Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

Dear Grumpy and Slinkie,

You are right, Grumpy, we lost our head for a minute...what more could Slinkie ever need than you!! She is one LUCKY lady!!!! Happy Anniversary to the two of you. We count months as well and celebrate each one on the 3rd. of each month, and that's alot of months for 27 years don't you think?????

We wish that the two of you were sailing on the WC with us next year as we would love to meet you!!! Want to try it again???? How about the British Isles in August? Slinkie, Hong Kong is a shopper's paradise. No place better to shop in the world. Check out those ultra suede outfits they custom make for you at a great price and wear those new black pearls in the very best of health.

Would love to see another picture even if there is a weight gain. Thanks for saying hi to Tiffany for us. The WC is a wonderful experience for her and we are thrilled that she has been given the opportunity although we miss her here in San Diego.

Enjoy kids,

Karen and Bob

Prinsendam 2005 Feb 18, Day 36

Grumpy is glad to report that the cyclones that have been reported recently have not been able to find the Prinsendaam.

Me too. When I saw on TV about the storms, my first thought was of the Prinsendaam with Grumpy and Slinkie. Glad to hear that all is well and that you are safe.

I am sure enjoying the postings on this thread.

Thanks to you and everyone else.

BJ

When we saw on TV of the storms, our first thoughts were of the Prinsendam , Grumpy and Slinkie too. We are very happy you both are safe as well as everyone on the ship. When you get home Grumpy and well rested, I am hoping you will explain to me how the wireless works with my own laptop. Keep in mind I am not a computer guru but not blonde either hehehe :) Happy Aniversary too! We love reading your logs, and enjoying hearing about Slinkie spending money :) Please dont do anything to get kicked off the ship, we so want to keep reading about the cruise hehehehe :)

Thank you once again for your postings.

Very pleased to hear you enjoyed our part of the world.

Princendams timing is proving correct again,as you are blessed with a smooth crossing of the notorious Tasman Sea,

or as we locals call it ,

the "ditch",

between NZ and Australia.

All the best for your adventure,

David.

Grumpy-

You are wonderful! I just last night was exploring where we were going to stay in Auckland before we embark on our cruise. I had thought the Hilton might be close by....well you sure answered this gal's question. I have always wanted to be able to toss my luggage over the rail of my hotel veranda rather than have to carry it to embarkation!!!;)

Continued safe seas and blue skies!!:cool:

Grumpy and Slinkie,

Thank you so much for the wonderful voyage log! Like many others here, I look forward to seeing your posts on a regular basis. It occured to me that I will be cruising in about 65 more days and you will STILL be cruising when I leave for my 15 day transatlantic cruise!!! I need to figure out how I can get 4 months off WITH pay so I can go on a world cruise too!!!

One question --- what are "car wash pants"????? You mentioned them in your last post about formal nights.

Thanks!

SCLUVSRAIN (Sherita)

Vero Beach, Fl. 2:50 PM - 2/19/05 - Saturday - ;) (As I am posting - that is.)

http://www.coastalwatch.com/cam.asp?cam=3700

Dear Grumpie1 & Sklinkiecat -

Hope this site opens to show live Sydney Harbor Shots for you ...and all of those of us enjoying your World Cruise via the "CCMB" as we follow along with you.

Thanks for sharing your incredible journey so generousily and so interestingly:D

Happy Anniversary Grumpy and Slinkie! Now just which Anniversary is this...you have me confused.:confused: 30 Months or 30 YEARS??? My husband was reading along and he said 30 months. Let us know.

Slinkie.........wear your new Black Pearls in good health my dear!! I love pearls. My close girlfriends always tell me they'll make sure I'm buried with my favorite Pearl earrings on!! I told it's okay for the earrings, but for heaven's sake make sure my silly husband doesn't throw in the strands of pearls!! I'd haunt him forever!! Hee Hee

Grumpy......glad you were able to save a the craved bird from sitting on the shelf in the store!! :p

Thank you so much Margie Lady for posting the link--we could see Sydney harbour and the Prinsendam perfectly--great web cam.

Thanks again, Slinkie & Grumpy, and trust you enjoyed your time here. Your messages are making our winter pass quickly & we feel we are sharing your journey with you. What an experience.

Grumpy & Slinkie-

Thanks Again! This may be as close to a World Voyage as I ever get - but I'm still hoping. ;)

Love your reports - please keep them coming when you have time... I only hope you don't run out of internet access time.... maybe HAL will "comp" you some extra time in repayment for your ongoing commentary. :D

Prinsendam2005, Feb 20, Day 38

Slinkie and Grumpy have officially arrived in the land down under... they are tying the Prinsendam up to the pier right now. The trip across Kiwi Cruzer's big ditch... only a Kiwi could call 1000 miles of ocean a ditch...was smoother than expected. Slinkie told Captain Gundersen, the first day out of Auckland, that she liked the smooth ride, but felt that he should call in a few whales and dolphins to liven up the view. He said he had used up all of his points with the whale show coming into Hilo, but promised her an even smoother ride the rest of the way across to Sydney. There is a steady rain falling... hope it clears shortly. From their balcony Slinkie and Grumpy can see the idiots... er, make that fine folks that are doing the bridge climb. POURING RAIN and they're hiking up the bridge! Grumpy would enjoy doing that if it were twice as tall, but it's only 250 feet above the water... that's not very high for someone that spent 25 years on towers up to 2000 feet tall... so he'll opt for the elevator ride up the sky tower.

First step this morning is to clear immigration passport inspection and then our travellers have nothing planned until a wildlife tour this afternoon... nothing planned, in Slinkie's vocabulary means "are the shops open?" the Prinsendam is tied up at Circular Quay which is convenient to everything. There was talk a few nights ago that she might tie up at Darling Harbor, which would have been OK, but not as convenient, according to some that have been here before, as Circular Quay.

Will post more later.

Grumpy aqnd Slinkie

Margie Lady,

Thanks for that great web cam of Sydney. What a grey day you are having. We are having lovely sunshine down here. When the Prinsendam is in port on Wednesday, the forecast is for 33C which will be a warm one for everyone on board.

Jennie

Thanks for the link to the Sydney Harbour Web Cam. WOW. It took me a while to figure out how to control the camera, but once I did there was no stopping me. You can even see pax on their balconies and people moving around the Lido. And there are great views of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Too bad it is a wet day. But I am sure you, Grumpy and Slinkie, will enjoy seeing the sights no matter what you do.

Does anyone know of web cams for the Melbourne and Adelaide harbours? I would love to watch any activity when the Prinsendam arrives or leaves.

Must get back to take control of the Sydney web cam!

Cannot wait for your postings. You are really taking us around the world with your great descriptions of places and the ship. Thank you.

the Prinsendam is tied up at Circular Quay which is convenient to everything. There was talk a few nights ago that she might tie up at Darling Harbor, which would have been OK, but not as convenient, according to some that have been here before, as Circular Quay.

I liked Darling Harbor better than Circular Quay - much less crowded, a great aquarium, nice maritime museum (even an incongruous lighthouse) and lot's of good restaurants.

Circular quay is close to shops, of course, but maybe that's not your first consideration?

:) -dave

Port webcams can be difficult to find in advance, as you are not always sure exactly where the ship will be berthed. For example, I had 3 possibilities for Sydney and had to wait until the ship actually entered the harbour to determine which one worked. For Melbourne, the listed port on the itinerary is actually Geelong. With a bit of dilligent searching, which I always do in advance, these are the webcams that I am going to be watching to try to spot the P'Dam.

Melbourne: http://webcam.omni.net.au/ and select 04 Port Melborne. The P'Dam is supposed to dock Wednesday at 7:00 AM local time, or Tuesday at 12:00 noon, Pacific Standard time.

Adelaide: http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/data/outer/index.htm This camera is positioned at the entrance to the outer harbour. There are no buildings, piers, or anything, but hopefully the P'Dam has to pass by here. She is scheduled to dock next Friday at 7:00 AM local time, or 12:30 PM on Thursday, Pacific Standard Time. Since the best we can hope for is to spot her sailing by, timing will be evreything on this one. Not knowing how far the camera is from the dock, I'll start watching very early.

Time change is easy to calculate with the help of http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ It gives local time at a number of major cities, so you can compare it to your own time and calculate the difference.

ACD Jen just phoned home as I was composing this message. Grumpy had already told her that the world (or at least the cruise critics) had been watching on the webcam. Anyway, they docked to pouring rain, but the sun came out about 5 minutes ago and it looks like they will have a good day.

With regards to the Webcam for Melbourne, when you look at Port Melbourne, you can only see it in the very far distance in the centre. The actually waterway you are looking at in the foreground is our Yarra River and no cruise ship can get up it. I doubt if you will actually be able to see the Prinsendam at all.

If you click on the site below about 2-3 hours before docking time, which would be between 4-5am our time on Wednesday, you will probably be able to see the Prinsendam coming through our heads into our bay.

http://www.portofmelbourne.com/shipping/webcams/ptlon_cam.asp

Jennie

First thing first. Greetings to Grumpy and Slinkie and a warm welcome to Sydney. Many apologies for the rather wet day (understatement).... lets hope tomorrow is a bit brighter.

Have greatly enjoyed reading about your World Cruise. I would ask you to say hello to several friends on board, Captain Gundersen, Andre Schoonhoven, Fekko Ebbens, Sheri Baker, Stefan Carriou, but I will be on board for a visit tomorrow morning to will be able to do that myself!

I have made a note of your cabin number, #035. I will drop a card off at the Front Office for you. Lets see how good the on board post office is!

Stephen

To Aussie Gal and Atseadaze, re your posting several days ago....

Jennie, your signature photo is of Statendam (class) not Prinsendam!!!! :-)

You mentioned being on board Prinsendam last October. My wife and I joined in Venice on 16th October and disembarked in Fort Lauderdale on 20th November. Were you on board then?

Atseadays asked about S grade cabin 018. It is my favourite cabin! Ruth and I have sailed in Prinsendam on 9 cruises and six of them were in 018! One was in 010 and another in 002. First cruise on board, maiden transatlantic in '02 was in 034 or 038, can't remember the exact number.

Anyhow 018 is a great cabin and is in an excellent location. Very handy for the Neptune Lounge, just down the alleyway, immediately next to the stairs and only two steps to get out onto Lido Deck.

Since the Rotterdam V, Nieuw Amsterdam, Nooordam and old Westerdam have left us we have been on most of the other new ships and we prefer Prinsendam. HAL like to call her the Elegant Explorer, to me she is HAL's 'Yachtschip'!

I am certainly looking forward to seeing the ship in a few hours... all the new carpets and other changes made during the January drydock.

Stephen

Archived