Travel Agent vs. Internet

sparky9016

Can anyone tell me the advantage of booking/using a travel agent vs. just booking directly with Carnival on their website? I've been doing a lot of research, and am finding so far, that I'm able to find better deals than two different travel agents are quoting me? So, I'm just trying to find out if there is some hidden benefit I'm not thinking of with a TA? Thanks!

With many of the cruise lines you will find the Same price. The TA are not 'supposed' to be able to discount the fares. Some will offer incentives, OnBoard Credit, a bon voyage gift, or some other little perk. But basicly the price will be the same. (unless that paticular TA has booked 'group space' then you might get a 'discount' rate, being part of the group)

Some TA will do things like watch for price drops, etc. for you.

I (personally) would not use an Online TravelAgent, one that you cant speak with the same person-- those clearing house type places. I use a lady who was recomened by a dear friend, she is great, but I have also booked directly thru the cruise lines too.

Its just personal choice. If you book directly, then you are responsible for dealing with everything. If you use a TA then they cruise line will not speak with you and you must go thru the TA for most everything. (not necessarly a bad thing) ex: *if* you have a problem, many times the TA can 'go to bat' for you and get results.

With many of the cruise lines you will find the Same price. The TA are not 'supposed' to be able to discount the fares. Some will offer incentives, OnBoard Credit, a bon voyage gift, or some other little perk. But basicly the price will be the same. (unless that paticular TA has booked 'group space' then you might get a 'discount' rate, being part of the group)

Some TA will do things like watch for price drops, etc. for you.

I (personally) would not use an Online TravelAgent, one that you cant speak with the same person-- those clearing house type places. I use a lady who was recomened by a dear friend, she is great, but I have also booked directly thru the cruise lines too.

Its just personal choice. If you book directly, then you are responsible for dealing with everything. If you use a TA then they cruise line will not speak with you and you must go thru the TA for most everything. (not necessarly a bad thing) ex: *if* you have a problem, many times the TA can 'go to bat' for you and get results.

TA's can discount all they want. They are just not allowed to advertise lower rates.

You must contact a TA to get lower rates. Not all TA's discount.

OP<

I don't know know how you can be getting lower prices from Carnival than you are from a TA. TA's have access to the same pricing and discounts that Carnival can offer you.

Doesn't sound like apples to apples to me.

Bill

I'm thinking the TA pricing for the cruise itself is probably the same as what Carnival is posting, but it's in the flights I think. She's quoting something like $200 more per person for flights out of my home airport than what I have been finding. So I guess I'm wondering if they have certain airports they try to get you to fly out of vs. another you might rather have?

I'm thinking the TA pricing for the cruise itself is probably the same as what Carnival is posting, but it's in the flights I think. She's quoting something like $200 more per person for flights out of my home airport than what I have been finding. So I guess I'm wondering if they have certain airports they try to get you to fly out of vs. another you might rather have?

If it's the exact same pricing I'd book with CCL directly.

Can't comment on the flights. We always book them ourselves and pick the times we want to fly not what time the cruiseline tells us and usually at a substantial savings.

Bill

Agree with "parrotthead" as we have a personal TA we have used for years.

If there is a price drop or we dectect one she deals with the cruise line.

She also can group together cruisers to take advantage of group discounts (aka blocking out cabins). No obligation to socialize together during your cruise.

Our TA has always contributed to OBC in addition to the cruise line credit if applicable. She has become one of our good friends even though she lives 1,000 miles away.

I haven't used a travel agent since the internet has been widely available. I see no point. I like to do the research for myself. In May I went on a theme cruise. I had to book through a certain agency that had chartered the cruise. I was extremely frustrated when Carnival wouldn't talk to me. They would only talk to the travel agent. All I wanted to do was book transportation from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the Miami port, but I couldn't. When I called the company that I booked the cruise through, they would not help me book a ride through Carnival. They insisted that I use their buses. I called Carnival and told them what happened, and they still told me they couldn't help me. I ended up having to pay $20 more than Carnival to take the agency's bus.

I will never book a trip where I can't talk to Carnival directly (except when I go on the same theme cruise next May, if I want to go, I have to do it)

I don't see the benefit of having one. I am capable of finding a cruise myself. I don't need a middleman.

I've saved anywhere from $120 to $400 on a sailing vs booking directly with the cruiseline by using my TA. I save more the more expensive the cruise is.

I don't need hand holding either. That is just another reason to save money and book with a TA vs directly with Carnival, not a reason not to do so. I find what cruise I want, when I want to go and what cabin I want and contact my TA to book it.

Can anyone tell me the advantage of booking/using a travel agent vs. just booking directly with Carnival on their website? I've been doing a lot of research, and am finding so far, that I'm able to find better deals than two different travel agents are quoting me? So, I'm just trying to find out if there is some hidden benefit I'm not thinking of with a TA? Thanks!

Instead of booking on-line with Carnival on carnival.com, consider doing all your research on ship, itinerary, cabin categories and locations, and such, and pricing, then call the 800 number (with deckplan in front of you) and let a PVP help you. Often they can suggest a pricing or booking option that you might not be aware of when booking on-line. It doesn't cost anymore using a Carnival PVP than on-line. Strongly consider booking your own airfare independent of Carnival. ken

We used an agent on our first cruise.....glad we did, because we didn't know what we were doing in terms of type of rooms, dining times, etc... The second cruise we booked on Carnival's web site and with the help of people on this forum. Had I found this forum earlier, I think we could have done a better job on planning our first cruise.

I don't know know how you can be getting lower prices from Carnival than you are from a TA. TA's have access to the same pricing and discounts that Carnival can offer you.

Two reasons:

• Carnival may be quoting a special rate, the TA may not. If a TA isn't competent enough or knowledgeable enough about all possible rates currently available, they won't offer them, even if they have access to them. (resident, past guest, senior, military, interline, seasonal, one day sales, are some examples)

• The TA may be choosing to quote a higher price. Since they work on commission, the more the guest pays, the more money they make

I personally book directly with the same PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) at Carnival. Been doing so fo the last 5 years...!

I booked through a Big Top store C______O, and they were far cheaper than Carnival. I have yet to get a good rate from Carnival ever. I don't trust online booking due to my own paranoia...like who are you going to call? Also, the travel insurance we got was far cheaper than what Carnival offered. It does pay to shop around.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been almost obsessive about researching this, as it's our first cruise. I am leaning toward booking the cruise through Carnival's PVP, but I will have to do my own airfare. Carnival does not offer flights out of my home airport, and due to time constraints, unless we fly out the day of the cruise, we need to go from our home airport. Flying out the day of the cruise opens a whole other bag of issues for me! Really don't want to do that... I'm already a very nervous traveler (as far as getting to airports and such goes), so that idea does not sit well with me....

Flying out the day of the cruise opens a whole other bag of issues for me! Really don't want to do that... I'm already a very nervous traveler (as far as getting to airports and such goes), so that idea does not sit well with me....

You definitely want/need to fly in the day before. Much better for the "peace of mind" factor.

Agree with "parrotthead" as we have a personal TA we have used for years.

If there is a price drop or we dectect one she deals with the cruise line.

She also can group together cruisers to take advantage of group discounts (aka blocking out cabins). No obligation to socialize together during your cruise.

Our TA has always contributed to OBC in addition to the cruise line credit if applicable. She has become one of our good friends even though she lives 1,000 miles away.

We booked our Splendor cruise directly w/Carnival, but transfered to a friend who's a travel agent. She got our friends on the same cruise & managed to find the in-state discount that we missed (she got it in OBC).

Our first 3 cruises I booked by either calling the cruiseline directly or booking directly on-line with the cruiseline. I have since become more internet travel smart and can always find a cheaper rate though an on-line agency than I can directly with the cruiseline. This goes for all my vacations. I can normally dig up a deal where ever it is I am planning to go. It just takes a little patience and a lot of digging.

DW and some co-workers booked a package to Vegas with a big Internet agency that rhymes with encyclopedia. When the airlines changed the flight times by 12 hourss, they could no longer use the flights, and asked the TA to assist with getting them on a flight that was closer to the time they booked.

The TA told them it would cost $20 per hour for them to try and work out the problem. Instead, they just said to forget it and got the TA to refund the package.

I know airlines change flights all the time, and it is pretty easy to deal with that - I have done it many times, but having booked through a TA, the airlines won't work with you. And the TA wants to get paid for the time they spend on it? Hogwash!

...then call the 800 number (with deckplan in front of you) and let a PVP help you. Often they can suggest a pricing or booking option that you might not be aware of when booking on-line. It doesn't cost anymore using a Carnival PVP than on-line.

Keep in mind that the 800 CARNIVAL number will not give you access to a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). Regular reservation agents, or CVS (whose main job is to take inbound calls and make reservations) can be reached by calling 800-CARNIVAL.

Carnival has a separate phone line for Personal Vacation Planners, whose duties go beyond those of reservation agents (CVS). Once you get a PVP, they are your PVP. Their main goal is to research the guests in their database, keep a detailed profile based on their past cruising history and current preferences, and overall, create a relationship with the guest. They have the capability of calling you with anything from assistance with your reservations, to your welcome home call. Their level of experience in the travel industry as well as education is also much higher than the agents manning the 1-800-CARNIVAL line (which normally doesn't require travel experience or a college education).

With that said, some us have been blessed with awesome PVP's, but others in these boards haven't been so lucky. My best piece of advice is to shop around, talk to different people, and book with the one that you feel most comfortable with.

Best of luck!

I had a call from one of the PVP's about a month ago. I never called back though, because I am not ready to book yet. I figured I'd call back when I have exact dates. They just called after I set up an account on their website and started looking at certain itineraries, and ships.

I booked through a Big Top store C______O, and they were far cheaper than Carnival. I have yet to get a good rate from Carnival ever. I don't trust online booking due to my own paranoia...like who are you going to call? Also, the travel insurance we got was far cheaper than what Carnival offered. It does pay to shop around.

Yes, they do offer a good initial price, however they do charge a $25.00 fee for any changes and thats per change. So far its cost me $50.00 in fees for two early saver price change requests.

Yes, they do offer a good initial price, however they do charge a $25.00 fee for any changes and thats per change. So far its cost me $50.00 in fees for two early saver price change requests.

Some of these internet TA's are charging $100/per person to cancel a reservation outside of the cruise line's regular penalty period

I used one of these big internet cruise agencies ONCE, and it was enough. I booked a year in advance, and had to make some changes. Before it was all said and done, I had spent about $150 on bogus penalties which I would've never been charged if I had booked directly with the cruise line.

Morale of the story: Some of these big interent agencies may be offering an upfront discount, but they will surely find a way to get their money back somehow...

Morale of the story: Some of these big interent agencies may be offering an upfront discount, but they will surely find a way to get their money back somehow...

It is important to ask about fees before making a booking. You don't want to pay a fee to process an Early Saver price drop, cancel, speak with someone, etc. I found a TA that does not have any fees and saves me about 10% off the price vs booking direct. I have completed 2 cruises with them and have 3 more booked. Plus very good customer service. Just like with anything, some are better than others.

DH and I always used to use a local TA. I used to get impatient though when we would ask him about prices for certain cruises and it would be a month before he got back to us.

Last couple of cruises have been cruisecritic group cruises booked with a certain on-line agency, great rates, cain credit and amenities. I like booking those.

And I recently booked an RCCL cruise for next year using a different on-line agency. I had been looking on RCCL's site and about 3 other on-line agencies. This agency was offering the same price as everyone else but also prepaid gratuities on the cheapest categery cabin and no booking fees. I went for it.

I don't think I need a TA anymore.

Archived