Help with accessories for this dress, please

Warmer Climes

I said I wasn't buying any more dresses for cruising but I found this great buy on an Elie Tahari aqua silk dress and it was so different from anything else I have I had to get it. (It looks like a dark green in thie thumbnail- it is actually a medium to darker aqua color). There is no "bling" on it so I'm thinking go bigger with the jewelry, and I wonder if you think silver or gold.

288183592_Taharidress.jpg.86007c82b10fb1ba1ae3dd7b1ca166e6.jpg

I think either would work with the dress--what looks best with your coloring?

I'm not sure, I am ghostly white with blue eyes and dark brown hair (the Irish in me.)

Do you think the dress calls for bigger jewelry? I dress like I'm going out to dinner in a nice restaurant every night on the cruise, so this would be for a "smart casual" dinner.

Thanks,

Barb

Beautiful dress, I would say go with silver depending on what kind of shoes you wear.

Thank you. My 11 y.o. said silver also. I have some beautiful silver earrings with amethysts and some dark greenish-blue stones that DH bought me in Mexico a few years ago but they are not large and I am thinking the dress calls for something larger. I also have large silver hoops.

Barb

I said I wasn't buying any more dresses for cruising but I found this great buy on an Elie Tahari aqua silk dress and it was so different from anything else I have I had to get it. (It looks like a dark green in thie thumbnail- it is actually a medium to darker aqua color). There is no "bling" on it so I'm thinking go bigger with the jewelry, and I wonder if you think silver or gold.

I think the dress is so simple so you need to wear something big accessories,as for the colors if you will use it in simple day,it is advisable the color silver.But in case in a semi formal occasion you should wear the gold one...;)

IMO, the dress is an elegant shape in a beautiful colour. I would let it and your dramatic colouring speak for themselves by keeping the jewellery to either longish drop earings (in silver or mother of pearl or emeralds, real or fakel) or a simple (not very large) pendant, not both. The choice might depend upon whether your hair covers your ears and neck or not.

Then perhaps silver shoes and a clutch in a shade toning with the dress (or vice versa)?

I think simple = more elegant (hence the old "rule" about twirling in front of the moirror and taking off what catches you eye) but go with what looks best to you.

At first glance I think silver, but I agree with Carmen. Find the "What Season Are You" thread here and take a look through it. I am a summer so silver jewellery is much better on me ... makes my skin look healthier and more "alive". Off the top of my head I would guess you are either a spring or a fall, in which case gold may be better for you. But do spend a few minutes on that thread.

I do like the thought of a necklace with some weight - not a simple chain, unless you wear a group of chains. I like some of the costume jewellery chains that are out there now --- something like this has some weight and "show" yet isn't too flashy or dressy.

712948_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

or this

508492_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

And I'd go with earrings too - and probably a larger hoop --- but then I never go anywhere without earrings!

Just my totally uneducated opinion.

BTW - the dress is very pretty!

Any metallic will work---they're all "neutral"....you can even "mix and match" your metals!

They may technically be a neutral, but they aren't all your best neutral. Tan/khaki is a neutral, but I look like death warmed over (or not even that good) if I wear it around my face!

I agree that silver sounds like it would work the best with the colour. I don't agree, however, that a necklace is the way to go. I think that neckline is dramatic enough on its own, and to me, a rounded chain doesn't go with a V-neck -- the shapes don't seem to match. Instead, I'd look for a dramatic cuff bracelet to go along with statement earrings.

Pretty dress!:D...love the style and the color! Personally, I would wear

a white metal with it.

Looks like you have a lot of different opinions;)...but that happens

alot on here.:)

With a deep v like that I would wear necklace~my neckline would feel

naked without one.

Necklace, earrings and a bracelet:)

Enjoy your cruise:)

I agree that silver sounds like it would work the best with the colour. I don't agree, however, that a necklace is the way to go. I think that neckline is dramatic enough on its own, and to me, a rounded chain doesn't go with a V-neck -- the shapes don't seem to match. Instead, I'd look for a dramatic cuff bracelet to go along with statement earrings.

I don't have my color sheets with me right now, but it seems like you are a summer or winter, which means white gold or silver jewelry. I agree with above poster, no necklace needed with your beautiful skin tone!! ~~B~~

Thanks, everyone for your help. I am going to try everyone's ideas and see what looks best. I tend to wear pearls or vintage 1940's-50's jewelry but is it true that pearls are not for evening wear? I hope I don't sound too hopeless with these questions.

The dress is one that looks a little blah in that thumbnail but it is beautiful construction and fits me perfectly. It's like the Prada black evening trousers I bought and wore last year on my cruise. They feel incredible when they're on. I like a bargain and never pay full price but I am coming around to the idea of fewer clothes but better quality.

Thanks again. The posters here are the best.

Barb

Archived