Stock holders OBC situation?

jimjamxx

Below is the reply from my TA about seeing my stock holders OBC on "My Documents".

Has this happen to anyone else?

JimmyJames

Jimmy James,

"Spoke with Carnival. Your $100 is posted to your booking. They said you or I are not able to view it because there is a special code on their end internally and the ship's coordinator has also been notified. I asked for some type of confirmation in writing and was told they have nothing to "print" since it is a code with special notes. Not sure if you're ok with that, but it is processed and on your booking. I will call the 800 number if you want something concrete...just let me know!"

You cant view it on modify bookings, but you can see it on edocs... never fear. When you look at edocs look at page 6 for credits.

Anyone who doesnt book direct cant see the details you can if you book thru Carnival, its true.

I booked with a friend/TA. I did look at page 6 on edocs.

Nothing showing

JimmyJames

I booked with a friend/TA. I did look at page 6 on edocs.

Nothing showing

JimmyJames

jimjamxx,

The folks at Carnival who apply the credit told me they only apply the credit two weeks prior to cruises now instead of when approved. Mine didn't show up on my Documents for cruises earlier this month until the week before.

Not to worry....I have had it show on my edocs and then I have had other cruises where it did NOT show up on my edocs.....but was applied to the cruise when I got there.

I always carry a copy of my financial statement (showing that I currently own 100 shares of Carnival stock) with me...just in case.

jimjamxx,

The folks at Carnival who apply the credit told me they only apply the credit two weeks prior to cruises now instead of when approved. Mine didn't show up on my Documents for cruises earlier this month until the week before.

Thanks for your input. We sail on November 21st on the Carnival Triumph second sailing from New Orleans(our home port 30 minutes away)

JimmyJames

PS> BY the way, I love your B2B cruise review. I check your updates daily.

Thanks

TO" VACRUIZER and LHP:

Thanks for your response. As I stated above, I will look for the OBC closer to sailing time (Nov 21st, 2009).

Although our TA is a very good friend and will be on this cruise with 35 of our friends, I knew that I could get the correct info here at CC.

JimmyJames

PS> I was worry just a little bit about the stockholders OBC ,

because I also have the military rate. It is not my first time with the military rate but the first time with the stockholders OBC.

Thanks again my CC friends.!!!

I used to receive a letter in my stateroom saying the credit had been applied to my onboard account. However, on my last cruise this past March I did not get the letter and it never showed on my statement. When I got back home I sent Carnival an email questioning this and they responded that they would be placing a $100 credit on my credit card. I checked my online credit card statement and the $100 credit was there.

I also never send the shareholder credit info through my TA. I always send it directly to Carnival.

Can I ask a question? If I buy 100 shares of CCL I get this credit? Is it per cruise or only once,,and what if my wife also bought 100 shares?

100 shares =for a 7 day cruise is per each cabin.($100.00USD)

Key word here is PER cabin/room.

I did not buy Carnival Stock for the OBC. I think it was/is a good investment.

I bought 50 shares 2001 for $16.00 a share. Then bought 55 shares at $24.00..

I think it is now about $33.00 a share.

Do the math.

JimmyJames

PS> Thanks to all that responded.

Can I ask a question? If I buy 100 shares of CCL I get this credit? Is it per cruise or only once,,and what if my wife also bought 100 shares?

100 shares get you the obc per cruise as long as you have 100 shares, but it is per cabin not per person. The amount of obc depends on the number of days of your cruise.

Hope this helps.

A few other points about the shareholder credit.

- You can use the credit on any cruise line Carnival Corp owns so you are not just limited to Carnival Cruises.

-The shareholder credit is $50 for a cruise up to 6 days, $100 for a 7-14 day cruise, and $250 for a cruise of 14 days or longer.

With all the other cutbacks Carnival is making I'm surprised this hasn't been cut also. I wonder how many cruisers actually take advantage of this?

IMHO I would be rather surprised if Carnival did away with this. They are likely well aware that many people hold their stock just for the purpose of obtaining the OBC. If it were no longer available, they might have a situation where many people are unloading their shares (possibly to turn into RCI stock!), causing a drop in the stock price. I'm not a market expert but it seems that most American corporations would do anything to prevent a stock price drop. I'd expect cuts in other areas first.

IMHO I would be rather surprised if Carnival did away with this. They are likely well aware that many people hold their stock just for the purpose of obtaining the OBC. If it were no longer available, they might have a situation where many people are unloading their shares (possibly to turn into RCI stock!), causing a drop in the stock price. I'm not a market expert but it seems that most American corporations would do anything to prevent a stock price drop. I'd expect cuts in other areas first.

Good point, however they did stop paying a dividend to save money.

I second the recommendation that no one ever buys the stock just for the OBC UNLESS you can get 10% per year return on your investment.

AND IF the stock tanks and you lose all your money...it won't hurt you financially.

We have had it for YEARS....and get at least a 10% return every year...tax free. woo hoo!!!

I've cruised on the military rate for years, and have had the stockholders OBC for the past 5 cruises. Never a problem. I do carry a copy of my latest statement to prove ownership, but have never had to use it.

Now that Carnival has cut the dividend, the OBC is the only reason I still own it. Not sure I would buy now, but I'll keep holding until I quit cruising (like that will ever happen).

Archived