Menu...help

SraLiz

I was on another site and just saw the Eastern CP menu. I don't want to say yuck...but.

I love food. I love exotic, different and traditional dishes. I have traveled to Europe and South America and have always found the food to be outstanding. Felit and lobster are not a treat for me, as my family has always eaten well. What ever we want, we order. (don't laugh, I know you are thinking I must weigh 1000 lbs! ha ha )

I have only cruised once, the Century, and loved all the dining room food. The choices were awesome and I could always find 2 or 3 things I liked.

I can't believe that: 1) no felit is served in the dining room, 2)they serve turkey and dressing??? 3)only one choice for salad 4) pot roast is actually a choice?

Please tell me the menu I was looking at is wrong? I guess I will be eating at Sterlings every night! I also read someones account of the seafood buffet as being water logged? True?

We were on Golden Princess on Christmas and I have to say there isn't much to rave about what comes to the food. And yes, there was always only one salad to choose from at dinner. The food is one of the reasons we are going back to Celebrity, though we had otherwise great cruise.

I was on another site and just saw the Eastern CP menu. I don't want to say yuck...but.

I love food. I love exotic, different and traditional dishes. I have traveled to Europe and South America and have always found the food to be outstanding. Felit and lobster are not a treat for me, as my family has always eaten well. What ever we want, we order. (don't laugh, I know you are thinking I must weigh 1000 lbs! ha ha )

I have only cruised once, the Century, and loved all the dining room food. The choices were awesome and I could always find 2 or 3 things I liked.

I can't believe that: 1) no felit is served in the dining room, 2)they serve turkey and dressing??? 3)only one choice for salad 4) pot roast is actually a choice?

Please tell me the menu I was looking at is wrong? I guess I will be eating at Sterlings every night! I also read someones account of the seafood buffet as being water logged? True?

Hi!

We were on the Coral for the 12/10-12/20 Panama Canal cruise and, while I agree that Celebrity offers superior cuisine, there are more choices than you saw. There are selection that are always available - sirloin steak, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, grilled salmon, etc.

Hopefully this provides some additional choices. I have a full review and cruise thread posted.

Have a great cruise!

SraLiz:

What site did you see the CP menu on? I'm interested in taking a look - we're on the CP in April. I also have never heard of felit - could you let us know what that is? Much appreciated!!

Since it was used in conjunction with "lobster," I thought the poster meant "filet" (as in filet mignon).

While "filet mignon" may not be served in the dining room, I believe that "Beef Wellington" is offered at least once during each cruise. This is a filet of beef that is wrapped in puff pastry with pate' and mushrooms - very elegant!

Chris

Please tell me the menu I was looking at is wrong?

I would suggest you cancel your booking immediately.

The first formal night has a dish called tournedos of beef which is basically a filet with a sauce and mushrooms --- it's pretty good, as I recall. Re: salads, a ceasar salad is always available in addition to the salad of the day, so that makes two choices. And the turkey with dressing is much more creative than the typical American dinner. My husband and I have enjoyed the prime rib, the veal chop on Italian night, the filet, the seafood turnover on the first night, and most of the fish dinners (esp. the orange roughy.) It's really not so bad ----

The first formal night has a dish called tournedos of beef which is basically a filet with a sauce and mushrooms --- it's pretty good, as I recall. Re: salads, a ceasar salad is always available in addition to the salad of the day, so that makes two choices. And the turkey with dressing is much more creative than the typical American dinner. My husband and I have enjoyed the prime rib, the veal chop on Italian night, the filet, the seafood turnover on the first night, and most of the fish dinners (esp. the orange roughy.) It's really not so bad ----

Cynbar is correct - the tornados of beef is a filet and very good.

I am surprised you think serving turkey with dressing is a bad thing - they serve it on the last night where "American food" is pretty much the theme.

Interesting enough - I found my food on Celebrity to look pretty but didn't have much flavor. I prefer Princess food to Celebrity's.

The pastas on Princess are excellent - definitely try them.

Chris and Tom- Thanks for the polite spelling correction. Yes I mean Filet. Sorry.

AliceJ- the site I was on is http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com

I usually love reading these boards, although I don't post often. I am new to cruising and like learning as much as possible before the trip.

bdjam- thanks (I think) for the curt response. I appreciate you being helpful.

Have a great day-

Liz

AliceJ- the site I was on is http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com

This is a nice website- they did a good job. Unfortunately, they didn't scan the left side of the menu which includes the healthy choice menu, the vegetarian menu and the always available menu (which includes less exciting items but does include shrimp cocktail, chicken breast, ceasar salad, sirlion steak and salmon each night).

The Healthy Choice and Vegetarian Menus often have some of the same items from the right side of the menu but also has a few different items. The always available is also on the left side right now. I couldn't find a good example.

bdjam- thanks (I think) for the curt response. I appreciate you being helpful.

Maybe not phrased in the *nicest* possible way, but I hope you grasp bdjam's point. :rolleyes: I can't say that I disagree.

You sound as though you have exceedingly high standards in every regard, and you may be in for a big disappointment on Princess. If absolutely nothing appeals to you on any of the ship's menus, you should seriously consider sticking with Celebrity - a known quantity from your previous experience with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

We're just back from a holiday cruise on Celebrity. The food is outstanding--a little notch above Princess--but we've never starved on Princess either, and I missed the dessert souffles. (Although I had creme brulee three times, and that almost makes up for it.) Celebrity offered two salad options each night. Princess does this--but one is the always available caesar salad. One of the women at our table ordered a special salad each night because she did not like the ones listed. She had lettuce with cucumber, tomatoes, and carrots.

Celebrity doesn't list shrimp cocktail on the menu, but it is always available. I frequently ordered a double one instead of a salad. Service on Celebrity is a little better--with a wine steward serving wine, so the assistant waiter doesn't have to do that job as well. The turkey on Princess is great--much better than the pheasant or duck.

What would you like to see on the menu?

Archived