MDR Food

In the main dining room, Can I have two or three appetizers if I want? I got to look at some menus, and I'd rather have 2-3 appetizers and no dinner. Do they give you that much freedom to make those choices? Also - If my husband wants two different dinners, is that allowed?

My Dh set a record to Carnival cruise lines a few years ago for the most Lobster tails eatin in one sitting 21.. :eek:.. but yes you can have as much or as little as you want. We susuallya re reallu undecided about what to eat so we order a few things adn try them. That is how I found out I like Talapia..Bon Apitit'e

My Dh set a record to Carnival cruise lines a few years ago for the most Lobster tails eatin in one sitting 21.. :eek:..

You're kidding - right?

If my DH tried that I'd probably move to another table!

In the main dining room, Can I have two or three appetizers if I want? I got to look at some menus, and I'd rather have 2-3 appetizers and no dinner. Do they give you that much freedom to make those choices? Also - If my husband wants two different dinners, is that allowed?

You can order multiple appetisers, but if you're doing "regular" scheduled dining then the problem is that you'll get them all at the same time - and you'll be sitting when everyone else is served their main dish.

The kitchen is so busy that it throws off the timing to bring out appetisers (or main dishes) at different times. But if you have My Time Dining then you should be okay.

My Dh set a record to Carnival cruise lines a few years ago for the most Lobster tails eatin in one sitting 21.. :eek:.. but yes you can have as much or as little as you want. We susuallya re reallu undecided about what to eat so we order a few things adn try them. That is how I found out I like Talapia..Bon Apitit'e

Wow.

You can order multiple appetisers, but if you're doing "regular" scheduled dining then the problem is that you'll get them all at the same time - and you'll be sitting when everyone else is served their main dish.

The kitchen is so busy that it throws off the timing to bring out appetisers (or main dishes) at different times. But if you have My Time Dining then you should be okay.

Actually I recently asked a waiter for a regular order with the lobster and shrimp, and at the same time asked for just a second tail as well. When my plate came out with one tail and five shrimp, I assumed he misunderstood and didn't say anything (it wasn't that important). Just as I was finishing my last bite from plate 1, he brought me a whole NEW (complete) plate. So they didn't both come at once and it didn't seem to throw anything off, really.

The guy next to me was starving one night, ate his dinner and then ordered a second and it didn't seem to take any more time than usual. I guess it all depends on the staff.

:)

YIKES...:eek:....I think that's taking it a little too far..Is there a picture of him up in the MDR..or is he on Carnivals "Do Not Upgrade List" ?? :rolleyes: If so are you now switching to RCCL because of this or to top his record?? Let us know when his talents will be on display in the MDR ;)

If you like one of the appetizers and none of the entrees, then order an entree sized portion of the appetizer. They'll gladly comply with your request. It truly is amazing what your waitstaff will do to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.

If you like one of the appetizers and none of the entrees, then order an entree sized portion of the appetizer. They'll gladly comply with your request. It truly is amazing what your waitstaff will do to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.

I was going to suggest this. On the appetizer pasta dishes, I believe it says right on the menu that you can order those as a main entree. My daughter has done that on many occasions.:p Have fun!

You can have as much as you want but always be mindful of waste. My friend and I often order several dishes to share rather than order a seperate meal for ourselves. After a day or so , our table mates have joined in and we order 1 of every entree on the menu for the table to taste and share . Than if someone has a particularly favorite , they reorder that one dish for themselves. That way waste is limited and you get something that you know will be enjoyed. Enjoying new taste experiences are a big part of my cruise experience.

Ditto, I've done this before when none of the entrees appeal to me. My favorite is a dinner sized portion of the risotto.

Nope not kidding. It was on the Smoke free paradise( when it was acutally smoke free)He ordered the steak and lobster tail ( which he said where as small as rock Lobsters) and left the steak and just kept eating the tails. He had half the dining room staff cheering him on. By the way I think it is important to note that he is from Nova Scotia Canada and that would be the only excuse for this kind of behavior. We did not have his cholesterol tested for a month afterward..I really didn't want to know what his numbers were.

ROFLMAO

cheers!!

Bless your husband! I hope he didn't get sick & I hope he thoroughly enjoyed his lobsters! My DH is a lobster lover too & I offered that he should order as many as he wanted. However, he only ordered 4, & I later discovered it was because he felt socially restrained. Had I known that, I would have ordered more for him. I would never leave the table or think less of someone because of what he/she eats (or wears, or how he/she eats). Once people recognize that they do not have the right to make decisions for or control others, there will be less divorces, anger, arguments, and so on. Happy sailings & keep those lobsters rolling in!

Bless your husband! I hope he didn't get sick & I hope he thoroughly enjoyed his lobsters! My DH is a lobster lover too & I offered that he should order as many as he wanted. However, he only ordered 4, & I later discovered it was because he felt socially restrained. Had I known that, I would have ordered more for him. I would never leave the table or think less of someone because of what he/she eats (or wears, or how he/she eats). Once people recognize that they do not have the right to make decisions for or control others, there will be less divorces, anger, arguments, and so on. Happy sailings & keep those lobsters rolling in!

OK I'm all for personal freedom but my question is:

At what point does the amount of entrees that a person eats disrupt and delay the flow of the dinner for all your dining companions?

Are all the other tablemates waiting for their coffee and dessert while taking bets that Old Charlie will stop at 20 tails?

Or does that not enter into the equation?

Just asking. I know that I personally would find such an eating display distasteful and inconsiderate at the very least.

Then again anyone who can eat more than 2 of those lobster things (as opposed to real Maine lobster) must have some redeeming qualities of

endurance and determination.

Flame away, call me old fashioned.

At what point does the amount of entrees that a person eats disrupt and delay the flow of the dinner for all your dining companions?

Are all the other tablemates waiting for their coffee and dessert while taking bets that Old Charlie will stop at 20 tails?

Or does that not enter into the equation?

I've had 3 dinners brought to me before. The 3rd one was at the same time everyone else at the table was getting their dessert. The waiter just kept them coming and didn't interrupt the flow of anyone else dining at all.

At least if you have a good waiter that's how it should go... I wouldn't want anyone waiting on me to finish before the next meal comes...

I usually order 2 appetizers and no soup with my entree. DH always orders the pasta as a side dish to his entree.

Also, if there is something special you would like that you don't see on the menu, ask your waiter to talk to the head waiter about getting it for you later in the cruise. They will if it's possible. I sometimes ask for escargot an extra night later on.

I've done the multiple appetizers and no entree thing several times (during 2nd seating dinner, not MTD), and I have never ended up sitting while others ate their main dish. And the appetizers do not come out all at once, but are presented one after another. The dining room staff is used to these kinds of requests and they handle them very smoothly, at least in my experience.

My Dh set a record to Carnival cruise lines a few years ago for the most Lobster tails eatin in one sitting 21.. :eek:

Hey I saw your husband! He's the one who got kicked out of the Chinese buffett!! :eek: "You eat to much! You go now! " :D;)

Archived