LIVE from the Voyager

Travelcat2

Who is the chef teaching the Cordon Bleu class? I had promised a previous instructor that I would e-mail him photographs from our class, but lost the napkin that had his e-mail. Would you be able to find out who will be teaching the class on the Rio to Fort Lauderdale segment in December?

I am impressed that you can cope with the flight, time difference, going to class and a chocolate martini. Have fun!

Have a great cruise. You will need to make sure the ship is ready for me in 2 weeks!

RachelG,

Enjoy your next Voyager trip. If you learn anything more about vibrations in the stern C Suites let us know. My wife and I would enjoy talking with you when you return.

Host Dan - I look for Voyager info in this thread and all I see is inane email-like interaction between a small set of members. Can you urge them to take this offline and to use the thread for information passing?

Don't you dare! This is a live thread from CC members who are actually on board talking of their experiences and of people and and incidents good and bad happening to them. If it is done in a chatty way, all to the good. Keep posting, friends. I look forward to your posts.

I am overwhelmed with the response to this thread. It is quite late at night here, in the middle of the Atlantic. . . . Sometimes, I am just me. . . . Jackie. . . not the strong, sometimes confrontational Travelcat. I just left the theater and heard Ray Solaire, the CD on the Voyager. He was perhaps the most incredible performer that I have ever seen. Such a great and humble man! I feel blessed to have been part of this evening.

Okay -- enough mushy stuff. Le Cordon Bleu. . . . promise to post who the Le Cordon Bleu chef is in the next day or so. For now, be glad that you don't have to taste my food. I mistook some kind of oil for chicken stock. This is truly an amazing class. Once you view the chef preparing the dish, you go into the Signatures kitchen and attempt to prepare it. Then, you take your completed dish back to Prime 7 and dine on your "masterpiece". This occurs approximately an hour before dinner.

There is something about this ship and this environment that encompasses me. I will continue to post the good and the not so good. . . . .however, each experience on this ship (in particular) surpasses everything. My criticism is posted only to let Regent/Apollo know the areas where improvement is needed.

A friend of ours is on board (A Crystallized Crystal person) who believes that the only way to get the service we think we deserve is if we have tipping. I disagree but would gladly pay whatever is necessary to see an improvement in some areas.

Lastly. . . . . and, I need to get some sleep. . . ..`to Mike and Mary in California. . . . we have passed on all the good wishes and thanks to Abigail and Francesco (still have a few more to go). The service in Compass Rose this evening was wonderful.

Tomorrow we will be in Le Verdon, France (a totally boring town unless you travel 2+ hours to Bordeaux). Tonight I should sleep well after a wonderful day on the Regent Seven Seas Voyager.

Ta ta for now......

gfranzen, please consider the following. Jackie is taking time from her vacation to share her impressions with us. We are typing out short responses, short because she doesn't have time to read long ones, to encourage her. We want to read her impressions! Have you ever looked at world cruise blogs? Some folks who take 120-day world cruises post them for friends, family and well-wishers. They are often wonderful, fascinating personal narratives. And avid readers post notes of encouragement as well as questions and comments. It is all part of this wonderful internet commerce that wasn't possible ten years ago. So, please, chill out a bit. Don't read what you don't want to read. But lets encourage Jackie and others who go to the exceptional trouble to inform/enlighten/entertain us in the middle of their vacation. (I don't care for the bon voyage stuff posted either. But I just don't read it.) Pat

I am overwhelmed with the response to this thread. It is quite late at night here, in the middle of the Atlantic. . . . Sometimes, I am just me. . . . Jackie. . . not the strong, sometimes confrontational Travelcat. I feel blessed to have been part of this evening.

Thanks for a great and personal post from the heart and probably after a few chocolate martinis! Give your Crystal friends a big negative from me. When you get a smile from a Regent staff member, you know it is not because they are trying to get into your wallet, but because it is part of their service ethic.

Ray Solaire may remember an 82 year old Englishman with a wife, Barbara, in a small wheelchair on the Norwegian Fjords cruise. He spent some time talking with us on days when we found it difficult to go on tours.

I should know better than to write a long e-mail on board . . . . I lost the whole thing. So, let me begin again.

Having somewhat recovered from jetlag, my head is considerably clear today so I will do some comparisons of the Voyager last year compared with now.

As I mentioned (I think), the ship looks gorgeous. The faucets in our suite are new -- assuming this was done throughout the ship. I was a bit puzzled by the choice of a light shade of beige in public areas. This afternoon, I thought I was seeing things. . . . . the dark shaded spots that bothered me so much with the previous carpet (until someone explained it to me) has now happened with the new carpet. It looks like water stains/marks. The carpeting isn't dirty -- . . . . . those of you who have been on this ship probably know what I'm talking about.

In the e-mail I lost I wrote the Le Cordon Bleu chef's name that is giving the course. . . . I believe it is Giles Penot (will verify when I get upstairs)

and look again).

The attitude of the crew is considerably better than last year. They are joking with the passengers more and doing whatever they can to remember your name (or your drink). I walked into the Observation Lounge last night and was greeted "hello, may I make you a chocolate martini?". He then added "where is your husband. . . . I'll fix him a cosmo".

Someone asked about the vibration. As my daughter would say "it is what it is". The aft vibration is just part of the ship. We felt it the entire time we were in Prime 7 and at the starboard entrance to La Veranda (we have felt it in La Veranda on all three of our Voyager cruises). Our suite is low and mid-ship (725) -- no vibration whatsoever. I understand how tempting the Horizon "C" suites are. . . . and, our friends did just fine on their cruise. However, I could not recommend them without restating that there is a vibration -- whether or not it will bother you is a question.

In spite of our issues with La Veranda, we feel (at this point) that it has improved since last year in terms of service. It just isn't our favorite place to dine. We go there in the morning for a quick breakfast. . . . but, stay away from it the rest of the time. We absolutely Francisco and Amelia in Compass Rose (hope I got the names right). I need to stress again how incredible the crew on this are.

As I mentioned last night (I was too tired and under the influence of wine at the time), our CD, Ray Solaire, is amazing -- he is everywhere on the ship -- just a great man. Younger people may not enjoy him as much as the over 40 crowd, but he is a great addition to the ship. Last year, our CD was rather laid back -- not visible. . . . you get the idea.

Just a quick comment to the person who wrote about the non-Voyager chatter going on in this thread. Please understand that when you are thousands of miles from home, it really helps to read little snippets from posters back home. It is encouraging and makes me want to sit at the computer instead of taking the nap that I really must take soon. Thanks for understanding.

Still many things for me to try -- the ice cream on the pool deck for one. I really want to know if there are "only" 700 on this overbooked cruise or if they stuffed a few extra on board like they have on the Mariner. Speaking of the Mariner, some of my CC friends are on the last Alaska cruise of the season. . . . hope it's going well.

I absolutely Francisco and Amelia (hope I got the names right). I need to stress again how incredible the crew on this are.

Our port stop today in Le Verdon, France was much better than expected. We chose not to take the 8 hour tour into Bordeaux (this is a focus on food and wine cruise -- don't really need more wine on a long excursion). The nearby town was delightful.

Tonight we sail to Bilboa, Spain. We'll dine at Compass Rose for dinner (just had lunch there -- perfect service and delicious food).

While all of the Regent ships are lovely and we look forward to every cruise. There is something about the Voyager that makes it stand out above the rest. I guess we all have our favorites.

Once I apologize for typo's, etc. -- no time to check them. When I get back I may ask "poss" for writing lessons.

TC

TC,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your wonderful suite. We'll be right next door in December in 723, albeit in a lowly PHB! :p

Nice to hear that Le Verdon is nice in its own right, I was thinking about how you were missing the long ride up the estuary to Bordeaux, but sounds like it worked out well.

Following your CDB closely. Hope you get the ingredients right next time! Tell me, is Cornell helping out with the classes? He helped me out a few times last time. Boy, what a mess we made of that kitchen!

If you get a chance, ask Cornell how much longer he'll be on the ship--will he make the Discovery Collection??

Sorry if this is too much chatter.

Jackie, I agree 1000% on your comment that the wait staff will do whatever you want....with much emphasis on how difficult it is. I was on the Voyager (my fav also) 5 weeks ago, and when I asked for a Caesar salad, there was much sighing! Also, I was not as impressed with Prime 7 as I was hoping to be...I am a meat lover, had Prime Rib that looked beautiful, perfectly cooked, but utterly tasteless.

I think the ship looks great! I agree tan is a strange color for outside, but I love the new sitting areas.

As to vibrations, I have had Horizon 878 for my last 3 cruises and I would always book it! Personally, I do not notice the Vibrations unless there is a very rough sea, and even then, it is just what comes with rough seas.....so, as you said, everyone has there own tolerance of vibration.

Everyone, keep up the comments, and Jackie, keep up the posts. I am reliving my cruise through you.

TravelCat,

Sounds like you are having a WONDERFUL time. Yes, Abigail and Francisco have spoiled us. We prefer dining with them in Compass Rose over our " so so" meal in Prime 7. Like others have said, to our taste, the prime rib, although beautifully prepared, was tasteless, and the ceasar salad a real disappointment! Having said that, the crab legs are out of this world, and when we return, I will just avoid the "prime" beef!!! I agree with you on the breakfasts in la veranda.....breakfast just so so. We ate breakfast in Compass Rose every chance we got (of course, with Francisco's fabulous service at breakfast too......have you had the lamb chops?):p

Just finished dining in Compass Rose with Francisco and Abigail. No wonder he is so wonderful. . . . . he has been with Regent/Radisson since day 1 (started with the PG). Excellent food. The bread was a little bit stale, however, once you cut into a baguette, it becomes stale quickly. Don't see how Regent could improve on this.

A huge difference from last year in sanitation. The sanitation stations are much more visible that on previous cruises (and rightfully so). Cruise lines can not afford to have the flu being spread on their ships and are doing whatever they can to avoid it. They do have you fill out a health questionnaire. . . . but, IMO, people could lie about how they feel in order to get on board. Sad situation!

Wendy. . . . the Voyager suite is just a special upgrade that we agreed to for our 30th anniversary. On our November cruise, we'll be in the same general area as you are (and missing the 2nd bathroom). Will ask Chef Cornell on Friday how long he will remain on the Voyager. (Side note: he isn't only a nice man. . . . he is quite sexy:p)

I spoke with someone in the know this evening about how many people there currently are on the Voyager. We discussed the Mariner sailing with between 725 and 800 passengers this summer. This dismayed the person we spoke to. . . . . service cannot be good with so many people. As previously mentioned, this was an "over sold cruise". . . . very good incentives were offered to cancel. The reality is that there are less than 700 people on board -- thus insuring the Regent experience as it should be to all passengers. It should be noted that the Voyager will allow up to 720 (with children being the "extra" passengers).

I am being nicely talked to by my "Crystal" friend about expanding my horizons. . . . . she thinks I could be narrow minded. Okay -- that is possible. . . . . however, we are open to trying Seabourn and Silversea. . . . just not Crystal. . . . there is simply too many things that we find not to our liking (not the least of which are the passengers who think Crystal is perfect. Nothing is perfect. . . . . not even Regent).

LOVE@CRUISE -- no, we haven't tried the lamb chops this time. . . . just are not hungry at breakfast. My DH has an egg, beans, etc. (typical English breakfast) while I have a bagel and coffee. Had a wonderful sandwich in Compass Rose at lunch. . . . really yummy.

Oh -- in February, 2009, on the Navigator, we noticed a reduced menu. No "degaustation" (misspelled?) menu -- no selection of sandwiches made to order. This has been corrected -- everything is the way it was last year.

Orpington T: NO chocolate martini's today (one regular martini). . . . don't want to get mushy again.

Seriously, based on what we have read in recent months about Regent cruises, this is FAR exceeding our expectations. However, I do not want Regent to ignore the fact that "stuffing" (my words) the Mariner with 100-200 children at any time is not acceptable. Get a grip on reality.

On our way to Bilboa!:D:D:D

I walked into the Observation Lounge last night and was greeted "hello, may I make you a chocolate martini?". He then added "where is your husband. . . . I'll fix him a cosmo".

I absolutely Francisco and Amelia (hope I got the names right). I need to stress again how incredible the crew on this are.

TC

Thank you for being so thoughtful to post regularly --- it is invaluable and the way you are writing is delightful! I agree with all you have said, based on our recent Voyager voyage, and just want to add a suggestion --

Since you are a chocolate martini drinker you MUST have a Hot Chocolate Russian at the Coffee Connection. Trust me on this. Do not miss it!

Jackie, loving your posts! We're on the Mariner now....leaving Vancouver any minute now! Don't want to get off track (from your thread), but at the muster drill we learned there are 3 children on board. Oh, and one more thing, saw Lee and Michael in La Veranda! Keep the posts coming.:D

I'm a right to understand, as Orpington asked, that the degustation menu is back. not that I ever eat that much, but it was fun to look at!

Curious to see, but I doubt it. It was absent on Mariner in June and on Voyager in August. Also absent was the "Simplicity" menu (on the last page of the menu.) Not to worry . . . they just moved those items (Salmon any way you like, todays' flavor of steak any way you like, and today's flavor of pasta any way you like) to the first page of the menu. Still there, just no longer called 'Simplicity Menu"

I'm a right to understand, as Orpington asked, that the degustation menu is back. not that I ever eat that much, but it was fun to look at!

Oh you should have tried it. . . two bites of this, two bites of that. . .over two hours, not much food, just the right amount =) I have seen people posit that the portions were too small . . . .but then they didn't have enough courses =) Plus, I always enjoyed having the alternative choices to choose from (I'll have this from HERE and THAT from the degustation menu, and then THAT from over here, etc. =)

Greetings from Bilboa, Spain. Lovely weather.

A couple of more "comparisons". There was a question about a month ago regarding the stairs/ladder into the Mariner pool. I just looked at the Voyager pool. . . . there are two "normal" ladders into the pool and two stairs into the pool with railings to hold on to. Not 100% sure these are new. . . . however, they look like an addition.

Finally tried ice cream and pizza (not available last year). The staff at the ice cream station on the pool deck were fun -- I ended up with a chocolate cone. It was good -- nothing special -- just some good ice cream! The pizza, on the other hand was rather dried out. It sits under the heat lamp until people take it. It wasn't bad -- more like pizza jerky (if there was such a thing:confused:

There is now a staff member outside of La Veranda counting people and telling them about the specials. I noticed her this morning at breakfast and also at lunch. We now joke with her to see what # we are.

No matter how I look at La Veranda (breakfast and lunch only), I can't seem to get my head around it. It is good and not good. . . . the service is spotty. When it is good, it is very good. Other times it is non-existant. This has been our experience on all of our Regent cruises (you can substitute Portofino for our Navigator cruises -- same issues).

Regent has provided transportation to the center of town in both Le Verdon and Bilbao. This was really a help as it is a bit difficult to get transportation into town. Bilbao is an interesting city. Glad we saw it. . . . it would not be a destination we would particularly choose.......

Tomorrow is a sea day. Hope to be able to ask Chef Cornel about his schedule on the Voyager for the rest of 2009. Will try to fine Linette and Ley in La Veranda to send best wishes from "Mr. Josh". . . . and, will try a Hot Chocolate Russian at the Coffee Connection. If I am able to find Ray Solaire when he isn't busy, I'll see if he remembers you, OrpingtonT.

We decided to give Prime 7 another try. It wasn't fare to judge them when we just arrived from an overnight flight. I'm trying the Maine lobster tonight. Not sure what my DH will try.

Will report as time allows;)

I'm enjoying the updates, Jackie. Remember on my last Voyager @ Christmas when I was at The Restaurant and asked for the chicken from The Verandah. Was told by waiter he had to get head waiter. Head waiter and matre'd said no because of temperature. Someone on this board told me Regent got fined for serving food at the wrong temp by doing this, so maybe that is why shredded wheat is OK but not hot food. I ended up eating two bowls of soup that night as they would not give me simple chicken. It was not till I came home that I got a reason, and then I became much less sour about it.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I am glad you are having a good time. We love Voyager.

Will try to fine Linette and Ley in La Veranda to send best wishes from "Mr. Josh". . . . and, will try a Hot Chocolate Russian at the Coffee Connection. If I am able to find Ray Solaire when he isn't busy, I'll see if he remembers you, OrpingtonT.

We decided to give Prime 7 another try. It wasn't fare to judge them when we just arrived from an overnight flight. I'm trying the Maine lobster tonight. Not sure what my DH will try.

Lynette is also Head Waitress in Compass Rose in the evenings. Easy to spot, she is the only Indian Head Waitress. Her husband, Ian, was our butler and a fine imposing young man he is too.

We relied on Ian to get us extra bookings in Signatures and Prime 7, I guess you will do the same. Which reminds me, if you get a moment could you tell us staff names. Is it Capt Dag, for example, and who is the Social Hostess. Not important for us to know but interesting.

Enjoy your sea day tomorrow and then Lisbon? Lovely city. I remember crisp, cold white wine, sardines and salad on a scorching day.

Best wishes.

Archived