Advice please - drive or fly to port?

nattie

Background: we live in MD and can drive to Baltimore, Bayonne or NYC for cruise. My issue is that I want to cruise between Thanksgiving and Xmas (prices are a steal and DS is over 8 mo) and am worried about rough seas and cold weather. Obviously this will be DS's first cruise and I am plenty anxious about it without added stress of anticipating 15ft swells :). Also, with FL itinerary we can do a shorter cruise, which might be better for him.

So the main decision: Drive to port (pros: can pack all the baby stuff I want and then some; cons: cold weather and possible rough seas for at least 3rd of the cruise) or fly (cons: packing limits, hassle and additional expense of flying; pros: can enjoy the whole cruise, can take a shorter cruise just to make sure DS is a sailor :)).

Any input is welcomed and appreciated!

P.S. Please be kind and do not voice your opinion in the lines of "How dare you take a kid on the cruise" :rolleyes: I understand that cruising will be completely different with the baby and solemly swear to do my best to be a good mom and don't let him severely disrupt other PAXs vacation.

That's all of course a matter of personal opinion. But, since you asked and since you want to cruise at that particular time because of the cheaper prices, seems like you ought to drive and avoid the added expense of flying -- which would be counter to your money-saving reason for cruising at the time that you've chosen.

That's all of course a matter of personal opinion. But, since you asked and since you want to cruise at that particular time because of the cheaper prices, seems like you ought to drive and avoid the added expense of flying -- which would be counter to your money-saving reason for cruising at the time that you've chosen.

Didn't think about that one! Mostly it was actually DS's age - can't cruise before 6 mo old and can't wait to cruise when he is 1 yo (warm weather time here again). But you are right, technically we can sail in Oct, BUT it is much cheaper after Thanksgiving.

Well....we are doing Explorer over thanksgiving again. last year, on a scale of 1-10, i would rate bumpy at about a 5-and it was only the 1st day and a half and maybe part of the last day. it wasn't TOO cold either...but pack some light weight sweats to layer.....

as much as i love to fly, my mom hates it (not the flying so much as getting to the a/p and ONTO the plane...) so i am all for driving...

IMO less hassle. but you have to weigh comfort on the ship over comfort getting TO the ship.

hth

BTW i spend ENTIRELY too much time at the RIO complex in Gaithersburg! (mainly at the marriott or the courtyard!) lol

I would suggest you drive and do the longer cruise.

I doubt your little one will have much trouble, or even notice that they are on a ship.

Flying on the other had is an entirely seperate issue. Many little ones have real issues flying. Their eustachion tubes are not fully developed until around a year and a half - two years. This sometimes makes it very painful for them to fly due to the pressure change in their little ears. It's why young kids cry so often on airplanes.

Ships rock, babies LOVE to be rocked!:D

Weather could be cold - that's why man invented clothes. Babies usually have on more than they need. If it's really cold:eek: stay indoors for awile, make sure the baby doesn't overheat.

Enjoy the trip.:) Babies pick up on mother's concerns, so if YOU enjoy, BABY will enjoy.

I think the cruise is a great idea and I would just drive. I would try to arrive the day before just so you don't feel the pressure for that day unless you are leaving out of Baltimore since that is fairly close to your home town. Try to book a cabin that is mid deck. Enjoy.

Keith

I live in NJ and have left from Bayonne the last couple of years any time between Christmas and February. Love it. Love the convenience. 1-1/2 hours to port and I'm there. Next time I want to try Baltimore. 3 hour drive. You can't beat that convenience and ease of not worrying how much to pack. Yes the first day is chilly but there's stuff to do indoors and if it's the Explorer there is a solarium that is covered and you can hang out in there and still soak up the sun. Usually the East Coast is a little pricier but it makes up for having to fly in the day before, hotel, airfare. Have a great trip.

IMO, DS will have no idea if there are swells..you will. ;) You already know we could have a blizzard or gorgeous weather.

Since you haven't mentioned any itinerary or ship desires, I would make it easy on myself and do the 7 night on Carnival Pride or the 9 or 12 night on Celebrity Mercury from Baltimore.

You could be back in Gaithersburg before most of the pax on your ship even get settled at BWI. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. ;)

Driving is always soo much more convenient. I know nothing about babies but I would think that DS will like even a lot of motion on the water -- which may not happen -- better than having his little ears pop from take off & landing on a plane.

My vote is for driving – for a few reasons.

First, by driving there is ZERO risk of the airlines losing your luggage :(. Imagine starting your cruise and no luggage shows up at the airport. Then what? That sinking feeling is no way to start a vacation.

Secondly, driving allows you to arrive on your time schedule; not whenever the flight arrives, assuming it arrives “On-Time”

Third, you’ll save a few bucks. Always a good thing. With a family of four, driving makes much more sense for me, which has allowed us to cruise more often. I can typically drive to the port for the expense of ONE airline ticket. I have flown too, but always find myself slightly more nervous until I set foot on the ship. Driving, I don’t have that worry. I have driven to New Orleans (twice), Fort Lauderdale (a bunch of times).

In my case, when driving, I’ve always planned to arrive in the port city the night before. Didn’t care how late, but I’d be there. Leisurely morning, a little breakfast, check out and then head to the ship. This meant we beat the main rush / crowd boarding. Parking at most ports is reasonable… maybe $10 per day.

And as others have already mentioned (or you yourself), you can take more stuff with you for the driving part. When my kids were younger, this included DVD players for the ride; snacks, etc… Hard to do that via the airlines!

Anyway, just another person’s input… hope it helps you make your decision…

Thank you so much to everyone who responded!

Pride it is :). We did Explorer out of Bayonne 3 years ago and I liked it a lot, BUT it is more expensive and with 3rd person and our preference for a balcony (got to chill out somewhere while bebe sleeps) it is a no brainer!

Thank you so much to everyone who responded!

Pride it is :). We did Explorer out of Bayonne 3 years ago and I liked it a lot, BUT it is more expensive and with 3rd person and our preference for a balcony (got to chill out somewhere while bebe sleeps) it is a no brainer!

There you go! Have a great cruise! ;)

Archived