Rome hotel suggestions?

caribbeansun

Using the search function I've uncovered the following suggestions:

Intercontinental de la Ville

Hassler Hotel

Hotel Ponte Sisto

Albergo del Senato

Clearly my expectations were off with respect to the per night cost.

I can also use *wood points for either the Sheraton or Westin however they seem a fair bit removed from the historical sites we'd most likely wish to visit.

Any other suggestions?

Well, at the other end of the price spectrum, we spent five nights at the Hotel Smeraldo in June, where we had stayed several years ago as well. A superb location right by Campo di'Fiori and the Largo Argentina transportation hub, convenient for nightly strolls in Old Rome which I love and the lovely restaurants there (Pantheon, Campo, Piazza Navona, Jewish ghetto area). I found it for our first visit through the Rick Steves' Rome guidebook.

The rooms are basic, but very clean, and kept that way, the windows are very sound-proofed, shutting out any and all noise, the a/c is good, the bathrooms were renovated since our previous visit, and the price: 130 Euros per night plus 7 Euros per person for a copious breakfast buffet including all the cappucino and pastries you want. (I really like to stay under or around $200 per night for hotels when on a sightseeing rather than relax-type vacation because I only use the room to shower, change and sleep.)

The common areas are small, there is no special dedicated concierge desk, but when my husband needed medical care a few years ago, we where told were to go, and on this trip, all the restaurant reservations I requested were made for me, a good taxi to the airport was summoned and a good local map provided. If you need hand-holding for your sightseeing, the front desk simply is too busy for that, but the gentlemen there, like others when you are the traveler, respond to polite treatment.

I too agree that location is important when visiting the major cities of Europe.

Enjoy your trip!

We stayed in the Hotel Paba.....which was suggested as value hotel in Rick Steves book. I believe we paid 135 euros which included breakfast brought to your room. It was a small hotel (less than dozen rooms) on a second floor on Via Cavour. The location was excellent for sightseeing. We could lean out window and see the Forum......so could walk to Forum and Colisseum and many restaurants. The rooms were clean and efficient, but nothing fancy. The lady at desk was very helpful in calling and suggesting restaurants, directions, taxi, etc. A reliable, plain hotel in excellent location. (Check comments on TripAdvisor.....I did, and most were very accurate.)

I second CintiPam's choice of the Smeraldo. We stayed there a few years ago per recommendation from Rick Steves and Fodor's and found the hotel to be charming and the central location perfect for our daily sightseeing outings. In fact we walked everywhere, even to the Vatican. Every evening after dinner we wandered over to the Plaza Navona to people-watch and listen to the street musicians before walking the few blocks back to the hotel.

We stayed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto three years ago and loved the location and the hotel. Easy walk to most sites. This last trip we decided to go more "local" and stayed at Navona Gallery Suites, also a great location, only 140 euros a night. We prefer the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de Fiori areas to the Spanish Steps, but thats just us. There are plenty of less expensive places in the central areas than the hotels you listed. We usually use Tripadvisor and Venere for reviews and deciding about locations.

Walking around Rome after dinner is one of the wonderful things of staying more central. We think the Trevi Fountain is much nicer at night, but its good to see it both in daylight and after dark, easy walk from any of the places mentioned here.

the last time we were in Roma (March '09), we enjoyed our stay at the Albergo Cesari near the Pantheon. While certainly not luxe, the Cesari is friendly, with clean, comfortable, well appointed rooms, in a great location, and serves a good breakfast on nice rooftop patio.

http://www.albergocesari.it/inglese/hotel.htm

You might also want to consider the Sofitel Roma. It's location is across from the Villa Borghese Gardens. As we are pretty good walkers, we were able to visit a number of the city sights on foot. It's not too far from the Spanish Steps.

Another fun way to see a lot of the sights without doing a lot of walking is to use their Hop on, Hop off buses ( forget the correct name at the moment ). We did this and enjoyed seeing the city from the open upper decks. Then we would just hop off at any given stop to visit specific sights and then when we were ready to head to another area, we would catch the next available bus.

Of course sitting outside up top is dependent on the weather, but it worked well for us on our O. Med. cruise in May.

There are a few different companies that do these city tours and my recommendation would be to use the better ones ($$ ) because they seem to run more buses. Your hotel concierge should be able to recommend a good outfit.

Interesting suggestions - again thank you for those.

Never having visited Rome previously there seems to be two more favoured locations discussed on many of the review sites - specifically the Spanish Steps and the area around the Colosseum.

If I'm following the comments correctly the Spanish Steps has more in the way of restaurants but the Colosseum is closer to more of the historic sites many people visit and allows you to do them on foot.

Is this reasonably correct or are there other significant considerations?

if you are keeping a tally: our favorite hotel in Rome is the Intercontinental De la Ville. Top of the Spanish Steps, next door to the Hassler. It is a great location, walking distance to many sites, lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. Very pleasant courtyard for coffee or a cocktail. We had a little balcony last time we stayed with a view of all of Rome and St Peter's.

-------------------

Helen

Interesting suggestions - again thank you for those.

Never having visited Rome previously there seems to be two more favoured locations discussed on many of the review sites - specifically the Spanish Steps and the area around the Colosseum.

If I'm following the comments correctly the Spanish Steps has more in the way of restaurants but the Colosseum is closer to more of the historic sites many people visit and allows you to do them on foot.

Is this reasonably correct or are there other significant considerations?

You are right about the Spanish steps part but wrong about the Colosseum. There is nothing there but the Colosseum and it is not the best/prettiest part of Rome to stay in.

I think the other preffered area seems to be around Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiore.

You are right about the Spanish steps part but wrong about the Colosseum. There is nothing there but the Colosseum and it is not the best/prettiest part of Rome to stay in.

I think the other preffered area seems to be around Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiore.

Paulchili, you took the words right out of my mouth (or is it the letters right out of my keyboard?).

I simply love the Piazza Navona/Campo di'Fiori/Pantheon area for our Rome visits because so much of this area is primarily pedestrian, both in the day and in the evening, with lovely strolling opportunities and a lots of good people and entertainment watching. Just spending some time at the Piazza Navona after dinner is always entertaining.

We stayed by the Spanish Steps on our first visit to Rome over 30 years ago (at the still-lovely Scalinata di Spagna), but because I definitely am not a high-end shopper switched to the Old Rome area and have enjoyed it immensely. Centrally located, great for transportation connections and very safe.

Paulchili, you took the words right out of my mouth (or is it the letters right out of my keyboard?).

I simply love the Piazza Navona/Campo di'Fiori/Pantheon area for our Rome visits because so much of this area is primarily pedestrian, both in the day and in the evening, with lovely strolling opportunities and a lots of good people and entertainment watching. Just spending some time at the Piazza Navona after dinner is always entertaining.

We stayed by the Spanish Steps on our first visit to Rome over 30 years ago (at the still-lovely Scalinata di Spagna), but because I definitely am not a high-end shopper switched to the Old Rome area and have enjoyed it immensely. Centrally located, great for transportation connections and very safe.

CintiPam,

You are absolutely right. Those would be the top 2 choices for hotel locations in my book. There is lots to do and see (and eat) around Piazza Navona and Campo area. Spanish steps area is close the the Trevi and some other attractions, but more "touristy".

In '07 DH and I stayed at Paba Hotel pre-cruise (basic) and Albergo del Senato post-cruise (bellissimo); returned to Rome by myself last year and stayed at Hotel Teatropace33, a small hotel literally around the corner from Piazza Navona. Outstanding location, excellent value. Spotless. Great marble bathroom. Check out my reviews of all three on TripAdvisor.

Archived