Flying out of Acapulco

Starlaker

I have seen some references lately to the airport in Acapulco that have caused me some concern. We will be flying home from Acapulco after our Panama Canal Cruise in March. Is there anything I need to know to get through the airport there unscathed?

Patience. Patience and more patience. The airport is not equiped to handle two thousand or so cruise passengers at one time. If your flight is in mid-afternoon (as I recall most were), take a tour that ends at the airport. Princess offers one. It sells out quickly so act fast when it is announced on the cruise.

Patience. Patience and more patience. The airport is not equiped to handle two thousand or so cruise passengers at one time. If your flight is in mid-afternoon (as I recall most were), take a tour that ends at the airport. Princess offers one. It sells out quickly so act fast when it is announced on the cruise.

I can't empasize what Paul said enough. This is a tiny airport and disorganized at best, so just try and not get too stressed.

Mike:)

We always "laugh" at our Acapulco departure after the Panama Canal cruise - and that was about 10 years ago. The airport had no A/C and few places to sit. There were literally hundreds of people sitting on the floor. :eek:

We took a tour so that we would not have to sit at the airport very long. Just our luck, some lady on the tour decided she was suddenly in a hurry so the bus driver cut our tour short and took us to the airport hours ahead of time.:(

Oh well...it is what it is and just try to make the best of your day. Go prepared for "the worst" and hopefully it will be better than you expected. Chalk it up to travel experience and maybe some day you will look back on it as a "laughable memory" like we do.:D

We were just there and had no problems at all--very smooth and hardly any waits in line.

Seating might have been a little limited after passing through security, but I didn't see anyone sitting on the floor.

However, we did fly out the day after we debarked, so I don't know how it would be on cruise day. It is a smaller airport

We flew back from Acapulco after our Panama Canal cruise last Feb and it was not a big hassle altho what everyone else says is true. It is a very small airport, nothing to do just sit and wait. You will go thru security twice, once while boarding so don't try to smuggle anything on the airplane...they even took the sunscreen lotion from the captain. And it will cost you a fee at the check in counter just to leave Mexico..I forget how much..maybe 20.00 each. Also when you get back to the airport in the US you will have to go thru customs again, so be prepared to do some running to get your luggage, go thru customs, put your luggage back on the conveyor and get to your gate. We came back thru Houston, so I have no idea if they are all that way.

I went on line before the cruise, and had a taxi/tour company reserve me a cab to go from the cruise port to the ship, they met us at the ship, and it was a great ride to the airport, the driver pointed out all kinds of interesting things on the way. There are also plenty of cabs at the terminal so you can always get one when you get off the ship. A lot of people opted to stay in Acapulco an extra day, and then some of the hotels have shuttles to the airport and it is less crowded if there is not a big cruise ship that has just come in and dumped several thousand people all trying to fly out the day.

The bottom line is...I would never do this again..I will go from Fort Lauderdale, and back to Fort Lauderdale if I ever want to see the Canal again..even if I don't go all the way thru.

Alan

I flew out of Acapulco on Aeromexico. There were very long lines for some airlines like American, Continental, and US Air, but there was no line for Aeromexico. Maybe people who bought air through Princess were put on specific airlines? Who knows. The airport doesn't have much to do, so bring reading if you plan to get there early.

In terms of getting there, we (3 of us) got a cab for $25. They were quoting 40-50 right outside the luggage area but once you pass through a small gate the prices will be lower if you bargain a little.

We just flew out of Acapulco on Aeromexico on Dec. 20. It is a bad airport. Very small, with barely any establishments offering food or drinks. Not enough seating for all those people. We ended up sitting on the floor for almost 2 hours. DS was on Continental and was in the check in line for nearly 3 hours. Our flight left just before his, but he later told us, he had to sit on the floor as well. He also said an elderly man had a meltdown and screamed for a young person to get up and let him sit down. All baggage was hand searched. This airport is really primitive and we will definitely avoid it in the future. Good luck.

Also, jlq3d3, we were probably on the same flight as you and we were in the check in line for Aeromexico for about an hour. Probably had to do with the time we arrived.

Okay, I have to repost and say that we are Gold fliers on American, so we get special lines and have very short, if anty, waits. The waits in the regular lines for boarding passes were much longer, but not terrible. Since I didn't experience this, I don't know how long the wait times were.

Going through security was just normal, no eaits, except they do check your carry-ons and use the wand to check most people both at the first security check point and before boarding.

Also, if you buy water or pop after you have gone through security, you will still have to give it up when they screen you for actual boarding.

This was as of Dec. 20th. I don't know if stricter security is in place after the attempted bombing.

Thanks to all for the information. A tour sounds like a much better idea than sitting (or standing) around in the airport. Our flight leaves at 1:54. Don't know if that will give us time for a tour or not.

Thanks to all for the information. A tour sounds like a much better idea than sitting (or standing) around in the airport. Our flight leaves at 1:54. Don't know if that will give us time for a tour or not.

When we did the Princess tour they dropped us about noon. The info you get should tell you when it will end.

We had a real pain trying to get out of Acapulco last year. AeroMexico had over booked. We were flying Delta- who had contracted with AeroMexico to take us to Mexico City. Then Delta took us to Atlanta, then on to Minneapolis.

The Aeromexico lady asked for our boarding pass when we go to the front of the line. I had confimration numbers, but I didn't even attempt to print a boarding pass- since we had so many connections. We were told to get out of line and wait for the Delta rep. 2 hours later and making the flight was a bit scary.

What we learned- if flying Aero Mexico try and get a boarding pass printed. You should be fine since you are flying out on a charter of some sort.

I know the next time we want to do the Panama Canal it would be from a U.S port to a U.S port. LA to Ft. Lauderdale would be preferable. We also weren't too impressed with Acapulco.

You may want to ask your travel agent what they would suggest you do. You may just want a Princess transfer to the airport and get checked in. Have plenty of patience. I'm thinking it won't be as bad for you since you are in March. Where as we flew at the end of Christmas/New Years and everyone was flying back.

HAVE A GREAT TIME ON YOUR CRUISE!!! I'm sure you will have a terrific time! I know that was one cruise I want to do again and again! Gabrielle

If that is your flight time, rather than take a tour of a not very interesting city just to kill time, it might be a better idea to have a leisurely breakfast and not rush off the ship, and then go strait to the airport. The lines can be long so you want to be there somewhat early.

We just flew out of Acapulco on the 21st. We had planned on doing a tour with Princess but once on the ship none were offered. I would have a back up plan for an independent tour. We were flying Mexicana airlines and didnt have a problem with long lines, but they do only check in one flight at a time to avoid luggage errors. Also we bought our tickets through an online agency and the exit fees were already included in our ticket, good to know or have a copy with you. The exit fees were $20.50 per person. Also the small food establishment was overwhelmed with all the passengers, we received half our order after an hour and gave up on the rest. We did find everyone to be very pleasant and helpful, but it is a small airport as others have mentioned. I believe they must now have AC since we found the temperature comfortable.

Yes, the airport in Acapulco has A/C. They do have a restaurant prior to going through security where you can eat. It may be closed depending on the day you are traveling. They also have another restaurant bar past security and another couple of bars where they also serve cappuccino, regular coffee and sandwiches.

Regarding security: you checked in luggage will be screen by hand before going to the counter. Once you check in, you go upstairs through the x-ray machines. Before boarding, your hand luggage will be screen by hand.

I just traveled to and from Mexico via AA during the Thanksgiving week.

You folks are just wonderful! I really appreciate all the great information. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. We are flying out on Continental, not a charter. It looks like they have already charged us for our Departure tax (33.81 ea) and Mexico IVA transportation tax (26.30 ea). Total taxes on our flight for two totalled $307. Gotta love it!

You folks are just wonderful! I really appreciate all the great information. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. We are flying out on Continental, not a charter. It looks like they have already charged us for our Departure tax (33.81 ea) and Mexico IVA transportation tax (26.30 ea). Total taxes on our flight for two totalled $307. Gotta love it!

That is a very good price for a one way ticket.

To Nebr.Cruiser..where do you live on a small lake in rural Nebr? We are in Lincoln

We live west of Norfolk, outside the small town of Meadow Grove. We know Lincoln well, though, having spent a year there when my husband was in college as well as our older son going to school (and playing football) there.

Archived