Does back of ship cabins make you seasick?

gdpups

I have a cabin booked on the back of the Serenade and now have been told the vibration of the back of the ship can make someone seasick? Do I need to change cabins??? My husband was really looking forward to this cabins, but he can get seasick.

We love the aft, but there is more motion/vibration there. It's not unpleasant, at least to us, but we have noticed it more on the aft than midship.

Just know that not evryone reacts the same to the movement of the ship.

That. My thinking is that if you're going to get seasick, you're going to get seasick. Most people don't, but some do. I think stateroom location has very little to do with it, it's more a question of if you're prone to motion sickness to begin with.

I always stay midship cause I tend to get seasick. I never have on a cruise. I don't want to take a chance, so as a precaution, I always take the non drowsy pills that they offer on the ship and they work perfect for me. When I'm in the theater I notice the vibration, but again it doesn't bother me since I take the pills.

I can get very seasick. I love the aft cabins! I have felt a vibration but that is very different from the ship rocking and rolling and doesn't bother me at all. Now if you hit very rough seas you will get some motion back there but you're going to feel it all over ths ship if that's the case. Worse in the very front of the ship than in the back.

I say keep the cabin. The balcony is awsome! Take along some Bonine just in case. This works well for me.

As dixiva said, the vibration is just that, a vibration from the props and not a rocking or rolling movement that you may think. DW loves the vibration (she says it lulls her to sleep...). I got used to it pretty quickly and didn't notice it anymore after a day or so. The higher the aft cabin, the less vibration you feel.

--------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

I have a cabin booked on the back of the Serenade and now have been told the vibration of the back of the ship can make someone seasick? Do I need to change cabins??? My husband was really looking forward to this cabins, but he can get seasick.

Just spent January 9 to 23, 2010 on the Serenade in cabin 8172 - AFT. The vibration I felt was only when we first started to move from the pier. Other than that there was not vibration at all.

Aft cabins are great.

I love the Rhapsody and have cruised on her four times - twice in an aft cabin. That being said, I did feel more vibration in one of her aft cabins than I ever felt in either of my afts on the Serenade's sister ships - the Radiance and the Jewel. In fact, there were times on both that we left I a port and I had no idea that we were even moving.

One good thing to think about with respect to this year's Seranade itineraries is that the distance between ports is generally very short and the ship will not be traveling as fast as say one does when it's hauling to get from Miami to San Juan. Hopefully, this helps those who are prone to get seasick.

The OP is cruising on Serenade: so experiences on Rhapsody and Voyager are not relevant. I also experienced terrible vibrations aft on Rhapsody a few years ago. But that was NOT the experience on Brilliance, Jewel and Radiance, sister ships to the Serenade. So the OP will probably not experience any problems with Serenade.

We had an aft Jr. Suite on Rhapsody last month.......lots of vibration that really did make me nauseated. In rough seas, we were both down for the count!! Even with my bands on I felt icky, Bonine helped.

Hi Do you think you could tell me what number cabin you had on

Rhapsody as we have booked our first JS aft for October and just want to be sure. I get seasick, but have never been sick on Rhapsody

Thanks

The only time I ever got sick enough to puke was in a rear cabin, but it might have been food poisining as it only lasted the first two days

Vibration doesn't make people seasick, it's the rolling motion.

One difference, though, is that the beds are oriented 90 degrees off from the ones on the sides. So, when you laying in bed, what's a side to side motion in most cabins is a head to toe motion in an aft cabin. I don't get seasick, so I don't know if that's better or worse but it's definitely different.

Hi Do you think you could tell me what number cabin you had on

Rhapsody as we have booked our first JS aft for October and just want to be sure. I get seasick, but have never been sick on Rhapsody

Thanks

I have cabin 8590 for 18 days in March, so I will let you know when I get back :)

I had an aft balcony cabin on a Transatlantic Princess cruise. 14 evenings of cocktail parties for spectacular sunsets! Felt nothing from the seas (but we had flat seas the whole trip), occasional noise from the thrusters during dockings in Europe (but we got to see docking on both sides). The only downside for me was that the hallway was so long from our cabin that it seemed to disappear over the horizon!

One good thing to think about with respect to this year's Serenade itineraries is that the distance between ports is generally very short and the ship will not be traveling as fast as say one does when it's hauling to get from Miami to San Juan. Hopefully, this helps those who are prone to get seasick.

Right on as far as distances and speed go. On return from Barbados to San Juan the max speed was 14.5 knots at night. On return

from Grenada to San Juan, a longer distance, the max speed was 16.5 knots. We were on the starboard side forward. There was some rolling but no pitching,

There is a group of cruisers on SOS who book the aft cabins every year and rave about them. And I mean every year. They're already booked for 2011. I'm sure if there were vibration problems they wouldn't book them.

Surprisingly the only major vibration and noise that we picked up on was on the fifth deck at the staircase behind the Centrum, primarily when they

were running the diesel when in port, and that was surprisingly noticable. Other than that, all quiet on the western front.

Archived