Help me decide .. Summit to Bermuda

SuzieQ123

We haven never been to Bermuda before, we are Diamond C&A RCCL cruisers. I understand the Summit docks at Kings Wharf. People are telling me there is nothing at Kings Wharf and you need to take a cab in order to really do anything. We are active people in our early 40's. Will we be bored?

We are stuck between trying Bermuda or doing an NCL Bahamas cruise. (We did one NCL, it was just OK but a great value for the price)

Yes you may be bored. We docked at Kings Wharf on the Constellation. There really is very little to do there. A very very small set of shops with a restaurant and pub. Not much else.

You can take a water taxi, bus or taxi to get to other parts of the island. We were there two days and feel we saw very little. One day it rained quite hard.

Luckily for us we were on a TA and headed to Europe with a lot more stops. For me, I am not sure I would just take a short cruise to Bermuda if I had other choices.

I love Bermuda, and have been there many times. Once on a cruise, several times as a land vacation.

If you dock in one place, you will still have to get everywhere else. Even if you dock in Hamilton, you aren't going to want to shop every minute of every day. Therefore you will take transportation (public or taxi) to anywhere else you want to go (beaches, sightseeing attractions). The last time we took a cruise to Bermuda we were on RCCL, and docked at St. George - we still had to get everywhere we needed to go (other than touring St. George).

We are on Summit to Bermuda in July, and chose it because we love Celebrity - we didn't care if it docked on the moon. The cruise experience is part of the total vacation, and the island is part of the total vacation. We're going to buy a 3-day transportation pass as soon as we land, and go everywhere we want to go, and then come back to our beautiful ship at night. It might take us a little longer in transit, but that's ok.

I love Bermuda, and have been there many times. Once on a cruise, several times as a land vacation.

If you dock in one place, you will still have to get everywhere else. Even if you dock in Hamilton, you aren't going to want to shop every minute of every day. Therefore you will take transportation (public or taxi) to anywhere else you want to go (beaches, sightseeing attractions). The last time we took a cruise to Bermuda we were on RCCL, and docked at St. George - we still had to get everywhere we needed to go (other than touring St. George).

We are on Summit to Bermuda in July, and chose it because we love Celebrity - we didn't care if it docked on the moon. The cruise experience is part of the total vacation, and the island is part of the total vacation. We're going to buy a 3-day transportation pass as soon as we land, and go everywhere we want to go, and then come back to our beautiful ship at night. It might take us a little longer in transit, but that's ok.

See this is sort of what I'm thinking... we are happy spending time on the ship. We are looking at April 25 sailing for our anniversary. I know the weather may be a bit cool at that time of the year so I'm not expecting stellar beach weather.

Bermuda has wonderful beaches, and I would not go there when it is not beach weather. Have you looked at any Caribbean itineraries? April is a great time to go - before hurricane season.

We just came back from the Western Carribean 2 weeks ago . We've been to the Southern Carribean numerous times, same w/Western and Eastern Itineraries. We wanted to do something in April and my husband did not want to fly so we are limited to NCL to the Bahamas from NYC or Bermuda from Cape Liberty. We have cruised before w/NCL and it was not our favorite cruiseline however a good value for the price. We thought Bermuda would be something different and convienient from Bayonne

We took the Explorer to Bermuda and docked at King's Wharf. There is almost nothing to do there but it is easy to take the ferry to Hamilton or To St. George. We took the ferry to Hamilton and then the bus to St. George. The bus stops at the Caves or the Aquarium on the way to St. George. Transportation is easy in Bermuda

We have been to Bermuda several times, twice on a Celebrity ship. It is our favorite island - safe and easy to explore. We consider it much nicer than any of the Caribbean islands. We ported in both St. George and Hamilton, which is an ideal itinerary, but only small ships are able to use those ports. We also really like Celebrity, so we were happy to tour during the day and return to our ship for the evening.

I agree that the King's Wharf area is not as well developed as other parts of the island, although I have not been there in several years, and, with all the cruise ships stopping there, there may be more services there now. However, King's Wharf is an easy bus ride to the south shore beaches, including Horseshoe Bay, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There is also ferry service to Hamilton, which is a pleasant ride, and bus service throughout the island, although it would take a while to get to St. George.

The time were were in Bermuda in late April, it was cool, definitely not beach weather, by my standards, but the kids spent time at the beach. It think it would be comfortable for touring, walking, and shopping.

I hope you have a great vacation.

We haven never been to Bermuda before, we are Diamond C&A RCCL cruisers. I understand the Summit docks at Kings Wharf. People are telling me there is nothing at Kings Wharf and you need to take a cab in order to really do anything. We are active people in our early 40's. Will we be bored?

We are stuck between trying Bermuda or doing an NCL Bahamas cruise. (We did one NCL, it was just OK but a great value for the price)

Hi:)

I rarely ever respond to the regular threads but couldn't resist. I would definitely book this cruise, if you have never been to Bermuda you do not know what you are missing. I have been to the Bahamas and there is no comparison. Bermuda is the most beautiful island, you will love it and go back, trust me. You will not be bored, although docked at Kings Wharf there is public transportation or water ferry's that you can take to different parts of the island. There are many beaches, restaurants and bars to visit. There are also many excursions you can sign up for.

DH and I will be on the April 25th sailing, celebrating DH 50th birthday, actually the day we sail:D

We've done NCL as well but prefer Celebrity. I think you will be happy with both Celebrity and Bermuda. This will be our 12th time to Bermuda, can you tell we love this island;)

I hope you decide to join us on the Summit to Bermuda, if so come say hello on our roll call, we have nice folks chatting:)

Laura

We love Bermuda. This will be our 3rd time there. Miss the smaller ships sailing into St. George and Hamilton, but you can purchase a 3-day ferry/bus pass that will take you all over the island.

We're on the 30 May sailing, and can't wait.

Easy answer...if you've never been to Bermuda you've never been to one, if not the, best island in the Caribbean.

Five years ago I would have agreed...there's nothing to do at the King's Wharf. Not so now...there's the mall, a few restaurants, and the Commissioner's House. You could easily spend an entire day taking in everything in the Commissioner's House (and it's free).

Easy transportation via ferry, bus or taxi. The best beaches, the lighthouses, oh...there's so much to see. The island is clean, the people are friendly -- and it's safe. Go to Bermuda.

Seems I'm in the CC minority with the scooter rental suggestion, but that's ok. ;)

Bermuda is gorgeous, clean, expensive and conservative. I wouldn't compare it to the Caribbean, because it's not a Caribbean island. IMO, it doesn't have that exotic, earthy, gritty native Caribbean feel that you get once you leave the cruise ports and explore. Hope this makes sense - lol.

We love Bermuda and have visited 4 times. It's a breathtaking venue for sure and a golfer's dream come true.

SuzieQ, I think you should definitely book the Summit. ;)

SuzieQ:

If you are "active people in your early 40s" I also vote for moped rental. My wife and I have been lucky enough to be on Bermuda many times (we are active early 50s) and they're great!

Be careful....you must drive on the left. But the speed limit is less than 30mph and almost all roads are one lane in each direction. Lots of fun!

Enjoy Bermuda. If you haven't been you really must go. It's like no other island around.

If you are thinking about renting a motor scooter while in Bermuda, I would suggest that you read this thread from the Ports of Call board, Bermuda forum, titled Scooter Rental...Pros & Cons?? What do you think? : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1031563

I would pay special attention to what the locals who post there have to say.

Just remember, a motor scooter accident can ruin your cruise :(; and for what??

Bermuda has excellent public transportation. I do ride a motorcycle, but while in Bermuda, I let the bus driver do the work while I sit back and enjoy the ride.

SBtS

There's enough to do at King's Wharf to occupy a full day -- Tour the Fort and Maritime Museum, swim with the dolphins, snorkel park, shopping, and pub lunch at the Frog & Onion.

That;s what we plan for one of the days... also a snorkel trip on a boat & taxi tour for other days-- We have already been to the other side if the island so the Summit trip will work fine for us!!!

This may be heresy, but someone ought to speak up.

The OP is from NJ. Why take a cruise? It's only a 1 1/2 hr flight from PHL, and it can't be any farther from Newark or NY. Assuming you'll be getting up early that morning anyway, you can be in Bermuda before noon before you can even drop your luggage in a cabin. And the view of the turquoise water coming in for a landing: priceless. And you can spend all your time in Bermuda instead of at sea.

Bermuda has to be one of the easiest places on earth for tourists to navigate. Buses run up and down the island. (You cannot rent a car.) You're only a few blocks away from everywhere. (Tip: get a bus pass at the central terminals and save a bundle over plunking quarters at all the other stops.)

Bermuda is one of the most beautiful places on earth. There's no such thing as a bad view. The hotels are great; even the smaller ones are lovely and comfortable. You can find a centrally located one instead of being at a cruise port way off the beaten path. There are restaurants galore so don't worry about not finding a convenient place to eat.

I love cruises, but there are just some places that cruising doesn't work all that well. Kentucky, Wyoming, and Bermuda are among those.

M/R

Thanks everyone for your input. We decided to go w/NCL to the Bahamas. I will get to Bermuda but preferably in the summertime when its warmer for beach weather.

Also to the last post of why a cruise from NJ? Well its much more cost effective, Bermuda is very expensive to stay at a Hotel and have the cost of all your meals. Cruising is the best value for us to see Bermuda. Maybeits not for everyone but you can't beat the price of a cruise.

I will get on a Celebrity ship soon, to Bermuda, it just worked out that the NCL was a value too good to pass up. Luckily Celebrity is back in Bayonne so we can do this at a better time.

Archived