Why Do you Choose NCL?

gooselover

Shhh... If everyone keeps saying the suites are so great they'll just raise the prices. :mad:

Honestly, the suites suck! Really. I mean it. They're awful. :rolleyes:

Especially the aft suites, they are just horrible and should just be used for storage! Nobody in their right mind should ever book one of these!:eek::rolleyes::D lol

Especially the aft suites, they are just horrible and should just be used for storage! Nobody in their right mind should ever book one of these!:eek::rolleyes::D lol

Umm, I have two of those booked right now. And one of them just went up by $300/pp this week!

Wow, your responses are wonderful!!! I have one last question....when you are all referring to "suites" - are you actually talking about suites or staterooms in general??? Could you be more specific? My DH and I enjoy the balconies, especially the aft balconies - is this what you would consider a "suite"?

Thanks again so much, I am thinking of cancelling our next cruise with another line and booking with NCL. I have to admit, all the goings on, etc etc., on the other lines do make you feel exhausted. I really am taking to heart what you are all talking about regarding the freestyle and how it is so much more relaxing.

Umm, I have two of those booked right now. And one of them just went up by $300/pp this week!

Oh you poor dear... I'm so sorry for you!:rolleyes: Isn't it horrible how you will have to sit out on your balcony with no wind? And to be subjected to hours of nothing to do but relax and watch the ships wake and gorgeous sunsets. ;)

We are taking our first cruise on NCL next month and I can tell you what made my decision to do so.

1) I was becoming very unhappy with RCL cut backs especially when they took away the combining benefits and the cutbacks continued on from there. Why cruise on a line where they continue to take things away was a question I kept asking myself.

2) Around that time we caught two TV programs on the Pearl and we both looked at each other and said gosh that looks like a great ship. So I went on this board to get more information and my worse fears were realized it was a great ship from what I read LOL. I called my TA up to book NCL Pearl and I think it was a lucky day because I was able to book a mini suite in the aft for an incredible price plus was given $400 OBC which astounded me even as a platinum member on RCL we were never given anywhere near or close to that amount. So I was a very happy cruiser with that.

3) What I liked about NCL were all those restaurants we really do not care much for the MDR in any of the ships we have taken, one of the reason we liked RCL was that they had two speciality restaurants and it broke up our week nicely now having 10 which includes the MDR we have many more options for dining and that suits us fine.

For us on our upcoming cruise it is a win-win situation. Great rate, unbelievable OBC, dining variety, no dress clothes and from what I read and what I saw from the TV program it looks to be a very nice ship. I am not a gambler but with those odds I am betting we are going to have a great time.

Wow, your responses are wonderful!!! I have one last question....when you are all referring to "suites" - are you actually talking about suites or staterooms in general??? Could you be more specific? My DH and I enjoy the balconies, especially the aft balconies - is this what you would consider a "suite"?

Thanks again so much, I am thinking of cancelling our next cruise with another line and booking with NCL. I have to admit, all the goings on, etc etc., on the other lines do make you feel exhausted. I really am taking to heart what you are all talking about regarding the freestyle and how it is so much more relaxing.

AE on most ships or above is a suite! Suites on NCL are FANTASTIC! You will never go back to anything less! I love quiet breakfasts with my husband at Cagneys....always the highlight of cruising suite for us.

We have been thinking about all the reasons we love NCL because we ARE planning to go on another cruise. For me, it goes back years and years ago to a ship I never got to cruise on, the Norway. It was a time that you went to the travel agent and booked your cruise. You got a beautiful color brochure and it was just a little piece of heaven! How far things have come, thanks to the internet! You have folks not only sharing experiences, but pictures and information that you would never have gotten out of those 40 or so pages, usually better than the cruise line website!

Our first NCL cruise was the Leeward and I was sold on NCL then. I really love them now that there is Freestyle. NCL has just the right amount of fun onboard without being intrusive to your vacation....you really are free to do...whatever! I also love the ship's decor inside and especially outside. I know people have said they don't care for the hull art, but I think that is what sets them apart from other lines, not to mention fun!

And yes, no one should EVER book an aft suite......they should just make all of them broom closets!:rolleyes::p:D

The GF and I or may I say me booked our first NCL cruise by mistake. She and I went on her first cruise with Carnival, which was ok considering I was in a wheel chair due to a broken ankle which she had to push me around.

To make up for it I was looking at other cruises and by mistake I put a temporary hold on a balcony room on the Dawn. Which when they called looking for credit card info I said what the heck. Which is a good thing since we obtained an upsell to a penthouse suite which there is no looking back for the GF.

We loved the freel style dinning and even the day resturants since this is mostly what we eat. Of course the butler and the consigire does not hurt either.

We are trying to decide right now where to go next

I will not be cruising NCL until January but have cruised Princess twice. They have Anytime Dining which sounds extremely similar to NCL. We would show up at either of the main dining rooms and ask for a table for two and would always be seated quickly. The only trick to getting the table for two was we discovered one of the dining rooms had more 2 person tables than the other so we returned there. Princess does still have Formal nights and on those nights they are stricter. On non-formal nights, polo shirt with khaki with sandals (DH) and skirt/blouse/sandals (me) were fine. On formal nights DH had to put on long sleeve shirt (or a jacket over the polo) and real shoes, the women get a lot more latitude- I wore a sundress and sandals not dressy. Have fun no matter which line you choose.

Saw a program today called Cruise, Inc, that featured NCL. It was a good show! My question to you all is:

For those of you that have sailed other cruise lines, why do you like NCL? What sets them apart for you? Why are you loyal to NCL? Thank you so much.

p.s. the reason I am asking is my DH and I may book a cruise with NCL.

Freestyle, freestyle, freestyle

We do not like assigned seating, so we can eat when and where we want with freestyle

Disembarkation - there is no rush get out of your cabin waiting to leave the ship at the end of your cruise with freestyle.

The whole cruise experience is do what you want, when you want with freestyle.

We do not feel the need to get dressed up for dinner, we just wear what I call business casual.

We enjoy it because of the "low volumn" of complaints. What I mean is, when you read all the reviews and try and understand which gripes are real and which are just whining, NCL exceeds many of the others. It's a good line! We were booked this past Sept. on the Pearl, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, we had Travel Guard insurance, but after I called NCL, they refunded me all but $300 of the cruise, and even let me retain my cruise reward certificate and use it on the EPIC, next December...it's just a good line............

I certainly agree with everything the other CC members have said but I would like to add something to it. The CREW. We have been treated nicely on every cruise we have been on but the NCL crews have been the most friendly. It seems they remember your name and go out of their way to say hello and ask how your day is going. Smiles everywhere. How can you not have a good time when it seems the whole ships is trying to make sure that you do? :D

.when you are all referring to "suites" - are you actually talking about suites or staterooms in general??? Could you be more specific? My DH and I enjoy the balconies, especially the aft balconies - is this what you would consider a "suite"?

The reason that most people are talking about the suites on NCL is not because of the cabin itself. Yes, they are nice, but it's the service/perks you get with NCL suites that makes them unique.

If you like balcony cabins, you really should consider springing to move up to a suite. On NCL category's AE and up are suites. You will be treated like royalty in an NCL suite. You can check out the perks on NCL's website.

CG

Saw a program today called Cruise, Inc, that featured NCL. It was a good show! My question to you all is:

For those of you that have sailed other cruise lines, why do you like NCL? What sets them apart for you? Why are you loyal to NCL? Thank you so much.

I would not say I am loyal to NCL as I've only cruised on them once and have another cruise booked despite being underwhelmed by the first cruise as a total experience. What brought me back was price, iteneraries and freestyle dining and the more casual dress code that goes with it. NCL is always competitively priced and their iteneraries seem to be just a bit more imaginative than most of the competition.

Hey, NEOK, you certainly must not live too far from me!!

Why do we choose NCL? They always have offered great itineraries for starters. The price is usually right, not always the cheapest though. The food, not outstanding, but certainly not bad and there are so many dinning choices. But the main reason, we like casual and they offer the most casual cruise experience. They have been doing flex dining the longest so have it donw pat, they have read what people want in dress codes and have answered with relaxing the requirements and the crew always seems happy or 90% of the time they do. You will always get some grumble bunnies, but not too many.

Nita

We have only done one other cruise. And it was on the Star last January to the MR (we originally picked NCL because of the price). We loved it! Freestyle fit our style. I came back and told my friends this was, by far, the ultimate "women's vacation". The only decision you needed to make was where you wanted to eat. The dress code of resort casual is comfortable and has very little restrictions. My DH loved that part the most, no tie or jacket. We found the food to be above average, the staff wonderful and the ship beautiful. So much so that we are doing the same cruise again in March!:eek:

We enjoy it because of the "low volumn" of complaints. What I mean is, when you read all the reviews and try and understand which gripes are real and which are just whining, NCL exceeds many of the others. It's a good line! We were booked this past Sept. on the Pearl, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, we had Travel Guard insurance, but after I called NCL, they refunded me all but $300 of the cruise, and even let me retain my cruise reward certificate and use it on the EPIC, next December...it's just a good line............

Groovers, I hope your wife is feeling better and that your family has been able to stand strong throughout your ordeal. I, too, am recovering from the big C, I was diagnosed with stage 2 uterine cancer 6 months after I got married, 5 yrs ago, at 38 yrs old. You know what helped me feel better spiritually? A cruise!

Good luck and God bless your family.

After our last cruise on the SUN we are starting to wonder why we like NCL.

Archived