dress code from 5-10 p.m. EVERY night on the ship

divadhayes

I have cruised with HAL before and I didn't realize that the dress code is so strict. I like to run on the sports deck every night because its cooler and I can avoid the long sun exposure. I usually run for about 1 hour. Nobody ever said anything but I guess that I am not really supposed to be on deck in running attire. It is a sports deck so what do you think, is it okay?

Jogging on the Sports Deck (or on the Lower Promenade/Promenade Deck) will place you out-of-doors. The ship's outside areas are not governed by the evening's dress code suggestions. Shorts, t-shirts, work-out wear, etc., are all welcome and expected in such places at any hour of the day or night. *Transit to and from those areas is also not a problem, so long as your path doesn't take you jogging through the main dining room or through a bar for a scotch and soda and a dance or two.

(*for Copper and his tired refrain regarding underdressed people having to negotiate rope ladders down the exterior of the ship in order to avoid companionways)

(*for Copper and his tired refrain regarding underdressed people having to negotiate rope ladders down the exterior of the ship in order to avoid companionways)

My "tired refrain" (your words) deals with rapelling down ropes Rev, not rope ladders - There IS a difference!

why NCL...is that supossed to be the most casual ship of them all or something? I dont mind looking nice for dinner in fact i like it but to have to keep that on for the rest of the night to see the ship - :(

Carnival are the real casual ships. Just about anything goes on them and I have seen just about everything. I stopped going on Carnival for that reason. Holland, at one time, was mostly older people with some money and a more "refined" type guest. Everyone came to dinner according to the dress code of the evening and remained dressed that way. Carnival was always the cheapest cruise line that anyone could afford and anyone went. Holland has relaxed their elegance a bit but it still is a more traditional cruise line. If you like dressing in shorts in the dining room Carnival and NCL is your choice. If a cruise line asks me to come to dinner in a certain way I follow that out of respect. I know how Holland is so if I am in more of a causal mood I will go on a more casual cruise line.

I have cruised with HAL before and I didn't realize that the dress code is so strict. I like to run on the sports deck every night because its cooler and I can avoid the long sun exposure. I usually run for about 1 hour. Nobody ever said anything but I guess that I am not really supposed to be on deck in running attire. It is a sports deck so what do you think, is it okay?

That is not a problem. The dress code is for the show and lounges-not the outside areas. You can go to the gym and therapy pool, you can go to the lido pool also. No one expects you to swim and run in evening wear.

If someone gives you a "look" when you are in the elevator, on the stairs, or on your way out to run-they have the problem -not you-you are respecting the suggested dress code.

I am not quite sure why anyone dressed casually after dinner on formal night would care that some busybody gave them the 'look'. We need to take people as they are, not as we want them to be.

in the words of rev neal, amen!

HAL has decided that with such a "Fit" bunch of passengers who are constantly

swimming laps in the aft pool

jogging on the promenade deck

always taking the stairs and NOT the elevators

They will no longer be making bread pudding,heck they read these boards also.

I love that "tired refrain" and was hoping to see it pop up in this thread :D:D

Always makes me laugh!! :D

HAL has decided that with such a "Fit" bunch of passengers who are constantly

swimming laps in the aft pool

jogging on the promenade deck

always taking the stairs and NOT the elevators

They will no longer be making bread pudding,heck they read these boards also.

Wasn't there some guy who couldn't stop eating bread pudding on the ship and there was alot of commentary about how many helpings he took? I remember it being an entertaining thread. You know, how many people commented on how much he ate and all that.

Wasn't there some guy who couldn't stop eating bread pudding on the ship and there was alot of commentary about how many helpings he took? I remember it being an entertaining thread. You know, how many people commented on how much he ate and all that.

That was yeayeayea,I don't know what happened to him,first barf guy then him. I just hope they weren't abducted or anything?

twilight-zone-eye-of-the-beholder.jpg

Oh yeah, two of the more entertaining posters. Nice mask there. I'm still trying to figure out what I should wear for Halloween. :) Since this is still a dress code thread, maybe someone has some ideas?:confused:

I often wonder what happens if two busybodies happen to disagree on whether a fellow passenger is dressed in what constitutes 'formal' attire. Is there some sort of arbitration process? And do these experts have special codes, handshakes, nods, etc. so they can communicate on the busy dining room floor or in the show lounge? Does the arbitration process include drawing blood to determine if the person in question is a blueblood or just a regular joe with red blood? And what about those other smart casual nights. Some say jeans are an absolute taboo, others say they are fine as long as the wearer has a jacket and a coordinated outfit (which is in itself is subject to opinion based on what we have observed ). Some say HAL allows them, others say HAL does not specifically say that they are allowed so that means that they are not....will a list of permitted clothing be issued so that there can be no misunderstanding or confusion by the unwashed masses. I am so confused.

Archived