Considering a Regent Cruise - Question about Attire

Sunviking

OBTW, Santa - I think you misunderstood. That bottle of green stuff you left was "whirled peas," not what I wanted. I haven't been so bad this year that I should go 0 for 3; can we renegotiate? Thanks anyway (and those weren't raisins in the cookies, either).

LOL!

Thank you for the replies to my query. We've decided to try something new and have booked the Voyager 15 night Trans-Atlantic next November. We've been Princess cruisers for a long time but we thought we needed a change. From what I've seen here we may never want to change back.

Thank you for the replies to my query. We've decided to try something new and have booked the Voyager 15 night Trans-Atlantic next November. We've been Princess cruisers for a long time but we thought we needed a change. From what I've seen here we may never want to change back.

I have never done a trans-Atlantic cruise, because I am a port fanatic. But having said that, if I were to go on any cruise just to enjoy the ship itself...it would absolutely have to be one of Regent's. You're making a good choice!

I have never done a trans-Atlantic cruise, because I am a port fanatic. But having said that, if I were to go on any cruise just to enjoy the ship itself...it would absolutely have to be one of Regent's. You're making a good choice!

Thanks for your replies. While we too enjoy ports, the westward bound sea days crossing the Atlantic are a wonderful way to avoid jet lag. We have done the Venice to FLL cruise on Princess for three years in a row. The ports were pretty much the same but there are so many things to see in each of them that we had little repetition unless it was our choice to see something again. The Voyager T/A goes to some places we haven't been. I lived in Spain for six years so I've seen all of the places we'll stop (with the exception of Madeira) but my DH hasn't. I'm looking forward to showing him some of my favorite sights!

Reading dress code threads really fills the time! I was just wondering if anyone had been denied access to the main dining room due to dress code violation or has seen anyone turned away. I have seen folks in jeans in the dining room on every Regent cruise I have been on. I am not sure I know what convertable hiking pants are.

I think convertible hiking pants are those with the ability to unzip the lower legs to convert them to shorts. They usually have cargo pockets, as well. I have some from TravelSmith that fit nicely and look good, but I wouldn't wear them as evening wear anywhere except in an RV park.

Reading dress code threads really fills the time! I was just wondering if anyone had been denied access to the main dining room due to dress code violation or has seen anyone turned away. I have seen folks in jeans in the dining room on every Regent cruise I have been on. I am not sure I know what convertable hiking pants are.

People who are obsessed with dress codes and love to argue about it will get bored quickly on a Regent thread. I am sure Regent's dining rooms would never turn anybody away in jeans or cargo pants. And I am sure the fellow passengers won't give a flying flip what anybody else is wearing.

I am sure Regent's dining rooms would never turn anybody away in jeans or cargo pants.

They would never have occasion to. It wouldn't occur to Regent passengers to dress that way for dinner. I simply haven't seen it, even on a "casual" route like the Western Caribbean

People who are obsessed with dress codes and love to argue about it will get bored quickly on a Regent thread. I am sure Regent's dining rooms would never turn anybody away in jeans or cargo pants. And I am sure the fellow passengers won't give a flying flip what anybody else is wearing.

I have seen someone turned away more than once for wearing jeans--it was on a formal night once and CCC the other time.

They would never have occasion to. It wouldn't occur to Regent passengers to dress that way for dinner. I simply haven't seen it, even on a "casual" route like the Western Caribbean

I agree. We just got off Regent's Paul Gauguin in Tahiti a few days ago. In the dining rooms, nobody wore jeans to dinner, and nobody wore shorts. And I am willing to bet it had nothing to do with following any rules. They just know better.

There were a few ladies in capris with cute Hawaiian print tops, but they weren't exactly looking as if they just came from the beach. They took the trouble to look presentable, with their hair done a little, a little makeup, and attractive accessories. Lots of black pearls bought in port. As a matter of fact, one night we were laughing at how almost every lady had on black pearls!

To be honest, those ladies who wore capris could have just as easily been wearing cargo pants or convertibles instead and I bet nobody would have noticed. People on the ship had a nice sense of casual style, and it seems to carry over to all Regent ships I have sailed on.

Reading dress code threads really fills the time! I was just wondering if anyone had been denied access to the main dining room due to dress code violation or has seen anyone turned away.

On our Mariner cruise last November my wife and I were in the Mariner Lounge waiting for some friends. It was a formal night. A man walked through the lounge towards Compass Rose wearing gray slacks and a white dress shirt without a tie. A couple of minutes later, he walked back through the Mariner Lounge. A short time later, the man again walked through the Mariner Lounge. He had put on a blue blazer. He did not walk through the lounge again so I presume he was allowed into Compass Rose because he had put on a jacket.

Dave

This thread is so sad. We have many serious issues in the US, and the energy wasted on dress codes is indicative of the arrogance and excess of today's society. There is a need for self introspection on what really matters. Oceaniana got the message, Regent will follow.

Oh please. You are calling our discussion sad? Is it sad because you disagree with the points made, or sad because we're talking about fashion while all these terrible things are happening in the US? Should we discuss politics instead, in your opinion? Psst - look around - you are in a cruise board.

There will always be discussions about style and fashion. Just like art it endures during good times and bad, and that's not a bad thing. Nor is it arrogant. No...arrogant is telling other people that they should be more self introspective.

And please enlighten us as to what you think "really matters", so we won't be "wasting energy" as you put it.

Since we have just booked our first RSSC cruise, I am new to this Board although I have spent quite a bit of time on the Princess Board and on several Princess Roll Calls. I 'm somewhat confused by the quoted remarks of gfranzen. On the other cruise line boards the discussion revolves around topics related to aspects of cruising, not world problems or politics, because 1) to do the latter will usually warrant a warning from the moderator, 2) there are other more appropriate places to discuss the weighty issues of the world (though I have yet to see one that has solved them) and 3) Cruise Critic is, after all, a place to talk about cruising. On the Roll Calls for various cruises the discussions are generally much more free-wheeling for those who choose to participate. People have an opportunity to get to know their fellow passengers and arrange things like get-togethers and private tours.

Are there different parameters here? For those of us with no experience with RSSC, attire is a relevant question since we have seen such a variety of clothing on other ships. It is not a matter of arrogance but rather education and practicality in terms of what to pack.

Since we have just booked our first RSSC cruise, I am new to this Board although I have spent quite a bit of time on the Princess Board and on several Princess Roll Calls. I 'm somewhat confused by the quoted remarks of gfranzen. On the other cruise line boards the discussion revolves around topics related to aspects of cruising, not world problems or politics, because 1) to do the latter will usually warrant a warning from the moderator, 2) there are other more appropriate places to discuss the weighty issues of the world (though I have yet to see one that has solved them) and 3) Cruise Critic is, after all, a place to talk about cruising. On the Roll Calls for various cruises the discussions are generally much more free-wheeling for those who choose to participate. People have an opportunity to get to know their fellow passengers and arrange things like get-togethers and private tours.

Are there different parameters here? For those of us with no experience with RSSC, attire is a relevant question since we have seen such a variety of clothing on other ships. It is not a matter of arrogance but rather education and practicality in terms of what to pack.

AMEN! This is a cruise board, and of course we're here to talk cruise topics. Naturally that includes what one might wear on a ship.

No, RSSC does not have different parameters and people still wonder what to wear, just as with any other cruiseline. I have noticed, however, that for the most part Regent (and Regent passengers) seem to have a refreshingly relaxed attitude about it. I don't mean relaxed as in sloppy - I mean relaxed as in non-judgemental and not obsessed about what other people are wearing. If you are a little over or underdressed nobody will even notice. It's wonderful!

Yes, CC is a place where cruise subjects are discussed. Most regulars on the board happily answer the same questions over and over as there are new guests on the board all the time. The reason we are here is to help.

Just for the heck of it, try doing a search on "dress codes" on this board. After thousands and thousands of posts, Regent was kind enough to do a survey to determine what dress code their passengers preferred. The poll and further discussion went on for a month. The result was overwhelmingly for "Elegant Casual". Then Regent took it one step further and changed the dress code for all of their sailings in 2010.

So, none of us have yet sailed on an "Elegant Casual" cruise. Our best advice is simply to follow the guidelines set forth by Regent. The PG has always been more casual than the Regent ships (note: it is currently managed by Regent and will no longer be after this year. . . . so, the best place to find information on the PG is pgcruises.com).

In terms of being turned away because of dress code. . .. yes, it does happen -- on all three ships. When Regent states that it is not permitted, they mean it. And, from what I am reading, they will be quite strict once the new policy takes effect next year.

Sunviking seemed pleased with the responses earlier in the thread. While we are not trying to appear rude, we are hopeful that we might have a break from this one subject. . . . . if only for a few weeks . . . . until the dress code takes effect:o

Travelcat2,

I posted because someone mentioned that asking about attire is a relevant question for a newcomer. Therefore I suggested where a newcomer can get all the information he/she wants or needs or ever will need. I do hope that's okay with you.

No, RSSC does not have different parameters and people still wonder what to wear, just as with any other cruiseline. I have noticed, however, that for the most part Regent (and Regent passengers) seem to have a refreshingly relaxed attitude about it. I don't mean relaxed as in sloppy - I mean relaxed as in non-judgemental and not obsessed about what other people are wearing. If you are a little over or underdressed nobody will even notice. It's wonderful!

Before we sailed on our first trip to Alaska on Regent this summer , I asked a friend, who had just returned, what other folks were wearing for dinner. Her reply was that she did not even notice. I agree with the above responder..... It makes no difference to us what others are wearing as long as they are comfortable and meeting the dress codes as they interpret them.

Ain't it the truth LOL.

At least we don't usually see chair hog posts here.

It's true, we 'regulars' do tend to see the same posts over and over. And unfortunately some people in CC seem to take great pleasure in attacking anybody who dares to bring up a question about clothing, smoking, or...heaven forbid... saving a place by the pool.

But even though we've all heard the same questions about those topics a zillion times, I think it would be nice to remember that there really are newcomers out there. It's possible they have never posted on Cruise Critic before, and maybe they don't even know it's a frequently asked question. They may have never sailed with a particular cruiseline before, and they really and truly don't know what to wear on that cruiseline. For all we know, they might have never even cruised before and really need our help.

For that reason, I always give an answer to any such question a polite and compassionate answer, rather than a sarcastic "here we go again" type response. I never make fun of a person for asking one of those redundant questions, and I never tell a person to do a search when I can answer their question in a friendly way. I feel for them...because I remember what it was like to be new with 'dumb' questions.

I know there are trolls out there who stir the pot just to get an emotional response, but I think we're all smart enough to tell the difference.

It's true, we 'regulars' do tend to see the same posts over and over. And unfortunately some people in CC seem to take great pleasure in attacking anybody who dares to bring up a question about clothing, smoking, or...heaven forbid... saving a place by the pool.

But even though we've all heard the same questions about those topics a zillion times, I think it would be nice to remember that there really are newcomers out there. It's possible they have never posted on Cruise Critic before, and maybe they don't even know it's a frequently asked question. They may have never sailed with a particular cruiseline before, and they really and truly don't know what to wear on that cruiseline. For all we know, they might have never even cruised before and really need our help.

For that reason, I always give an answer to any such question a polite and compassionate answer, rather than a sarcastic "here we go again" type response. I never make fun of a person for asking one of those redundant questions, and I never tell a person to do a search when I can answer their question in a friendly way. I feel for them...because I remember what it was like to be new with 'dumb' questions.

I know there are trolls out there who stir the pot just to get an emotional response, but I think we're all smart enough to tell the difference.

I'm sorry if my post was misunderstood, it is certainly appropriate for newcomers to ask questions and recieve replies from knowledgeable members of this forum no matter how many times the question has been asked and answered on previous threads.

My point (not very well made) was that the OP acknowledged getting the information they needed and making an informed decision in Post 21 and now here we all are almost 2 pages later and no real value has been added since Post 21. This seems to be the way most threads like this go and that was my only issue.

Yet here I am adding to the problem I complain about. Please pardon me and have happy sailings.

Boy -- you hit the nail on the head;) Actually, some of those seeking an emotional response are no longer Regent customers -- they "visit" the Regent boards for exactly the reasons you stated.

Since the smoking restrictions were put into place a while ago, there has not been a smoking thread (probably over a year). It's odd that it was mentioned (it is a significant issue on the Silversea board). Saving seats by the pool is also a non-issue at Regent since they will remove people's belongings after a certain length of time (a half hour I think).

I felt that the biggest issues in 2009 were Regent's new computer system that may possibly be working correcting now (still not sure on that one). Also, the new "free excursions" that are being tried out on some itineraries since around June of this year. Dress codes was huge until last month (at least 50% of the threads were about polo shirts). Now the concern from the members who voted against "Elegant Casual" is that Regent will turn into a mainstream cruise line and lose it's luxury status. Most of us who voted for this change know that there is a whole lot more to being a luxury cruise line than wearing a tuxedo.

One more comment. . . . about searches. With the exception of yesterday, I do not recommend that people do a search (I did that for a reason that was relevant at the time). However, I do post links to boards where a person would probably get a better answer. The CC board is complex -- I didn't know it had a "Cruise Air" section until a couple of months ago. The "Port", "West and East Coast Departures" and a couple of others have much more information than the Regent board would ever have.

Guess this is way off topic (sorry Host Dan). In terms of dress code on Regent, until we see what 100% "Elegant Casual" looks like, it's hard to make recommendations. What it looks like to me is undoubtedly different to others. There have been more questions about "dress jeans" -- even though Regent specifically states "no jeans". As I have said before. . . Regent will ask you to return to your suite if it is after 6:00 p.m. and you are in jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc.

The one thing I have learned is that no matter what you or I say (or anyone else for that matter) things will remain the same. We just have to live with it and hope that we can get the information out to people who are truly seeking answers.

Archived