I've Pre-Paid Gratuities - NOW WHAT?

Nikki Lisette

This subject is a thorn in the side for the vets - for that I

am truly sorry but... first time cruiser, I'm confused.

I've PRE PAID my gratuities for Carnival - will I need to

tip again during my cruise?

I've seen on various threads that each cocktail I order

will have a "tip" added to it.

Yes or No? :confused:

No--your room attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter have been taken care of...no need for additional tips.

The barstaff is NOT included in your pre-paid tips...every time you order a drink, 15% will be added to it...that's THEIR tip! (Same goes with sodas, if you purchase them...a 15% tip is added to ALL drink purchases!)

No--your room attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter have been taken care of...no need for additional tips.

The barstaff is NOT included in your pre-paid tips...every time you order a drink, 15% will be added to it...that's THEIR tip! (Same goes with sodas, if you purchase them...a 15% tip is added to ALL drink purchases!)

Black and white. Thank you. :cool:

You can immediately go the the desk and tell them to take the "tip" off your S&S card. For me it was $80.00 and at the end of the week I tipped how I felt it was earned to the room attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter. My break down was different.

We kept the auto tips in place and gave a bit extra in cash to those who we felt deserved it, such as our room stewards (extra $20) and we gave the room service person $5 cash every time they delivered our breakfast.

There was 15% added to our alcoholic beverage purchases.

You can immediately go the the desk and tell them to take the "tip" off your S&S card. For me it was $80.00 and at the end of the week I tipped how I felt it was earned to the room attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter. My break down was different.

and you ultimately cheated someone also. My advice is leave the tip and if someone goes above, give more.

The autotip covers your room stewards and the various food waitststaff. Bar servers are NOT included in this. Each time you order a drink, the 15% gratuity is added to your bill when you sign for the drink (no cash changes hands).

You will need cash to tip people such as the person who brings room service. You might also want to tip extra for anyone who goes above and beyond, (We usually give something extra to our room steward(s) and our waitstaff in the MDR)

You can have the autotip adjusted upward if you wish (and downward too, but I feel this is just plain cheap and really stiffs someone along the way)

and you ultimately cheated someone also. My advice is leave the tip and if someone goes above, give more.

You may be jumping too quickly here............ Clipsy01 didn't say they tipped less than the recommended amount. They could have tipped more.

You may be jumping too quickly here............ Clipsy01 didn't say they tipped less than the recommended amount. They could have tipped more.

There are a whole lot of people that are part of the tip pool that Clipsy01 may not have seen, or considered, like bus boys, the folks who set up the buffet, the folks who clean up the dining venues...all of whom share in the tip pool. Sounds like Clipsy only tipped those that were visible to him -- waiter (and did he consider that the waiters at dinner also might have served breakfast, lunch, worked at the buffet, worked at other dining venues, whether he used them all or not?)

This is coming from someone who typically over-tips...

I think that a tip is earned. I don't like the idea of having a "base" tip, bc maybe that person doesn't deserve the base. More than likely, the person does deserve it + extra, but I wouldn't want to be tied-in.

I'm also one of those people who doesn't like when Dunkin Donuts, Subway workers, etc leave out tip jars.

I understood that all the staff were under an obligation to hand any personal tips that they may receive into the 'central pot' for everyone to share. Does anyone know if that is the case?

On NCL, at least, if you leave the auto-tip in place, any additional tips that you give (in cash) can be kept by whoever receives them. But if you remove the auto-tip, then any cash tips given to someone must be turned in, and divided up among the rest of the folks that otherwise would receive the auto-tips.

Obviously it's noted who removes the auto-tip, and so while presumably the steward wouldn't have to turn in anything and claim that no tips were given, generally they are obligated to turn it in, and it would be assumed that they were given a tip, so it would be asked for. Folks could be penalized for not turning them in, up to losing their jobs, so I suspect they'd do as directed.

I'm not suggesting they tipped less totally. My thoughts were that some of the people in the tip pool that are less visible probably did not receive anything. That is the primary reason I like the auto-tip so I don't have to worry about it.

I do overtip as well but don't believe in the tip jars at Starbucks and the like......

If you take the auto-tip off, then any cash tip you give to anyone must be turned into the pool to be shared -- this rule applies on Carnival. Any employee who does not turn in such tips risks being discharged. The staff are made aware of who has taken the auto-tip off so they will know if they have to turn in the tips. (They also, of course, are aware of who is trying such a tactic.) The result of your procedure is simply to reallocate among all participants in the auto-tip whatever amount you did give.

The auto-tip is not ideal - but it does make it a whole lot easier to compensate those who provided basic service. If you feel any have provided superior service, you can always tip them extra. Like it or not, this system is what you buy into when you book with Carnival.

Doing this-- especially on carnival- you did your people a dis-service.

When you took the tip off the card-- any monies you gave them they had to turn in to share with all the other people. (which they got a very small share that you gave them) Now if you kept the tips on the card and tipped the people you thought deserved it they would have been able to keep it.

By doing this too-- you dissed all the people that waited on you at the various buffet places. (so you never ate at the buffet area, never ate pizza, or ice cream or room service)

This is coming from someone who typically over-tips...

I think that a tip is earned. I don't like the idea of having a "base" tip, bc maybe that person doesn't deserve the base. More than likely, the person does deserve it + extra, but I wouldn't want to be tied-in.

I'm also one of those people who doesn't like when Dunkin Donuts, Subway workers, etc leave out tip jars.

One day at Subway, I was really pleased with the sandwich and at checkout, looked around and asked, "Where's your tip jar?"

She was one of those characters (think "Flo") and replied without missing a beat, "We don't have one . . . but I've got a tip pocket!":p

You are not obligated to tip again during your cruise. However, I personally tip a little bit additional throughout the week. Here is what I think is customary to tip for on a cruise (on top of your auto-gratuities):

Room Service Deliveries - $2-$5 is good per delivery

Room Steward - I usually give an additional $20 if our room steward takes good care of us. They clean up your room in the morning and then turn-down service in the evening. If you have any special requests, they will deliver. Their tips are well earned and deserved.

Waiter - If I get great service in the dining room, I usually tip a little bit extra at the end of the week.

I also bring a few singles for the bus driver for excursions, tour guides, etc.

Others have already answered your question regarding the gratuity for beverages; 15% is already added when they swipe you Sail & Sign card.

This subject is a thorn in the side for the vets - for that I

am truly sorry but... first time cruiser, I'm confused.

If you prefer not to pay the automatic 15% gratuity, you can purchase the prepaid drink coupons (4 alcoholic beverages for $21.25) directly from the Carnival gifts section. I did this on my Carnival cruise and it worked out great! No additional 15% is necessary. We prepaid our gratuities in full in advance like you and found these to be a great value. Below is the link :

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=MostPopularItems&pid=BAR

If you prefer not to pay the automatic 15% gratuity, you can purchase the prepaid drink coupons (4 alchoholic beverages for $21.25) directly from the Carnival gifts section. I did this on my Carnival cruise and it worked out great! No additional 15% is necessary. We prepaid our gratuities in full in advance like you and found these to be a great value.

The drink coupons are a great deal, but some drinks cost more than the coupon. I don't remember if I had to use 2 for some drinks or if I was charged additionally on my Sign&Sail card, but I do remember that the drink coupon didn't cover all drinks on the menu. Does anyone else remember what happens when the drink you order is more than the coupon?

I am sailing for the third time on Carnival and for the most part dont mind the 15% added on for my bar bill. But there has been a few bartenders (mainly at the pool bars) that I wouldnt mind not tipping because of terrible service.

The Carnival lines - "Uses for the Sail and Sign card" - states that (look it up on there web site)

Beverage Purchases: A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to the bar bill which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

So for me if I get really bad service I plan on docking that specific peson this time. I will just keep my recieps seperate. Some of those bar tenders just think it's a given and I dont like that, I was a bar tender for years:) and know how a patron should be treated. I dont think most people know that the bar tip can be adjusted - I DIDN"T until just reading this.

Oh and by the way I also pre-paid the tip for our cruise in a few weeks - and I know that this does not cover the bar staff.

I have never had any problems with the automatic tip for the staff that is included in each days bill. It is just that some of the bar staff can get lazy and cocky with an I dont give a darn attitude (I think because most people dont know they can re-adjust the automatic 15% bar tab gratuity).

My understanding that the bar tenders pool their tips, the bar runners pool their tips, the dining room runners pool their tips and all get a portion of the pool of soda card tips. This is what was explained to us by one of the Carnival Splendor bartenders.

My understanding that the bar tenders pool their tips, the bar runners pool their tips, the dining room runners pool their tips and all get a portion of the pool of soda card tips. This is what was explained to us by one of the Carnival Splendor bartenders.

this is correct. But a person can keep any extra monies given to him/her.

anything on a card is split

• 2 weeks later...
The drink coupons are a great deal, but some drinks cost more than the coupon. I don't remember if I had to use 2 for some drinks or if I was charged additionally on my Sign&Sail card, but I do remember that the drink coupon didn't cover all drinks on the menu. Does anyone else remember what happens when the drink you order is more than the coupon?

I never paid anything additional for my daiquiris. It could be that certain liquors are more costly than others, or maybe there are 2 different sizes available (one that the coupon covers and another size) similar to the way they handle DOD's in the souvenir glass. It is cheaper w/o the glass. They seemed to be same normal sized drinks whether I used the coupon or ordered addt'l ones on my s/s card.

Archived