dress code from 5-10 p.m. EVERY night on the ship

divadhayes

Actually, he's in the U.S. Senate now.

Three boys are in the schoolyard bragging of how great their fathers are.

The first one says:"Well, my father runs the fastest. He can fire an arrow, and start to run, I tell you, he gets there before the arrow".

The second one says:"Ha! You think that's fast! My father is a hunter. He can shoot his gun and be there before the bullet".

The third one listens to the other two and shakes his head. He then says:"You two know nothing about fast. My father is a senator. He stops working at 4:30 and he is home by 3:45!!"

Oh gosh I just finished posting my own questions last night since Im planning my first trip with HAL but couldnt let this comment go. Im only 50 Im not that old really im not...but when I see comments like that this one I feel very very old. When did it become "over dressing" to dress in a tux or formal gown for a formal occassion. This is exactly what dh and I were asking about for our Alaskan cruise. Unfortunately though the poster is right. Because so many people have eroded dress codes over the years it is rare that one wont feel over dressed if they are dressed in what "used" to be appropriate dress now everywhere. It doesnt just affect ships though , it affects every walk of life. I recently was interviewing for a new employee for a secretarial/clerk position who showed up in...are you ready..."jeans". Needless to say she didnt get the job...with me the poor thing didnt stand a chance the minute she walked in like that...didnt matter how qualified she may have appeared on paper, I had to immediately question her judgement and was concerned about her ability to make judgement calls when needed. I commented on the jeans(not in a nasty way but rather by saying "oh do they let you wear jeans at XXX "her current place of employment), and she told me they were "designer" as though that should matter. I've been in nice restaurants where dh and I have felt over dressed in casual dress and sports jacket because everyone else is in shorts. Imho it is part and parcel of the thinking of "me myself and I" . Life has not become more informal, rather people have simply refused to abide by suggested dress because they dont want to, they dont use basic manners, and much more. It isnt informal rather it is a sad commentary that many dont do any of it because they simply dont give a s--- about what anyone else thinks.

Dh and I were trying to decide whether he would rent a tux (too much luggage for our 3 week trip to bring his own) for our Alaskan cruise. We've decided that although he probably will be "over dressed" he's going to do it anyway...means he doesnt have to bring black dress shoes and dress pants since most of the evening clothes we're going to have will be light colours since we're going to Palm springs after the cruise.

On a side not....a couple of years ago we flew from San Juan to Aruba and a suitcase got lost. We had been out for dinner before the flight, and I was wearing a long sundress, and dh was wearing dress pants and long sleeved collared shirt. One of our suitcases didnt make the flight. At the baggage counter a 30 something Aruban woman couldnt stop commenting on "how nice it was to see people dressed up since it is so rare nowadays". We were not that dressed up. I thought it was a sad commentary. She also bent over backwards to find my suitcase and kinda ignored the young couple in shorts while she gabbed away with us. This guy who was huffing and puffing and trying very hard to look important was also trying to deal with his lost luggage...imho is was a tad difficult for him to look important standing there in tshirt and shorts. He may have been the president of a major corp but he didnt "look" the part and it didnt serve him well on that occasion. Sometimes clothes do matter :)

I think you might enjoy this http://comedians.comedycentral.com/sebastian-maniscalco/videos/sebastian-maniscalco---casual-dress

Ok so I just found out that you cant wear shorts, tshirts, jeans from the hours of 5-10 everyday on the ship...im pretty unhappy with this infomation ...for myself...i dont want to dress like im at work (smart casual) while im on vacation...dinnertime itself is one thing but 5-10 is a long time...what if i want to catch a show and be confortable there? also my son is going to be an issue..he is a kid..i could barely get him in the suit on our last cruise for formal nights...this just seems so crazy to me to dictate what someone wears on vacation for 5 hours...can anyone tell me if they really are that strict. or what your experience with this was when you cruised on hal pls:eek:

I really dont know what peopole mean whan they can be confortoble only in shorts???NCL would be a better choise for you

Greg, I know that my children would not consider this and my grandchildren are very clothes conscious == even the 5 year old. So hopefully there is hope for the future.

LOL ... Elaine, I know there is hope for the future. :) I'm just trying to add a little levity, that's all.

my husband and i were reminiscing about early airplane travel and how we wore our best clothes for the plane ride, i in a dress and heels, he in a suit and tie. and how about 6 years ago we went out and bought him 2 brand new suits. the next day his company, an old, respected, conservative accounting firm in nyc, announced permanent business casual attire. alas, the times they are a'changing. my children, in their 20s, love to get really dressed up on formal night. but if they had a choice they would wear jeans and shorts at all other times. in a few years they will rule the world. and they will be the cruisers on hal if it survives this "cultural revolution."

the time is now. go into any clothing store and they have shorts, shirts, capris, bikinis, sneakers in green, blue and gray camoflage. this may be smart casual on carnival during the next spring break.

Hey, look ... it's the new Formal Night Dress Code for 2019! ;)

the time is here already. clothing stores have racks of ble, green and gray camoflage clothing--shirts, pants, underwear, shorts, capris, bikinis, sneakers.

this may be the new smart casual dress on carnival during spring break.

a lot of people here have much too much time on their hands. a person should be be beautiful from the inside out. some of you people don't seem very pretty to me. i hope i am not sailing with you!

what do you mean?:confused:

Actually, I found that quite funny. Another thread! Not here! I am so ready to start another dress code thread, you wait and see!

love,

Susie

Now now, susie ... these were petering out. They usually errupt about once every other month and rumble on for about 30 or so days, then hand-off the mantel of debate to some other topic -- like smoking.

As for me, I'm in full pre-cruise planning mode. I'm too busy to fight. :D

After reading this thread I was convinvinced not to take a tux, then today I received an unsolicttrd email from cruise critic with a new review of the Eurodam, now I!m taking a Tux. Suggest you read it.

After reading this thread I was convinvinced not to take a tux, then today I received an unsolicttrd email from cruise critic with a new review of the Eurodam, now I!m taking a Tux. Suggest you read it.

Hi there,

Which review is it that you read?

It was emailed to me by Cruise Critic in soliciting booking with them. I guess its posted on there review list. For formal nights the reviewer stated most men wore Tux`s. It`s a very complete review of the ship with great advice on dinig options It goes into detail.

It was emailed to me by Cruise Critic in soliciting booking with them. I guess its posted on there review list. For formal nights the reviewer stated most men wore Tux`s. It`s a very complete review of the ship with great advice on dinig options It goes into detail.

Granted, we take shorter cruises (7 to 10 days) but I've never seen "most" men wearing tuxes.

That review was written by the Editor in Chief of Cruise Critic, she was most likely on a cruise during the inaugural season when many dignitaries and travel writers and travel agents -- this would skew the dress code comment.

We've always been on cruises of 10 days or more, and the only time 'most men' wore tux's was back in the 1980's - I skipped the 1990's but when I cruised in 2000 and later -- the tux's were not in the majority.

Ok so I just found out that you cant wear shorts, tshirts, jeans from the hours of 5-10 everyday on the ship...im pretty unhappy with this infomation ...for myself...i dont want to dress like im at work (smart casual) while im on vacation...dinnertime itself is one thing but 5-10 is a long time...what if i want to catch a show and be confortable there? also my son is going to be an issue..he is a kid..i could barely get him in the suit on our last cruise for formal nights...this just seems so crazy to me to dictate what someone wears on vacation for 5 hours...can anyone tell me if they really are that strict. or what your experience with this was when you cruised on hal pls:eek:

I think you picked the wrong line. NCL, RCI, or Carnival would be better for you. Those lines will fit your preferences. Hopefully it is not too late and you can rebook with another line.

Archived