Anyone ever cruise alone? help!

darmik

We have a girls cruise planned for later this week. Me and my best friend, no kids, no husbands, just us. So she calls this morning and says that she is having terrible pain in her stomache and is headed to the ER. She thinks it may be gall bladder.

I know there is no way to change travelers, so has anyone sailed alone? I have the travel insurance, and I think I would be ok to cancel if she is unable to travel, but I really need this vacation. I mean I really need it. So, I am thinking if she can;t go, maybe I still will.

Anyone here ever traveled alone?

I am pretty resourceful, used to traveling for business, and would not be stressed at all to do it, I just wonder what it would be like to be alone for the whole 5 days. So do tell.

We have a girls cruise planned for later this week. Me and my best friend, no kids, no husbands, just us. So she calls this morning and says that she is having terrible pain in her stomache and is headed to the ER. She thinks it may be gall bladder.

I know there is no way to change travelers, so has anyone sailed alone? I have the travel insurance, and I think I would be ok to cancel if she is unable to travel, but I really need this vacation. I mean I really need it. So, I am thinking if she can;t go, maybe I still will.

I am pretty resourceful, used to traveling for business, and would not be stressed at all to do it, I just wonder what it would be like to be alone for the whole 5 days. So do tell.

I think you can possibly transfer the reservation. Maybe call RCCL and ask about this. Then maybe your husband could go with you??? Just an idea.

I'm doing my first "loner" in December. Frankly, I am looking forward to a little down time. However, I figure I will be alone as much as I want to be. We've got cruise critic activities planned, etc. I'm doing a cooking school excursion so I'll be interacting with others there. I always seem to interact with my neighbors if I sun out on the decks. If you have an assigned dining table, you'll be with others for dinner. If you choose an onboard activity like a napkin folding class, you'll be interacting there too. Just go and have fun!

(I do hope your friend feels much better though and that the two of you can enjoy the cruise you planned together.)

I've done it before. For just the same reason. I truly needed a break and my DH sent me on a cruise by myself as a birthday present.

I loved it! It was a great way to get away by myself. I could do anything I wanted...anytime I wanted.

One day, I spent the bulk of the day just laying in bed watching movies and ordering room service. LOL!

I did book my excursions through the cruiseline...for an added sense of security. But, I also wandered around shopping by myself close to the port.

At night, I would go to several of the smaller venues...where I ended up meeting people and hanging out with them in the evenings when I felt like it.

I did not eat in the dining room. I went the first night, and for some reason RCCL had put me at a table with a bunch of honeymooners. LOL...you can imagine how that conversation went, "So...why are you on the cruise by yourself???" "Oh, because if I didn't get away from my family, my husband was afraid my head was going to explode!"

I probably could've asked for a change of tables, but I'm honestly not a big fan of the dining room, so I just hit the Windjammer for dinner when I felt like eating.

I think the best part of the whole trip was the absolute sense of freedom...no one was counting on me for ANYTHING. I did check in via email once a day to make sure nothing important was happening at home. But, my DH was good about NOT including any of the daily stresses in the email.

Since we leave Saturday, I am very doubtful I could get the name changed, and we may not even know until the last minute whether she could go. I think I have decided to bite the bullet and go, even if it is just me.

I may or may not eat in the dining room - was thinking maybe of seeing how I like my companions the first night. And we do have a little meets thread going, so hopefully will meet some people that way. I plan to read a lot, take my knitting (maybe I can finally finish that sweater I have been working on for 6 months), and sun myself. I'll definately check out some of the activities too. Thanks all!

Call RCI and ask if you can change. I am pretty sure you have up until 3 days prior to sailing to change the name on your reservation. The other thing to consider is flights. If you are flying to the port, you will not be able to change the name on a flight, the new person would need a new ticket.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully she'll be better by the weekend. If not, by all means go by yourself! I only travel solo and can't imagine doing it any other way. The freedom to do what you want, when you want is great. The nice thing about cruises is that if you are outgoing at all you will be able to meet lots of great people. Go, and enjoy:)

I would definitely go alone!!

I've travelled many countries alone.... and had a great time!!

You don't have to do anything you want to.... and can please yourself.... be as social or antisocial as you want... and there are usually other ladies cruising alone!

Go for it.... and have a blast!!! :)

I've done 1 solo cruise & 1 solo trip to Vegas & would do a cruise solo over a land trip any day!! People on cruises for the most part are so friendly & really easy to talk to....plus the freedom to do what you want..when you want is wonderful!!:D

Your friend will know for sure today if it is her gall bladder. Then you can decide if you want to do this alone. I am sure you will be fine. She can just be thankful that it happened now and not when she was on the cruise ! I had my gall bladder out in August and I am so glad it happened then and not when we cruise.

Have fun !!!!!

Go have fun! I've cruised solo 10 times. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Go where you want, when you want. Have a blast, meet new people. Sorry about your friend's illness though. Enjoy!!

I'm not sure cruising alone would be as much fun as having a "buddy" along....who do you share your experiences with? Who do you "ooh and aah" with about the gorgeous sights?

I mean, I have no compunction about doing most things alone, but a whole cruise?....I'd try to find a way to have someone come with me!

You can have her name switched 2 days prior to sailing date. Last year my sister decided not to go on the Mariner with us 3 days prior to cruising.

We had reserved 2 cabins, one for me and my partner, and the other one was supposed to be my sister and her companion's. Since my sister decided not to go last minute, I called RCCL and they told me I could get another person to go as long as I had the names switched 48 hours prior to sailing.

Sadly, everybody was too busy or couldn't leave for 7 days with such a short notice, so my sister's companion ended up having the room to himself and enjoying it!

Sorry to hear about your friend's illness... but you may be surprised how much fun you can have as a solo. Did you sign up for the Meet & Mingle? You may still have time - and go to it! You will meet some folks that you'll see all week. Also sign up for the roll call. One thing to remember is that most people you meet will remember your name and the fact that you are solo. The cruise "community" is very accepting of solo travelers! Check out the Solo Travelers board here on CC for ideas on what to do. Do you have "assigned" dining (rather than My Time Dining)? That is a good way to meet people too, since you will see them at dinner every night and will probably share your daily experiences. I've met some delightful and interesting people at dinner. I usually take ship excursions when I am visiting a port for the first time, just to get my bearings. And that's another place you will probably meet people.

Most of my cruises have been solo. I'm divorced and refuse to wait at home for Mr Wonderful to come along and take me places. Sometimes it would be nice to have someone to relate to, but you will meet people on board if you put yourself out there a bit. Remember - you already have something in common with everyone on board: you want to enjoy your vacation!

And I saved the best for last... you will have your own bathroom... your own closet... your own cabin where someone makes your bed for you... room service at your beck and call... the list goes on and on!

Enjoy!!

Liz

Please do keep us posted, no matter what happens. All too often a "newbie" comes aboard to give us an interesting dilemma to pore over, and then we never find out the end result.

As for me, I'd be out there on that ship solo SO fast no one would know what hit them! Good luck!

I'm not sure cruising alone would be as much fun as having a "buddy" along....who do you share your experiences with? Who do you "ooh and aah" with about the gorgeous sights?

I mean, I have no compunction about doing most things alone, but a whole cruise?....I'd try to find a way to have someone come with me!

I love cruising alone..that way I am on MY schedule..not waiting on another person..the only time I cruised with some one that person took 2 hours trying to figure out what to wear to dinner..we were late..started out at 7 am have breakfast and go ashore..got off the book at 1pm..never again..as for the ooh and ahh.. lots of people aboard

I cruise alone prob 99% of the time....not always by choice, but just the way it is.....I admit some evenings when there are couples all around it can be a little lonely, BUT! I am very used to it now and when you can do what you want, not have to wait for others or try to make others in your group "happy" ..you only have to think of YOU...its fab!!

Do what YOU want, see what YOU want, get up/go to bed when YOU want etc....LOVE IT! Go for it, you will not be disappointed, and it may make you feel like doing it again...alone.... :)

Most of my cruises have been as a single in the cabin, even if I am travelling with friends or family. I love having the cabin to myself.

You might be able to be seated at a large table for single travellers if you ask. I think that possibly would be more fun than being seated with two or three couples.

I hope your friend gets better and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Well, good news, looks like my friend is going to be ok to sail. ALthough it is probably gallbladder issues, the attack she had has subsided and the doc thinks she'll be fine to sail, as long as she watches the food. (Staying away from fatty foods).

Leaving tomorrow!!

Glad to hear your friend is okay and will be able to travel.....just thought I'd tell you about the first time I ever set foot on a cruise ship (about 15 years ago)....I was travelling alone. Having just gone through a rough patch, I just needed a few days away, I was kinda broke, and everyone told me that a cruise was the cheapest most relaxing 'vacation' available, and since I lived (and still do) in Miami, there was no additional cost of airfare, etc. Anyway....I walk on board and at first am overwhelmed by the stark difference of the gangway onto the ship, how beautiful....UNTIL......I notice a crowd onboard, around and just to the right, that's marked off in yellow police tape, with the outline of a body marked on the carpet. Well, I nearly freaked out!!! UNTIL ...... I noticed a sign that said it was a mystery cruise!! The TA had never mentioned that!! I'll never forget it!!! It was on the no longer existing Dolphin Cruiseline. So, my first cruise was on my own, with a supposed 'dead body' onboard.....and I loved every minute of it......

M.

Archived