How much information do they keep?

WYB!

I was just watching the CNBC's Cruise Inc: Big Money on the High Seas, Travel, Behind the Scenes

I'm wondering how much information do you think Cruise lines keep and for how long?

Do you think that, that information from previous cruises, (ie what you purchased on board (excursions, gift shop, photos, computer access, etc), dining, drinks, bar) are kept and factored in to the room upgrade on the next cruise?

Your thoughts?

- CWipes

I was just watching the CNBC's Cruise Inc: Big Money on the High Seas, Travel, Behind the Scenes

I'm wondering how much information do you think Cruise lines keep and for how long?

Do you think that, that information from previous cruises, (ie what you purchased on board (excursions, gift shop, photos, computer access, etc), dining, drinks, bar) are kept and factored in to the room upgrade on the next cruise?

Your thoughts?

- CWipes

No idea, but I do know that my guarantee cabin assignments seem to be mostly based on how much I paid and the fares for various categories nearer to the sailing date.

Bonus days in the revised Mariner program are based on spending. HAL has probably been tracking that for some time, so they have a very good idea of how many spending bonus days people will earn.

I would think that everything about you is on record under your mariner number. This makes good business sense. All businesses need to know how valuable a customer is to them, and also what their preferences are if they wish to best appeal to their needs...

BIG BROTHER is watching!!!

:D:D:D

It would not surprise me at all if indeed most of that information was kept. There might be a time limit on it...what if you only cruised once, or only once every few years? But if they kept it for a few years and it turned out you were a frequent cruiser, and mainly on that line, it would be a valuable source of information to use for upgrades, other benefits.

I would imagine it is similar to the grocery store cards, or CVS card, etc. Which in those cases it's interesting, because my grocery store alerted me to a recall due to contamination -- I don't think it's a bad thing. In different terms, everyone saves data -- what they use it for is a whole other story.

Holland America's information collection practices / privacy policy, updated as of 11 August 2009, may be found here:

http://book.hollandamerica.com/policies/privacy.do

Scott.

It only covers the information collected on their website:

This Privacy Policy discloses how we collect, protect, use and share information gathered about you on our website.

Does it matter to us in any significant way if they have data about our activity while aboard their ships? I have no idea how much info they keep or for how long but it really doesn't matter to me whatever. I do think they can tell to the dime how much each Mariner has paid in cruise fares through the years but on board spending.......... I'd say probably.

Just my personal guess.

Archived