How bad IS the shower gel?

mehitabel

I'm really trying to save space in my luggage, and I know that RCCL provides bars of soap and some kind of shower gel--is it shampoo? A combination shampoo/conditioner? Paint stripper?

I'm not picky about my amenities; I just want to get clean in the shower. I've got low-maintenance hair needs and I've got more important things to spend time on. Can I get away with the provided stuff for ten days without completely damaging my hair? Thanks for the advice.

I'm really trying to save space in my luggage, and I know that RCCL provides bars of soap and some kind of shower gel--is it shampoo? A combination shampoo/conditioner? Paint stripper?

I'm not picky about my amenities; I just want to get clean in the shower. I've got low-maintenance hair needs and I've got more important things to spend time on. Can I get away with the provided stuff for ten days without completely damaging my hair? Thanks for the advice.

As you describe yourself, I think you will be fine with the soap and shampoo/conditioner provided by RCI. If not, stop in a shop at one of your ports of call and buy a brand that you prefer.:)

I've only used it to wash my hands and it leaves my skin dry.

For myself I'd never use it on my hair, but I'm particular about what I put on my hair and skin. I'd rather cut back one pair of shoes than go without my own shampoo, conditioner and body wash. I take 3 oz. bottles, they take up little space in a suitcase. If you need more than that, you are using too much product on your hair. I use the size of a dime for shampoo, the size of a nickel for conditioner, for a week cruise I use less than 2 oz., for a 10 night cruise 3 oz. would be plenty.

I think it is fine. Both hubby and I use it, but we have pretty ordinary hair and skin and are not fussy about special products.

p.s. Hi, Yogimax! Played any trivia lately??? Happy New year!

Hi Rala!

On our next cruise! I surely won't forget that the youngest pope was eleven years old! Happy New Year to you!

I have fine, dry hair and cannot use the RC stuff. It doesn't seem to provide any nourishment for the hair, which is something that I really need, especially on a Caribbean itinerary where I spend time in swimming in the ocean or pool. The salt water really dries out the hair! I look like I have straw hair if I use it!

If you hair is "normal" you might need more conditioner than the RC stuff provides if you plan on spending time in salt water. If you don't want to pack a full bottle, you might bring along a travel size container of extra-rich shampoo and conditioner in case the RC stuff does leave your hair dried out.

After visiting the mediterranean a few times I've become an Olive Oil Soap convert.

I've been using it now for 5 years or so.

Any kind of chemical based products now, including the mildest stuff like the Levers and the Doves, and I explode into a rash. I'll never use that stuff again. Soap is horrible for the skin.

What's in that container is anyone's guess...it's not "soap"..it's detergent (just like all shampoos!) But--no one really knows if it's shampoo/conditioner or body wash. It won't kill you to use it, if you really don't care about your hair! It will get you clean.

What's in that container is anyone's guess...it's not "soap"..it's detergent (just like all shampoos!) But--no one really knows if it's shampoo/conditioner or body wash. It won't kill you to use it, if you really don't care about your hair! It will get you clean.

We shared a table with the crew member that was in charge of inventory (non-food) and asked him what it was. He said it was "conditioner." Now, he might not know there is a difference between shampoo and conditioner or they are combined sometimes into one product but in his position, you would think he did.

I'm not picky but I bring my own shampoo because whatever is in the dispenser doesn't seem to lather up easily. I, also, bring body gel because the bar of soap slips between the soap dish rungs and is very difficult to pick up in the confines of the shower.

Tucker in Texas

I use it to wash but bring my own conditioner and body lotion. I only wash my hair every three days though. The other days I only rinse and condition. You would be surprised how much healthier your hair will be if you do this. It does take about a month for your scalp to stop overproducing oils. I have very thick, unmanagable, wavy hair and have to use conditioner and a leave in to keep it from the stereotypical Texas big hair.

Monica

I can tell you that when my husband used it..........his beautiful head of silver grey hair took on this peculiar green glow.:eek:

:eek: WOW!

I usually bring along travel sizes of shampoo/conditioner, body wash and lotion. By the end of the cruise they are mostly gone. They take up very little room.

There are only a few FDA approved ingredients. All shower gels basically use the exact same cleaners, with minor differences in coloring, perfume, and other "inactive" ingredients. You can pay for an expensive brand, but it won't get the dirt off you any better than the cheap stuff.

Archived