Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

I just had a silly trivia thought since posting about you crossing the equator. Maybe someone reading this thread will have an answer. In the N. Hemisphere water goes down the drain clockwise, in the S,. Hemisphere it goes down anti-clockwise. What happens on a cruise ship as you go from the N to the S.?

Sorry, but that's an "urban legend". Water goes down the drain the same way in both hemispheres...

G & S-

You will be glad to know that you didn't miss any wardrobe malfunctions on the Super Bowl, just a well aging Rocker who still can rock and roll!:D (I know, I had the honor of seeing Sir Paul live in concert 2 years ago, he sang straight for 2+ hours, doing an acoustic set while this band took a break! Priceless :cool: )

Have a nice cool beverage as you all cruise into warm climates and make a toast of all us CC'ers freezin here at home. We are so enjoying your travels!!:)

Calm seas and blue skies!

How could I have forgotten, Grumpy. Of course Christmas Island is only a couple of days from Hawaii; NCL was sliding on down to Fanning Island to meet the "distant port" requirement until it got re-flagged. I just remember sailing around on that big ocean for days on end and forgot which island was which.

Glad you got to "see" the Patriots win, but you did already know the outcome! ;)

Sorry, but that's an "urban legend". Water goes down the drain the same way in both hemispheres...

Dakrewser, Hmmm, in November 2001 we crossed into the southern hemisphere on our way to go around Cape Horn etc. My wife and I made a point of filling up the sink and watching the water go down counter-clockwise. I don't claim to understand the physics (or whatever) of this, but I could swear that it happened. :confused:

Maybe Grumpy1 could run a test for us poor soles who are not sure about their memory.

Ruffin

Grumpy1, we have a couple of posts about whether the water goes down the drain counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere or not. My wife and I tested that theory ourselves a couple of years ago by draining the sink. We could swear that it did. How about you doing some "scientific research" for us and telling us the results?

I hate to bother a "rocket scientist" ;) with such trivia, but it would be appreciated.

Ruffin

As I live in the Southern Hemisphere, I have just done the water test, and yes it does go anti clockwise down the sink. My husband explained the reason to me years ago but I have forgotton, I think it was something to do with the moon, tides etc.

Jennie

Slinkie and Grumpy,

I hope you manage to meet ALSAS soon. They are a wonderful couple and if you eventually meet them, give them my love. We met them on a cruise in 2001 thru the Panama Canal and have kept in touch ever since. Unfortunately, we live in England so have only managed to see them once since then. Keep up the wonderful reports and if you meet our dear friends, you will have FUN!

Sue

Great job, Grumpy. Say hi to Slinky for us.

....I'm just wondering....with all those daily visits to the ice cream parlor, are you still able to report that your suit still fits great? ;)

Maybe someone here can post the link to the Prinsendam's itenary. I'd like to keep track of where she is....

Prinsendam 2005, Feb 8, Day 26

Good morning, everyone! You'll have to turn your monitors upside down to read this since Slinky and Grumpy are now south of the equator and using laptops designed for north of the equator... Dakrewser can probably post a link to the Penn State article that explains that phenomenon...

Yesterdeay was scheduled to be Christmas in February.. island, that is... the Prinsendam arrived at the island about 8:00am and was met by an outrigger canoe with a rather crude cabin and powered by a Yamaha outboard. The local navigator came aboard and for the next couple of hours the captain worked on finding a spot where the anchor would hold... finally got it secured. The tender took a scouting party of 4 and headed into the lagoon to the "tender dock", but there was not enough water under the keel to make it to the dock empty, let alone with a load of passengers. It seems that the water level was lower than usual, and that was made worse by the wind direction that was pushing water out of the lagoon... The scouting party then went over to the commercial jetty which is outside the lagoon and extends quite a ways out into the ocean. It's about 20 feet above the water, though, and the only place where a tender could dock would require a climb of 10 or 15 feet up a ladder to the deck... Not too good an option for many of the passengers... That dock is more than a mile from the little town of London where we were supposed to be, and there is no transportation, so the captain made the decision to abort the stop. There really is not much to do on the island... a few natives sell some handicraft items... there are some nice beaches... but, except for the few aboard that are collecting ports of call, there didn't seem to be much disappointment about not getting ashore. The Prinsendam was underway again in the early afternoon and headed for Apia, Western Samoa. Captain Gundersen is attempting to secure dock space earlier than the originally planned 12noon arrival... he's got a couple of days to work on it... He sent everyone a letter apologizing for the missed port and noted that the port charge of $14.37pp would be refunded and there would be a complimentary glass of champagne with dinner.

The ships's navigation channel on the TV has been erratic since the start of the cruise and for the last two days has been kaput... Fortunately, the ever prepared Grumpy has his trusty GPS and that's how he knows that at 8:20p last night the Prinsendam sailed past the equator... Since it was dark out at that time, the string of bouys that mark the equator weren't visable, though...There is a King Neptune ceremony scheduled for 2p this afternoon.

The International Date Line crossing will occur on Friday, Feb 11, after which it will be Saturday, Feb 12, for the remainder of the day. Just when Slinkie and Grumpy are getting used to 25 hour days, they start packing two days into one... any questions about how that happen, Dakrewser will post the official Penn State research on the subject...

OK, before this thread spirals down the drain, Grumpy will try to answer all of the questions about the whirlpools. He was going to attempt to do at least 10 sets of drainings on both sides of the equator in order to establish some scientific validity, but then he read the note on the bathroom mirror..."water is precious, please conserve"... so the science will just have to wait... Actually there is one thing that Grumpy is glad to report... the water still goes DOWN the drain on both sides of the equator. He doesn't give a dayum which way it swirls as long as it goes down! If it doesn't go down or comes back up, it's not a good thing... been there...

As far as that Coraopolis effect is concerned... not sure what a small town on the NW side of Pittsburgh has to do with whirlpools... but Dave will explain it...

Slinky is again complaining about the lack of aquatic life around the ship... if anyone has a few extra whales they would send out here, she would be most appreciative...

Cuttle, yes, there were actually hamburgers served in the Queen's Lounge for the Superbowl party. Actually, they had tables set up at the Starboard entrance with the refreshments. The burgers were do-it-yourself from a plate of small buns and a tray of small burger patties.. think Sliders, for those of you familiar with White Castle... they also had some small brats and hotdogs.

Sue Overend, Slinkie and Grumpy are still hoping to meet Alsas, but haven't gotten to the point of knocking on cabin doors to see where they live...

Well, tonight is Mardi Gras night... Slinkie and Grumpy have their official Mardi Gras masks and beads... Grumpy brought extra beads along in case any of the gals want to "earn" beads in the traditional Mardi Gras manner...

There was a question earlier about the gym facilities... so strictly in the interest of answering everyone's questions, Grumpy made a ten second tour of the facilities. There are six or seven treadmills and about the same for stationary bikes... rowing machine.. a couple of weight benches and 3 or 4 multi purpose workout machines. There is a steam and sauna room also. there might be a few more items in there, but Grumpy was not about to stick around there... people were actually working up a sweat in there... isn't cruising supposed to about relaxing?...a few laps around the deck is enough exercise... Deck 12 is officially the jogging track, so that is why it is astroturf instead of teak.

Local lady, you asked about getting settled into a routine on board... Slinkie and Grumpy's routine is not to have a routine. They look at the schedule and if something looks interesting, they do it. About the only routine is showing up for dinner at 8:15 each night. Other than that... it's all about keeping your options open.

Cristiano, thank you for you offer to advise on Sydney. Slinkie has been corresponding for several months with a couple in Sydney and will be meeting with them... perhaps another time, as we do want to come back for an extended stay in Australia someday.

For those asking about the itenerary...

Day ....Ports of Call.... Arrival..... Departure

Thursday, January 13, 2005 Fort Lauderdale - Port Everglades, Florida -- 05:00 PM

Friday, January 14, 2005 Cruising the Caribbean Sea -- --

Saturday, January 15, 2005 George Town, Grand Cayman 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Sunday, January 16, 2005 Cruising the Caribbean Sea -- --

Monday, January 17, 2005 Cartagena, Colombia 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 Scenic cruising the Panama Canal -- --

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 Scenic cruising Golfo Dulce -- --

Thursday, January 20, 2005 Caldera (Puerto Caldera), Costa Rica 05:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, January 21, 2005 Cruising the Pacific Ocean -- --

Saturday, January 22, 2005 Santa Cruz Huatulco, Mexico 01:00 PM 06:00 PM

Sunday, January 23, 2005 Acapulco, Mexico 08:00 AM 12:00 AM

Monday, January 24, 2005 Zihuatanejo (Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo), Mexico 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Tuesday, January 25, 2005 Manzanillo, Mexico 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

Thursday, January 27, 2005 Cruising the Pacific Ocean -- --

Friday, January 28, 2005 At Sea -- --

Saturday, January 29, 2005 Los Angeles, California 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Sunday, January 30, 2005 Cruising the Pacific Ocean -- --

Monday, January 31, 2005 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, February 1, 2005 At Sea -- --

Wednesday, February 2, 2005 At Sea -- --

Thursday, February 3, 2005 Hilo, Hawaii 12:00 PM 08:00 PM

Friday, February 4, 2005 Honolulu, Hawaii 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Saturday, February 5, 2005 Cruising the Pacific Ocean -- --

Sunday, February 6, 2005 At Sea -- --

Monday, February 7, 2005 Christmas Island, Australia 10:00 AM 04:00 PM

Tuesday, February 8, 2005 Crossing the Equator -- --

Wednesday, February 9, 2005 Cruising the Pacific Ocean -- --

Thursday, February 10, 2005 Apia, Upolu, Samoa 12:00 PM 06:00 PM

Friday, February 11, 2005 Crossing the International Date Line -- --

Sunday, February 13, 2005 Vavau, Tonga Islands 07:00 AM 02:00 PM

Monday, February 14, 2005 Cruising the Pacific Ocean -- --

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 At Sea -- --

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 Tauranga, New Zealand 08:00 AM 07:30 PM

Thursday, February 17, 2005 Auckland, New Zealand 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

Friday, February 18, 2005 Cruising the Tasman Sea -- --

Saturday, February 19, 2005 At Sea -- --

Sunday, February 20, 2005 Sydney, Australia 10:00 AM --

Monday, February 21, 2005 Sydney, Australia -- 06:30 PM

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 Cruising the Tasman Sea -- --

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 Melbourne, Australia 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

Thursday, February 24, 2005 Cruising the Tasman Sea -- --

Friday, February 25, 2005 Adelaide, Australia 07:00 AM 11:00 PM

Saturday, February 26, 2005 Cruising the Indian Ocean -- --

Sunday, February 27, 2005 At Sea -- --

Monday, February 28, 2005 Albany, Australia 07:00 AM 02:00 PM

Tuesday, March 1, 2005 Perth, Australia 12:00 PM 11:00 PM

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 Cruising the Indian Ocean -- --

Thursday, March 3, 2005 At Sea -- --

Friday, March 4, 2005 At Sea -- --

Saturday, March 5, 2005 Bali, Indonesia 08:00 AM 11:00 PM

Sunday, March 6, 2005 Cruising the Java Sea -- --

Monday, March 7, 2005 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, March 8, 2005 Crossing the Equator -- --

Wednesday, March 9, 2005 Muara, Brunei 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

Thursday, March 10, 2005 Cruising the South China Sea -- --

Friday, March 11, 2005 At Sea -- --

Saturday, March 12, 2005 Hong Kong, China 06:00 AM --

Sunday, March 13, 2005 Hong Kong, China -- --

Monday, March 14, 2005 Hong Kong, China -- 10:00 PM

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 Cruising the South China Sea -- --

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 At Sea -- --

Thursday, March 17, 2005 At Sea -- --

Friday, March 18, 2005 Cruising the Gulf of Thailand -- --

Saturday, March 19, 2005 Laem Chabang, Thailand 08:00 AM --

Sunday, March 20, 2005 Laem Chabang, Thailand -- 08:00 PM

Monday, March 21, 2005 Cruising the Gulf of Thailand -- --

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 Kuantan, Malaysia 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 Singapore 06:00 AM 10:00 PM

Thursday, March 24, 2005 Strait of Malacca -- --

Friday, March 25, 2005 Phuket, Thailand 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

Saturday, March 26, 2005 Cruising the Andaman Sea -- --

Sunday, March 27, 2005 Cruising the Bay of Bengal -- --

Monday, March 28, 2005 Madras (Chennai), India 06:00 AM 10:00 PM

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 Cruising the Laccadive Sea -- --

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 Colombo, Sri Lanka 07:00 AM 10:00 PM

Thursday, March 31, 2005 Cruising the Indian Ocean -- --

Friday, April 1, 2005 Cruising the Indian Ocean -- --

Saturday, April 2, 2005 Crossing the Equator -- --

Sunday, April 3, 2005 Victoria, Seychelles 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Monday, April 4, 2005 Cruising the Indian Ocean -- --

Tuesday, April 5, 2005 At Sea -- --

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 Pt. Louis, Mauritius 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

Thursday, April 7, 2005 La Possession, Reunion 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

Friday, April 8, 2005 Cruising the Indian Ocean -- --

Saturday, April 9, 2005 At Sea -- --

Sunday, April 10, 2005 At Sea -- --

Monday, April 11, 2005 Durban, South Africa 06:00 AM 05:00 PM

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 Cruising the Indian Ocean -- --

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Cape Town, South Africa 12:00 PM --

Thursday, April 14, 2005 Cape Town, South Africa -- 06:00 PM

Friday, April 15, 2005 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Saturday, April 16, 2005 Walvis Bay, Namibia 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

Sunday, April 17, 2005 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Monday, April 18, 2005 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 Jamestown, St. Helena Island, United Kingdom 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Thursday, April 21, 2005 Georgetown, Ascension Island,08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, April 22, 2005 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Saturday, April 23, 2005 At Sea -- --

Sunday, April 24, 2005 At Sea -- --

Monday, April 25, 2005 Fortaleza, Brazil 07:00 AM 05:00 PM

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 Passing Sea Buoy -- --

Thursday, April 28, 2005 Scenic cruising the Amazon River -- --

Friday, April 29, 2005 Passing Sea Buoy -- --

Saturday, April 30, 2005 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Sunday, May, 2005 At Sea -- --

Monday, May 2, 2005 Bridgetown, Barbados, West Indies 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Tuesday, May 3, 2005 Cruising the Caribbean Sea -- --

Wednesday, May 4, 2005 Cruising the Atlantic Ocean -- --

Thursday, May 5, 2005 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 AM 03:00 PM

Friday, May 6, 2005 Fort Lauderdale - Port Everglades, Florida 08:00 AM --

Grumpy and Slinkie

OK, before this thread spirals down the drain, Grumpy will try to answer all of the questions about the whirlpools. As far as that Coraopolis effect is concerned...

Note, though, that the Prinsendam spiraled around the O'dam in a counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for you Brits) manner in Puerto Vallarta...

[why would you even know about Coraopolis?] The "Coraopolis effect" is the feeling that all good CMU (a.k.a., "Carnegie Tech") students get when making the wrong turn after leaving the Pittsburgh airport...:)

Dear Grumpy and Slinkie:

Every day the first thread I check is your WC postings. Even my daughter asks me daily "so, how's Grumpy & Slinkie's cruise going?"

Thank you for brightening my day with your reports - you are an incredible writer and I so look forward to each installment.

Calm seas, blue skies and black pearls for Slinkie!

Slinkie and Grumpy,

Welcome to the Southern Hemisphere and also soon you will be in our time zone or near enough to it, give or take a few hours. At least it will be the same day as we are having here. Sorry you have to lose a day but you will gain it back on the way home.

Jennie

:mad: Sorry we are not on this wonderful adventure with

Grumpy & Slinkie!!!

"Thank you" is hardly enough for the joy your postings are providing!

Since finding the post (which I stayed up most of the night to read- start to present) I am now subscribed to be notified with your new adventures! Like many other CC 's, we are enjoying your cruise through your mind's eye and great sense of humor.

Your postings are a treasure for all of us.

What a Great Looking Couple!

Hope our cruise paths cross some day!

Thanks Grumpy and Slinkie, for your replies, your postings, your research. I say "here, here," to all the accolades. You make everything so very interesting and we are all aboard with you. Glad you didn't waste the precious water doing the research!!!:D :D

Thanks for posting the itinerary. The complete itinerary had already been removed from the HAL website when I started to read your postings. And anyway they would have only shown day 1, day 2 etc. not the dates. Now we can follow along and dream of being there. Thanks again.

Archived