Does anyone at HAL read these posts?

Liz 130

Just curious if anyone at HAL reads these boards. On other lines it is quite obvious that they do. On Cunard - the captain of the Queen Mary was known to read multiple message boards - and told me that he found information there that he would never know otherwise.

Interesting!

HAL once "did some detective work and tracked me down" (as the contact person phrased it) to telephone and discuss something posted by me on this board.

That was a cruise where I'd posted my cabin number on a CC roll call thread re: sailaway party. Probably that information made me traceable.

As others have said, some do follow CC from comments they have made to me. Some a truly interested in what folks on CC have to say. However, please remember that despite our own view of our importance, we are a very, very small % of their passengers.

I have been to Meet and Greets on numerous cruises and have really enjoyed them. All but one were on ships carrying somewhere between 1200 and 1400 passengers. The largest group I have been with had about 40 people (plus a few no-shows). So, 40 out of 1200 equals 3-4% of their passenger load. And, even the 3-5% or CC folks will not agree on most controversial issues - just read the boards.

So, while I am not saying we do not count, we may not be the powerhouse some on this board seem to feel we are.

As others have said, some do follow CC from comments they have made to me. Some a truly interested in what folks on CC have to say. However, please remember that despite our own view of our importance, we are a very, very small % of their passengers.

I have been to Meet and Greets on numerous cruises and have really enjoyed them. All but one were on ships carrying somewhere between 1200 and 1400 passengers. The largest group I have been with had about 40 people (plus a few no-shows). So, 40 out of 1200 equals 3-4% of their passenger load. And, even the 3-5% or CC folks will not agree on most controversial issues - just read the boards.

So, while I am not saying we do not count, we may not be the powerhouse some on this board seem to feel we are.

We aren't the powerhouse some on this board seem to feel we are? I thought our theme here was, like the song sings, "We are The Champions..........of the World!" Ha, ha, remember that song. So fun!:)

Kind of hippie stuff by now, though.

Do you work for HAL or do you have connections their?

DutchbyAssociation does work for HAL and has his own Sticky (permanent Thread) at the top of this board, and you can ask him HAL related questions. The direct Link to his thread is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=921874

Joanie

HAL once "did some detective work and tracked me down" (as the contact person phrased it) to telephone and discuss something posted by me on this board.

That was a cruise where I'd posted my cabin number on a CC roll call thread re: sailaway party. Probably that information made me traceable.

I was once 'tracked down' by a person who, at that time, worked in Seattle HAL Office. He read posts I had written on another BB and because of my mentioning I was sailing on a certain date, on which ship, back-to-back in a Suite, process of elminiation and his computer search made it easy. He had a particular reason to contact me based upon something I wrote.

I was shocked at first and then realized, Duh..... of course, he could figure out who I was. He wrote me on e-mail address I had registered on the other BB site and asked I call him, if I wished.

This was years ago.

Another time, a Hotel Manager sought us out on a ship. Again, I had given enough info about our sailing in posts I wrote here on CC, cabin category etc that process of elimination (and use of his manifest) made it easy for him to figure out our cabin number. We ultimately became and still are very close friends. It was very fun when he approached me and addressed me as "sail". He knew my real name but wanted me to know how/why he found me.

So long answer made short....... Yes. I am sure there are some folks who are associated with HAL that read Cruise Critic. I don't think they post very often and read very much more than any of them post.

My bride and I took a cruise out of Port Canaveral (our first and last on Holland, and their last from that port) in April 2005 on the Zaandam. We weren't impressed, but the icing on the cake was when we had a personal bottle of wine stolen from our room by our room steward. I wouldn't make this accusation other than the fact the staff searched his gear and found our bottle. It wasn't anything very special, but the label was still wet from where he had taken it out of our ice bucket. His excuse was he was distracted while delivering it to us in another stateroom. We weren't in another stateroom. We didn't know anyone else on the ship. There wasn't even a stateroom with the number he said he tried to deliver to. I'm guessing he doesn't work for Holland any longer.

Anyway, we discussed the incident with the hotel manager on the ship and she was very nice and polite. She responded by offering us another bottle of wine. We weren't trying to get anything from Holland because this was, as I said, the icing on the cake. The ship had just gone to voluntary tipping and the staff just didn't seem to care.

Oh well. Years ago. But if Holland really reads these, I thought I'd take the time to share this nugget. Wherever your paths take you, take time to enjoy the scenery.

bruce.

I've never heard of a cabin steward stealing wine. So. This is the absolutely first time I will wonder if this is true.

Anyway, thanks Joanie about the link. I'm so lazy that I doubt I will look it up tonite (tough day at the office).

Well, if HAL is listening, I'd better not let on about my "secrets" relative to trays, tipping, and smuggling booze in rum runners. How do I know about rum runners? I read the CARNIVAL boards, silly!:) Haha.

So HAL, if you're reading, please bring a ship back to NY to do the Caribbean. We miss the Noordam !

I don't think there's much hope of that, Carol. They've been "sold out" sailing all of the ships out of Florida in the winter. And, they use so much fuel from NYC to get to the Caribbean and back...as opposed to sailing out of FL and "puddle jumping" around the Caribbean.

I wonder which is greater: The number who have "jumped ship" or the number who still sail HAL...whether out of NYC or Port Everglades. I'll bet they track that.

they usually say that they regularly read CC so they can improve service on issues discussed here. It's not like they are looking for smugglers or rule breakers but how they can run their departments better. One bar manager told me that he regularly looks for comments about brands to have in the bars and tries to get the ship stores to supply them. He also brings his favorite rum with him as they don't serve it on the ships.

I don't think there's much hope of that, Carol. They've been "sold out" sailing all of the ships out of Florida in the winter. And, they use so much fuel from NYC to get to the Caribbean and back...as opposed to sailing out of FL and "puddle jumping" around the Caribbean.

I wonder which is greater: The number who have "jumped ship" or the number who still sail HAL...whether out of NYC or Port Everglades. I'll bet they track that.

Sheila, I really do believe that more and more people are reluctant to fly and if that's the case, they would welcome any ship on the east coast. If necessary, they will jump ship for one of the options available out of NY, NJ, or wherever.

Archived