Isn't CCL so understanding

hlb76

Ok some of you may of heard if you read other posts I have commented on. We just recently got back from our cruise on Liberty. We had our first bad experince. Well the cruise was great but my oldest son had his PSP and all of the games, movies and accessories that went with it stolen.

We had it on the plane, we had it in the hotel when we double checked all of your stuff. I am also a freak about checking room before we check out of a hotel. I have been stupid enough to leave stuff before. He did not want to carry his duffle on board so he checked it with the porters. In the main pocket of his duffle he had his extra shoes, some homework, a few other odds and ends. If the side pockets where his hats and belts. Yes he is a freak about this stuff. In the front pocket was his PSP a few games in cases. His PSP case hold his PSP and about 10 games.

Well we got all of out bag put away the clothes and things we needed and never even thought about the things the boys used to busy themselves on the plane. When it was time to pack to leave the kids where rearrnaging there bags and ready to recharge toys and we notice my sons PSP case was gone. The couple of movie cases still there. We researched the room. Then started doubting did we really pack it. So let it go hoping to get home and find it at home. We where not so lucky. This was also the first time we opened the cases to find they where empty.

We sent Carnival a email letting them know of our loss. This was our response.

Thank you for contacting us about your cruise aboard the CARNIVAL LIBERTY.

We are so sorry to hear you discovered items missing from your bag. You're right; once you place your bags outside your cabin for pickup, you should feel as though your bags are safe. Occurrences such as this are rare, but because they are outside of our control, Carnival does not assume liability for loss or theft of money, jewelry, and other valuables left in the stateroom, luggage or public areas onboard.

Nevertheless, we thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Please don't let this color your opinion of us. We'd love to welcome you back aboard another Carnival cruise.

Sincerely,

Victoria Castro

Carnival Cruise Lines

Well gee that makes it all better right?

I do take some of the blame we should of checked out bags right away, and should of reported it missing right away. Better yet we should of never handed something like that over to the porters. Of couorse we dont know where it went missing. The luggage went through many hands before it reached our room. And matter of fact it could of been in our bag when it reached our room and a guest could of helped themselves.

moral of the story is we learned a hard yet valueable lesson. I can whine complain all I want it wont get my stuff back. We contacted CCL not expecting them to replace it but to let them know what happened. I personally am a little offended by the repsonse though. Oh well we had a great vacation all the same. Now to start saving to replace my sons investment. I feel extra bad seeing he saved his money to eran it all himslef. I dont have the money to replace it for him.

Their response is because too many people DO expect something that is really their own responsibility. The best way to go and it's what I do is pack absolutely nothing of value in anything that goes to the porter. Besides a couple of porters, several other hands touch those bags and only some of them are Carnival eployees.

I'm just trying to figure out if you weren't looking for anything in return and just wanted to let them know, why you are so upset by their response? Your post is a little inconsistent.

bombarded with more of these, should they really enforce the no locks on the suitcases. In writing they are claiming again, no liability. Fat chance I will be leaving anything unlocked boarding or debarqing!

:You're right; once you place your bags outside your cabin for pickup, you should feel as though your bags are safe. Occurrences such as this are rare, but because they are outside of our control, Carnival does not assume liability for loss or theft of money, jewelry, and other valuables left in the stateroom, luggage or public areas onboard."

Sorry to hear about the boys toys being taken. My son would have been mad.:mad: Especially seeing that your son earned the $$ himself!

My feelings are there are things they CAN do in these situtations. They could contact the ship to see if anything was left, ask ppl that serviced our room, look over video tape to where bags are handled. If it was left behind somewhere or fell out or what have you. It def would be nice to get it back. Or even act like they care about my sons loss. I was not expecting a I'm sorry here is a Best buy gift card go repalce it all. I just think they could of made some effort to look into these things. There was someone on our sailing asking about filing a police report about something missing once as we where at the pursers desk. So maybe this was a common thing on this cruise?

At least when we contacted the hotel and airlines covering all of our bases they checked around some or at least pretended too. Not just well its not our fault come sail again.

Yes its a Playstation portable with lots of games and movies. The unit itself was $169 brand new and all the games prices from $10-$50 he had. So like I said i cant afford to replace it all. And our homeowners has a decutable and we would still be out the $$ all the same. So now he just has nothing fun to use on car rides and airplane rides. He used to like to surf the web even at home on it as well.

Probably shouldn't leave any easily taken electronic items in luggage that's not in your possession at all times. It's sad, but that's the world we live in.

I wouldn't expect Carnival to pay for everyone's missing PSP, iPod, netbook, camera, etc. Imagine how much our cruise rates would increase to cover all the claims filed.

I have never put anything valuable in a checked bag. EVER.

Too bad there's creeps in the world, but there's creeps in the world.

Kinda reminds me when I sailed Disney, and came down with the Norovirus the day after getting off their ship. I contacted them immediately, so they could take some precautions, included cleaning down my ex cabin.

I got a letter back telling me that they take no responsibility, blah, blah, blah, and I got PO'd that I wasted that time, as well as for caring.

I'm guessing the item was a video-game machine? Wow. I'm trying to grasp the idea of that on a cruise, but that's beside the point.

Your homeowner's insurance policy might be a recourse for you.

PSP= Playstation Portable, a hand held gaming device.. From what OP said, it sounds like it was brought only for entertainment on the plane.

I think the OP made some valid points. She wasn't asking for the unit to be replaced but even a half hearted response saying they would check with the ship or steer her the right way with who to call at the port would have been better than a form letter.

I have never put anything valuable in a checked bag. EVER.

Too bad there's creeps in the world, but there's creeps in the world.

Exactly! i guess we have been lucky in the past and never had things stolen. I normally move that stuff to my carry on bag but for whatever stupid reason I did not this year. I really did not even notice Josh Left it with the porters until we got to security. I was going to remind him about his belts but he had checked his bag. Hindsite is always 20/20

I am a very overly trusting person anyway. A good ol' Minnesota nice kinda girl.

Once again LESSON LEARNED!

Did you have travel insurance? Depending on the policy, they may cover these items.

We had insurance that covered a few sweaters/sweatshirts that we left in our stateroom by accident (and that mysteriously "never turned up" in the Carnival Lost and Found). Once we had a letter from Carnival stating that we had called to report them lost and they hadn't found them, we bought new ones to replace them and sent the receipts to our travel insurance company and were reimbursed.

Something to check into if you did purchase insurance for your trip.

Never put valuables in checked bags.

thats what I said on the locked luggage thread, and people posted how much their toothbrush and clothes cost ...

I said back, electronics are the biggest temptation, thats what people mean about valuables you shouldnt check.

OP Im sorry this happened, even if you knew better than to check them, with so much going on, things happen that shouldnt. Our CD even reminded people not to put wine and that sort outside their cabins.

What a bad loss for your kids :(

I think the OP made some valid points. She wasn't asking for the unit to be replaced but even a half hearted response saying they would check with the ship or steer her the right way with who to call at the port would have been better than a form letter.

It is sad how customer service is these days. I only wrote to them once, but I got back a garbled, bad grammer, nonsense letter that parts even made no sense and had nothing to do with what I wrote to them about. I dont know if its just they have too many cases to answer to take the time to make sense or be nice or what.

It is sad how customer service is these days. I only wrote to them once, but I got back a garbled, bad grammer, nonsense letter that parts even made no sense and had nothing to do with what I wrote to them about. I dont know if its just they have too many cases to answer to take the time to make sense or be nice or what.

They would be better served both financially and PR wise if they did away with the customer service dep't completely if it is made up of staff who are unable to make decisions or write real words in a response.

Lesson learned the hard way...

Never, ever pack valuables in your luggage. Always keep them with you in a carry on.

Always buy trip insurance that covers loss like theft.

Never expect a cruise company, airline or other travel venue to compensate for articles over which they exert no control.

Don't expect more than a sympathy letter.....that's all they can do.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's loss. I just went through a very similar circumstance, with a contractor that stole my kid's portable game system. Fortunately...when we notified the boss...he checked into it and recovered most of our stuff.

I'm a pretty trusting person myself, but I do carry all valuables with me.

It's a very expensive lesson learned!

They would be better served both financially and PR wise if they did away with the customer service dep't completely if it is made up of staff who are unable to make decisions or write real words in a response.

Well, Iv read some posts here who had PVPs give them bad advice too and wrong advice. So, its not limited to just those who answer letters.

The letter I got back, I dont have any more, but one part said about how different categories have different prices (now you know me, I know that and wouldnt have commented on it in my letter to them) and another part just made no sense. A TA sent my comments in so they got the reply too and were like ...

nunu, where is your little shrugging guy ... the TA said well at least Carnival answered.

We sent Carnival a email letting them know of our loss. This was our response.

Thank you for contacting us about your cruise aboard the CARNIVAL LIBERTY.

We are so sorry to hear you discovered items missing from your bag. You're right; once you place your bags outside your cabin for pickup, you should feel as though your bags are safe. Occurrences such as this are rare, but because they are outside of our control, Carnival does not assume liability for loss or theft of money, jewelry, and other valuables left in the stateroom, luggage or public areas onboard.

Nevertheless, we thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Please don't let this color your opinion of us. We'd love to welcome you back aboard another Carnival cruise.

Sincerely,

Victoria Castro

Carnival Cruise Lines

~~

Would CCL ever be responsible for anything?? They've pretty well covered the whole ship. What if someone lost some jewelry or something from their cabin? Anything? Camera, cell phone, sunglasses, whatever. You know it was there; now it's gone. CCL is not responsible for that either, huh? It sounds like everything is beyond the control of CCL.

I understand that the porters are not CCL employees. But if something goes missing while on the ship, CCL is not responsible for that either, I guess.

We lost a camera on board Carnival one time; went to the purser's desk to see if anyone had turned it in; we described the bag it was in. She walked into the room behind the desk, looked around briefly and said, "no". DH saw into the room and it was right there. He made her go get it; he was fairly po'd about the whole thing, that she (it seemed) deliberately overlooked it. Makes you wonder.

OP, I am sorry your son has had to go through this.

Shay

bombarded with more of these, should they really enforce the no locks on the suitcases. In writing they are claiming again, no liability. Fat chance I will be leaving anything unlocked boarding or debarqing!

:You're right; once you place your bags outside your cabin for pickup, you should feel as though your bags are safe. Occurrences such as this are rare, but because they are outside of our control, Carnival does not assume liability for loss or theft of money, jewelry, and other valuables left in the stateroom, luggage or public areas onboard."

Sorry to hear about the boys toys being taken. My son would have been mad.:mad: Especially seeing that your son earned the $$ himself!

Hope Cameron didn't get his mad lessons from me!!!!

When did the item go missing?

OP says they had it when they left the hotel. The next time they looked for it was the day before they were to get OFF the ship. In the mean time the bag has been handled by cab drivers, hotel bellmen, porters, longshoremen, and Carnival employees, including the ones that haul bags around, and possibly the stewards. (It is also possible that the pouch wasn't zipped and the thing fell out, though with the missing videos that seems unlikely.)

While it is a shame to lose the stuff, who knows when it disappeared.

I am not a Carnival cheerleader, and I agree that there canned response seemed a bit terse (who knows how many letters like OPs each week trying to scam them) but unfortunately if they took responsibilty for these things you coudl expect the price of every crusie to go up by about $25 per day.

Lesson for all, never pack anything of value in checked luggage.

Archived