Live Silver Spirit Maiden TA Crossing

DebbieH103

Beautiful sea day. Word has now gotten out regarding the Hot Rock Grill, and it has suddenly become heavily booked. Other venues still have pretty easy access. I'm so happy that we are on the starboard side of deck 6 and have no noise problem. The hotel director mentioned that they are going to change the Bar band hours as a temporary fix to the portside noise situation since the other suites are apparently all full on this segment. They will probably have to stop booking those suites in the even numbered 640's until they can find a permanent solution. Of course, the other ships don't have this problem because the bar is in the back, where there are no suites. Pool deck is crowded but there are lots of comfortable lounges, and there are many other deck areas with the same lounges and sun and no congestion. Am also really enjoying the lovely outdoor deck space behind the Panorama Lounge. It will be hard to return to snow.

We would like to thank Doug,Lynn,Wes,Ida,Emmy,Jim, Valerie,Gary,Carol,Dieter,Debbie,Craig and Wilfred for making this cruise

a special one. (Sorry if i have left someone's name out)

I enjoyed reading all the post today and relive some of the events we were part of.

Hope everyone had a save journey home and wish Dieter,Debbie and Emmy a lot of fun and good food the next 5 days:D

Its was great meeting you all and we hope to see you again on one of

the SS ships in the future.

Doug you have my email adress can you send me the one Wes uses?

I hope we will stay in contact now and then.

A big hug to you all

Nick and Maria

Today is a beautiful day in St. Kitts. We had to anchor rather than dock because of winds and currents. Most shops and restaurants are closed, except in the port area, because it's a national holiday following their big election day yesterday. Lots of lively political celebrations in Basseterre. Venetian gathering scheduled for pool deck this evening. Deck barbecue tomorrow.

The dining venues are now filling up. Terrazza seemed full last night and the pasta pappardelle with duck ragout was again absolutely wonderful (eat your heart out, Col. Wes!). The 80 additional stones for the hot rock grill and the extra oven did not materialize in Ft. Lauderdale, so they could not expand the grill, much to the chagrin of Francisco, who is in charge of that facility. However, the table setting for the hot rock grill now includes a nice chain with alligator clips to place around one's neck and attach to the napkin, forming a bib. That should be great news to a few of the Army guys like Wes, who get a little clumsy with their food on ships:).

We debark in Barbados Saturday, and I am told that more than half of the 500 odd guests aboard will do the same. There are 100 plus doing the 91 day full inaugural or longer. No really special event so far, other than the festivities in Ft. Lauderdale.

I will try to provide a concise review of our 27 days aboard the Spirit when we return home and I have more bandwidth and internet time. I'll try to post pertinent photos at that time.

Dieter

Dieter, great to hear from you, and happy Debbie and you are still enjoying

the Spirit. Mouth is watering at the mention of the pasta pappardelle...cruel, mention

Dieter. Doug's wonderful Spirit TA DVD came in the mail yesterday..thanks Doug and Lynn--it is a wonderful production (25min or so) eliciting many, many fond memories..but every momemt Dieter is in the camera, his beard has many bread or food crumbs embedded in it...theat new Grills under the star bib should also come in handy for you Dieiter.

Dieter; Since you've been in both the Silver suite and the Verandah suite, do you and Debbie think the Silver suite is worth the extra cost and are you satisfied with the Verandah suite? Lynn and I have changed to a B2B from 12/2-12/20, vice just the 12/11-12/20 cruise and are trying to decide between a Silver and a Verandah. Right now we're in 1006, but lots of time to change. Please pass the change on to Emmy. Thanks

Dieter; Since you've been in both the Silver suite and the Verandah suite, do you and Debbie think the Silver suite is worth the extra cost and are you satisfied with the Verandah suite?

Doug, The Silver has lots of room, huge closet, large veranda, very comfortable, king bed vs queen, but is high and forward. The veranda suite is comfortable, but the "narrows" at the foot of the bed can be a deal-breaker. If Miss Lynn spends a lot of time sitting on the sorry stool at the makeup mirror, make sure your drink is wherever you are, since you won't get past unless you vault the bed. Aside from the cramped closet, storage space is generous. And the shower and bathroom counter area and shelves are better, in my opinion, in the veranda suite. The narrow areas of the verandah are really hard for the butlers, especially the female ones, to negotiate with the heavy trays, so you'll see some interesting gymnastics if you use room service a lot. For overall comfort, take the Silver if the economics are okay. But the veranda is fine if you are willing to make some compromises due to the narrower profile.

Dieter

, but the "narrows" at the foot of the bed can be a deal-breaker.
As this cabin is very longish (must be long enough to occupy half of the ship's beam sans the corridor) and narrow (otherwise the overall cabin footage will be higher than Silversea wants for price considerations), we wonder why they cannot put the make-up station on the side instead of in front of the bed. They can put it on the outside of the walking closet wall, facing one side of the bed (presumably the side the lady will sleep on, nomatter which side she sleeps on at home). That will be similar to the case of the RSSC Voyageur and Mariner, the two larger RSSC ships, for example.

-------------------------------------

Please read our previous posting nearly two years ago http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733105&highlight=host+dan (posting #10) copied and pasted below:

This should still offer a full 3' of clearance between the end of the bed and the wall, ample for walking around the bed, with the "make-up module" moved to the wall between the side of the bed and the walk-in closet (which will benefit from the increase in cabin length). That being the case, the side of the bed facing this module will naturally be for the ladies, no matter which side she sleeps on in her own home, that should still be tolerable, I guess!

She is beautiful without makeup, or at least that's what he says! Makeup, if any is done, will be applied in the livingroom!
You are right. However, the male cat put his "junk" and wrote his diary on the only desk in the sitting area .. meow!

Would someone please tell me which cruise terminal the Silver Spirit leaves from?

• Rocha conde de Obidos
  • Alcantara
  • Santa Apolonia

Thankx very much.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

For our maiden transatlantic, we departed January 3rd from Rocha, right near the large April 25 bridge.

Gary

We've been to Lisbon around half a dozen times and have always been at Cais da Rocha Conde de Óbidos. However, none of these visits were on Spirit. As you probably know, the one certain way (assuming this is for when you are joining the ship) is to look at the port agent's contact details on the "leave-behind itinerary" and, I think, the cruise ticket. Call the agent the afternoon before and they will know where the ship will be.

Archived