Considering a Regent Cruise - Question about Attire

Sunviking

I saw a thread about changes to RSSC's dress policy but I wasn't sure from looking at it what the answer to my question is. My husband and I are considering a cruise on Regent. We actually like to dress for dinner. The cruise we're contemplating is a 15 night one with all nights listed as Elegant Casual. We would probably like to dress formally on at least a couple of nights. Is this taboo? We have previously only cruised on large cruise lines and we are usually more dressed up than other passengers at dinner, but that's just what we like at dinnertime.

In my opinion, dressing up is a matter of personal preference and is not "taboo". If you go out to eat nowadays at a nice restaurant, you see folks dressed in a variety of fashions. You probably should expect the same on Regent. Some folks dress for dinner, some don't. On your 15 day itinerary, the new policy will include a formal optional night I guess which will probably mean that a higher percentage will dress, but I don't think it will be a majority.

As long as you are enjoying yourself, what difference does it make?

I agree that you can dress formally if you wish even though your cruise might be listed as entirely elegant casual. The dress code sets a minimum, not a maximum, standard.

One technical correction. Only cruise segments of 16 nights or longer have formal optional nights.

Dave

I have to disagree that you would be the only couple dressed formally. We will dress just about the same on our cruise next year (with the new guidelines) as we will on our cruise next month. Everyone is different. For instance, my DH will wear a jacket in Signatures and Prime 7. Some men will not.

The majority of passengers on Regent are repeat customers. They are aware of the "special" nights (Captain's Reception and Farewell) as well as the decor and service of the specialty restaurants. My guess is that 60+% of men will be dressed at least semi-formally on those nights.

We have to wait a couple of more months to see how it goes.

I think you should wear whatever makes you comfortable and not worry about what others think. Our group wore convertible hiking pants to many dinners. I think almost all cruisers will not elect to dress formally.

I think wearing convertible hiking pants is a little extreme for Elegant Casual. I would say you will be in the minorty if not the only ones.

I don't believe I've seen a single woman wearing a long formal gown on a Regent cruise since my first Paul Gauguin trip in 2000.

I also think convertible hiking pants a little extreme, but you could dress them up, I suppose.

My husband will gladly leave his jacket at home after our December trip--you won't catch him wearing one, anywhere. But he will be dressed nicely, I promise.

Sunviking, Have you looked at any of the World Cruise segments? I have been on quite a few segments through out the years. Many of those cruisers love to dress formally or dress into various theme costumes depending on what part of the world you're in. I think it might be the perfect fit and you sure won't feel over dressed. Even on shorter cruises, many men wear a sport coat to dinner many evenings.

I can't imagine hiking pants worn to dinner. I have never seen anything close to this and I hope I never do :eek:

Dear Santa,

Halloween is over and it's time to send you my Christmas list so here it is:

1. A ban on dress code threads

2. A program that allows forum members to read deleted posts

World peace

Thanks; that should do it. I'll have the cookies and milk ready.

KH

"Our group wore convertible hiking pants to many dinners."

Lordie, lordie, lordie - Although I am a total addict of REI/Patagonia/Columbia clothing and wear either cargo shorts or (if it's below zero) convertible hiking pants nearly all of the time at home, I would never for a moment consider wearing either to dinner on a Regent ship.

I admit that I am quite pleased with the new Regent dress code policy and don't intend to bring any jackets or ties on our two cruises in 2010. However, I will indeed bring respectable slacks and decent silk shirts (and maybe even shoes, despite my preference for bare feet).

All things considered, hiking gear just ain't elegant casual, by any reasonable definition.

Cheers, Fred

Some of us just want to keep within guidelines so we are not asked to leave. Most of us dress for ourselves and significant others -- not stangers on board a cruise ship.

In terms of the OP's question. The new Regent dress code is quite clear It's perfectly fine to dress up. . . . hiking pants are fine during the day -- not after 6. If there is really something that is unclear, we can discuss it. . or, this subject will go on my Christmas wish list as well:confused:

TC, apparently the above poster has not traveled on any luxury line. No way would he/she or the group get away with hiking convertibles on Regent, Seabourn , Silver Sea or Crystal. I am talking after 6:00 PM. During the day of course that mode of dress is fine.

When minimal decorum disappears, we are done with cruising. I am sure TC that you and your DH would look nice on any cruise.

I have always worn long formal gowns on formal nights on Regent. While I will not pack those unless there is a formal optional night on whatever cruise I take in the future, I like to dress very nicely every night. I do the same when going out to dinner in my hometown. I think most Regent cruisers will probably do the same.

I can't imagine anyone wearing convertible hiking pants to dinner on Regent. Even on my Celebrity Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos, I didn't see that. (But I was probably the most elegantly dressed woman most nights, just because I like to be.)

Dear Santa,

Halloween is over and it's time to send you my Christmas list so here it is:

1. A ban on dress code threads

2. A program that allows forum members to read deleted posts

World peace

Thanks; that should do it. I'll have the cookies and milk ready.

KH

Dear KH,

You ask too much. On your list only world peace is acheivable. Thanks for the cookies and milk.

Santa

xxx

TC, apparently the above poster has not traveled on any luxury line. No way would he/she or the group get away with hiking convertibles on Regent, Seabourn , Silver Sea or Crystal. I am talking after 6:00 PM. During the day of course that mode of dress is fine.

When minimal decorum disappears, we are done with cruising. I am sure TC that you and your DH would look nice on any cruise.

It is really nice when we agree:) Happy to see you on the Regent board!

Dear KH,

You ask too much. On your list only world peace is acheivable. Thanks for the cookies and milk.

Santa

xxx

Not to open a can of worms here but is it really??? Please no responses to my post! That is what she asked Santa for and hopefully he (Santa) will answer KH's list.

Well, I gather from reading here that if we choose to dress up that's okay. I like to get dressed up some nights and my husband (who wears a coat and tie every day to work) indulges me. So we'll pack what we like and go with our flow.

I think you will be totally fine.

I saw a thread about changes to RSSC's dress policy but I wasn't sure from looking at it what the answer to my question is. My husband and I are considering a cruise on Regent. We actually like to dress for dinner. The cruise we're contemplating is a 15 night one with all nights listed as Elegant Casual. We would probably like to dress formally on at least a couple of nights. Is this taboo? We have previously only cruised on large cruise lines and we are usually more dressed up than other passengers at dinner, but that's just what we like at dinnertime.

We cruise on Regent often, and I can vouch for what most posters have said: Dress up as much as you like. Some people wear formal attire even when others don't, and that's perfectly fine. Nobody is going to look at you as if you're dressed incorrectly. I would not wear 'cargo pants' to dinner, but that's just my personal preference. And on Regent I bet nobody would give you a funny look if you did. The beautiful thing about this cruise line is the absense of anything pretentious. Nobody is going to be judgemental if you are a little underdressed or overdressed. Just go and have fun!

... Please no responses to my post! That is what she asked Santa for and hopefully he (Santa) will answer KH's list.

Sorry, Lvtocruize2, but I gotta ask - Who's "she?" I'm guessing turtlemichael is male and I know I am.

OBTW, Santa - I think you misunderstood. That bottle of green stuff you left was "whirled peas," not what I wanted. I haven't been so bad this year that I should go 0 for 3; can we renegotiate? Thanks anyway (and those weren't raisins in the cookies, either).

Archived