Passengers Forced off Caribbean Princess?

berry22192

I've just read a member's Princess Cruise Review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=60045

by a passenger on a 14-day CB cruise out of San Juan. Their voyage could also have been booked as separate seven-day voyages.

The reviewer said, if I understood correctly, that they were forced off the ship with their bags at the completion of the first seven days itinerary before they were allowed to reboard for the remaining 7 days of their cruise.

Please tell me that this must have been one huge mistake and is not the expected practise for those booking 14-day cruises out of San Juan (as we will be next month).

If a forced disembarkation with bags is required in mid cruise, Princess should make this important point abundantly clear in pre-booking information.

I've just read a member's Princess Cruise Review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=60045

by a passenger on a 14-day CB cruise out of San Juan. Their voyage could also have been booked as separate seven-day voyages.

The reviewer said, if I understood correctly, that they were forced off the ship with their bags at the completion of the first seven days itinerary before they were allowed to reboard for the remaining 7 days of their cruise.

Please tell me that this must have been one huge mistake and is not the expected practise for those booking 14-day cruises out of San Juan (as we will be next month).

If a forced disembarkation with bags is required in mid cruise, Princess should make this important point abundantly clear in pre-booking information.

On our last B2B, we had to close out the folio of the first leg, we were issued new cards, and that was it. We stayed in the same room, but heard that others who had different rooms, the room stewards moved their belongings for them. This was on the Diamond.

Rc

We did a back-to-back on the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan in November.

There were absolutely no problems. We had booked the same room for both cruises. We went on a Princess Rain Forest tour on the morning of the San Juan visit and re-boarded with a transit card and our new cruise card.

It could not have been easier.

I do not see how anyone could have a problem, Princess provides detailed instructions to those doing a Back-to-back.

We did a B2B on the CB two years ago and had to disembark the ship so they could clear the passenger manifest to zero (that's what they told us). We had to go through Immigration but walked right through it with ease. DH and I only took our cards, passports and a book. We waited in the terminal on the other side of the ramp connecting the terminal with the ship and were able re-board within about 30-45 minutes after disembarking. We had been issued new cruise cards a day or two prior to this so when we re-boarded we had our picture taken with the new cruise cards. Very easy.

Doing B2B at them moment, in Valparaiso. We are given the option of closing our account now or carrying the balance forward. We have been given new cards and need to go down later today to have our photo taken for the new cards. Apart from that there is nothing else to do to continue our cruise. On previous B2Bs in the US we have had to walk through immigration but always leave our luggage inour cabin.

I think the poster was accurately reflecting their own experience. They purchased 'a last minute deal' from an online TA thinking they would have 14 days in the same inside cabin and when it came to the end of the 7 days, they did not. Perhaps the online TA was negligent in not explaining to the family that they would have to change rooms. It is unlikely that a last minute deal would net the same cabin for the whole 14 days. I could not understand whether they got back on board for the second 7 days or whether they were only booked for the first 7 days. The rush to get them off the ship was likely because they needed the room for the embarking passengers and this family did not vacate early in the morning. They did enjoy some of the cruise like the food and posted that positive comment although they found the entertainment lacking. If people cannot submit their own experiences, why bother with those cruise review sites? I think too many of the CC members are overly critical about someone else's opinion. The original poster of this thread asked if the experience was typical of a back to back experience and the answer is no as many other posters have stated.

"the restaurant (Palm) smells like a cantina (old port tavern), with no music, no pleasant environment and no power or ability to attract, interest or amuse!"

This sure isn't like any Princess cruise that I've been on. A B2B cabin change is easy. Pack up your stuff and your cabin steward will move it all, including all of your towel animals.

If they were not US Citizens its possible the CBP wanted them off with their luggage. CBP has been doing some strange things recently on some cruises. We recently were required to remain on board until all foreign citizens left and were cleared. This included the normal walkoff with their own luggage having to remain until these people collected all their luggage and were cleared. it delayed the normal quick walk off people two hours.

Even if this was not the reason. It sounds exactly like they do on most cruises. You must pack up and leave on almost every back to back if you aren't in the same room and on every cruise as people describe you are required to get off- although they almost always transfer the luggage for you. I bet if he went to the front desk and asked they would have done that for them.

Do some of you hear yourselves? How can you say this person was " a tourist not a traveller" oh that is hilarious. Cruisers are all tourists. Get over it.

Second, yes, language is obviously an issue, and I think OP did better in english then I can in any other language. Those of you who are muli lingual only need reply, the rest of you who can ONLY speak and write in one langauge should be envious of OPs abilities.

His opinion is his, his experience was obviously a result of not getting all the information because he booked last minute, and online with an agency that did not keep him informed. So what. He did not bash the whole experience, he discussed what he considered the good points, and he did not score anything very low,, just the interaction with staff and the way his btb was handled. And, he was correct, the staff at the Pursers desk can be robots and the way the billing is settled is a joke. I really look forward to the line up too, knowing that as a Canadian I will have to CHECK that I am not having my CC charged in US dollars.

Do some of you hear yourselves? How can you say this person was " a tourist not a traveller" oh that is hilarious. Cruisers are all tourists. Get over it.

Second, yes, language is obviously an issue, and I think OP did better in english then I can in any other language. Those of you who are muli lingual only need reply, the rest of you who can ONLY speak and write in one langauge should be envious of OPs abilities.

His opinion is his, his experience was obviously a result of not getting all the information because he booked last minute, and online with an agency that did not keep him informed. So what. He did not bash the whole experience, he discussed what he considered the good points, and he did not score anything very low,, just the interaction with staff and the way his btb was handled. And, he was correct, the staff at the Pursers desk can be robots and the way the billing is settled is a joke. I really look forward to the line up too, knowing that as a Canadian I will have to CHECK that I am not having my CC charged in US dollars.

Please don't get upset.:) Remember everyone sees the written word in a different light.All are entitled to their opinions even you yourself.:)

On my Cruise Personalizer have noticed Princess have added'All on board folios will be charged in USD' I book direct with Princess. If you book with a TA maybe you could ask them to have Princess add this to your Cruise Personalizer.:)

Passenger himself said that he didn't know he was purchasing a B2B cruise and obviously had no clue what the procedure normally is for B2B's. Since he booked though an internet agency there was likely none or very little personal contact and if he didn't know the correct questions to ask he didn't recieve any valuable information. Truly sad, but unfortunately far too common these days.

There is nothing to indicate in his review that the B2B procedure in San Juan is any differerent than any other port just an uninformed passenger that by the way most likely was not the most pleasant to deal with at the pursers desk hense his feeling of rudeness from the desk when he went there for assistance.;)

Sounds about right.

This is considered a B2B cruise.

Passengers on a B2B have to clear customs and immigration between the 2 cruises.

This is absolutely correct G'ma - we did a B2B 2 years ago and experienced the clearing customs as well as immigration adventure - all took about 3 hours and this was on the Freedom of the Seas with RC and it was a waste of time as far as we we concerned; especially when traveling with your parents 73 and 74 yrs old; so be patient and rules are the rules and they need to followed; all in all it was not so bad.

On my Cruise Personalizer have noticed Princess have added'All on board folios will be charged in USD' I book direct with Princess.

Please realize that all this is saying is that when you get a printout of your onboard account, it will all be in US $.

It has no relation to what currency will be used when the onboard account is actually charged to a credit card.

I have not read much in "cruise world" that would ever put a cruiser in the class of a traveler. How much of a place, people, and culture can one experience with a few hours in port. How far can you go off the beaten path with with the intent to get you back in time for the lunch buffet or before ship sails. Read the reviews and note how little some experienced B2B 4 R&R cruisers know about language, locals, and customs. The internet has opened up the world of travel but also made a mockery out of it. More and more we book for the price and then end up on ships and in places we have no right being. At least land resorts give you a week in one place, with a swim-up bar. Drinking local beer is important to appreciating culture.

This is someone's EXPERIENCE, why not take it at face value. It's not like he is asking for a FREE cruise which a few will have to pay for out of their own pockets:rolleyes:

Please don't get upset.:) Remember everyone sees the written word in a different light.All are entitled to their opinions even you yourself.:)

On my Cruise Personalizer have noticed Princess have added'All on board folios will be charged in USD' I book direct with Princess. If you book with a TA maybe you could ask them to have Princess add this to your Cruise Personalizer.:)

...but Australian based ships (Dawn and Sun) bill your portfolio in AUD not USD, so it's not a Princess based policy fleet wide. There are exceptions, and would you give your TA a password to access your Cruise Personalizer?

Ciao for now!!!

I have not read much in "cruise world" that would ever put a cruiser in the class of a traveler. How much of a place, people, and culture can one experience with a few hours in port. How far can you go off the beaten path with with the intent to get you back in time for the lunch buffet or before ship sails. Read the reviews and note how little some experienced B2B 4 R&R cruisers know about language, locals, and customs. The internet has opened up the world of travel but also made a mockery out of it. More and more we book for the price and then end up on ships and in places we have no right being. At least land resorts give you a week in one place, with a swim-up bar. Drinking local beer is important to appreciating culture.

This is someone's EXPERIENCE, why not take it at face value. It's not like he is asking for a FREE cruise which a few will have to pay for out of their own pockets:rolleyes:

I think you're unfairly painting all cruisers with the same brush. Lots of us do plenty of study of the ports of call in advance of our arrival and plan our days to get as much time onshore experiencing the local flavor as possible. A cruise can give somebody plenty of exposure to multiple cultures and all the local beer (more than one label, even!) one might desire.:) I've seen plenty of land-based trips that are a whirlwind of packing and getting on the bus, leaving just as little time to enjoy the locale.

Back to the reviewer - I'll bet that he or she wrote the review while still in a lather, and lots of people who speak English as a first language no longer write in complete sentences (thank you, texting). I didn't have any trouble following it, nor do I doubt that s/he felt compelled to drag his/her luggage off the ship in between. Maybe it was poor communication; maybe the "glitch in the system" was the problem. We'll never know, but it's not all that productive to bash the reviewer just because your experience was different. In my humble opinion, of course.:)

I think you're unfairly painting all cruisers with the same brush. Lots of us do plenty of study of the ports of call in advance of our arrival and plan our days to get as much time onshore experiencing the local flavor as possible. A cruise can give somebody plenty of exposure to multiple cultures and all the local beer (more than one label, even!) one might desire.:) I've seen plenty of land-based trips that are a whirlwind of packing and getting on the bus, leaving just as little time to enjoy the locale.

Back to the reviewer - I'll bet that he or she wrote the review while still in a lather, and lots of people who speak English as a first language no longer write in complete sentences (thank you, texting). I didn't have any trouble following it, nor do I doubt that s/he felt compelled to drag his/her luggage off the ship in between. Maybe it was poor communication; maybe the "glitch in the system" was the problem. We'll never know, but it's not all that productive to bash the reviewer just because your experience was different. In my humble opinion, of course.:)

Well said Jean, thanks. :)

Archived