Heathrow to JFK - 5 hrs wait for next flight

We are flying from Heathrow to JFK then on to San Juan to pick the cruise up.

American Airlines have altered our flight so now we have 5 hours in JFK, can anyone tell me if they hold you in a transit lounge or are you at liberty to go outside into the main airport or even outside the airport.

If you can exit the airport completely are there any places we could visit in a couple of hours and be back in time for our next flight.

Most of your time will likely be tied up with US border controls and immigration inspections. You will then collect your bags and go through customs, after which it will be re-checked. Since you have touched your luggage even though very briefly and in a secure environment, you will still have to go through TSA inspection before you can proceed to your next flight. This entire process will consume most of your time.

If you then decide to go outside even for a minute, you will have to go through the TSA inspection again.

I would not suggest leaving the airport. There's not much of any real interest around there and traffic can be a nightmare depending on the day and time you are there. Couple that with the security procedures at the airport and you won't have time to do or see much.

American Airlines have altered our flight so now we have 5 hours in JFK, can anyone tell me if they hold you in a transit lounge or are you at liberty to go outside into the main airport or even outside the airport.

If you can exit the airport completely are there any places we could visit in a couple of hours and be back in time for our next flight.

After queuing for hours for customs/immigration and getting your fingerprints and photograph recorded, you then must collect your luggage. You then need to check the luggage in again at the little AA desk, then you walk through the doors into the arrivals hall. You go upstairs and then wait in line again for the security checks - taking off shoes,belts etc .....before you are back at your gate.

To be honest after this farcical process you have little time left.

Besides having no concept of being 'in transit', the US has no concept of duty free shopping as we do - expect one small shop and a Hudsons Newsagent and a few eateries.

Remember to do your ESTA!

When we booked the cruise the flight was incorporated in the price so I assumed that our checked in luggage would be automatically transferred from one aircraft to the other (both AA) and that we would not collect it until we got to San Juan. Is that not the case - do they make you collect at JFK even though it has been through all the security scanning checks at Heathrow.

Thanks for all the answers - Good god it sounds absolutely OTT

When we booked the cruise the flight was incorporated in the price so I assumed that our checked in luggage would be automatically transferred from one aircraft to the other (both AA) and that we would not collect it until we got to San Juan. Is that not the case - do they make you collect at JFK even though it has been through all the security scanning checks at Heathrow.

Hi,

Yeah, you have to clear customs at the first US airport you hit. I havent transferred at JFK but have done a few times at Chicago, it sounds a nightmare but isnt too bad!

It might be worth checking AA website or giving them a call to see if there is a better connection - I've been able to do that before with no problem ,they just email you out your new e-ticket.

On the way home though your luggage will be checked straight through to Heathrow (assuming your also returning on AA!)

Yes, you must collect the luggage and check it in again.

Thanks for your help. Feeling a bit better now. We had to do the passport and immigration bit in LA a couple of years ago but did not have to collect our bags as we were getting back on the same plane. It was an absolute nightmare but reading your replies I feel a lot more happier.

Actually, it is not as bad as it sounds. You get your luggage, then walk a very short distance to a conveyor belt where it is put back into the system.

Yeah, I agree, it usually isn't too bad. Just remember to pack any duty free liquor you may have purchased at LHR or onboard the inbound flight into your checked luggage before giving it up. You will be restricted on the amount of liquids again when passing through security with your hand luggage.

Have a great trip ! :)

How much time did they alter your flight by? If more than 90 minutes, you may be able to use it to your advantage to get them to change your flights or routing to something that looks better to you.

Also, keep in mind that even american airlines, such as American Airlines, have to follow EU rules on flights that depart from EU countries.

They brought our first leg forward by 1hr 45 mins and the second leg they put back by 2 hrs. but like I said before the flights were arranged through RCCL when we booked so don't really hold out much hope of a change now. I think I will contact RCCL and see if they can offer any alternative. If we try to do it through AA direct I am not sure what would happen about the transfer from airport to hotel on arriving at San Juan.

Thanks again for your input.

They brought our first leg forward by 1hr 45 mins and the second leg they put back by 2 hrs. but like I said before the flights were arranged through RCCL when we booked so don't really hold out much hope of a change now. I think I will contact RCCL and see if they can offer any alternative. If we try to do it through AA direct I am not sure what would happen about the transfer from airport to hotel on arriving at San Juan.

Thanks again for your input.

If they offer Miami as an alternative don't take it. We are from San Juan and clearing customs at Miami was a nightmare a couple of years ago. New York and Boston are much better.

I would definitely call RCI and explain that AA has completely messed up your flight connection and ask them to see if they can get you a better connection.

Since RCI booked your air, AA will not talk with you and they will redirect you to the cruise line.

Good luck.

Archived