Isn't CCL so understanding

hlb76

Oh please, he's not going on a Grand Tour of the Continent. It's a bloody Carnival cruise! An hour of videogames isn't going to turn his mind to mush. Really, Dan, Fun Ship ... not Floating Classroom!

Actually it has been fun when we come home from cruises and kids are learning about the regions we just visited. This happened a few years ago after going to Ocho Rios. My sons text book had the same picture we had taken of the bay. My youngest learned about USVI and Puerto Rico as we got back. He was the class celebrity talking about the places. I wish I had pictures back by then. It would of only help his status :cool:

Some people on here are just flat out rude! And very pompous ! And some are very understanding. It's a bad deal all around, and everyone gets that it could have been avoided. But at what point in your like do you prepare for EVERYTHING? Do you wear a freaking helmet when you cross the street because there has been times where things that have fallen from buildings and hit people on their heads? Yeah I understand thats rare, but I would think its kinda rare for theft too. Everything in life can be avoided, but no one lives their life that anal to where they protect themselves from every little element all the time. I just really think Carnival could have pretended to act just a little bit more concerned. Running a busniess is all about customer service, that doesn't mean giving things away or taking responisilty for anything and everything. What it means is that as you, the customer, are the ones that make their company survive. And if you have customer concerns, they should be adressed to the BEST of the comapnies abilities.

Furthermore, There is nothing wrong with alowwing a child with some exposure to electronic entertainment! It would be cruel to just make them sit and do nothing on a plane and in the terminal ! Playing games all day while on the ship, or watching TV, well thats a different senerio completely!

I'm sure if it was a possession of Carnival's the matter would of been addressed.

You got that right! On our first cruise in '07 we had a balcony and and inside room. One of the towels went missing from our balcony cabin and although our room steward was great, he made quite a big deal about it. Turns out it ended up in the second room.

Carnival towel $20 PSP $$$$

Cassi

It would be cruel to just make them sit and do nothing on a plane and in the terminal ! Playing games all day while on the ship, or watching TV, well thats a different senerio completely!

Boy how did we survive back in the day with our cruel cruel parents:D:p

Carnival Corps and every other cruise lines official policy is that they are not responsible for anything. But it would be nice if they could at least pretend to care. Their form letters are so impersonal as to be insulting. They must receive thousands of complaint letters a year and their only recourse is to assume no liability.

While I can feel for the OPs son losing his toy. I do not see where Carnival can be held responsible for its loss when no proof exist of where or when it even went missing. Hopefully a lesson has been learned by all who read this thread.

So, what does that have to do with packing an expensive toy in a bag? The entire bag wasn't taken was it? So, your logic doesn't work or even apply in this situation.

My point was that you do pack valuable items in your luggage. You may not place a great deal of value on them, but they can be expensive to replace. Have you ever packed a $250 pair of shoes? Did you even give a thought to the fact that they are valuable. How about a $300 suit? or $70 tie? $250 dress? $100 snorkel set. That you see no point to stealing any of these items does not diminish the fact that they do get stolen.

This is no different than the liability when you park your car in a parking garage, stay in a hotel, check your luggage on a flight. Why is it people expect a cruiseline to do more for them?

There is a big difference. Parking garages do not force you to give checked luggage to un-supervised third parties; and as we have observed just this week with Carnival, unlocked luggage. Hotels do act concerned when something is stolen out of a room. Airlines often assume a tiny amount of liability when items are stolen from your luggage.

In the case of cruise lines they assume no liability unless the luggage is actually in the hands of one of their employees. They specifically disclaim any liability for shore-side handling. And they abandon luggage in public hallways and disclaim liability for doing so. If a hotel bell boy left you luggage in the hallway and something was stolen from it the hotel would be liable.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Truly, I agree. So why don't you employ it more often?;) The fact is that what seems like common sense to you is not necessarily what I deem common sense and vice versa. Not only that but I'll bet there are literally dozens of opinions of what constitutes common sense to be found in the relatively small community of this thread.

I can't believe anyone is hung up on the fact that they even brought the game.....that's a joke...... So what if they bring something to entertain them. Whether is was a game or an expensive suit, it doesn't change the fact it was stolen. People don't NEED to bring expensive suits either, but they should be allowed to. To be critical just because a kid "brings" this for some small entertainment is pathetic. Not everyone is like you so deal with it !

Well we got all of out bag put away the clothes and things we needed and never even thought about the things the boys used to busy themselves on the plane. When it was time to pack to leave the kids where rearrnaging there bags and ready to recharge toys and we notice my sons PSP case was gone. The couple of movie cases still there. We researched the room. Then started doubting did we really pack it. So let it go hoping to get home and find it at home. We where not so lucky. This was also the first time we opened the cases to find they where empty.

I guess I'm a little confused. You know you had it on the plane and in the hotel and at the pier at embarkation. But your son didn't want to carry his duffle, so you checked it with a porter. Your son got his bag in his cabin, but didn't play with the machine all week long?

Then when packing to leave you discover it's missing, but the cases are still there. I'm wondering why you wouldn't have immediately gone to the pursers desk? If you knew that the machine had made it onto the ship and into your cabin then the issue is with your room steward.

Then you put your bags out the last night knowing that it wasn't in the bag? But you were thinking that you might have left it at home even though you already stated that you knew you had it on the plane and at the hotel. Because from Carnival's response it sounds like they were given the impression that the items were stolen after you packed and left your bags in hallway on the last night.

So, did your son or one of the other kids or a friend that he made that week ever play with the game? If so is it possible that a buddy he met on the ship might have stolen it?

I do agree one missed placed towel or missing water bottle CCL charges for it right away no questions asked. Its up to use to dispute the claim and hopefully win. We did not even have a large water bottle in our room this last cruise. I made sure and noted it with everyone it is yet to be deterimed if we get charged for it. Its' only a $5 bottle of water but I dont care to pay for it when I did not drink it.

But that's a whole other subject.

Here's a thought I just had. With the new unlocking policies of luggage I can see now people will be afraid to leave there belongs meaning rthey will be dragging them all through the lines at check-in. Through the buffet lines as we cant get to our rooms until after 1pm. Wont that be a fun line to wait in :eek:

Homeowners insurance.

And these games have no place on a cruise. Your son learns NOTHING playing games in the cabin. Travel should always be a learning experience.

wow, that's a bit of a miserable contribution to the thread.......... I really sympathise with the OP, she has posted and admitted that things could have been done differently and that she bears partial responsibility.

All she seems to be after is a bit of sympathy and commiseration from CCL and not a lot else. I find their response somewhat heartless, likewise some of the comments here.

When was the last time your son recalls actually having the game in his hand? Could he have left it in the hotel? Were the pockets zipped or could he have left the pockets unzipped and the game fell out? The problem is it was handled by so many that it would be hard to pinpoint where it went missing. Of course needless to say, you should have made sure he did not put it in his bags that were to be checked. It makes for a very sad and expensivie lesson for a young boy. Sadly it happens probably on every cruise. And there is always the possibility that your son left it somewhere on the ship and another kid may have thought oh well finders keepers.

I do understand though that your main complaint is that the cruiseline's response was just an uncaring form letter. A little caring goes a long way.

Annieeee

Well we got all of out bag put away the clothes and things we needed and never even thought about the things the boys used to busy themselves on the plane. When it was time to pack to leave the kids where rearrnaging there bags and ready to recharge toys and we notice my sons PSP case was gone. The couple of movie cases still there. We researched the room. Then started doubting did we really pack it. So let it go hoping to get home and find it at home. We where not so lucky. This was also the first time we opened the cases to find they where empty.

I guess I'm a little confused. You know you had it on the plane and in the hotel and at the pier at embarkation. My hubby who sat with him on the plane remembers him playing the rock band game he just got for x-mas. I watched a movie with my youngest on his. We tried to get the internet to work at the hotel no free wi fi. But seeing both kids have the same system and the exact same case we starting to second guess who's we got out at the hotel. No one wants to believe there stuff was stolen so of course we tried to retrace our steps and thought maybe it was left at home. Even though we knew it was gone. But your son didn't want to carry his duffle, so you checked it with a porter. Yes all the stuff that he had in the plane was in his duffle. He did not want to carry it on the ship as we could not get to our rooms for a while. Your son got his bag in his cabin, but didn't play with the machine all week long? No niether kids had any desire to play with it all week. There are strictly brought fo entertainment in airports and on planes. On the ship we are way to busy to play hand held games.

Then when packing to leave you discover it's missing, but the cases are still there. I'm wondering why you wouldn't have immediately gone to the pursers desk? Like I said no one wants to believe there stuff was stolen. We wanted to make sure before we accused anyone. I was unaware where it went missing. If you knew that the machine had made it onto the ship and into your cabin then the issue is with your room steward. We dont know if it even made it on the ship. My guess is it did not. I dont blame a room steward off the bat as some here do.

Then you put your bags out the last night knowing that it wasn't in the bag? He carried his bag off with him. It was only left unhandled by a member of our family after we left it with a porter.But you were thinking that you might have left it at home even though you already stated that you knew you had it on the plane and at the hotel. As I said we starting second guessing ourselves we are not ones to jump the gun and go point fingers right off the bat. Because from Carnival's response it sounds like they were given the impression that the items were stolen after you packed and left your bags in hallway on the last night.

So, did your son or one of the other kids or a friend that he made that week ever play with the game? Nope once the bags made it to the room he unpacked his hats and belts and I stored the bag within the other luggage under my bed. As I mentioned before. They never had others in our room. Other than our travel mates and they helped us look for it in our room. If so is it possible that a buddy he met on the ship might have stolen it? I doubt it but anything is possible I guess. Burt either way its no longert in our hands.

I am so sorry that this happened to your son, I know I would just hate it if it had happened to my child. You just hate to see them unhappy. I do not understand people who steal from others!

Maybe a miracle will happen and you will find it. Good Luck.

I do agree one missed placed towel or missing water bottle CCL charges for it right away no questions asked. Its up to use to dispute the claim and hopefully win. We did not even have a large water bottle in our room this last cruise. I made sure and noted it with everyone it is yet to be deterimed if we get charged for it. Its' only a $5 bottle of water but I dont care to pay for it when I did not drink it.

But that's a whole other subject.

Here's a thought I just had. With the new unlocking policies of luggage I can see now people will be afraid to leave there belongs meaning rthey will be dragging them all through the lines at check-in. Through the buffet lines as we cant get to our rooms until after 1pm. Wont that be a fun line to wait in :eek:

There is no new unlocking policy, it is only suggested by Carnival that passangers unlock their bags. This has been posted over and over on these boards the last couple of days. Carnival has already backtracked on the policy chance and changed the wording to "suggested ".

My point was that you do pack valuable items in your luggage. You may not place a great deal of value on them, but they can be expensive to replace. Have you ever packed a $250 pair of shoes? Did you even give a thought to the fact that they are valuable. How about a $300 suit? or $70 tie? $250 dress? $100 snorkel set. That you see no point to stealing any of these items does not diminish the fact that they do get stolen.

So what do you do with your suit, tie, dress and snorkel set once you get to your hotel room or cabin? Do you keep these items locked in your luggage or do you shove them in to the safe?

Don't mind Dan; he's a nice guy but he also has a habit of yelling at kids to get off his lawn, if you know what I mean.

Yelling could cause a sore throat. The power nozzle on the hose is much better.

The Classroom of Life is in session 24/7/365. They are either learning what you want them to learn. Or they're learning what someone else is teaching them.

What I learned here is that the child is in control. Which is so often the case today. Parents deathly afraid of being parents.

Archived