Before you buy a dam mug.....

Looks like the Westerdam "W" Dam mugs are not worth the ink they used to make them.

After a few dishwashings the ink is coming off and can be rubbed off with a finger.

In my cupboard sits an old Holland America mug and an old NCL mug, 8 years old, been dishwashed hundreds of times...still with their ink on.

I'm glad my two WDam mugs were won. Sure wouldn't want to have purchased these pieces of junk. :eek:

I use my "M" Maasdam mug every morning for my coffee. It's at least 5 years old with no signs of wear.... I treasure it.

Sorry this happened to your mug. It has to be disappointing. Maybe a 'bad batch' from the manufacturer. I'd contact HAL and see if you can get a new one.

Looks like the Westerdam "W" Dam mugs are not worth the ink they used to make them.

After a few dishwashings the ink is coming off and can be rubbed off with a finger.

In my cupboard sits an old Holland America mug and an old NCL mug, 8 years old, been dishwashed hundreds of times...still with their ink on.

I'm glad my two WDam mugs were won. Sure wouldn't want to have purchased these pieces of junk. :eek:

I think you were just unlucky in the pick you got. I say this because I have 3 HAL mugs, one I bought on the Oosterdam May 2008 (The "O" and 2 on the Westerdam, one is a "W" and the other gold lettering of all the "DAM" ships, that I bought May 2009.)

I do not use the "DAM" ships mug but I switch every day between my "O" and "W" mugs and nothing has come off yet and they get their daily dish washing on the heaviest setting, Pots and Pans.

I am sorry your lettering is coming off. But, be happy you got them for free:)

Joanie

Well, I think I will just have to be happy with 2 plain blue mugs....my son picked them when he won the ship building contest. He really wanted something that said "dam" on it and the mugs were the only thing I would let him get. lol

I wonder if the caribbean amber will rub off the necklace my daughter won at the spot the fake contest

I suppose I could let HAL know...but I just sent a letter to HAL Thursday saying how much we enjoyed our cruise.....If only I knew then what I noticed today.....Our cruise in ruined now!

:D

Seriously though....if anyone recently purchased these blue dam mugs(mine are from Nov 2009)....keep em out of the dishwasher.

I love my blue mugs, but they are for display only. We started collecting them on our third cruise and have been trying to find them from those first two. We need "R" and "W" - I've posted it on CC's cruise memorabilia board, I have a permanent search at Ebay, and I always look at thrift shops - all with no luck. We especially like them because they can't be bought onboard, only won. Seems like the only way to get those two is to cruise again on the ships. :)

We especially like them because they can't be bought onboard, only won. Seems like the only way to get those two is to cruise again on the ships. :)

They're getting scarce as hen's teeth as prizes, though. In 32 days on the Rotterdam recently I never saw them given as prizes in such things as trivia or Name That Tune. They were given to participants in the between shows games like Marriage Game.

I hope they're not being phased out. I want a "W" mug when I cruise in May! (never got an "E" on the E-dam; I think the supply hadn't arrived. :()

ricok is right. We bought the plastic mugs while in Alaska on the Amsterdam last summer and while the printing is still okay, the first time through the dishwasher water got in the insulated section. Sure enough, the mugs are made in China.

While on the Ryndam I looked through the shop several times and all the mugs I found were made in China. Even the "Dam ships" coasters we bought are from China! BUT, the coaster tiles given to the Mariners are the real deal - dutch delft.

I'd rather pay more (even a lot more) for a quality item made elsewhere than junk from China.

I love my blue mugs, but they are for display only. We started collecting them on our third cruise and have been trying to find them from those first two. We need "R" and "W" - I've posted it on CC's cruise memorabilia board, I have a permanent search at Ebay, and I always look at thrift shops - all with no luck. We especially like them because they can't be bought onboard, only won. Seems like the only way to get those two is to cruise again on the ships. :)

I'll get you a "W" mug in less than 6 weeks Donna!! I want another one also. I will be leaving for my B2B on Westerdam in 46 days and will return home on February 22.

You WILL get your "W"!!

Joanie

ricok is right. We bought the plastic mugs while in Alaska on the Amsterdam last summer and while the printing is still okay, the first time through the dishwasher water got in the insulated section. Sure enough, the mugs are made in China.

While on the Ryndam I looked through the shop several times and all the mugs I found were made in China. Even the "Dam ships" coasters we bought are from China! BUT, the coaster tiles given to the Mariners are the real deal - dutch delft.

I'd rather pay more (even a lot more) for a quality item made elsewhere than junk from China.

OK, Now I get it!!! You all are talking plastic, I'm talking ceramic mugs!!

Have no idea about the plastic as I bought ceramic mugs for my coffee. I have a coffee warmer beside my desktop computer and drink coffee from my "O" and "W" mugs all day long. The ceramic mugs stand up quite nicely to daily wear and tear and dishwashing:)

Joanie

Donna, I have several R mugs. Email me and I will send one to you. I tried your link to email you but it wouldn't work for some reason.

We have had some of our mugs for over 7 years and no problems. Oh, except for the big one from the Oosterdam with the gold lettering on it. It didn't do too well in the microwave :o.

I'll get you a "W" mug in less than 6 weeks Donna!! I want another one also. I will be leaving for my B2B on Westerdam in 46 days and will return home on February 22.

You WILL get your "W"!!

Joanie

Ohhhh, that would be so exciting, Joanie! Though, with being unable to buy them you might find it difficult to get enough to share. You have to play games to win, and like Ruth says, they're becoming scarce. What we're talking about here is plain blue ceramic. Here's a pic of my Volendam ones.

2668116240101871348S425x425Q85.jpg

Donna, I have several R mugs. Email me and I will send one to you. I tried your link to email you but it wouldn't work for some reason.

We have had some of our mugs for over 7 years and no problems. Oh, except for the big one from the Oosterdam with the gold lettering on it. It didn't do too well in the microwave :o.

Oh my, Trish - you just MADE my day!

An email is on it's way, and I can't thank you enough! :):):)

Ohhhh, that would be so exciting, Joanie! Though, with being unable to buy them you might find it difficult to get enough to share. You have to play games to win, and like Ruth says, they're becoming scarce. What we're talking about here is plain blue ceramic. Here's a pic of my Volendam ones.

2668116240101871348S425x425Q85.jpg

That's not the Volendam, that's the Veendam, Ma'am!;)

Yes, these are ceramic blue mugs.

I thought I saw them for sale in the ship gift shop ????

Yes they are for sale in the shops. I think I paid $9.95 for each of the 3. And as I said, mine still have all the lettering and go through a near daily (every other day) dish washing cycle on Pots and Pans setting. That is why I think you might have gotten a bad set:(

Joanie

Donna, I bought all 3 of mine in the gift shops, "O" on the Oosterdam, and both the "W" and "DAM" ship mugs on the Westerdam this past May. They were only $9.95 each.

I WILL get you one!!!!

Joanie

Well, I don't have the mugs, but I do have some tiles and by beloved "DAM SHIPS" T-shirt (which has held up well through many washings!)

Living deep in the heart of the Bible Belt, I have received more than a few gasps and arched eyebrows when wearing my shirt....from going to my mailbox to pushing my cart down the never-crowded aisles of our Super Wal Mart! (Expect to see myself on one of those "Shoppers of WalMart" links....)

Imsulin.....

:) Those who are gasping at the 'dam' need to learn how to spell. :D

As long as you aren't wearing 'damn', what are they all nutty about?

But I certainly know what you mean!

I think those t-shirts/caps etc are funny and we have a few ourselves. :)

Archived