Chance of getting upgraded when booking a 1A with two adults?

YorkieMommyKandis

Was wanting to hear from those of you who have booked a 1A on Carnival before. I am trying to go about this the cheapest way because we are working on a very small budget for our trip. Who has booked a 1A, as two adults, and gotten upgraded to another room? I really would prefer not to be in bunk beds, but will accept that if that is what we get. I'm considering booking a better cabin, but I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to. Anyone ever stay in the 1A's? How are they? Or did you get upgraded?

We just came off of the Pride yesterday it was great. I booked however over a year ago with early saver and same as you got the cheapest rate I could for 2 adults $499 each. It was an interior but not the bunk kind. Since it was my first cruise I didn't care where I slept. The Wednesday before the cruise I got a call form carnival asking if I wanted to upgrade to a balcony room for $200 flat, no extra fees or taxes. I took it. I ended up paying roughly $1270.00 for both of us. Only problem now, I don't think I could go with an interior room, I was spoiled.

Thanks! I think I may just book the 1A, as long as my husband doesn't mind. I got irritated because there were some great deals on the oceanview cabins, and I waited a couple days and then poof they were gone! So now I have waited months to book, just waiting to see if something else came up. I'm just not into spending a lot on the room...unless I am going to go all the way with it. It would either be bare basics room or the balcony room. I either want a great deal or a great view. :)

If you book in a specific category, that is what you get. Carnival won't just move you like they would on a guarantee.

You may get a call asking you to pay more for a better room.

You could also watch the prices and if they lower the price for a better room, you can always call them and get switched for the difference in price.

We booked a 1A on the Fantasy and that is what we got. The upper bunk mattress was a lot harder than the lower bunk and it took a few days to get used to sleeping up there.

I would bring our single airbed the next time.

I think if you book a 1A gty your chances of an upgrade are better than if you book a specific 1A cabin. I travel single in 1A cabins, and usually try to get military discount, so I can't do a gty. but the first time I did go with the gty, I was upgraded from 1A to 4B. Still an inside, but no bunks (Fascination). On Sensation, I booked gty and got a 4A. EM

1A's come in many flavors on Carnival. On the spirit class ships the 1A's are regular inside cabins (2 beds on the floor) in a not-so-great location (low deck all the way in the back). As for other ship classes there seems to be endless combinations of port-hole'd, window, inside, with couch, without couch, etc. but in all cases there is only a single "real" bed and then either a bunk or a convertable sofa.

My experience is if at the time you book there are ONLY 1A guarrantees available and NO specific 1A's cabins to select you'll generally end up in a cat 4. If you book a specific 1A cabin, well, that's that. Unless they try to upsell you (and it's more likely they will not call) you get the cabin you booked. I doubt the occupancy figures into the "free upgrade fairy's" decision making.

My experience in 9 carnival cruises is as follows:

All cruises we booked at the 1A single rate

2 times I selected specific 1A cabins and that's I got

7 times were guarantees. 1 time I got a 1A, 1 time I got a 6A (that was really nice) and 5 times I ended up in a regular inside cabin.

If you book a guarantee you have to expect that's what you'll get, it's just silly to book a 1A and then be upset if that's what you end up in.

Kandis what ship are you looking at? Reason I ask is that I had never looked at the 1A before because of the bunks...hubby would have a fit!!...until I started reading these boards. I found out that there several options on the 1A depending on the ship in question. Liberty and I *think* her sister ships in Conquest class have some cabins in the very fromntof ship that are Cat. 1A but they have portholes and 1 single bed and a sofa bed that folds out into single bed. I believe there was a thread about it showing someone with the beds put together! Save money AND get to sleep with the hubby!! Just do a search about 1A's and see what you can find. meanwhile I will try to find the link for the thread I found on it.

I would say it really depends on how far out your cruise is. If you book a gty over a year out your odds are better of getting upgraded at least into the inside category. But if this cruise is in 2 weeks you better be ready for the bunk beds.

The Fantasy class ships also have some 1A's that are a couch bed and 1 bed. they are located lower 2 floors of the ship and in the front.

That said - I booked a 1A for myself and my 13 yr old for $254 pp (4 night). It was a booked room - wanted to see if we could handle it going cheap route. Got the upsell call 46 hours before sailaway and went to a 6C for $40 more pp.

We had booked an inside with 1 bunk. I could tell the difference between 185 and 220 sq ft. The window was not a big deal for us. We will continue to book insides. Right now more interested in more cruises but maybe in 2011 we will have a balcony.

I had originally booked some 1As, but price dropped and I upgraded on all of them. I personally decided not to do bunk beds. I would be the one who got the upper bunk.

I do 1As on the ships that do not have bunks like Triumph or Conquest I love 1As, they are great. I could have upgraded to a cheaper inside, 4B for $10 pp less than Im paying for my 1A but stayed put for the port holes on Triumph.

The Fantasy class ships also have some 1A's that are a couch bed and 1 bed. they are located lower 2 floors of the ship and in the front..

I dont think this is true, sorry. I have been told ALL 1As on Fantasy class ships are bunks. Everything I have read here has confirmed this.

"Chance of getting upgraded when booking a 1A with two adults?"

IMHO next to none. The days of true upgrades are just about over. Up-sale, much more possible. But then if you want to be sure that you get a bigger, better cabin just pay for it up front. Some of these up-sale offers are a joke. The way the prices are jumping all over the place, many times the up-sale cabin was cheaper to begin with. I allways take reports/claims of super duper upgrades with a large grain of salt. EX: 1A to a cat 12. Makes a nice story, but I just don't belive it. That said I have been so called upgraded three times. Two I took, 1A to a larger inside and the other an 1A to a Port Hole 5A. The third was a Port Hole 5A to an OV. Turned it down, it was under a bar and I was happy with the port hole cabin and location. You should only expect to get what you pay for and not be expecting an upgrade. Have a great cruise in what ever cabin you book.

There are no 1As forward on the Fantasy class lower decks, they are 4As/4Bs.

yes that is true also. I thought I wouldnt add that part of the post was wrong as well, but it crossed my mind. I do have the 4As booked that used to be 5As, so that might be what the poster is thinking of and just confused. ... I agree and noticed it was wrong as well...but only mentioned that there are no 1As on fantasy class ships that arent bunks..but there are also none that are forward.

yes that is true also. I thought I wouldnt add that part of the post was wrong as well, but it crossed my mind. I do have the 4As booked that used to be 5As, so that might be what the poster is thinking of and just confused. ... I agree and noticed it was wrong as well...but only mentioned that there are no 1As on fantasy class ships that arent bunks..but there are also none that are forward.

Well there is still 6393 on the Conquest. A 1A with twin beds.

Well there is still 6393 on the Conquest. A 1A with twin beds.

I know... finally I have it 2nd leg of my B2B that I added onto the Crazies. I had the choice of 6393 or a port hole cabin on Riveria ... the one on deck 7 and 8 was booked, so thats why I am in the cabin you posted pics of...finally. Been booked for over a year and a half for the Crazies .... finally. Got the 1A with two windows that is now a 6B for the first leg.

.... less than a week and Ill finally be on to take my own pics of your 1A cabin.

I know... finally I have it 2nd leg of my B2B that I added onto the Crazies. I had the choice of 6393 or a port hole cabin on Riveria ... the one on deck 7 and 8 was booked, so thats why I am in the cabin you posted pics of...finally. Been booked for over a year and a half for the Crazies .... finally. Got the 1A with two windows that is now a 6B for the first leg.

.... less than a week and Ill finally be on to take my own pics of your 1A cabin.

Don't blame me if the extra bed is gone. :D

P.S. Make sure when you take your pictures that the lamp shade is straight.:o

Was wanting to hear from those of you who have booked a 1A on Carnival before. I am trying to go about this the cheapest way because we are working on a very small budget for our trip. Who has booked a 1A, as two adults, and gotten upgraded to another room? I really would prefer not to be in bunk beds, but will accept that if that is what we get. I'm considering booking a better cabin, but I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to. Anyone ever stay in the 1A's? How are they? Or did you get upgraded?

I have booked more than a few 1A's over the past few years. I travel solo. I have been upgraded to 4A's twice and I was alone....

The 1A cabins are fine. Lots of floor space because of only having one twin bed.....

The ship in question is the Carnival Fascination. The cabin number is R56. Does anyone know if that one has bunk beds? Would the carnival rep be able to tell me that?

Sounds like you called and got your answer, but all 1As on Fantasy class ships are bunk beds... the newer ships the 1As are great, but not on the older Fantasy class ships, imo (at least not for 2 people)

If you book in a specific category, that is what you get. Carnival won't just move you like they would on a guarantee.

You may get a call asking you to pay more for a better room.

You could also watch the prices and if they lower the price for a better room, you can always call them and get switched for the difference in price.

We booked a 1A on the Fantasy and that is what we got. The upper bunk mattress was a lot harder than the lower bunk and it took a few days to get used to sleeping up there.

I would bring our single airbed the next time.

Not true. I was booked in a 4A interior cabin on the Carnival Freedon

for a Mediterranean cruise in 2007. And I got upgraded to a 6A outside

cabin, no charge. Sometimes it happens, most of the time it doesn't.

Sounds like you called and got your answer, but all 1As on Fantasy class ships are bunk beds... the newer ships the 1As are great, but not on the older Fantasy class ships, imo (at least not for 2 people)

What makes you say that? There was a lot of room in the 1A on Inspiration. What are the newer ones like?

Archived