Quest Staterooms

katkell

Can anyone tell me, which is better, Aft or Forward on Deck 7. Am going to book and there are lots of Staterooms available in 1C, but have read lots about vibration in Aft.

Thanks for your help

We did 24 days in an aft suite on deck 8 and experienced no vibrations. Forward facing staterooms can experience wind. Watching the wake from an aft stateroom cannot be beaten.

We have done two cruises in 7065, and one in 7018 ( the rooms are identical internally). Both are very comfortable, we noticed no noise or vibration in either. We did notice what I would describe as minor vibration ( noticeable but didn't really rattle your chops) on deck 7 aft of the aft elevator stack and in the dining room far aft.

I would tend to stay midships to forward, myself.

Hope that's useful.

Can anyone tell me, which is better, Aft or Forward on Deck 7. Am going to book and there are lots of Staterooms available in 1C, but have read lots about vibration in Aft.

Thanks for your help

Hi Katkell !

As others have said, forward gets more of the ship movement, and aft gets some vibration (nothing too severe though). Given the 2 choices, I'd lean towards Aft. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

We are currently in a forward Royal Suite (#7005) and the only time we experience vibration is when the bow thrusters are used at docking or departure. Wind has been a non issue, even on sea days at 14-17 kts because its been cancelled by the prevailing tradewinds here in the South China Sea. Had we been sailing in the other direction, the verandah would have been very breezy. You do feel the motion more on this ship due to its size, but its not unpleasant.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help

We completed a cruise on the Journey in January 2010. We were about as far forward on Deck 7 as you can be, without getting one of the corner suites or one of the staterooms under the bridge without a balcony. We encountered heavy seas (waves up to 12 feet) and strong winds (up to 50 mph). There was a LOT of pitching and pounding during four nights--sleep was difficult and sometimes impossible. The balcony was often unusable because of spray and salt residue. However, we had never encountered those conditions before, and it is unlikely that you will. Apart from the motion, we liked the location because it is convenient to the sundeck and the gym. When the ship was at cruising speed or above, we noticed a strong vibration in the main dining room aft. We were glad that we didn't have a cabin in that area. With hindsight, we wish we had spent a little extra for a cabin in the middle.

We were in 7104, aft. no vibration that I remember. You can feel some in dining room at times, but didn't where our cabin was.

Thanks for your help

Returned from Ancient Empires Cruise in November of 2009. Cabin 7110, second to last cabin on port side. This room as good as any in the middle of the ship. Very quiet, excellent views,for a standard verranda room. Do not take the last cabin on either the port or starboard side on level 7 as the views are somewhat restricted. Due to the size of this vessel, everything and all events were an easy and short walk.

Encountered some rough weather for 2 days, but hardly noticed it in this cabin. I am sold on an aft cabin.

Best Wishes, John

We had 7111 (aft starboard) on our recent SE Asian cruise and loved the cabin so much we have booked it again for next year! We didn't notice any vibrations. It was a lovely quiet area too.

We have also had more centrally located cabins on Pacific Princess and actually preferred the aft location on Quest.

We had a couple of rough rides, but nothing extreme and we really didn't notice any additional movement in our cabin, although one night we were seated at an aft dining table near the rear window and noticed the movement here.

Have a gret cruise!

Returned from Ancient Empires Cruise in November of 2009. Cabin 7110, second to last cabin on port side. This room as good as any in the middle of the ship. Very quiet, excellent views,for a standard verranda room. Do not take the last cabin on either the port or starboard side on level 7 as the views are somewhat restricted. Due to the size of this vessel, everything and all events were an easy and short walk.

Encountered some rough weather for 2 days, but hardly noticed it in this cabin. I am sold on an aft cabin.

Best Wishes, John

John, thanks very much, this is the cabin I have booked. I was hoping someone would respond with regards to this one. I suppose it has the added advantage of not having passing traffic as well

Thanks for your help

Well, we just got off Quest, like both and felt no vibrations in either. We normally book forward staterooms so started off in a forward stateroom on Deck 7. We than moved to a PH Suite (7119, corner aft) on Deck 7.

If booking a 1C we would take forward as we like to see where we are going and they are closer to the gym.

We normally book forward staterooms so started off in a forward stateroom on Deck 7. We than moved to a PH Suite (7119, corner aft) on Deck 7.
Hi Jade & welcome back! So how did you like Azamara? Would you cruise with them again? I'd love to know your impressions since our travel preferences often seem very similar to yours.

Also like you, we're in the minority who prefer forward staterooms. We're booked in a 2A forward on Deck 7 for our upcoming transAtlantic on Journey. But do tell, how did you start in a forward & end up in PH aft? And did you like the location better?

Hi Jade & welcome back! So how did you like Azamara? Would you cruise with them again? I'd love to know your impressions since our travel preferences often seem very similar to yours.

Also like you, we're in the minority who prefer forward staterooms. We're booked in a 2A forward on Deck 7 for our upcoming transAtlantic on Journey. But do tell, how did you start in a forward & end up in PH aft? And did you like the location better?

Hi MightyQuinn,

Well, it was our best cruise ever! (Note we decided not to compare with the small expedition ships including to Antarctica and Galapagos because they are just too different).

We were having a great time the first two days, and decided it was our favorite ship even though we stayed at a hotel in Hong Kong the first night because we had a free room. We started in starboard stateroom 7011 and things got even better when we won Penthouse Bingo and were moved to 7019 for the last 12 nights.

Apparently this PH Suite was not sold so they gave it away in a Bingo game of coverall. It was a smart marketing move which we have never seen on a cruise ship. Normally they upsell or upgrade their best passengers, but here they made some money off of the Bingo. Initially there was a tie and DH played sudden death with 4 corners Bingo with another passenger, which we won. Also, they could just have given us the Suite without the included amenities, but that is not what they did.

The PH came with two Butlers (and the assistant Butler had an assistant). They moved all of our belongings down the hall. Other amenities included 2 items each for free pressing, a bottle of champagne, a couple large bottles of water, a bottle of Gin and a bottle Whiskey which I changed to Baileys, and our stateroom stocked with unlimited Colas, High Tea upon request, and lots of food brought at 5:00pm (cheese platter, fruit platter, shrimp platter and 4th platter different each day). We also had reservations to Prime C anytime we requested. We were invited to a Bridge Tour, Engine room Tour and Galley tour. We also had an invite to a Dinner with the Captain and Senior officers which included all the PH and Suite guests (20 total) and was held in the Drawing Room with harpist playing throughout dinner. This was a 6 course dinner with wine pairings. Each course and wine paring was introduced.The Executive Chef came out as well as the pastry Chef.

Do not miss the Pool Grill "Burger Bar", which is the best one we have been to at sea. We pretty much ate there every day we were on the ship. Captain Carl Smith was great and everyone we met knew us by name. One time we saw the Captain and he commented that he hadn't seen us in two days.

We have booked a future cruise, but will be changing the itinerary once the ones after April 2011 come out. It is $100.00 to book onboard (non refundable like HAL but you have to pick a specific cruise to keep the low deposit). This itinerary can be moved. It comes with on-board credit ($200.00 per stateroom for 11-13 nights and $300.00 per stateroom for 14 nights or more).

Also note, I was thinking of you while onboard because DH wants to do a transatlantic with lots of sea days. I am not sure if the April or November dates will work for us but we will be looking to see what comes out for 2011. One back to the USA would be great, but ideal would start in Rome vs Barcelona.

I mentioned your Cyber name and DH started singing the Mighty Quinn song, so you will have to remind me how your handle was chosen.

I still would go for a forward cabin on most ships if choosing a standard Verandah. They are closest to the gym and closest to the shows if going to those after dinner.

Well, it was our best cruise ever!

We were having a great time the first two days, and decided it was our favorite ship even though we stayed at a hotel in Hong Kong the first night because we had a free room. We started in starboard stateroom 7011 and things got even better when we won Penthouse Bingo and were moved to 7019 for the last 12 nights.

Wow Jade! You scored big time. No wonder this was your best cruise ever. ;);)

I'm so happy to read your positive comments about the ship & service. We won't have all the luxe celebrity treatment that you got with your PH but we're still looking forward to our humble veranda. I sure hope we don't get less attention because we're not Captain's Club members - that's always a lingering doubt in my mind since RCCL/Celebrity seems to put a lot of emphasis on their past guests.

We're also really keen to see how Azamara stacks up against Oceania, which is definitely our fave cruise line at the moment. We had our best ever on-board experience recently on Regatta & we hope Journey will be as good.

We have booked a future cruise, but will be changing the itinerary once the ones after April 2011 come out. It is $100.00 to book onboard (non refundable like HAL but you have to pick a specific cruise to keep the low deposit). This itinerary can be moved. It comes with on-board credit ($200.00 per stateroom for 11-13 nights and $300.00 per stateroom for 14 nights).
Thanks for this info - good to know. That amount of OBC is more generous than HAL & is a nice incentive to book on-board. We hope to do the same thing. I assume the on-board booking is transferable back to a TA.

I was thinking of you while onboard because DH wants to do a transatlantic with lots of sea days. I am not sure if the April or November dates will work for us but we will be looking to see what comes out for 2011. One back to the USA would be great, but ideal would start in Rome vs Barcelona.
Jade, we usually gravitate towards port-intensive itineraries, so we didn't know what to expect when we booked our first transAtlantic (BCN-MIA) on Oceania Regatta. I must say that we loved it! We got caught up in all those wonderful consecutive sea days & never looked back. We liked it so much that we're doing the reverse sailing (MIA-BCN) on Azamara Journey.

You may want to check out the inaugural sailings on Oceania's new ship Marina which will launch in Jan 2011. There are a couple of transAtlantics. We've booked the last of the inaugurals, an eastbound crossing (MIA-BCN) for March 2011. It has lotsa nice sea days and also visits some new & interesting ports. If you prefer Europe to USA, you can sail on the Maiden Voyage (BCN-MIA) in Jan 2011 or wait for a fall sailing. But do take a look at Marina - I think it'll be a dazzling ship.

Because the hull comes up more so than in a traditional balcony cabin.

If you are short and sitting down all you will see is the hull.

and very little water.

The balcony size is nice, but the view is constricted

We had the last stateroom which is 7119, but I guess you mean the one next to the end, PH Suite?

Wow Jade! You scored big time. No wonder this was your best cruise ever. ;);)

I'm so happy to read your positive comments about the ship & service. We won't have all the luxe celebrity treatment that you got with your PH but we're still looking forward to our humble veranda. I sure hope we don't get less attention because we're not Captain's Club members - that's always a lingering doubt in my mind since RCCL/Celebrity seems to put a lot of emphasis on their past guests.

Thanks for this info - good to know. That amount of OBC is more generous than HAL & is a nice incentive to book on-board. We hope to do the same thing. I assume the on-board booking is transferable back to a TA.

MightyQuinn, go to the Cruise Critic party and you will not have any problems. To be honest we had the invite to the Bridge before we won the Bingo. This was so differant than our Celebrity cruise which refused to do a cruise critic party on a 5 night cruise even though a Captains Club Elite member called and we had at least 25 participants.

They asked at the Azamara CC party if people had any questions and I asked about a Bridge Tour. They immediately came over to me and put us on the list. We did end up going with the group of PH and Suite Guests. As far as the Engine room tour, I went to the Friday night Sabbath service and ran into the head of Security who turned out to be Israeli. He wanted to know if I remembered him from the Bridge tour and said we needed to see the Engine room...So, I was getting the invites without being in a Suite or an Elite past passenger. Also note that Elegant Tea is open to everyone, which again was so different than Celebrity where you often need to be "Elite".

Archived