew what I wanted, I called them. They were very helpful and assured me that they could get an automatic transmission sedan for me. (I haven't driven a stick shift since I was a teen, and I wasn't about to have a refresher course in Italy ;))

Going through AutoEurope was easy, fully covered insurance, good email communication, etc. Renting an automatic isn't cheap, I don't have my receipt here, but you can check prices on their website.They upgraded us to a beautiful, black, Mercedes. It was equipped with a GPS but the guy at the rental agency didn't really know how it worked, so I had to figure it out.

I did get an International Drivers Permit, but they never asked for it. You can get that at your local AAA office. It was $23. (15 for the IDP and 8 for the picture.)

You can read all about Driving in Italy on Slow Travel. There are some things to be careful of. There are places referred to as ZTL - Zona Traffico Limitado - where you are prohibited to drive unless you have a special permit. Those areas are typically in the city center. We did not have any problems in the Tuscan hill towns. Just be aware of them, don't enter or you will receive a ticket in the mail. Just park at the base of the town and walk up into the town.

I printed out the Traffic Signs and got familiar with them, purchased some good maps and researched.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/drivin...s_speeding.htm

Slow Travel website will also explain Parking - white or blue spaces, parking meter/tickets, etc.

Driving on the Autostrada was an adventure. Italians drive fast and tailgate. Going through the Toll Booth the first time was a bit scary, but there is an attendant who collects your euros.

I know it sounds difficult, but trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. :)

Autostrada website has good information:

http://www.autostrade.it/en/

If you use google maps for directions, they give you estimated costs, including tolls and local gas costs. These are not all that accurate, of course... but they will give you an idea as to whether is will be $20, $200 or $2,000.

Fun thread. We have never driven from Rome to Munich but have done more then our share of driving over much of this route. You are talking about approximately 600 miles of driving (each way) which can be done in about 9 hours (assuming you do not make frequent stops). Personally, we would love to do this drive since it does go through many parts of Italy that we love. In our opinion whether your drive should depend on the amount of time. If you can spare a few days (or even a week) for the drive then it can become a wonderful trip with many interesting stops enroute. If you just want to go between the two points as fast as possible then the train or air makes much more sense.

Regarding the ZTLs and signs, the signs that mark ZTLs are relatively small and can be missed. There is also the possibility that a sign on your route will be missing (that is no excuse and you will still be fined). It is wise to pull up a map of the ZTLs online (before your trip) and pay attention to the areas that must be avoided. If you do wander into a ZTL you will probably not be aware of any violation until weeks (or months) late when you discover a nasty charge added to your credit card statement. Most rental car companies also assess an additional "administrative" fee so a single violation can easly cost over 100 Euros.

Hank

Archived